Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 04:51 PM   #701
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:13 AM
That's the thing, I don't think there is a solution like that.

The only thing that will work is to reduce the number of guns, and regulate the shit out of the ones that people can still own.

Either that, or we have to figure out a way for men to not get angry anymore.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #702
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:13 AM
The whole "common sense gun control" will sort all this out argument is nothing but political posturing. It's just as much as a lie as when the GOP says that the solution is good guys with guns.

I remember after one of these shootings, I can't remember which one, President Obama lamented that America can't seem to pass "common sense gun control" measures "like the UK and Australia".

In a way, that comment is complete garbage and 100% correct at the same time. It's garbage because in those countries "common sense gun control" means private citizens cant own most guns. Now tell Americans that and see if they regard that as "common sense gun control." That's what I mean about not being honest about the debate. Don't say "Australia did it, why can't we"...tell the truth and say "Yeah, we're going to need your guns. Pretty much all of them." I wonder what would happen if a US politician said that. Hmmmm. In Australia, the so-called buy back program was mandatory. See how that goes over in the US. To say nothing of the fact that the "common sense gun control" that are being held up as models are in countries that don't have a Second Amendment. So why even mention them, unless you've going to suggest repealing part of the Bill or Rights?

On the other hand, he was right in that if politicians are really serious about doing something about this, it's going to take that kind of solution. But of course most politicians in both parties don't have the courage to be honest with Americans and tell them that.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:40 PM   #703
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:13 AM
i'm running out of sympathy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=WEExlz7YktI
Old 11-06-2017, 05:42 PM   #704
Refugee

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Have any of the amendments ever been abolished/repealed/amended? Is there any precedent?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #705
Refugee

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I don't want that country to be the leader of the free world any more.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #706
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post

She’s just one dumb person on a morning talk show full of dumb people and watched by dumb people (including Trump, who tweets about things he sees on this show that make him angry), but this is an insight into the 33% of the population that still approves of him.

Fewer things incense me like a mass shooting. But I’m getting a little fed up. Like, what does anyone suspect, not justnwoth the laws, butnwith an entire media infrastructure willing to explain away mass death on the regular like this.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #707
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Have any of the amendments ever been abolished/repealed/amended? Is there any precedent?
Sure. The Twenty First Amendment (prohibition) comes to mind.

But beyond that, I can't think of any. Repealing an Amendment, or changing the Constitution, is extremely difficult, by design, under the best of circumstances. And in today's political environment it's essentially impossible.

Think about it...the only time it's been done is because everyone agreed it was time to let people have a drink again. Which I think is about the only thing Americans can agree on today.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #708
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6783.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	11546

Invest in Rocket Lab.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #709
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick66 View Post
The whole "common sense gun control" will sort all this out argument is nothing but political posturing. It's just as much as a lie as when the GOP says that the solution is good guys with guns.

I remember after one of these shootings, I can't remember which one, President Obama lamented that America can't seem to pass "common sense gun control" measures "like the UK and Australia".

In a way, that comment is complete garbage and 100% correct at the same time. It's garbage because in those countries "common sense gun control" means private citizens cant own most guns. Now tell Americans that and see if they regard that as "common sense gun control." That's what I mean about not being honest about the debate. Don't say "Australia did it, why can't we"...tell the truth and say "Yeah, we're going to need your guns. Pretty much all of them." I wonder what would happen if a US politician said that. Hmmmm. In Australia, the so-called buy back program was mandatory. See how that goes over in the US. To say nothing of the fact that the "common sense gun control" that are being held up as models are in countries that don't have a Second Amendment. So why even mention them, unless you've going to suggest repealing part of the Bill or Rights?

On the other hand, he was right in that if politicians are really serious about doing something about this, it's going to take that kind of solution. But of course most politicians in both parties don't have the courage to be honest with Americans and tell them that.

In your legal opinion, instead of focusing on change, why not focus on the original intent and what a well regulated militia really means?
Old 11-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #710
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

That would mean changing the makeup of the Supreme Court, and currently the SCOTUS (with a good deal of precedent behind it) views the Second Amendment as an individual, not collective, right. See District of Columbia v. Heller.

Of course, there's lots of legal scholarship on both sides of this issue, but at the end of the day the Constitution means what the SCOTUS says it means. So you either change the Constitution, or you change the Court.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #711
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I'd prefer a hospital, but okay.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #712
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I'd prefer a hospital, but okay.
Jesus can't save you in a hospital.

Duh.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #713
Blue Crack Distributor

A ban on semi automatic and automatic weapons

ALL firearms registered

A ban on high capacity magazines and gun modifications

End the gun show loop hole

Require licensing for all gun owners

Full and thorough background checks on all gun purchasers

Nationwide voluntary buy back programs
Old 11-06-2017, 07:47 PM   #714
Blue Crack Addict

While this fictitious leader is at it, he or she might as well start saying "big government" and embracing it.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #715
Blue Crack Distributor

I forgot one... Allow the relatives of victims to sue gun makers.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #716
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

One thing that would help in many of these “it’s a mental illness problem not a gun problem’ shootings, is regulating and require background checks on the purchase of ammo and ammo filling supplies.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #717
Blue Crack Distributor

We do have a horrible problem with mental illness in this country. It needs to be addressed.

But until some loony stabs 50 people to death, the focus should be on the guns.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:54 PM   #718
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
We do have a horrible problem with mental illness in this country. It needs to be addressed.

But until some loony stabs 50 people to death, the focus should be on the guns.

The U.K. has virtually no access to guns.

Find a terrorist incident of any kind that wasn't a bomb that managed double digits. It probably doesn't exist.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #719
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:13 AM
Quote:
I forgot one... Allow the relatives of victims to sue gun makers.
Yes. My mom and I were talking about that recently. Bars are now held liable for their customers' welfare, to the point where they could risk losing their licenses if they don't see to it their customers are safe. That same method should definitely apply to gun sellers and makers.

I'm not even going to click on that link about that lady's comments, because I don't want to risk breaking my computer screen. The comments in response to it give me enough of an idea of the stupidity. I'm definitely with Irvine in losing any sympathy for the pro-gun side. I really, truly do not give a damn what their feelings are on this issue.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 PM   #720
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Absolutely. But you’re a hypocritical groupthink when you’re saying this as you also cheer on the gutting of a healthcare bill that at least started to address it.