Ok, Sports Fans: Iraq is Voting Today....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
I will post news that I find here. :)

Will it pass? Is it too centralized? Too federal? Too vague?

It's so easy for the insurgents to win this one ideologically and so far for the US to. If it doesn't pass, they win. If it does, and people don't like it, they win. We only 'win' (and I dislike reducing this to such simplistic terms but bear with me) if it passes AND proves workable in balancing majority will and minority rights AND discredits the insurgency, we MIGHT win. :yikes:

I doubt any sort of constitution would satisfy an insurgency, short of giving full control to the insurgency leadership.

Prepare for a lot of bombing and dead Iraqi citizens at the hands of their brethren.

The insurgents took out a major part of Baghdad's electricity right before the vote. You're right we can't please these people. If it passes and people get their rights, then the people win. I hope, for the sake of the Iraqi people, that it passes.

Polls have closed, and apparently there have been nearly no major reports of violence aside from a handful of injuries. That's great! :up:

I hope people (especially politicians in the US) don't make a huge deal if in fact it doesn't pass. Ours took a long time too...

I was wondering what is the purpose of the finger in the ink.{ring}......does that represent that they voted............is is like our "I voted" stickers????

Just curious how the tradition started........

:|

That's my understanding to, VG.

Polls have close, according to the latest BBC article, and violence was at a minimum. :up: (Where's that "wiping the sweat off your brow" smiliey when you need him?) On the other hand, Sunnis were apparently voting "no" in large numbers.

I guess we''ll see. It's all BS until the results are in.

I don't know. As much as I've read about the efforts of the United States to really try to be fair to all minorities within Iraq, I'm not sure whether the Iraq project will work. This has nothing to say whether this vote passes or not. I almost don't care what happens with that. Its already a debacle and an embarassment. But, Iraq is the cultural center of the Middle East. If Iraq can find a democratic identity that is not rejected by the people of the Middle East, it may be a good thing for that region's future. That is just a major 'if'.

Sherry Darling said:
On the other hand, Sunnis were apparently voting "no" in large numbers.

See, I don't understand why exactly so many people and news agencies are making that out to be such a negative thing. most Sunnis are obviously opposed to federalism and have some good reasons to be. the fact that the majority of them are expressing this by going to the polls and voting that way, as opposed to turning to violence, is in my opinion a huge thing. Constitutions take a while to write, just look at ours. I think the important thing is that the process is civil and inclusive.

Mud in the Sand said:
If Iraq can find a democratic identity that is not rejected by the people of the Middle East, it may be a good thing for that region's future.

Truer words have never been spoken. This is the vision, the big idea.

And the Sunnis are voting "no"? Hey, they're VOTING!!!

If it gets pushed back by a no vote I think it could send a stronger message than a yes vote, it would reinforce that in a democratic system the people have the power.

Back
Top Bottom