Olympic Speed Skating Gold Medalist Donates Bonus To Children In Darfur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be nice to see an official Olympic charity. Plenty of money flowing around the games with very little getting donated like Cheek and Hughes.

ITA, nbc. Considering how lavish and expansive the games have become and how much sponsors of either the teams or the individual athletes are profiting, it would be nice to see a concerted effort to donate more.

If amateur athletes like Joey Cheeks and Clara Hughes, who are by no means well off, nor participating in a very profitable sport, can donate significant amounts of money relative to their earnings, you would think that instead of running silly Bode Miller ads, Nike could cough up that dough for a greater cause.

si.com

TORINO, Italy - Apolo Anton Ohno and Joey Cheek soon will join millions of Americans for breakfast. Wheaties today announced the release of two new special-edition packages commemorating the speed skaters' outstanding performance on the world stage in Torino.

"I've been blessed to have been put in a position to help make a difference for others, and to have the support of my family and friends," Cheek says. "For an athlete, being on the Wheaties box is a quintessential honor. My heroes growing up were Eric Heiden and Michael Johnson; to join them as part of the Wheaties family is more than a dream come true."

Wheaties also announced that it will make a donation to support Right to Play as part of Cheek's package appearance.

The soon-to-be-released 18-ounce packages will be available nationally beginning in the middle of March.

Back
Top Bottom