Old Soldiers Back On Duty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
(CBS) This past week, the Pentagon announced it’s boosting the levels of U.S. troops in Iraq to its highest point ever – 150,000.

It’s sending in paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne, extending the tours of Marines, and it has started drawing from a pool of semi-retired soldiers called the Individual Ready Reserve.

It's a sign that the Army needs able, and not so able, bodies very quickly. And many of the men and women being mobilized from the Ready Reserve – approximately 5,000 this year – are not very happy about it.

In fact, a third of these soldiers who’ve been called up haven’t shown up. But if old soldiers never die, as the saying goes, the Army isn’t letting them fade away. Correspondent Bob Simon reports.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/03/60minutes/main658994.shtml

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's an interesting read. 50 year olds being called back for duty. Say what you want, yes technically these soldiers are still under contract or what not, but this is ridiculous. It sounds of desperation. What is going to happen when we have to invade another country? Pull in the 70 year olds? Say what you want about not having a draft but will someone tell me the alternative is there is another attack by another country?

I think I read an article a couple of weeks ago about someone in their 70's going, I don't recall if it was voluntary or not

Last edited:
Troops are needed for nation building, nation building is an optional practice, if there was a set of massive attacks launched from a variety of countries the US could bomb the respective governments to smitherenes and go after the terrorists with minimal troop numbers.

Back
Top Bottom