ongoing mass shootings thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will anything get done though?

I think the Aussie method is pretty sound and solid. It doesn't infringe on anyone's rights, but it does make you go a little further to get one. The police checks would definitely send people into a rage.....

I also think insurance should be a thing for the firearms. I think most parents would do a much, much better job of securing their weapons and ammo knowing if a family member takes one and shoots someone or more people, they are held liable for some of the damages.

I'm not a lawyer, and would never claim to understand the law in this regard, but those that do know, is this something we CAN do? My fear is that any sort of restriction in this climate, with this SC, will be shot down.

We did pass a assault rifle ban before, but it was a different court then.

Also, we definitely need the CDC or another organization to study gun violence in this country. Completely maddening that we're not even allowed to research this.

That is an awesome speech.

So Senators Chris Murphy, Richard Blumenthal, and Cory Booker just recently filibustered (for fifteen hours) on behalf of a couple new gun control measures,. and I came across this video with Murphy from that filibuster session today. He tells one hell of a powerful story about two particular Sandy Hook victims in it:

https://youtu.be/KNN8DsOJ2v4

If King George ever comes back, we'll be ready for that fucker.

george1_3379960k.jpg

British MP murdered in cold blood today. The killer was yelling as he did it; not "Allahu Akbar", but "Britain First".

Truly horrifying.

Can't wait for it to still somehow be the fault of foreigners though. "If those Muslims weren't coming to Britain he wouldn't have felt the need to do this!"

Truly horrifying.

Can't wait for it to still somehow be the fault of foreigners though. "If those Muslims weren't coming to Britain he wouldn't have felt the need to do this!"

Some are already running with the generic "loner with mental illness!!!" crap.

[TWEET]743559727032991744[/TWEET]

Such a reluctance to use 'fascist', which is what the shooter was.

British MP murdered in cold blood today. The killer was yelling as he did it; not "Allahu Akbar", but "Britain First".
At least one other media report said a witness quoted did not hear "Britain first" shouted. It is unclear if the witness is same personcited by BBC.

"We were as shocked to hear these reports as everyone else,"Fransen told Reuters. "At the moment would point out this ishearsay, we are keen to verify the comments but we can only dothat when the police provide more details."

with time this will become more clear

Do we now have "Britain First" truthers?

Because multiple witnesses did hear it.

But he's just a deranged psycho. Definitely had nothing to do with all the crazy fervour whipped up in the Brexit debate. Nooo.

As well as Mr Khan, the group mentions fellow ‘targets’ Tory business minister Sajid Javid, the mayor of Oxford Mohammed Altaf-Khan, the mayor of Blackburn Hussain Akhtar and also Shafique Shah who they say is the mayor of Birmingham.

However, Mr Shah is not the mayor of Birmingham anymore. Ray Hassall is.

:doh: Real intelligent bunch of folks, aren't they?

Dear John McCain:

gif.gif

And also:

795275453134041382_zpsdc7f5bb5.gif

Yeah, this pretty much sums up my thoughts about him, too. The hell happened to that guy?

what do you mean by this? lunatic assassins have a long rich tradition in british history.

The current British political climate, with an emphasis on UK media outlets that feed on xenophobia (The Sun, Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph etc.). This generally sets the context for acts like these, and fair to say it's not unique to Britain, but living in Australia it's not difficult to stay in touch with UK politics. And fair enough, this is more widespread than simply Britain.

Nigel Farage/UKIP's new poster released on the same day as the murder reinforces that somewhat.

tl;dr the world is shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom