ongoing mass shootings thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
local Sheriffs Dept says

3 people entered building

14 dead*

14 injured*

suspects have fled, no information on suspects, motives, or where they fled

* believed to be correct, may change

San Bernardino County is the largest county by land area in the Country. Seems like they were targeting some county officials. Left in a tinted out Yukon black SUV. My early theory is that some county officials were turning the screws on the drug trade in some way. The fact it was 3 men in masks suggests organization, but I shy away from a terror cell in that they go in to hit soft targets with maximum casualties and don't flee. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it was some kind of Cartel or other drug dealing organization hit.

as outlandish as this may sound to some people
this is not that far-fetched

not saying any of it is true, but I will not dismiss it out of hand

San Bernardino is not your typical CA town, it has issues.

Just to update you guys. I worked at Inland Regional Center from 2003 until 2012 and I still have friends there and the place i currently work for contracts with IRC and one of our counselors was there this morning but she thankfully left before the shootings took place. The shootings took place in the 3rd building which is the conference center, it's the building I worked in right before I left. I am thankful to hear my old coworkers are safe and accounted for. I was especially worried about my former coworker who has cerebral palsy because she works the front desk of the conference center which houses the family resource library. Because of her CP she obviously has limited mobility.

From what I understand through my contacts IRC had lent use of the auditorium to the Department of Public Health for their banquet today. The shooters opened fire in the auditorium. I was thinking about that because IRC would also hold toy drives which would draw in hundreds of kids and families that happens this time of the year. It's just scary. The reason the auditorium was probably targeted is because during events like this the main doors are open for the public. Buildings 1 and 2 which house the IRC counselors and other staff are locked and accessed through card keys. The main entrance to those buildings has receptionists that have to push a button to let people in and the receptionists are behind bullet proof glass. Not sure if the shooters were aware of what was going on today and that is why building 3 was targeted.

Last edited:
this is lousy, the person I know is a friend and tenant of mine.

I just deposited her December rent check this morning. She has not responded to my text. I could call her 24 year old daughter, what's the point? this is either the worst day of her life, or not. I'll find out soon enough. When the names of the victims come out, if there is a Susan F., she was my friend. A very decent person.
And none of this really matters, I am just using this post like a blog, I guess. Too many people lose friends, mothers, daughters, fathers, brothers, sons every day.

this is lousy, the person I know is a friend and tenant of mine.

I just deposited her December rent check this morning. She has not responded to my text. I could call her 24 year old daughter, what's the point? this is either the worst day of her life, or not. I'll find out soon enough. When the names of the victims come out, if there is a Susan F., she was my friend. A very decent person.
And none of this really matters, I am just using this post like a blog, I guess. Too many people lose friends, mothers, daughters, fathers, brothers, sons every day.

Hope she's ok. Wow....

as outlandish as this may sound to some people
this is not that far-fetched

not saying any of it is true, but I will not dismiss it out of hand

San Bernardino is not your typical CA town, it has issues.

Wanted to add the tentacles of the drug trade reach into every aspect of life. It's not inconceivable to think they had somebody in collusion in the County, perhaps they were being leaned on, blackmailed, strong armed and possibly reneged on the deal. The DEA and FBI would be putting the pressure on the drug trade. There is a connection with somebody and the shooters. Payback, revenge, warning. Doesn't have the hallmarks of a Paris style attack, it's not a lone nut, it was a tactical mission carried out with access to resources (weapons/vests). Local militia group?, can't rule it out, but it seems like they knew exactly what they were doing (maybe experienced), drove away slowly to blend into regular traffic before responders arrived. That leads me to drug related hit.

Just to update you guys. I worked at Inland Regional Center from 2003 until 2012 and I still have friends there and the place i currently work for contracts with IRC and one of our counselors was there this morning but she thankfully left before the shootings took place. The shootings took place in the 3rd building which is the conference center, it's the building I worked in right before I left. I am thankful to hear my old coworkers are safe and accounted for. I was especially worried about my former coworker who has cerebral palsy because she works the front desk of the conference center which houses the family resource library. Because of her CP she obviously has limited mobility.

From what I understand through my contacts IRC had lent use of the auditorium to the Department of Public Health for their banquet today. The shooters opened fire in the auditorium. I was thinking about that because IRC would also hold toy drives which would draw in hundreds of kids and families that happens this time of the year. It's just scary. The reason the auditorium was probably targeted is because during events like this the main doors are open for the public. Buildings 1 and 2 which house the IRC counselors and other staff are locked and accessed through card keys. The main entrance to those buildings has receptionists that have to push a button to let people in and the receptionists are behind bullet proof glass. Not sure if the shooters were aware of what was going on today and that is why building 3 was targeted.

Wow. Thanks for the info and insight. Hope your co-workers are OK. Must be a spooky feeling to have that connection.

I am sure David can shed some light on the unique situations SB has had to deal with in recent years.

But, like with all these situations, in the next few days a lot more information will come out. I think I will just wait.

So glad your old co-workers are okay, david. How utterly terrifying. I can't imagine.

And deep, I hope you hear from your friend soon, too :hug:.

I was thinking about that because IRC would also hold toy drives which would draw in hundreds of kids and families that happens this time of the year. It's just scary. The reason the auditorium was probably targeted is because during events like this the main doors are open for the public. Buildings 1 and 2 which house the IRC counselors and other staff are locked and accessed through card keys. The main entrance to those buildings has receptionists that have to push a button to let people in and the receptionists are behind bullet proof glass. Not sure if the shooters were aware of what was going on today and that is why building 3 was targeted.

This is chilling.

My old coworkers are safe. From what I am reading a holiday boutique was taking place today too put on by a vendor of regional center which might have included individuals with developmental disabilities attending.

Edited: The boutique with individuals with DD is tomorrow.

My old coworker is the facilities manager and said that the auditorium was used by San Bernardino Department of Public Health. I have no idea if they were targeted or if like I said, the gunmen thought that was the main building and went into because it was unlocked. When I worked in that building a lot of people would come in off the street thinking that building was the main building.

I guess the fact that we have an "ongoing mass shootings thread" says all you need to know about the problem.

I guess the fact that we have an "ongoing mass shootings thread" says all you need to know about the problem.

I doubt anything will change either. It's been said before, but if Sandy Hook was not enough, what will be?

I still wonder why IRC, a social work agency that provides services to individuals with developmental disabilities was targeted. We are what, barely a week removed from the planned parenthood shooting?

I'm curious about that, too. I had NBC on earlier and people were trying to analyze that part of things, too-one theory was the possibility of a disgruntled employee sort of scenario...but if that were the case, those people usually do these sorts of shootings alone, they don't bring other shooters with them. But again, it was just one of the many speculative theories tossed around.

Still haven't heard back from Bono

Heh.

I still say that eventually there will be some very noticeable pushback on this issue from the gun control side. I shudder to think of what the breaking point will be, but I do feel that some coalition of some sort has been quietly and slowly building since Sandy Hook, and eventually it'll become its own driving force. I certainly hope that'll be the case, anyway. But I just know that this insanity cannot last forever. Something has to give eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom