Ongoing Mass Shootings Thread pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 7 year salary is $113,282.00, under who's tax plan would you clear $100,000 out of that and why in God's name isn't that person running for POTUS?

His name is Gary Johnson, I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

so ... a police officer has to be a vegan who doesn't go out, must be married/cohabitating, and isn't allowed to have kids in order to afford to live in San Francisco so they can police their friends and neighbors?

so ... a police officer has to be a vegan who doesn't go out, must be married/cohabitating, and isn't allowed to have kids in order to afford to live in San Francisco so they can police their friends and neighbors?

Being vegan is expensive... but yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

So what's the bottom line?

You are implying with your discussion that if police officers earn a great salary they will have a great lifestyle and hence they would do their jobs better and not commit hate crimes towards blacks. While this may hold some correlative relevance, it's not entirely causative of this ongoing issue.

Apart from this, consider also the fact that a good portion of police officers are minorities themselves and most of them don't come from a perfect family or financial wise background.

So what's the bottom line?

You are implying with your discussion that if police officers earn a great salary they will have a great lifestyle and hence they would do their jobs better and not commit hate crimes towards blacks. While this may hold some correlative relevance, it's not entirely causative of this ongoing issue.

Um, no... the conversation was about cops being residents of their beats.

on a more serious note, i think we need to think about policing and ask ourselves who gets into law enforcement and why, and how do we attract, recruit, and retain the right people. my worry about all this violence is not so much that we'll have a shortage of policemen, but that the police will be more cautious about doing their jobs while, at the same time, exactly the wrong kinds of people will be attracted to law enforcement. people who think all BLMers are "thugs" and want to crack some skulls, or, worse, see themselves as foot soldiers in a kind of race war.

that's what was so worrisome about people like bobsaget.

on a more serious note, i think we need to think about policing and ask ourselves who gets into law enforcement and why, and how do we attract, recruit, and retain the right people. my worry about all this violence is not so much that we'll have a shortage of policemen, but that the police will be more cautious about doing their jobs while, at the same time, exactly the wrong kinds of people will be attracted to law enforcement. people who think all BLMers are "thugs" and want to crack some skulls, or, worse, see themselves as foot soldiers in a kind of race war.

that's what was so worrisome about people like bobsaget.

Who gets into law enforcement and why is a sticky subject. You step on toes when you say it's the high school bully who didn't know what else to do with his life other than find a way to pick on you by giving you a speeding ticket.

Because not every cop is like that. However, the qualifications to become a police officer are not enough as is. Certain people need to be filtered out.

Who gets into law enforcement and why is a sticky subject. You step on toes when you say it's the high school bully who didn't know what else to do with his life other than find a way to pick on you by giving you a speeding ticket.

Because not every cop is like that. However, the qualifications to become a police officer are not enough as is. Certain people need to be filtered out.

in my line of work, i've actually spent time with a lot of cops -- it's a long story.

they seem kind of no different than any other profession. there are some who are very smart, some who are not so smart, some who seem to be in it to make a difference, some who couldn't figure out what else to do. one of the single most charismatic people i've ever met was a cop. i can also remember some super assholes.

i can say, broadly, that your average cop takes a lot of pride in their work, and believes in what they do from a civic perspective. they are people who want to make a difference, or at least be effective, in some sort of capacity. but, really, from what i could see, motivations are as diverse as any other profession.

in my line of work, i've actually spent time with a lot of cops -- it's a long story.

they seem kind of no different than any other profession. there are some who are very smart, some who are not so smart, some who seem to be in it to make a difference, some who couldn't figure out what else to do. one of the single most charismatic people i've ever met was a cop. i can also remember some super assholes.

i can say, broadly, that your average cop takes a lot of pride in their work, and believes in what they do from a civic perspective. they are people who want to make a difference, or at least be effective, in some sort of capacity. but, really, from what i could see, motivations are as diverse as any other profession.

:up:

Deductions - NYS
Salary113,282.00 USD
Federal Income Tax- 21,906.21 USD
Social Security- 7,023.48 USD
Medicare- 1,642.59 USD
State Income Tax- 6,541.35 USD
Total Tax- 37,113.64 USD
Net Pay*76,168.36 USD
Monthly Take Home- 6347.36

Let's take down 15% for retirement savings

Take down 116.50 for a monthly MetroCard

30% for rent of that take home would be 1583.63, enough for a modest studio or very small 1 bedroom in most parts of Manhattan below 125th

$3,694.93 left for expenses and spending

Admittedly not bad. Certainly can live a pretty decent life for a single bachelor in the city. Could even up the rent a little and still be comfortable.

Except, of course, that it would take 10 years on the job to get to that point, placing you in your early to mid 30s. As long as you want to stay single, living in a studio, with no kids or attachments for the length of your career you're good to go.

^That's missing NYC local income tax, no? I remember that being a pesky $100 or so off of each paycheck when I summered there. (Not that it changes your point; it just emphasizes that big cities on the coast are expensive.)

It's a discussion like this that makes me grateful for Canberra's concentration of power in federal hands during World War II, which among other things took powers of income taxation off the states. Now wherever you live in Australia you pay the same tax.

^That's missing NYC local income tax, no? I remember that being a pesky $100 or so off of each paycheck when I summered there. (Not that it changes your point; it just emphasizes that big cities on the coast are expensive.)

I remember this too from my stint in NYC back in 2008.

It is, actually. I was considering putting it in but figured only a couple of people would notice.

Lolz

I punched in max $1,600 rent for below 125th in Manhattan. It appears that even living here i still underestimated the rent increases over the last few years...

http://streeteasy.com/for-rent/nyc/price:-1600|area:102,119,139,135

On the #1 rental website in the city, there are currently a grand total of 11 apartments in all of Manhattan below 125th that cost $1,600 or less.

Eleven.

Lolz

I punched in max $1,600 rent for below 125th in Manhattan. It appears that even living here i still underestimated the rent increases over the last few years...

http://streeteasy.com/for-rent/nyc/price:-1600|area:102,119,139,135

On the #1 rental website in the city, there are currently a grand total of 11 apartments in all of Manhattan below 125th that cost $1,600 or less.

Eleven.

I was wondering about this too. Even in 2013 I paid more than $1,600/month for one room in an absolutely garbage two bedroom in Midtown East, although that was admittedly on a three month lease.

In 2008 I had a bachelor (furnished and Internet/cable included so that probably carried some premium) in Midtown East as well (40th/2nd) that ran the firm $3600/month. So...

I was wondering about this too. Even in 2013 I paid more than $1,600/month for one room in an absolutely garbage two bedroom in Midtown East, although that was admittedly on a three month lease.

When we moved out if Yorkville in early 2013 we were paying $1,550/month for a 450 sq foot one bedroom on 81st. Figured there were at least a few more places still in that range. Guess not lol

We're paying $2,900 for a one bedroom, which we share with a 21 month old, in Long Island City. And we're under market, cause we moved into the building we're in 6 months after Sandy, and they were still doing repairs to the building. It's a condo building that we're renting from the owner, so we were able to lock the rate I'm... And the guys kinda aloof so he's never raised our rent.

We'll also be paying $2k a month for daycare in the fall... for 3 days a week.

Dems urged to retool their guns message - POLITICO

While Democrats think they have a winning election-year issue, a group led by former Rep. Gabby Giffords (D-Ariz.) and her husband, Mark Kelly, is pushing to rebrand their effort — based on poll and focus-group data — in the hope that it will take root in an American culture that has long accepted gun ownership, if not revered it in parts of the country. It's a cultural linkage that's likely to be highlighted Tuesday at the Republican National Convention, as the top lobbyist for the NRA plans to take the stage, as will Donald Trump Jr., who has touted his affinity for hunting.
Story Continued Below

With that in mind, representatives from a broad mix of progressive groups sat around a table last week at the Washington offices of Global Strategy Group, where they received a tutorial on how — and how not — to talk about guns. Leading the lesson were top officials from Americans for Responsible Solutions PAC, the campaign wing of the group Giffords and Kelly founded after the Sandy Hook massacre.

For example, groups seeking tighter gun laws have been trying to get away from the “gun control” label since well before ARS started testing for a new messaging strategy last year. Better options, they say, are “gun violence prevention” and “preventing gun tragedies.”

"We've stepped away from a debate about guns that was sort of postured pro-gun or against-gun,” said Peter Ambler, the PAC’s executive director, “into one that’s centered around data-tested ideas like the background checks that we know increased public safety and save lives, but don't sort of disapprove of the individual gun owner and don't disapprove of the responsible use of firearms in society.”

And while Hillary Clinton promised to “keep taking on the NRA” in October, she should maybe stop, according to ARS’ findings, and instead take on the “gun lobby.”

“The NRA has great favorabilities in a lot of places,” said Global Strategy Group Jeff Pollock, pointing to the 144-year-old organization’s popular — and apolitical — hunting and safety training programs.

Stick to stressing “the gun lobby” as a special interest out to “protect the profits” of manufacturers, Pollock told the assembled representatives of Priorities USA, NARAL, AFSCME and the Senate and House Majority PACs. A strategist from the Democratic side of Google’s political consulting operation was also there.

Thoughts on this possible change in message, anyone? Would co-oping some of the NRA rhetoric and using it against them work? Does this sound a bit too nuanced, or like a decent attempt at compromise?

I liked the part in the article that suggested getting more hunters and gun owners on board in support of gun control measures. I definitely think that could help put at ease the people who would otherwise be wary about how any regulations and restrictions would impact them.

And I do think they should try and stress as much as possible that responsible gun owners would still be able to buy and use guns if they so wished.

When we moved out if Yorkville in early 2013 we were paying $1,550/month for a 450 sq foot one bedroom on 81st. Figured there were at least a few more places still in that range. Guess not lol

We're paying $2,900 for a one bedroom, which we share with a 21 month old, in Long Island City. And we're under market, cause we moved into the building we're in 6 months after Sandy, and they were still doing repairs to the building. It's a condo building that we're renting from the owner, so we were able to lock the rate I'm... And the guys kinda aloof so he's never raised our rent.
Do you still hit your head in the shower at this new place? :shifty:

We'll also be paying $2k a month for daycare in the fall... for 3 days a week.

Wow. The cost of living there is unbelievable. Where I live you can get a nice 4 bed room house with 3000 square feet and a 3/4 acre yard for about $1500-$1800/month. That's why people flock to Texas. It's so cheap to live here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. The cost of living there is unbelievable. Where I live you can get a nice 4 bed room house with 3000 square feet and a 3/4 acre yard for about $1500-$1800/month. That's why people flock to Texas. It's so cheap to live here.

I had to stop watching those property shows on HGTV because it's always some couple with no down payment buying a 3500 square foot house in Atlanta for $140K.

On my street, it costs you around $1M to buy a 900 square foot bungalow built in the 50s which you then tear down and build a new house on the property. Nevermind what the newer built houses cost. And we don't live in anywhere I'd consider to be exclusive either.

I'm actually finally getting around to seriously thinking about buying. (can I add another -ly word in there? Yes, I probably can.)

Seattle isn't as bad as the Bay Area yet, but if Amazon keeps up with its insane growth, it might be soon. Haven't yet been priced out of my beloved Ballard neighborhood (I've rented the same apt there for 12 years now), but I'm waiting for the day I get a letter saying they're tearing down the building to make shiny, new expensive condos or apartments.

So time to start shopping while I'm not under pressure. Hoo boy.

i think Joan Didion once wrote that to live in New York and be happy you need to be either very rich or very young. i totally get that. and to coexist in 450 square feet is an accomplishment. i look at these people on Tiny House Hunters who claim they want to exist in 300sqf and feel the need to slap them.

i still have no idea why i never lived there -- i always sort of assumed it would happen given where i grew up and my chosen field, but i've made it work in DC for over a decade now and life has happened. it's hardly cheap here, but it's still like 1/3rd less than NYC or SF. reading what you've written, it kind of solidifies the decision that Memphis and i have made about NYC -- unless someone wants to, like, double my salary, there's little that could get us to move there at this point in our lives, especially when it's an easy train ride away and a perfect weekend trip. if we did move, it would be to head to the West Coast and really change our lifestyles. there are times when the East Coast combination of blizzards, humidity, and congestion make one long for the cool air off the Pacific. but then again, i like that i can walk everywhere.

maybe we should start an FYM real estate thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom