One Year Ago Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
...was The Station nightclub tragedy in Rhode Island. 100 people died, and so many others were severely injured

capt.srs10202200053.nightclub_fire_memorial_srs102.jpg

[Q]Sal and Peggy Paterno of Pembroke visit their daughter's grave every day. They say it helps to talk to her, to let her know that her sons, Jake, 7, and Jared, 5, are having fun in school and haven't forgotten their mother's warmth.

Laura Paterno-Gillett, 32, lived with her parents and was planning to return from The Station at a decent hour so she could spend the next day with her sons. Peggy Paterno became worried when it got to be midnight, then 1 a.m, and then 2.

No sign of Laura.

??I called her cell phone twice. It rang, but she didn't have it with her,'' Peggy Paterno said as she sat in her living room on a recent evening. ??I said, ?Laura, this is Mom. It's getting late.'''

Those were the last words she would say to her daughter, who was trapped in the burning nightclub with 99 other victims. Investigators told the Paternos that toxic smoke killed their daughter before the flames got to her - a lone piece of comfort as they prepared for her funeral.

??Your parents are supposed to die before you,'' said Sal Paterno, who visits his daughter's grave as many as four times a day. ??I know we're not the only ones going through this, but sometimes it feels that way.''[/Q]

http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2004/02/15/news/news02.txt

She was a great person. :sad:

I shudder to think of what those people went through. Does anyone remember that at the Grammy Awards just a few days later, not one person mentioned the tragedy? :sad: Those people died because they wanted to listen to music, and no one thought to say a word.

2002747_200X150.jpg

Sandy and Mike Hoogasian. :sad: Mike got a tattoo of a flame on his shouler that very afternoon, and ended up with tickets because he met a member of Great White at the tattoo parlor. He ran back in to find Sandy.

It was on my mind all day Friday and Saturday. I live ten minutes from where the Station was. My brother was supposed to go that night...thank God the show sold out before he could get any tickets.

I'm very sorry about your friend Laura, Dreadsox. Sandy was not a close friend of mine, but we had a lot of fun together at work. Everyone was so young, so many families were left wondering why.

Schmeg said:

I'm very sorry about your friend Laura, Dreadsox. Sandy was not a close friend of mine, but we had a lot of fun together at work. Everyone was so young, so many families were left wondering why.

Thank you

I am sorry for the loss of your friend as well.

Peace

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom