Ohio predictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonosSaint said:
PA is basically conservative /moderate democrat. I can't see it going Republican for the general, particularly with the worsening economy here. I don't see it as a runaway though. Last election was close, but we had two Republican senators at the time. Now we've got one and the Republicans consider him a RINO. There is definitely an increase in Democratic registration.

The unempolyment rate in Pennsylvania is below the current national average of 5%. Its not a state that is in the hot seat when it comes to the economy currently.

Democratic registration has increased, but these are Democrats who are more conservative politically and are not against crossing party lines and voting for a Republican. They gave the state to Reagan and Bush Sr. in the 80s. The current polling shows they may very well vote for McCain if the Democratic nominee is Obama.

Maine has two Republican Senators, but its not about to go red and is certainly not a battleground state for November 2008.

I won't be calling Texas anytime soon

I will say this

cauci have been good to Barack Hussien
that system favors him

I would be partying with the young things
over the blue hairs :shrug:

but, more importantly
the Dems in Texas have a crazy ass weighted delegate thing
where the legal brown American voters that trend for Hillary will not get as many delegates as other people.

deep said:

I will say this

that system favors him

but, more importantly
where the legal brown American voters that trend for Hillary will not get as many delegates as other people.

I'm gonna start referring to your posts as "deep speak".

I've read that PA has been going more Democratic lately, strongbow, so there's a lot of theories out there.

I think what I specifically read was that the suburbs, which were typically strong for the GOP, have been moving Dem. My county follows this trend.

I'm saying we didn't go Republican when we had two Republican senators and there is a shift now even more toward Democrat. The unemployment rate does not take into account the underemployed rate, of people working for less now than they did a few years ago. Trust me, it's a factor.

phanan said:

Interesting. Where did you read this?

What I meant to say was that most Democrats in the state in general tend to be more conservative politically, I'm not sure about newly registered Democrats specifically.

Simply looking at election results from the past several decades and party identification, plus how many states have Democrats that would rally around a pro-life Democrat for Governor, you can tell that Democrats in PA on average are more conservative than those further North or out West.

Hell Andrea Mitchell just mentioned to Chris Matthews that Democrats in Pennsylvania are a different breed.

Strongbow said:

What I meant to say was that most Democrats in the state in general tend to be more conservative politically, I'm not sure about newly registered Democrats specifically.

Simply looking at election results from the past several decades and party identification, plus how many states have Democrats that would rally around a pro-life Democrat for Governor, you can tell that Democrats in PA on average are more conservative than those further North or out West.

Hell Andrea Mitchell just mentioned to Chris Matthews that Democrats in Pennsylvania are a different breed.

But PA is moving in the Dem direction, that's the thing. The economy is beginning to feel the drag here, and people are going Dem as a result.

You keep bringing up the abortion issue, but it's honestly not as big of an issue as you think here.

phanan said:

Interesting. Where did you read this?

Strongbow's not necesssarily wrong there. But there has been an unusual shift in the past few years. I think there is a growing dissatisfaction in PA, even the tenor of talk radio is changing, which surprised me.

deep said:

I will say this

that system favors him

but, more importantly

deep FTL. :down:
i haven't posted here but i've been reading. this post really rubs me the wrong way. do you think your racist labels really add substance to this?

BonosSaint said:
I'm saying we didn't go Republican when we had two Republican senators and there is a shift now even more toward Democrat. The unemployment rate does not take into account the underemployed rate, of people working for less now than they did a few years ago. Trust me, it's a factor.

I'm saying it does not matter who your Senators are especially in a state like Pennsylvania.

The unemployment rate is directly impacted by the underemployed rate since lower incomes equals, lower spending, which equals lower economic growth and a rise in the unemployment rate. Overall, that has not been a factor in Pennsylvania relative to the rest of the country.

unico said:

deep FTL. :down:
i haven't posted here but i've been reading. this post really rubs me the wrong way. do you think your racist labels really add substance to this?

are you aware of how delegates will be selected in Texas?

phillyfan26 said:

But PA is moving in the Dem direction, that's the thing. The economy is beginning to feel the drag here, and people are going Dem as a result.

You keep bringing up the abortion issue, but it's honestly not as big of an issue as you think here.

The abortion issue is not an issue for the general election in Pennsylvania at all. But, the fact that Democrats in the state would support a pro-life candidate for Governor of their party shows you that Democrats in Pennsylvania tend to be much more conservative than your average Democrat in most other states.

The polls with McCain as the Republican nominee show things moving in the REP direction at the moment. McCain is a Republican that many Pennsylvania Democrats could vote for.

On the economy, Pennsylvania overall is doing well relative to the rest of the country and especially when compared with Ohio, Missouri and Michigan.

Strongbow said:

The abortion issue is not an issue for the general election in Pennsylvania at all. But, the fact that Democrats in the state would support a pro-life candidate for Governor of their party shows you that Democrats in Pennsylvania tend to be much more conservative than your average Democrat in most other states.

The polls with McCain as the Republican nominee show things moving in the REP direction at the moment. McCain is a Republican that many Pennsylvania Democrats could vote for.

On the economy, Pennsylvania overall is doing well relative to the rest of the country and especially when compared with Ohio, Missouri and Michigan.

Are you talking about Casey again? He hasn't been governor in over a decade.

phillyfan26 said:

Are you talking about Casey again? He hasn't been governor in over a decade.

Doesn't matter. It simply shows how Democrats in Pennsylvania on average are more consevative than Democrats to the north and further west.

I am almost convinced that Obama would be gone from this race had Florida and Michigan behaved themselves.

Strongbow said:

Doesn't matter. It simply shows how Democrats in Pennsylvania on average are more consevative than Democrats to the north and further west.

It's 2008.

way to go, Democrats.

snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, ensuring that there's going to be weeks and weeks of nasty Clintons, all while McCain bides his time and has the Dems do the dirty work for them. and what's terrible, is that the math remains in Obama's favor. it will still be very hard for her to win. so what do they do? destroy the party.

Irvine511 said:
way to go, Democrats.

snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, ensuring that there's going to be weeks and weeks of nasty Clintons, all while McCain bides his time and has the Dems do the dirty work for them. and what's terrible, is that the math remains in Obama's favor. it will still be very hard for her to win. so what do they do? destroy the party.

As per usual, I'm with you 100%. While many may want this primary to continue to "test" these candidates, it will only continue the ugly tactics used by the clintons, which will turn people off and away, as the Republicans shore up their support.

Dreadsox said:
Say it with me now....

President McCain

considering he was the only human being running on the GOP side, if it has to be anyone, let it be him.

i still wouldn't bet on it, though.

he's got some major, major problems. now's his grace period. let's wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom