Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 35 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #681
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:27 AM
What will happen from this shooting:

1> We're sending Thoughts and Prayers
2>. Now is not the time to talk about gun legislation (it's too early )
3>. We'll wrap ourselves in the 2nd amendment (with our trusty "assault" rifles by our side) *
4>. Nothing

* See what I did there Nick?

Old 11-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #682
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:27 AM
Regarding your "thoughts and prayers" comment, found this article online earlier discussing the frustration over the use of that phrase:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-fe...052644272.html

Loving the Twitter responses being quoted and referenced in that article.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:09 AM   #683
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Local Time: 10:27 PM
WTF is POTUS talking about? There was no one shooting in the opposite direction until the shooter was done massacring 26 people.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #684
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

[QUOTE=Moonlit_Angel;8216684]Regarding your "thoughts and prayers" comment, found this article online earlier discussing the frustration over the use of that phrase:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-fe...052644272.html

Loving the Twitter responses being quoted and referenced in that article.[/QUOT

Yep... And on my way to work today I heard Trump say it's too early to talk about gun legislation this soon but it was amazing how quickly he talked about securing our borders and taking the "lottery-visa" away, talk about a double standard.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:02 AM   #685
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Similar to global warming, I feel we're too far gone to truly rectify the state that we're in--sure, there are measures which might mollify the issue, but when any sort of meaningful legislation requires the cooperation of a party that either denies there's a problem or turns a blind eye to it (mostly due to not wanting to lose their heavy support from lucrative donors), even the slightest step forward will ultimately be met with one step back.
I truly hate being a cynic when it comes to stuff like this, but recent history seems only to be trending in one direction; there hasn't been much to make me believe otherwise :/
Old 11-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #686
Blue Crack Distributor

Guys, now is not the time to talk about gun control.

When brown people start doing this with regularity, THAT will be the time to talk about gun control.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #687
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:27 AM
Brown People -- Deported
Black People -- Arrested
White People -- Mental Health is the problem
Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #688
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Yeah, kinda funny how now is not the time to discuss gun control (don't politicize the tragedy!), but Trump et al. wasted *no* time bringing up immigration after the attack in NY
Old 11-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #689
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBORCITY View Post
Yep... And on my way to work today I heard Trump say it's too early to talk about gun legislation this soon but it was amazing how quickly he talked about securing our borders and taking the "lottery-visa" away, talk about a double standard.
So true.

And of course, despite the fact that the right continues to insist this is a "mental health issue", they won't do shit to actually, y'know, provide people with affordable healthcare that would cover mental health screenings and aid and things of that sort. Better to take away all the opportunities people have to get mental health help instead.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #690
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Boy View Post
WTF is POTUS talking about? There was no one shooting in the opposite direction until the shooter was done massacring 26 people.

26 people at one church, he was leaving to go where? reasonable assumption, to keep killing so it would have been 26 +? +?+?

He was done? Really? Seems more like he was stopped.

https://heavy.com/news/2017/11/steph...-good-guy-gun/

https://heavy.com/news/2017/11/johnn...prings-photos/

Old 11-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #691
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:27 AM
figured you'd play this angle.

you're right, this was a success! Guns ARE good
Old 11-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #692
Blue Crack Addict

I believe in gun control, anyone who has paid attention to my many years of posting in here would know that.
But when someone posts something that is in error, pointing it out should be the reasonable thing to do on a discussion board.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #693
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 AM
deep is uh, in the right here.

It's not supporting guns. If you don't have the facts straight, you create a combative environment. A good guy with a gun did help. 26 people died - open carry doesn't protect everyone. Clearly.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #694
Blue Crack Distributor

A good guy with a gun helped. He did not prevent. He is not the answer.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #695
Blue Crack Distributor

The good guy with a gun prevented this from moving into the top 2 worst mass shootings in modern American history.

Hooray, the NRA is right!

Good for this guy for doing what he did... but making him the focus is again a shift away from discussing the real issues, guns, and how we're the only fucking western country on Earth where this shit happens.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:20 PM   #696
Blue Crack Addict

I have lived in CA my whole life, by NRA standards we have bad gun laws here.
I think they are ok and do not want them relaxed.

Texas gun laws seem very problematic to me, don't they allow them on college campuses?
If that's the case with all the excessive drinking and reported assaults, seems like a poor decission.

But back to the point, what Trump said, this time, seems to be more correct than a WTF moment.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #697
Blue Crack Addict

Lets be honest, both sides exploited the hell out of these tragedies.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #698
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:27 AM
The reason nothing even happens after one of these tragedies is that politicians in both parties aren't being honest about the terms of the debate. Republicans aren't being honest with their brain dead ideas about an armed citizenry being safer and "guns don't kill people, people kill people" rubbish. And Democrats aren't being honest when they trot out the rote suggestion that "common sense gun control" measures are going to stop or even significantly reduce gun violence. The reason the Republicans lie is because they're afraid of the NRA; the reason Democrats lie is because if they spoke out loud what really needs to happen (what the honest ones know needs to happen) they'd never win another election.

I’m all for sensible gun control legislation. Background checks, waiting periods, gun free zones, etc. Everything everyone is talking about when it comes to these kind of “common sense” reforms. By all means. It’s absurd that the US doesn’t have that kind of no-brainer regulation. It should be something all sane people can agree on. It’s to the NRA’s (which was once a responsible organisation for genuine enthusiasts) shame that they reflexively block even modest gun regulation. And they do, every single time.

That said, in my opinion, the gun violence problem is so pervasive in the US that none of these half measures are going to make much difference. They’re certainly not going to stop kind the mass shootings that typically are the catalyst for increased gun control legislation. If you want to make a real difference you have to get the guns, all of them pretty much. The hand guns and the automatic weapons. Do what we do in the UK and what they did in Australia and then you’ll have a lot less people dying. Well, people will still die, but not of gunshot wounds.

And make no mistake, THAT's what it's going to take. All this other stuff is just half measures. Of course, to get the guns you first have to do something about the Second Amendment. Or at least get a SCOTUS that interprets it differently.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #699
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I have lived in CA my whole life, by NRA standards we have bad gun laws here.
I think they are ok and do not want them relaxed.

Texas gun laws seem very problematic to me, don't they allow them on college campuses?
If that's the case with all the excessive drinking and reported assaults, seems like a poor decission.

But back to the point, what Trump said, this time, seems to be more correct than a WTF moment.
Nah.

Correct response would be "holy shit, enough is enough, we need to do something, I'm issuing an executive order that will lock both houses of Congress in a room together with minimal food and water until they can come to a reasonable compromise"
Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #700
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:27 AM
I wonder what is a "reasonable compromise" that Republicans and Democrats could come to that would significantly reduce the amount of gun violence...to say nothing of mass shootings.

In other words, what are these magical "common sense gun control" measures that are going to stop this stuff?