One more > for Family Values???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
perhaps he was thinking of the education of maps in south africa and the iraq so that we can build u.s. americans a better future for our children.

if the guy had just gotten a good lawyer he likely could have gotten the case thrown out. he didn't actually ask for sex. that he pled guilty immediately and tried to hide it, well, that says all it needs to there doesn't it?

:shrug: it sounds to me as if this his reaction to this event, and even his past voting record, is simply his way of trying to hide his insecurity with his true self.

i don't know why anyone has to cruise for sex in bathrooms, parks, wherever.

have these people never heard of the internet?

U2democrat said:
:crack:

Public bathrooms are nasty anyway, what kind of people would you want to pick up there? :yuck:

when you're deep in the closet and come from a homophobic background where the costs of coming out might include violence and rejection by family, friends, and culture, you seek it anywhere you can get it, and you'll probably find the same type of people in these places.

all this is quite odd for me, since it all seems so archaic. all very 1970s and 1980s to me. there doesn't seem to be any need for this kind of behavior, but then i'm not a deeply closted 60-something US Senator who's probably been doing this for 40 years. i've never heard of these "codes" that men apparently use to communicate through the stalls with one another. anyone who's seen "something about Mary" knows the joke about truck stops, and i've heard of this stuff, but i've never had such an experience, nor have i ever looked for one. basically, since i came out, i've been a bit of a serial monogamist, and if i ever wanted to be slutty and sleazy, well, there are plenty of websites (and, you know, bars!) for that, just like there are for straight people. and i'd imagine that anonymous sex that happens in a pre-negotiated fashion via email or discussion in a bar and occurs in the relative safety of one's bedroom is far, far more likely to be protected than these anonymous public encounters we occasionally read about. and you rarely hear about this stuff involving guys in their 20s and 30s. it really does seem to be a relic of the past.

it does seem, though, as if the public nature of these encounters becomes somewhat intoxicating, a bit of thrill-seeking, which probably explains George Michael's patheticness in the famously cruisy Hempstead Heath, as well as Sen. Craig's behavior, and, yes, even Clinton's blow-job-in-the-oval-office. there must be a thrill related to but independent of the actual sex that keeps men coming back for more.

and this could lead into a long, long dissertation on the costs of homophobia, and how this kind of sex is less likely to be protected sex, and this is why we see disease and HIV spreading amongs those who only identify as MSM -- Men who have Sex with Men -- and refuse to identify as gay, and how the best thing anyone can do is come out and live and honest life and go on dates and try to have relationships and this is why the social and legal recognition of gay relationships is so, so, so important to the overall health of the gay community.

but we've all heard that before.

homophobia kills.

I am of a generation that knows this behavior quite well through my gay friends. I have a couple of friends who were actually arrested for having sex in a public bathroom (a long time ago) and I am weirdly tuned in to eye contact among men in public places. Not that my friends engage in this behavior today but they've educated me on it and pointed it out to me so many times that I see it happening occasionally. At the mall when I happen to run into a gay man that I know (or one I suspect is closeted) just sitting innocently on a bench in the middle of the mall, and I note it happens to be near the men's room, I suspect he's cruising for sex. Sometimes I see men eyeing each other from table to table in a restaurant and then I observe one of them going to the bathroom, followed a minute or so later by the other one going to the bathroom. I also live in a really gay town. It's not always just older gay men but predominantly so, as Irvine says.

I guess the Senator felt that a public bathroom was safer in terms of anonymity than the internet. Internet conversations can be traced. Plus, the internet just isn't always available when the mood strikes. :wink: Plus many of that generation still aren't computer-savvy.

Many of the older gay men where I live have been out a long time but they're still sort of damaged from the trauma of coming out, and from having most of their friends die already, and this archaic behavior is almost an addiction of some kind (even if not literally), it's what got them through the old days. Many of them may even have long-term partners at home, but the thrill of anonymous sex that glorified the 70s and 80s gay subculture is still alive within them in a nostalgic kind of way. That's my take on it anyway. Just today at the gym I observed my neighbor, who lives with his partner, cruising at the gym and he is very much a part of that generation and that background.

But there are about a million other things I wish police would spend their time on instead of entrapping guys looking for a consenting bathroom quickie. For example, I was at the movies the other day and my friend went to the men's room during the movie. He reported that there was a little boy in there who couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years old, standing at the urinal with his pants down around his ankles, and there wasn't an adult with him in the bathroom. My friend was the only other person in there. Where the fuck were his parents, who obviously shouldn't have even been allowed to reproduce they're so incredibly stupid, and where was the plainclothed cop stalking public restrooms to make sure children are safe?

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
anyone who's seen "something about Mary" knows the joke about truck stops, and i've heard of this stuff, but i've never had such an experience, nor have i ever looked for one. basically, since i came out, i've been a bit of a serial monogamist, and if i ever wanted to be slutty and sleazy, well, there are plenty of websites (and, you know, bars!) for that, just like there are for straight people. and i'd imagine that anonymous sex that happens in a pre-negotiated fashion via email or discussion in a bar and occurs in the relative safety of one's bedroom is far, far more likely to be protected than these anonymous public encounters we occasionally read about. and you rarely hear about this stuff involving guys in their 20s and 30s. it really does seem to be a relic of the past.

i pulled over at a park and ride off the long island expressway to make a phone call one night, unable to find my hands free device and unwanting to get a ticket.

needless to say, "cruising" still very much goes on at this particular park & ride. it did take a while to figure out why all these middle aged men were circling around my car.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i pulled over at a park and ride off the long island expressway to make a phone call one night, unable to find my hands free device and unwanting to get a ticket.

needless to say, "cruising" still very much goes on at this particular park & ride. it did take a while to figure out why all these middle aged men were circling around my car.

Similar thing happened to me when I got lost in Seattle a couple of years ago and ended up driving through a city park by accident. It was after dark and quite busy. Except no one was interested in my car. :wink:

Irvine511 said:
all this is quite odd for me, since it all seems so archaic. all very 1970s and 1980s to me. there doesn't seem to be any need for this kind of behavior, but then i'm not a deeply closted 60-something US Senator who's probably been doing this for 40 years.
joyfulgirl said:
I am of a generation that knows this behavior quite well through my gay friends...Many of the older gay men where I live have been out a long time but they're still sort of damaged from the trauma of coming out, and from having most of their friends die already, and this archaic behavior is almost an addiction of some kind (even if not literally), it's what got them through the old days.
I'm somewhat in between the two of you in how I tend to react to stories like this, I guess...on the one hand I'm old enough to remember, if only from a naive child's perspective, a time when 'gay culture' was a hush-hush, underground thing associated in the public eye with risk and desperation and 'perversion'; on the other hand, I'm young enough that most gay people I've known don't at all see themselves as part of some secret fraternity, they're out and fully engaged in society, sure some are 'promiscuous' rather than relationship-oriented, but not in any qualitatively different way than the many straight people I've known who are like that. So part of me looks at someone like Larry Craig and winces and thinks, Ah geez, poor bastard, granted as a politician he screwed over other gay people who didn't go his route, but how sad that he had to come of age leading this stunted and secretive double life in order to maintain some social standing and dignity, and now he's too afraid and has too much to lose to change anything. But another part of me thinks, For God's sake, you're a father and a community leader and an elected representative of the whole country--act like it, be a man, stand up for honesty and respect in all your dealings and join hands with other gay people who are taking those risks and demanding the kind of dignified everyday life you always wanted for yourself anyway, minus all the deception and secrecy. It's not for me to decide when and where and why it might be in someone's best interests to settle for 'passing' in a given situation, but it both saddens and angers me to see someone who's apparently so warped that they actually believe themselves to be a better human being than others for having chosen to live a lie.

yolland said:

But another part of me thinks, For God's sake, you're a father and a community leader and an elected representative of the whole country--act like it, be a man, stand up for honesty and respect in all your dealings and join hands with other gay people who are taking those risks and demanding the kind of dignified everyday life you always wanted for yourself anyway, minus all the deception and secrecy. It's not for me to decide when and where and why it might be in someone's best interests to settle for 'passing' in a given situation, but it both saddens and angers me to see someone who's apparently so warped that they actually believe themselves to be a better human being than others for having chosen to live a lie.

Well said. I'm sure he honestly believes he's not actually gay, which is why he can't stand up and be that courageous man we'd like to see. He probably thinks he's a sinner and the devil made him do it (again and again and again...).

"Once again, we've found people in Washington have not lived up to the level of respect and dignity that we would expect for somebody that gets elected to a position of high influence. Very disappointing," Romney told CNBC.

Patrick Sammon, president of the Log Cabin Republicans, a gay Republican group, said by "his own admission," Craig violated the law, and voters should expect more from their representatives.

"Senator Larry Craig's ability to continue serving the people of Idaho is in serious doubt," Sammon said. "He has violated the public trust, not just with his inappropriate and illegal behavior, but in the subsequent explanation of his actions. Innocent people don't plead guilty. The time to contest these allegations would've been before his guilty plea."

And now,
He just held a news conference and denied everything.

I say he won't last.

David Vitter LA, well that's different.

Interesting these guys were all on board the Romney band wagon.

joyfulgirl said:

Well said. I'm sure he honestly believes he's not actually gay.

HE IS NOT GAY!!!!!!!

HE HAS A WIFE AND THREE CHILDREN.

GAY MEN DO NOT PUT THEIR SEED IN WOMEN'S VA JAY JAYS!!!

HE IS A PERVERT !!
THAT CHOOSES TO DO PERVERT THINGS.

IT IS A CHOICE HE IS MAKING!!

diamond said:
Senator Craig needs to go.

dbs

Again, as much as I like it when hypocrites are exposed, I don't think he should lose his job over this any more than Bill Clinton should have been impeached for lying about his blow job. I think he will go, but I don't think he needs to go.

This whole saga is crazy.

Not just with the "i'm not gay" thing, but that a long time US Senator would mistakenly plead guilty and not understand the consequences...it's weird.

U2democrat said:
This whole saga is crazy.

Not just with the "i'm not gay" thing, but that a long time US Senator would mistakenly plead guilty and not understand the consequences...it's weird.

Weird, but not all that surprising. The mental capacity of our current politicians certainly isn't ideal.

joyfulgirl said:
Again, as much as I like it when hypocrites are exposed, I don't think he should lose his job over this any more than Bill Clinton should have been impeached for lying about his blow job. I think he will go, but I don't think he needs to go.

you are right

but the senate does have

this ethics thing

"The Senate Ethics Manual provides that certain conduct may be improper even though it does not violate specific Senate rules or regulations. Such conduct has been characterized as 'improper conduct which may reflect upon the Senate,'" "This rule is intended to protect the integrity and reputation of the Senate as a whole."

and they will investigate this on that basis

my question
how is David Vittner's using illegal prostitution not as bad or worse than this?

deep said:

you are right

but the senate does have

this ethics thing

which seems to be mostly about sex and not about anything that really matters

The real "improper conduct which may reflect upon the Senate" is letting a madman lead us into a war based on lies and not holding him accountable for it.

deep said:

my question
how is David Vittner's using illegal prostitution not as bad or worse than this?

Of course it's worse.

But he was sticking his married dick in a vagina and not elsewhere so that's going to be tolerated.

Craig isn't gay. He just likes men.

Back
Top Bottom