ongoing mass shootings thread - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Pearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,741
Local Time: 06:09 PM
I just want to comment that that is an awesome analysis of American culture. I always find it interesting when people say there's just one America and our country is made up of so many groups. While it is true that we are a nation of immigrants from all over the world, it is false to say there is one America - and I don't mean in the ethnic origin sense. The map above proves that how someone in Boston feels about their country differs greatly from someone in Las Vegas, Seattle, Miami or even Honolulu. We are a diverse nation indeed.
__________________

Pearl is offline  
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #142
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
AEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 4,052
Local Time: 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Better background checks. Easier access to criminal records and or mental health history.

Insurance for guns. I think criminal charges can be brought up against those who don't have their weapon properly locked up (assuming they aren't killed for the weapon like in Newtown).
I think this would be a terrific place to start.

Now - we will have to deal with a new threat: Texas firm makes world’s first 3D-printed metal gun
__________________

AEON is offline  
Old 11-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #143
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Shooting reported at Brashear High School | Allegheny Co. News - WTAE Home

School shooting reported in Pittsburgh.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #144
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Strawman. No one is arguing that we should take away everyone's guns.

Asking for stricter regulations, or a more thorough background/licensing/training procedure is not equal to painting every gun owner as a murderer, nor is it depriving millions of people of their rights, unless you think every American should have the right to a gun no questions asked.
Actually, your rebuttal is a straw man argument, completely ignoring the point of my post: the intellectually bankrupt use of the race card argument.
If you want to discuss new “reasonable gun control” regulations, they should be couple with clear and convincing evidence that such new regulations would actually prevent the crimes that triggered the call for such regulations. There are plenty of regulations on the books and they are failing.
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #145
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post
the intellectually bankrupt use of the race card argument.
NOBODY WAS USING THE RACE CARD!!! I was fucking agreeing with you. If anything, it was an antirace card. Jesus Christ, man. A little reading comprehension goes a long way
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #146
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Someone said Muslim so clearly liberals are persecuting conservatives!!!!!111!!!!
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
NOBODY WAS USING THE RACE CARD!!! I was fucking agreeing with you. If anything, it was an antirace card. Jesus Christ, man. A little reading comprehension goes a long way
And I was agreeing with you.

A separate "study" was thrown in with the blanket suggestion of gun owners being more racist.
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 11-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #148
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post
And I was agreeing with you.

A separate "study" was thrown in with the blanket suggestion of gun owners being more racist.
OK THEN WE AGREE THEN!!!!!! MAYBE I NEED A LlTTLE READING COMPREHENSION!!!!!!!!!
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbcrusader View Post
A separate "study" was thrown in with the blanket suggestion of gun owners being more racist.

In your review of this study, what were the flaws in the methodology that led you to disagree with not just the conclusions, but the legitimacy of the study itself?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #150
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:09 PM
You can't assume causation. I'm sure there's more gun ownership in the south. I'm sure there's more racism in the south. I'm sure there's more grits in the south. There's no more reason to assume one of these factors in any way causes the other
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,093
Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
You can't assume causation. I'm sure there's more gun ownership in the south. I'm sure there's more racism in the south. I'm sure there's more grits in the south. There's no more reason to assume one of these factors in any way causes the other
I'm pretty sure that guns cause grits, which cause racism.
digitize is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,961
Local Time: 05:09 PM
That math seems sound
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
You can't assume causation. I'm sure there's more gun ownership in the south. I'm sure there's more racism in the south. I'm sure there's more grits in the south. There's no more reason to assume one of these factors in any way causes the other


i'd agree. i also agree that just because you are a gun owner doesn't mean you are a racist. nor do i think that because you're a racist, you're necessarily going to become a gun owner.

but let's focus on the (peer reviewed) study. it does not suggest that beliefs about guns are caused by white racism. it is not arguing that having a gun necessarily makes one more likely to be a racist. the study also isn't saying that conservatives are racists or bigots, nor does their research indicate that all gun owners are racists. it would be better for 2nd Amendment pressure groups if the study actually did say that. it doesn't.

i think it's important to first understand what social scientists do and what they do not do, so that we don't just dismiss things because we don't like their conclusions. as much as one might say that the results of this study advance a particular agenda, it also just as easily (if not more) advances an agenda opposite to the one that it might appear to support. in fact, i'd say that a study like this might actually worsen the case for gun control, because it gives people to throw their hands in the air and do the "oh. my. GOD! i am NOT a racist!" and thus end any sort of dialogue to be had on the subject of gun ownership and racism. the suggestion that white people's levels of racial resentment may be related to gun ownership is bound to upset white victimologists.

notably, this study focuses on symbolic racism -- so the number of times you use the N-word or attend a Klan rally isn't applicable here. symbolic racism symbolic racism emphasizes a narrative of black criminals and white vicitims (see the present hysteria about The Knockout Game for a recent example). this dynamic has been present in America since it's founding.

sometimes, answers are complex, and a combination of yes and no.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #154
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:09 PM
There are peer reviewed articled published all the time that appear to show correlations where there are none. All that means is their methods were sound. You can find peer reviewed articles linking olive oil and reduced heart disease. Red wine and reduced heard disease. Fighter performance and whether or not they smiled during the weigh ins. The answers are complex. So complex that it's nearly pointless to draw conclusions like that from them. It only adds more useless noise to an already noisy issue.

I was being tongue in cheek with the grits thing, but I can pretty much guarantee you'll find an apparent link between grits and gun ownership. Also in cowboy hats and gun ownership.

What do you think the study is trying to say?
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #155
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
What do you think the study is trying to say?

i think the study is saying that they found a link between gun ownership and symbolic racism.

and i, myself, think this also links to the earlier article i posted about the 11 different nations within North America.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #156
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i think the study is saying that they found a link between gun ownership and symbolic racism.
This is exactly what I'm refuting. There are way too many factors at play to claim any such link.
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
This is exactly what I'm refuting. There are way too many factors at play to claim any such link.

Here's a link to the study:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0077552

Where do you think they've gone wrong?
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #158
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:09 PM
There's a correlation, sure. But that doesn't mean anything. If I found a correlation between racism and goatees, what would you take from that?
Jive Turkey is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,856
Local Time: 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
There's a correlation, sure. But that doesn't mean anything. If I found a correlation between racism and goatees, what would you take from that?

I think you might be oversimplifying.

I agree, the rule of social science is that correlation doesn't prove causation, but I also don't think the study is making the claims being ascribed to it.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 11-27-2013, 05:38 PM   #160
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Jive Turkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,646
Local Time: 06:09 PM
For argument's sake, let's say I am oversimplifying. What are we to do with this data? Is it implying that resistance to gun control is at least partly based on racism?
__________________

Jive Turkey is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×