"Oh Well, It Doesn't Affect Us"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the rockin edge

Blue Crack Addict
I was talking to someone today, he is 14 I think and we were talking about current world events. He said something like there weren't any wars at the moment like there used to be(we weren't talking about iraq) I mentioned africa and how there have been wars, genocide etc recently/currently and he said something like "well the're not much of anything" So I said, "well alot of people died" and his responce was
"Yeah, well it doesn't affect us".

I was speechless that he could brush it off like that so quickly and before I thought of something to say he had to leave.

He is from a very conservative christian family and I was thinking later that if this is a common attitude towards world events by the conservative right in the US, this is:

1 a very dangerous problem:|
2 not a very christian attitude :huh:

what do you guys think?

Well this guy is 14 and honestly has somewhat of an excuse. BUT the problem is you have 20+ year olds who believe the same damn thing, we see it in here all the time.

the rockin edge said:
what do you guys think?

It's a very common attitude even amongst adults. After all, "it's better to wage the war on terrorism abroad than it is to wage it at home."

In other words, who cares how many foreign civilians we may kill, even if by accident or "collateral damage"? As long as it "doesn't affect us."

Melon

the rockin edge said:

Well maybe, but I think that from what I have seen of this family the kids do and think what the parents do and think

Maybe. But I have complete opposite views from the majority of my family. Maybe it comes with age or experience, maybe it doesn't.

Sometimes no matter what facts, experience, or reality some will never change and you're right it's sad.

the rockin edge said:

He is from a very conservative christian family and I was thinking later that if this is a common attitude towards world events by the conservative right in the US, this is:

1 a very dangerous problem:|
2 not a very christian attitude :huh:

what do you guys think?

I don't think this attitude of indifference can be labeled a conservative Christian attitude. It applies to more than Christians.

How a lot of people deal with the violence and senseless death in this world is like having a skunk in your house. After living with such an awful smell for a couple of days, you start to get used to it. After awhile you don't notice how bad your house stinks and how bad you stink.

Our society has become numb to violence in the world and indifferent to the victims of it.

I agree that it is dangerous and not very Christian like.

Re: Re: "Oh Well, It Doesn't Affect Us"

BostonAnne said:
Our society has become numb to violence in the world and indifferent to the victims of it.

I'd say it goes further to say we are indifferent to other people period. There is a general reluctance to share our thoughts, feelings, rationale for what is right and wrong in this world. We simply don't care for or about each other.

I agree with BostonAnne and nb. Plus, the guy's 14 — a lot of 14-year-olds can't comprehend what it all means, especially American or Western 14-year-olds. I don't mean that to be insulting, it's just ignorance.

It is sad though. And I think like nb said, we all have to fight our own indifference, especially as Americans and Christians. Then, of course, education is important for everyone as well. I guarantee if this 14-year-old met someone from Sudan and heard their story or even took a trip over there, he'd think differently.

Ok guyz im 15. Any war in my opinion is wrong, it don't matter if one person dies or one million. i include in this the war against aids and poverty, which to me are just as big as any 'conventional' war. I do find it upsetting when my peers feel this way (not that my m8s get away wiv it they alwys get an ear bashing)

Same applies to 'yob culture' in the UK - a totally pointless thing that is like a war in itself. If you want my views on anything esle im happy to give, this a very brief 'note' because i'm in a rush. though i spose - on issues like this we should awlays try and make time

later,
dave

my parents and some of my friends have that exact same attitude--what happens in africa/asia/etc. happens to africans/asians/etc., and doesn't affect us. what i find interesting is that my parents are bitter people who think they've been screwed over by life, and think their suffering is unjust--while they completely dismiss the suffering of others who are immeasurably worse off than they will ever be.

this is a big source of contention in our relationship, especially since i am an activist working towards a career in international human rights law. my parents try to belittle my ambitions by telling me that we should be taking care of our own country's poverty issues before trying to help with anyone else's. why must it be one and not the other? why can't we do both? some of my friends tell me that i'm too emotionally involved, that i take things too personally. i think these are simply convenient excuses to make themselves feel better about the fact that they quite simply just don't care, a justification for their apathy. not to say that we shouldn't be helping people in our own country, but 'poor' in north america is still 'rich' by third world standards. where is the equality?

i like to think that i at least give them pause and get them thinking about these issues. i may never change their minds, but i constantly remind them of why i disagree.

Have you seen the movie The Day After Tomorrow? It was kinda dumb/not really factual, but it does have a point. What if the northern half of the globe did freeze over and everyone had to move south to places like Africa, India, Mexico, and Central America? In the movie, the Americans are very kindly received by all of the people we've done less than shit to help out. I know it's just a movie, but it helps people look at the issue from a different angle, especially people who might think these issues have nothing to do with them.

I don't think it has to do with being conservative. I think it has to do with education. History and social studies are not being taught enough in schools and this leads to general lack of understanding regarding world affairs. When it is taught, it is presented in a friendly way so as not to offend anyone.
In my area of the world, instead of teaching history, schools have started to teach cultural studies which focus on different cultures. It usually relates to things such as, food, dress, and music.

Some people are just too provincial. They don't think that something that doesn't directly affect them is worth their time. They're wrong, there are some things going on that will affect the entire globe. And you're right, Maggie, they're not teaching enough social studies and history in schools.

He should care! Freedom isn't free. We have to fight the terrorists now or they will come to our country and eat your children! HOMELAND SECURITY TERRORIST THREAT LEVEL: (grabs m&m)....ORANGE!!!! BE VERY AFRAID...YEEEEHAAA! (throws cowboy hat in the air and shoots it)

Back
Top Bottom