Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2 - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #461
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Not sure it's possible or necessary to lay blame this early, but the general normalizing of 'muslims are bad and worth less than us' is scary as hell and surely doesn't help.
Well the White House certainly seems to think it's OK to use the attack as an example of why we need to be vigilant.

I....don't understand their logic...but...there you have it.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #462
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoropa View Post
Bono212 seems to be insinuating that Trump's travel ban was somehow motivation for the shooters.

Sad statement.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Trump's victory has emboldened white supremacists who believe they are at war with minority groups. These things don't happen in a fucking vacuum.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:08 PM   #463
War Child

Local Time: 12:50 AM
To kind of steer this discussion back to the topic.....

There are some very strange things in regards to this attack last night. The two shooters wore ski masks when they shot up the place and went to great lengths to conceal their identities although they supposedly shouted "Alah Akbar" as they carried out the attack. One of the suspected shooters quickly turned himself in and expressed "regret" for his actions which seems really odd.

It's been speculated that this may either be retaliation if some in the Mosque were working with law enforcement or that it may be a Sunni vs Shia conflict starting to spill into Western countries. At least for now, it doesn't appear to be the predictable "Anti-Muslim" Nationalistic style hate crime and it's certainly too soon to draw conclusions.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #464
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

There are some very strange things in regards to this attack last night. The two shooters wore ski masks when they shot up the place and went to great lengths to conceal their identities although they supposedly shouted "Alah Akbar" as they carried out the attack. One of the suspected shooters quickly turned himself in and expressed "regret" for his actions which seems really odd.

It's been speculated that this may either be retaliation if some in the Mosque were working with law enforcement or that it may be a Sunni vs Shia conflict starting to spill into Western countries. At least for now, it doesn't appear to be the predictable "Anti-Muslim" Nationalistic style hate crime and it's certainly too soon to draw conclusions.

You sure about that?

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30/...e-nationalist/
Old 01-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #465
Blue Crack Distributor

I mean, it's well-known that ISIS doesn't only target non-Muslims. They carry out attacks in Muslim parts of the world, so it's not unimaginable that an attack like this could be done by Muslims. But let's face it, this kind of attack, it's not hard to make a correct assumption.

Edit: Oh, look. Yep, not shocked at all.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #466
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Quote:

Information bubbles will do this to you.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #467
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Yeah, I caught that this afternoon. Hence my "...certainly too soon to draw conclusions" comment at the end of my earlier post.

BTW, this isn't a contest to see who's right or not, it's a tragedy.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:36 PM   #468
45:33

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Of course not, but like the sun rises in the morning you can bet that this attack will be forgotten about tomorrow, whereas if it were the other way around it would be the worst thing to ever happen.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #469
Blue Crack Addict

yep. the difference in the reaction between this attack and the attack on the parliament buildings a couple years ago is certainly saying something about this country.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #470
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Yeah, I caught that this afternoon. Hence my "...certainly too soon to draw conclusions" comment at the end of my earlier post.

I'm not going to ignore blatant lies by the media and our government, sorry/not sorry.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:47 PM   #471
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

When events like these are leading to policy decisions, it absolutely matters what happened and how people understand it. Don't be weak, admit you were wrong and maybe think about what led you to being wrong. Whether it's your own expectations or the media you consume, something let you to this. Let's try and learn something before we start a fucking war.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:32 PM   #472
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
When events like these are leading to policy decisions, it absolutely matters what happened and how people understand it. Don't be weak, admit you were wrong and maybe think about what led you to being wrong. Whether it's your own expectations or the media you consume, something let you to this. Let's try and learn something before we start a fucking war.
Oh for fuck's sake....

I was pointing out earlier in my original post how certain things seemed odd and didn't really add up in regards to the initial news reports. Yeah, I also including a couple items that alluded to the possibility of this may have not been the "typical" anti-Muslim hate crime but hey, as more news has come out, yeah, looks like a crazy far-right nutcase.

And another thing... we've been at war for almost 2 decades now whether you realize it or not.

The us vs them echo chamber nature of rock band political forums is why I typically stay out of them. Thanks for reminding me of that fact.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:45 PM   #473
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

And another thing... we've been at war for almost 2 decades now whether you realize it or not.

The us vs them echo chamber nature of rock band political forums is why I typically stay out of them. Thanks for reminding me of that fact.
War or not, doesn't make living in your own echo chamber alright. The suspect's name had already been released when you posted that.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #474

Both sides are guilty of it.

What I can't stand from the conservative side of things when these things happen is - time and time again - when it's a white assailant, they're a lone wolf with mental health issues. But if the assailant is a Muslim, then Islam is the problem. I'd love Partyslammer or one of our other conservatives here to explain that to me.

We just had an attack here in Melbourne last week. A bloke drove into a crowd of people, killing six and injuring about 30. There were people on Twitter begging for it to be a Muslim. Turned out it wasn't. It was a Greek Australian with severe mental health issues and drug addiction.

But even if it had been a Muslim, that doesn't - or it shouldn't - fucking matter. To get in a car and mow people down - like what happened in Berlin and in Nice - you have to be mentally ill. You don't get in a car and mow people down because you're a Muslim. Otherwise every non-Muslim on the planet would already be dead.

So why don't we talk about better services for mental health? If we had better services then maybe that Orlando shooting wouldn't have happened.

That's a question I want conservatives to answer me.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #475
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It is "us vs them." One side of the aisle is on the wrong side of history on basically every issue, and I'm not mincing words anymore. There are not multiple legitimate viewpoints. Conservatism is a plague.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #476
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:50 AM
Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Conservatism is a plague.

I would amend that to read "conservatism as practiced today by the Republican Party in the United States." I know more than a few principled conservatives (including several family members) who are disgusted with the direction the Republican Party has turned in the last decade.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 PM   #477
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I would amend that to read "conservatism as practiced today by the Republican Party in the United States."
While it would be nice to take the higher moral ground here, let's be honest, the rest of the world ain't a whole lot better.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:04 PM   #478
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I would amend that to read "conservatism as practiced today by the Republican Party in the United States." I know more than a few principled conservatives (including several family members) who are disgusted with the direction the Republican Party has turned in the last decade.
More of a lean towards economic conservatism, less enthused with what seems to be still an extreme social conservatism?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:26 PM   #479
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemen View Post
i would amend that to read "conservatism as practiced today by the republican party in the united states." i know more than a few principled conservatives (including several family members) who are disgusted with the direction the republican party has turned in the last decade.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #480

I love that tweet.