On This Day In 1920

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
On Aug. 26, 1920, the 19th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, guaranteeing American women the right to vote, was declared in effect.

It's always a little sobering to me to remember that women didn't have that right in this country until then.

What are the countries in the world where women still don't have that right?

MrsSpringsteen said:
What are the countries in the world where women still don't have that right?

According to Wikipedia:

Bhutan -- One vote per family in village-level elections
Brunei
Lebanon -- Proof of education required for women, not required for men. Voting compulsory for men, optional for women.
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait -- But voted in 2005 to introduce suffrage for women older than 21 (to take effect in the 2007 national elections)

And of course all the countries which don't allow anyone to vote.

starvinmarvin said:
I don't know, but you guys better find out so that you invade those countries too.:|

As MrsSpringsteen said, this has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Please try to make your responses at least vaguely relevant to the thread topic. :)

And for what it's worth, using generalisations like "you guys" as though all Americans are in favour of invading other countries are offensive to many people here. Please try to be a bit more tactful and avoid such generalisations in future. Thank-you.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Pleae can we have just one thread that doesn't turn into a debate about Iraq? Just one -- please?

it is interesting how, as public support for the war in the US is rapidly disintegrating, the supporters come out swinging, as the best defense is a good offense ...

Irvine511 said:
it is interesting how, as public support for the war in the US is rapidly disintegrating, the supporters come out swinging, as the best defense is a good offense ...

That may well be the case, but how about both supporters and opponents of the war debate this in one of the many, many threads on the subject? :)

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Pleae can we have just one thread that doesn't turn into a debate about Iraq? Just one -- please?

I don't think so..I try, it always fails. Ditto for turning any thread into a debate on Christianity or into any opportunity to knock it or make generalizations about it. It's gotten so tiring and it's turning people off/driving them away. I'm starting to believe that some people here are addicted to negativity and/or to beating the same dead horse for all eternity and jumping on their personal soapbox all the time regardless of how inappropriate it may be :shrug: sorry, I just had to get that out..

Anyway, I found this on Google

Unless otherwise indicated, the date signifies the year women were granted the right both to vote and to stand for election. The countries listed below currently have a Parliament or have had one at some point in their history.

1788 United States of America (to stand for election)
1893 New Zealand (to vote)
1902 Australia*
1906 Finland
1907 Norway (to stand for election)*
1913 Norway**
1915 Denmark, Iceland*
1917 Canada (to vote)*, Netherlands (to stand for election)
1918 Austria, Canada (to vote)*, Estonia, Georgia1, Germany, Hungary, Ireland*, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russian Federation, United Kingdom*
1919 Belarus, Belgium (to vote)*, Luxembourg, Netherlands (to vote), New Zealand (to stand for election), Sweden*, Ukraine

1920 Albania, Canada (to stand for election)*, Czech Republic, Iceland**, Slovakia, United States of America (to vote)
1921 Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belgium (to stand for election)*, Georgia1, Sweden**
1924 Kazakhstan1, Mongolia, Saint Lucia, Tajikistan
1927 Turkmenistan
1928 Ireland**, United Kingdom**
1929 Ecuador*, Romania*
1930 South Africa (Whites), Turkey (to vote)
1931 Chile*, Portugal*, Spain, Sri Lanka
1932 Maldives, Thailand, Uruguay
1934 Brazil, Cuba, Portugal*, Turkey (to stand for election)
1935 Myanmar (to vote)
1937 Philippines
1938 Bolivia*, Uzbekistan
1939 El Salvador (to vote)
1941 Panama*
1942 Dominican Republic
1944 Bulgaria, France, Jamaica
1945 Croatia, Guyana (to stand for election), Indonesia, Italy, Japan1, Senegal, Slovenia, Togo
1946 Cameroon, D.P.R. of Korea, Djibouti (to vote), Guatemala, Liberia, Myanmar (to stand for election), Panama**, Romania**, The F.Y.R. of Macedonia, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yugoslavia
1947 Argentina, Japan1, Malta, Mexico (to vote), Pakistan, Singapore
1948 Belgium**, Israel, Niger, Republic of Korea, Seychelles, Suriname
1949 Bosnia and Herzegovina, Chile**, China, Costa Rica, Syrian Arab Republic (to vote)*
1950 Barbados, Canada (to vote)**, Haiti, India
1951 Antigua and Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, Nepal, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
1952 Bolivia**, Côte d'Ivoire, Greece, Lebanon
1953 Bhutan, Guyana (to vote), Mexico (to stand for election), Syrian Arab Republic**
1954 Belize, Colombia, Ghana
1955 Cambodia, Eritrea2, Ethiopia, Honduras, Nicaragua, Peru
1956 Benin, Comoros, Egypt, Gabon, Mali, Mauritius, Somalia
1957 Malaysia, Zimbabwe (to vote)**
1958 Burkina Faso, Chad, Guinea, Lao P.D.R., Nigeria (South)
1959 Madagascar, San Marino (to vote), Tunisia, United Republic of Tanzania
1960 Canada (to stand for election)**, Cyprus, Gambia, Tonga
1961 Bahamas*, Burundi, El Salvador (to stand for election), Malawi, Mauritania, Paraguay, Rwanda, Sierra Leone
1962 Algeria, Australia**, Monaco, Uganda, Zambia
1963 Afghanistan, Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Fiji, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Kenya, Morocco, Papua New Guinea (to stand for election)
1964 Bahamas**, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Papua New Guinea (to vote), Sudan
1965 Bostwana, Lesotho
1967 Democratic Republic of the Congo (to vote), Ecuador**, Kiribati, Tuvalu, Yemen (D.P. R.)
1968 Nauru, Swaziland
1970 Andorra (to vote), Democratic Republic of the Congo (to stand for election), Yemen (Arab Republic)
1971 Switzerland
1972 Bangladesh
1973 Andorra (to stand for election), Bahrain3, San Marino (to stand for election)
1974 Jordan, Solomon Islands
1975 Angola, Cape Verde, Mozambique, Sao Tome and Principe, Vanuatu1
1976 Portugal**
1977 Guinea Bissau
1978 Nigeria (North), Republic of Moldova1, Zimbabwe (to stand for election)
1979 Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Fed. States), Palau
1980 Iraq, Vanuatu1
1984 Liechtenstein, South Africa (Coloureds + Indians)
1986 Central African Republic, Djibouti (to stand for election)
1989 Namibia
1990 Samoa
1993 Kazakhstan1, Republic of Moldova1
1994 South Africa (Blacks)
2005 Kuwait

In the United Arab Emirates, where the Parliament is officially appointed, neither men nor women have the right to vote or to stand for election. In Saudi Arabia, men took part, in 2005, in the first local elections ever held in the country. Women however were not allowed to exercise their right to vote or to stand for election on that occasion.
* Right subject to conditions or restrictions
** Restrictions or conditions lifted

1. Reference to several dates reflects the stages in the granting of rights. It is not uncommon, in countries previously under colonial rule, for women to have been granted the rights to vote and be elected by the colonial administration and to have had them confirmed at the time of accession to independence. Similarly, it is not uncommon, in countries that were formerly part of a federation and in which women were entitled to vote and be elected under the federal legislation, for women to have had these rights confirmed under the Constitution of the newly independent State.
2. In November 1955, Eritrea was part of Ethiopia. The Constitution of sovereign Eritrea adopted on 23 May 1997 stipulates that "All Eritrean citizens, of eighteen years of age or more, shall have the right to vote."

Last edited:
MaxFisher said:
Thanks to W, Iraqi woman can now vote.

They also don't have the basic necessities of life anymore, but at least they're free. Good logic there.

BTW, my post is actually VERY relevant.

starvinmarvin said:

They also don't have the basic necessities of life anymore, but at least they're free. Good logic there.

Oh really? huh....i didnt know that food, water, and shelter no longer existed in Iraq.

starvinmarvin said:

I'm not surprised :|

Even if you were right, and people no longer have basic neccesities in order to live, that in no way detracts from the fact that women now have the right to vote in Iraq.

Ok Springsteen....I'll shut up now! Sorry for derailing your thread!:silent:

MaxFisher said:

Even if you were right, and people no longer have basic neccesities in order to live, that in no way detracts from the fact that women now have the right to vote in Iraq.

Ok Springsteen....I'll shut up now! Sorry for derailing your thread!:silent:

The next question is: what do they have to vote FOR?

MaxFisher said:
Well they voted in the national election that took place earlier in the year.

Oh, you're referring to the election where people were led to believe they were voting for the Iraqi leader, but actually weren't? The one where people had no idea what they were voting for? Yes, I am familiar with that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom