ongoing mass shootings thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I've heard the bit about him being extremely generous with his staff, which I can also believe.

But he has a super thin skin, so it would surprise me if he surrounded himself with anyone but yes-(wo)men. At least in his inner circle.

You know what's fucking insane. I'm still having arguments with people who think, that if some of the club goers were armed, FEWER people would have died. Seriously, arm possible drunk people in a dark crowded nightclub. That's the answer.

And don't even get me started on fucking Geraldo and his victim blaming.

Aqib Talib ( Broncos player ) had a gun in the club last week. Blacked out and pulled a Plaxico and shot himself in the leg.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

When I get emotional, I tend to shut down and get this stone faced sort of look with little visible emotion. But right now, every time I see a monument lit up from somewhere in the world, or vigils being held in lands so far away, I tear up. I don't know why. I am happy to see all the love and support for the currently crippled city of Orlando.

There was a big vigil today downtown Orlando. The feeling I got from it was that this city is going to come back stronger and even more united. As Floridians, we tend to be from all over. Even the recent growth has been fueled in large by first generation Floridians from Jacksonville, Tampa/St. Pete, and South Florida. The sense of being a Floridian is a weak bond, but I feel as though Orlando and Central Florida have helped change that. I came here 6 years ago, and have watched this city grow. The spirits here might be low right now, but I think the rebound is going to make bonds even stronger. The response has been overwhelming. People from all over. Not just LGBT people. Everyone in Orlando is giving a hand in response to this tragedy.

13413033_10153757587946909_8783872509019546002_n.jpg

:hug:

Haha, Maajid Nawaz. Why not just get Bill Maher or Sam Harris to write the exact same article.

Don't you know Maajid Nawaz isn't a *real* Muslim, Beal? I mean, can't you tell by his opinions? Definitely not the right opinions.

Don't you know Maajid Nawaz isn't a *real* Muslim, Beal? I mean, can't you tell by his opinions? Definitely not the right opinions.

BVS like to decide what opinions are valid in FYM. Perhaps he can vett the true believers.

I wasn't suggesting Nawaz wasn't a 'real' Muslim, just that he and his opinions stink.

Fair enough, that's the general critique of Nawaz from the left side of things.

I'm curious as to what you find disagreeable about his thoughts on Islamism, though

I've been fairly numb to this incident. I suppose my left brain tells me that a shooting can happen anywhere, and people in Paris were murdered in cafes and at rock concerts, and that I'm no more or less safe than I was on Friday night when I was drinking beer with friends in a rooftop gay bar on a gorgeous summer evening during Pride weekend. This particular event hits an intensely sensitive issue for me -- guns. Fewer things incense me more than the gun lobby, and their supporters, and even so-called "responsible" owners who refuse any responsibility let alone connection to an event like this. It's been easy for me to process this as yet another senseless gun tragedy. Yes, I wonder what I would do if a gunman armed with a legally processed AR-15 came into a big gay club I'm often found at on weekends. Would I get out? Be trapped in a bathroom? Play dead? Get shot in the head and be actual dead before my brains splatter on the floor? But I wonder these things about a workplace shooting. Such is life in an America where a small but powerful group holds us all hostage to a perverted notion of "freedom." I'd like to be free of that fear, please.

But witnessing the continued, heartfelt, highly emotional expressions of grief by my fellow LGBTQers in my FB feed makes me realize that by centering this around guns I'm guilty of an erasure of the specifically LGBTQ mass murder that took place. We've been bashed in Philadelphia, we've been murdered in New Orleans, we've been thrown off buildings in Syria executed in Iran and thrown into ovens in Auschwitz. There was mass death via plague in the 1980s and 1990s. I was having trouble connecting Saturday to those events, and also locating myself in any and all of those narratives. I'm white, male, educated, urban, salaried, married -- it's easy to not feel particularly oppressed (though was a journey to get here ... self-acceptance occasionally slips away).

I've also found myself listening to Hamilton, loudly, repeatedly, emotionally, and my only tears so far were during LMM's Tony acceptance speech where he said "love is love is love is love is love is love." The power of that music and my response was indication that there's something I've been avoiding.

In the way that a gun takes away your right to life in the most unfair way possible, this is a reminder that some view us as inherently unworthy of life as well. Safe spaces can be destroyed. We are still not safe. Indeed, no one really is, but we are not safe for a reason different than that of a straight person. We are still a feared minority, we are still objects of loathing (perhaps even by some of our own) because of who we are. No matter how high you rise, how many privileges you are afforded in other avenues of life, you are still just a faggot or dyke or tranny in some eyes. And less than human.

This is a major LGBTQ tragedy. It's our tragedy. I'd been avoiding that. I won't any longer.

Last edited:
I wish people would stop distributing this rumor that the shooter was gay. Such a headline feels like we've stepped back 20 years, and we are somehow shaming him or his kind by laughing at his potential sexuality.

The fact that he had been to the bar several times and used gay social media just as much supports the idea that he's maniacal and was plotting this act. Maybe he was repressed and self hating, I don't know. But until a guy comes out and says he engaged in some form of homosexual act with him, I wish people would stop accusing that. I don't know if I'm saying this correctly or not. But yeah, I'd like to imagine he wasn't gay. So maybe I have a bias there.

But something I've always hated is the labeling of people based upon indirect evidence (i.e. flamboyance or a high voice).

It just came out tonight that Disney's sophisticated security alerted the FBI when they detected Omar casing their locations in Orlando back in April.

The FBI has a lot to answer for.

It just came out tonight that Disney's sophisticated security alerted the FBI when they detected Omar casing their locations in Orlando back in April.

The FBI has a lot to answer for.

Link? From what I've read, this is alerting the FBI post-shooting. Not pre-shooting.

I wish people would stop distributing this rumor that the shooter was gay. Such a headline feels like we've stepped back 20 years, and we are somehow shaming him or his kind by laughing at his potential sexuality.

The fact that he had been to the bar several times and used gay social media just as much supports the idea that he's maniacal and was plotting this act. Maybe he was repressed and self hating, I don't know. But until a guy comes out and says he engaged in some form of homosexual act with him, I wish people would stop accusing that. I don't know if I'm saying this correctly or not. But yeah, I'd like to imagine he wasn't gay. So maybe I have a bias there.

But something I've always hated is the labeling of people based upon indirect evidence (i.e. flamboyance or a high voice).

I would normally agree! Particularly when it comes to mental illness. But I think it has relevance in this case - because if this person was someone who was in the closet, had used gay apps, been a regular at the club, etc, if this person was gay, then I think it adds to the discussion around just how heteronormative our society is, and how frowned upon homosexuality still is, whether it's in religion or not.

Going on from Irvine's excellent, wonderful post above, perhaps there's a discussion to be had that society still deems homosexuality as unacceptable, and that that fact eventually drove a closeted gay man to murder a room full of LGBT people in an LGBT club.

Perhaps, if as a society we didn't constantly diminish homosexuality, this man may have felt more comfortable in his own skin and not murdered 50 people. If the homophobia that we try to sweep under the carpet didn't exist, maybe those 50 people would still be alive today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom