ongoing mass shootings thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I've traveled around the world, walked in some dodgy areas, been in unsafe places, but it was only in the United States, the supposed most civilized country on Earth, where the fear of getting caught in a shooting entered my mind.

Sometimes, while visiting the States, I'd go somewhere, a public place like a restaurant, and wonder if we're all just sitting ducks for some lunatic with a legally-purchased gun. In New York this summer, where I spent 4 days to see a pair of U2 shows, I'd walk in somewhere and immediately take note of all the exit points, just in case I needed them. I'd formulate a plan of escape in my head.

Now you tell me if that's rational or not. I would submit to you that it's not. But that is where we are in the U.S. in 2015, and it's only getting worse because of inaction from so-called political leaders.

It's funny you mentioned that part that I've bolded but I also do the same thing but everywhere I go-even just the local dunkin donuts I notice if there's a second exit somewhere. Also travelling and sitting in conference rooms - I immediately look how close I am to an exit.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I've traveled around the world, walked in some dodgy areas, been in unsafe places, but it was only in the United States, the supposed most civilized country on Earth, where the fear of getting caught in a shooting entered my mind.

Sometimes, while visiting the States, I'd go somewhere, a public place like a restaurant, and wonder if we're all just sitting ducks for some lunatic with a legally-purchased gun. In New York this summer, where I spent 4 days to see a pair of U2 shows, I'd walk in somewhere and immediately take note of all the exit points, just in case I needed them. I'd formulate a plan of escape in my head.

Now you tell me if that's rational or not. I would submit to you that it's not. But that is where we are in the U.S. in 2015, and it's only getting worse because of inaction from so-called political leaders.

I feel the same way. Recently my wife and I were attending an event in a public place where one mentally ill person started to scream, and that immediately generated a stampede of people (there were probably 300+ there) running for the exits. Obviously everyone's fear was that the person had a gun. Is this seriously the way to live?

To me, it's not surprising that gun advocates tend to correlate very closely with the climate change-denying, anti-immigration, pro-foreign intervention, Jay Cutler is an elite quarterback (sorry) crowd. There seems to be a trend where a growing portion of the population, fueled perhaps by social-media-influenced groupthink, just choose to flat out ignore verifiable facts that are actually not that hard to grasp.

Last edited:
kingprayer4n-7-web.jpg

GOP offers prayers, not solutions, on Calif. massacre - NY Daily News

Maybe we could all post our favorite meaningless platitudes right here.

Just kidding ;)

Is it unusual for a terrorist to target places/people known to him? To attack the specific/familiar instead of the general/public?

Like, there's a part of me that wonders if he was a pissed-off employee but also was plotting terrorist stuff, and then the last straw happened and he said 'fuck it, I'm using my arsenal and attack gear for this instead because I hate those guys.' "

Should not have served Ham at the party......

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's funny you mentioned that part that I've bolded but I also do the same thing but everywhere I go-even just the local dunkin donuts I notice if there's a second exit somewhere. Also travelling and sitting in conference rooms - I immediately look how close I am to an exit.

I feel the same way. Recently my wife and I were attending an event in a public place where one mentally ill person started to scream, and that immediately generated a stampede of people (there were probably 300+ there) running for the exits. Obviously everyone's fear was that the person had a gun. Is this seriously the way to live?

i'm working on a project about a mass shooting at present. i have no idea how i'd get out of my office. i hate how i have to think about these things.

who needs Daesh or Al-Qaeda. Americans are plenty good at terrorizing themselves.

the gun industry loves this. :up:

President Obama today

"Yesterday, a tragedy occurred in San Bernardino, and as I said in the immediate aftermath, our first order of business is to send our thoughts and prayers to the families of those who have been killed and to pray for a speedy recovery for those who were injured during this terrible attack."

Kinda missing the point...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

A former deputy Prime Minister here in Australia is suggesting our foreign affairs department raise its US risk level advice for travellers: Tim Fischer says Australia needs to warn travellers about US gun violence | Australia news | The Guardian

Dang. If that doesn't just say it all about how other parts of the world view our handling of this issue.

Must be quite the conundrum for your average right winger - 2nd amendment rights applying equally to Islamists (if that is what it turns out to be).

My guess is it wouldn't be any different than how they view black people with guns (or black people being merely suspected to have guns) versus white people with guns.

White people with guns = Enjoying their Second Amendment rights.

Non-white people with guns = They're a threat and we must take them down.

Honestly, I've thought the same thing. Last year a customer came into the bookstore I worked at, and it was plainly obvious he was VERY mentally...off, saying things about how we don't have a Constitution anymore and he wanted to buy a copy of the ones we sold to see what his rights as a veteran were, and he was spouting stuff about sending poems about eggplant parmesan to the CIA and claimed the government was watching him (seriously)...

...and he just REALLY gave me the creeps when I was dealing with him. And all I could think was, if he's a veteran, and he's got familiarity with weapons, and one thing finally sets him off...

The fact that there's been shootings at malls also made me nervous working at ours sometimes, too, and I'd briefly wonder about what I'd do if I found myself in that sort of situation, where I'd go and how I might try and escape.

And then there was one time a couple years back when there was a shooting at a convenience store just a few blocks from my home. It wasn't a mass shooting, it was one guy killing another (and was likely drug-related).

But my mom goes down that road on her way home from work every day. And that shooting happened around the time she would've been coming home from work. Fortunately, she happened to have that day off, and therefore wasn't in the area. But hearing about it had me wondering what would've happened if she had been there all the same.

In short, we have a deeply serious problem in this country. And something needs to be done. And if someone can't see that, or refuses to do their part ot help change things, they are an idiot. End of story.

Is it unusual for a terrorist to target places/people known to him? To attack the specific/familiar instead of the general/public?

Like, there's a part of me that wonders if he was a pissed-off employee but also was plotting terrorist stuff, and then the last straw happened and he said 'fuck it, I'm using my arsenal and attack gear for this instead because I hate those guys.' "

Appears that this is sorta the case. He wanted to do something and went with what he knew.

It could be, and I'm just speculating here, that he became radicalized but couldn't bring himself to killing innocents like in Paris, so he went after people he knew already and actively disliked.

These people distroyed their hard drives and deleted emails and social media and distroyed their cell phones. Had numerous pipe bombs and 1000s of rounds of ammo.

President Obama today

"Yesterday, a tragedy occurred in San Bernardino, and as I said in the immediate aftermath, our first order of business is to send our thoughts and prayers to the families of those who have been killed and to pray for a speedy recovery for those who were injured during this terrible attack."

Yeah, missed the point. Offering your thoughts and prayers is all well and fine, but if you're in a position of power that gives you the opportunity to fix things, and you either refuse to even entertain the notion or actively block attempts to do so, then your thoughts and prayers are worse than meaningless.

Exactly. And Obama IS actually wanting to do something to solve this problem. He isn't just spouting rhetoric, he wants to tackle this.

But when the Republicans refuse to even acknowledge any solution other than "MORE GUNS!" and continue kissing up to the NRA lobbyists, that kind of makes it harder for any attempts Obama makes to try and deal with this to get very far.

There is a reporter who took every politician who tweeted their "thoughts and prayers" and then tweeted how much each received from the NRA.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm at my parents house. My step dad killing me right now with Fox news.

O'Reilly over here talking about islamists and cowards not willing to say that's what it is, when no one wants to look at the fact that religious terrorism reared it's head last week, but because it was a white Christian, he's just mentally disturbed.

I have a terrible headache, and this whole thing is too overwhelming.

Obama ordered all flags to half-mast.

Probably should just leave them there. People's arms will get tired, raising and lowering all those flags every other day.

Obama ordered all flags to half-mast.

Probably should just leave them there. People's arms will get tired, raising and lowering all those flags every other day.

At least that way people will stop making a national scene every time he doesn't lower it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom