ongoing mass shootings thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think with the ISIS threat (and even if it's removed/powerless there'll be something new), would a real good first step be enacting it where if you're on a FBI watch list, you can't buy a gun???

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

it is not this simple, if one is on a watch list and then interviewed and no conclusive evidence is found they can not lose their rights, take away his right to have a gun, and he loses his job, there would be many defending him, calling it discrimination. I wish we had a Dept of Pre Crime like in the movie, Minority Report, we don't.

Last edited:
pretending they do not exist or denying the tie to extreme Islamic beliefs is a complete failure of leadership. This is what Obama has done his whole term. Now the worst U S terrorist attack belongs to him. At his press conference to conflate this with the Batman movie terror? mass killing just proves he won't accept this at face value. These people died because they were at a gay night club at the hands of a Islamic extremist.

Marco Rubio, way more Presidential than Obama

Florida senator and ex-Presidental hopeful Marco Rubio said the attack was indicative of the way radical Islam views gay people and lesbians.

He told local media: "If you look at the nature of the attack, it doesn't take an enormous amount of coordination to do this.

"We have seen the way gays and lesbians are treated by radical Islam. So in some ways it's not surprising. I am confident the FBI and Homeland Security are on this."

Last edited:
1. it was a movie
2. the statement was for everyone that has a false concept that in a perfect world the system was suppose to stop this from happening

their is no perfect world or 100% system that can prevent these things, there are things we can do that can affect the likelihood of us having more of these incidents or less. Sadly most actions taken lately will lead to the 'more' direction.

their is no perfect world or 100% system that can prevent these things, there are things we can do that can affect the likelihood of us having more of these incidents or less. Sadly most actions taken lately will lead to the 'more' direction.

You are 100% right.

Limiting access to automatic weaponry seems like a good start.

Or does this theory only apply to things on your side of the talking points memo?

He doesn't give a shit about LGBTQ people, he's consistently been against marriage equality, adoption equality, and civil rights. It's been sickening to see the right wing use this to attack Islam, while they themselves attack the LGBTQ community and use hateful rhetoric and deny them civil rights. Fuck them.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Glad to hear you're safe, LN7. Scary shit.

I'm going to be in Orlando on business this week. I originally thought about donating blood when I got there but it seems that the response has been overwhelming for them.

Santa Monica police continued to search the suspect’s white Acura on Sunday morning. All four of the car’s doors were open and a green blanket, red gasoline canister and several other smaller items were being piled on the sidewalk next to it. The car’s license plate included a symbol of the National Rifle Assn. on the left side and the bottom said, "Teaching Freedom."

it is not this simple, if one is on a watch list and then interviewed and no conclusive evidence is found they can not lose their rights, take away his right to have a gun, and he loses his job, there would be many defending him, calling it discrimination. I wish we had a Dept of Pre Crime like in the movie, Minority Report, we don't.
How come they're not allowed to fly on a plane then? If you're so supportive of their rights?

I can never tell if deep is serious or doing his "devil's advocate" schtick anymore.

So I don't bother with his posts.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i can't take credit for this, but, basically:

In summary: A homophobic Islamic fundamentalist just killed 50 people thanks to the gun access homophobic Christian fundamentalists keep insisting we need to protect us from Islamic fundamentalists.

Watching Newton and watching San Bernadino and any of those relatively recent mass shootings has always brought up this gun control debate. And, I never had a problem with it triggering that discussion.

But now that it's this close to me -- close enough that I could've easily been there last night were I not throwing my own get together with friends -- when you watch something get politicized the same day, it's frustrating.

I suppose I just don't care about gun control conversation right now. So, I'm not mad at anyone. I get it. I know it's reasonable for this to spark the discussion again. But, part of me feels as though it takes away from the reality of this. When someone seizes the opportunity to blame authority or to lobby their belief, it just doesn't matter right now. I have wanted to respond to a lot, but with zero desire to follow through. To me, it's a time for grieving.

Last edited:
Except it's being reported that the shooter called 911 to claim allegiance to ISIS...

This is a bit reminiscent of the man behind the Sydney siege a year and a half ago. Both were quick to claim allegiance to ISIS.

Watching Newton and watching San Bernadino and any of those relatively recent mass shootings has always brought up this gun control debate. And, I never had a problem with it triggering that discussion.

But now that it's this close to me -- close enough that I could've easily been there last night were I not throwing my own get together with friends -- when you watch something get politicized the same day, it's frustrating.

I suppose I just don't care about gun control conversation right now. So, I'm not mad at anyone. I get it. I know it's reasonable for this to spark the discussion again. But, part of me feels as though it takes away from the reality of this. When someone seizes the opportunity to blame authority or to lobby their belief, it just doesn't matter right now. I have wanted to respond to a lot, but with zero desire to follow through. To me, it's a time for grieving.

I sympathize, LN7. Despite being a pragmatist through and through, I could fathom myself shutting down if something like this impacted my community. Sometimes you just need to cry.

The arguing and debating is something the rest of us can shoulder for you. It is necessary to push forward and make practical changes to our broken society in the wake of tragedy because otherwise it's just a huge fucking waste. Sadly, that's all these shootings have been; an enormous loss of life followed by a lot of circular discourse leading nowhere.

The thing is, shouting into the void is still better than growing numb to these attacks and saying nothing. At that point, our humanity is lost. I hate reading the same old arguments again and again, but it's better than shrugging them off and accepting our terrible status quo.

Perhaps this circus of an election cycle will bring about a change on these matters. I have my doubts.

https://twitter.com/themattwilstein/status/742162436808003584

i can't embed these things properly. but this was the first human emotion i've felt today.

here's the good part:

My wife’s the reason anything gets done
She nudges me towards promise by degrees
She is a perfect symphony of one,
Our son is her most beautiful reprise
We chase the melodies that seem to find us
Until they’re finished songs and start to play
When senseless acts of tragedy remind us
That nothing here is promised, not one day
This show is proof that history remembers
We live through times when hate and fear seem stronger
We rise and fall and light from dying embers
Remembrances that hope and love lasts long
And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love
Cannot be killed or swept aside,
I sing Vanessa’s symphony, Eliza tells her story
Now fill the world with music love and pride

Last edited:
pretending they do not exist or denying the tie to extreme Islamic beliefs is a complete failure of leadership. This is what Obama has done his whole term. Now the worst U S terrorist attack belongs to him. At his press conference to conflate this with the Batman movie terror? mass killing just proves he won't accept this at face value. These people died because they were at a gay night club at the hands of a Islamic extremist.

Just in case you have another reading comprehension issue or feel the need to twist, I'm just going to use your own words:

not bothering to read this crap

just enough to know that the children that have brain damage from this will take pleasure in knowing that many of you have fully grasped their suffering to further your own personal political bias, great stuff :up::up::up:

Just found out that a bridesmaid in my sister's upcoming Wedding was killed in the club. I didn't know her personally, but the family is devastated

How awful. Condolences to that woman's family and friends.

Terrifying news about that story in West Hollywood from a couple pages back, too.

I honestly don't have anything to say on this issue other than I'm just...angry. And tired. And frustrated. It's just a never-ending nightmare at this point, these sorts of scenarios. And nobody will do a damn thing to fix it.

President Obama does not pretend that radical Islamists don't exist.

LN7 glad to hear that the people you know are OK. I hope your friend's friends will recover well.

LM - well said.

Oregoropa strength to your sis, and the bride's maid family, and her fellow bride's maids.

MLA yeah just heard about West Hollywood Parade potential threat prevented just a little bit ago in the news. Yikes!

it's way past time to talk about gun control. i don't care if those who were murdered aren't buried yet. there will be another shooting of some sort if we wait until after some socially acceptable length of time, especially with the media's love of not caring about anything that isn't sensationalism.

it's time. we have to talk about gun control now. not soon, not later. right fucking now before one more person is murdered.

And now Ted Cruz weighs in with his thoughts:

https://amp.businessinsider.com/ted-cruz-statement-orlando-shooting-2016-6

The next few days will be sadly predictable. Democrats will try to use this attack to change the subject. As a matter of rigid ideology, far too many Democrats - from Barack Obama to Hillary Clinton - will refuse to utter the words 'radical Islamic terrorism.' They will claim this attack, like they claimed every previous attack, was isolated and had nothing to do with the vicious Islamist theology that is daily waging war on us across the globe.

And they will try to exploit this terror attack to undermine the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms of law-abiding Americans.
Enough is enough. What we need is for every American - Democrat and Republican - to come together, abandon political correctness, and unite in defeating radical Islamic terrorism.

ISIS doesn't just target soldiers. They don't just target Republicans. Or Jews. They also target Christians and fellow Muslims. They target each and every one of us. As we saw this morning, they target the gay and lesbian community. Their objective, which they broadcast worldwide, is to murder or forcibly convert every single American.

For all the Democrats who are loud champions of the gay and lesbian community whenever there is a culture battle waging, now is the opportunity to speak out against an ideology that calls for the murder of gays and lesbians.

ISIS and the theocracy in Iran (supported with American taxpayer dollars) regularly murder homosexuals, throwing them from buildings and burying them under rocks. This is wrong, it is evil, and we must all stand against it. Every human being has a right to live according to his or her faith and conscience, and nobody has a right to murder someone who doesn't share their faith or sexual orientation.

If you're a Democratic politician and you really want to stand for LGBT, show real courage and stand up against the vicious ideology that has targeted our fellow Americans for murder.

So, to recap: Democrats have to acknowledge this is the result of an evil ideology, but Republicans don't have to acknowledge the ease with which this creep was able to get guns in this country.

And Democrats have to acknowledge that Islam has a violent attitude towards gay people, but Republicans don't have to admit their own role in fostering anti-LGBT sentiment in this country at all (they're not advocating murder, no, but they're sure fighting hard to try and restrict their civil rights as much as they possibly can, and claiming LGBT people are a "threat" to "traditional Judeo-Christian values"!).

Mmkay. Sure. That's fair.

(I know, I know. Fuck Ted Cruz.)

it's way past time to talk about gun control. i don't care if those who were murdered aren't buried yet. there will be another shooting of some sort if we wait until after some socially acceptable length of time, especially with the media's love of not caring about anything that isn't sensationalism.

it's time. we have to talk about gun control now. not soon, not later. right fucking now before one more person is murdered.

To me it sounds like it's way past the point of talking. With a massacre as horrible as this, talking isn't going to fix things. It's time for action, and it still baffles me incredbly how that action can't be taken.. How are people still in support of guns after something like this? How can Trump fucking GLOAT after something like this? How are people still voting for him after he did that, how are they not outraged? ... I just don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom