OH NO...say it isn't so

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Harry

you may be on to something here :yes:

Imagine being on the floor in Denver. Hillary's delegates, NEARLY HALF THE DELEGATES, are demanding she be on the ticket. These are true believers who have stuck with Clinton through thick and thin. To them, putting Hillary on the ticket is a crusade.

Most Clinton delegates are women, most Democratic voters are women, and they're going to just accept some middle aged white governor that Obama is rumored to want? No way. They are in your face. Hillary supporters from back home are jamming your Blackberry. This and more horror scenes flash through your mind in a nano second.

Then it occurs to you; if the roles were reversed and Obama came close to winning and wanted to be the vice presidential candidate, could you imagine the convention saying no?

Hillary is in the DRIVER'S SEAT !

It should not be ruled out completely. We have had President/VP tickets that were made up of former rivals. I believe that Reagan and Bush fit this bill.

The big question, of course, is whether they can work together at all. If they are not compatible, then it just might not work, no matter how much wishful thinking there is out there.

It MAY...I only say may...be an asset in a general election campaign. However, it would be very impractical in an actual administration. It would be a co-vice presidency vs. Obama. A former president and his spouse who felt entitled to the #1 spot are stuck in #2...that's more than your typical VP-Pres rivalry.

it's still going to happen.

she'll get in there and do all the dirty work for him so he can glide all movie star-ish like JFK.

and make no mistake. his acceptance speech will be soaring and beautiful, and the movement will continue apace.

in other news, i am very pleased that McCain has pretty much given up on the base and is going to fight for the independents and moderates. that's a good thing for everyone.

until he chooses Huck for VP.

Irvine511 said:

until he chooses Huck for VP.

Huckabee jokes about Obama ducking a gunman

Posted: 04:00 PM ET

(CNN) – During a speech before the National Rifle Association convention Friday afternoon in Louisville, Kentucky, former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee — who has endorsed presumptive GOP nominee John McCain — joked that an unexpected offstage noise was Democrat Barack Obama looking to avoid a gunman.

“That was Barack Obama, he just tripped off a chair, he's getting ready to speak,” said the former Arkansas governor, to audience laughter. “Somebody aimed a gun at him and he dove for the floor.”

Obama supports extending the assault weapons ban, limits on gun sales, and a national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel.

What an ignorant remark by Huckabee

though it would be nice to have Hillary do the dirty work, it seems Obama knows how to hit back, fast and hard and with dead-on aim:

[q] Well I want to be perfectly clear with George Bush and John McCain – if they want a debate about protecting the United States of America, that’s a debate I’m ready to win, because George Bush and John McCain have a lot to answer for ... in the Bush-McCain worldview, everyone who disagrees with their failed Iran policy is an appeaser. And back during his “No Surrender” tour, John McCain said anyone who wants to end the war in Iraq responsibly wants to surrender; he even said later on that he would be ok keeping troops in Iraq for 100 years, but yesterday he said our troops could be home by 2013. He offered the promise that America will win a victory, with no understanding that Iraq is fighting a civil war. Just like George Bush, his plan isn’t about winning, it’s about staying, and that’s why there will be a clear choice in November: fighting a war without end, or ending this war. Because we don’t need John McCain’s prediction about when the war will end – we need a plan to end it. [/q]

bring. it. on.

It's refreshing, certainly, to see a Democrat who will take on the neo-cons.

He's ready, he's hyped and he's amped.

Most of his heroes don't appear on no stamps.

(With apologies to Public Enemy)

There is no chance, absolutely no chance that Hillary winds up on the ticket. It has nothing to do with the fact that they are rivals in a tough campaign, all politicians are big enough to forget that in the name of political expedience. The reason we will not see Hillary is that she brings NOTHING to the ticket. Obama is an inexperienced Northerner and despite her talk about 'experience,' she was the 2nd least experienced person in the entire Democratic primary. So she is an inexperienced Northerner w/all the baggage to go along with no crossover appeal. She mobilizes 20% of the population to come out and vote just to vote against her. The fact that women make up most Democratic voters is irrelevant, very few would crossover just because the nominee was not a woman. I know many young women(early 20s) at my school who find it offensive that people are saying they should vote for Hillary because they are women. Putting her on the ticket is general election suicide, pure and simple.

Obama is already a weak candidate, and this will become more apparent as we go along. The only chance of beating McCain, in what should be a slam dunk Democratic year for us, is for Obama to balance the ticket with a Southern or Western VP with alot of experience, preferably in foreign policy and national security. Here is the short list if he even has a prayer of winning.
1.)Bill Richardson-Western governor, has done a great job on economy, budget and crime issues in NM. Most importantly, he has experience as an ambassador, energy secretary, diplomat, and congressman. Also helps Obama w/Hispanics and the West is the fastest growing region, both for Democrats and the country as a whole. The ideal choice is Richardson.
2.)Sam Nunn-Southerner, former Senator, national security and arms control expert, well respected by the business community as well as by Democrats and Republicans across the board.
3.)Jim Webb-Similar to Nunn, but current, more energetic, actually an authentic combat veteran w/a kid in Iraq. Will take less shit from the other side than Richardson or Nunn. Helps Obama appeal to blue collar whites. Webb is exactly the kind of guy the Democrats want to present as the new face of the party. Also, Virginia is increasingly in play for the Democrats.

If I was Obama I would go for Webb as well. Seems like a top notch guy who could help with the white male votes. Ex veteran as well which could really help counter McCain.

deep said:
his son is in Iraq
and I believe he was Sec of the Navy for Reagan.

You are correct. As for Virginia, observers have been shocked how much and how fast it has swung toward the Democrats. A deep red state for the last 40 some yrs, no signs of that changing in 2004. 2005 Governors race was one thing, Kaine won largely on the popularity of Warner. However, no one thought Webb had any serious shot at the Senate against George Allen. The suburbs around DC are expanding very quickly, lots of high tech jobs, new Democratic voters looking for good roads, good schools, good jobs, etc. The rural blue collars are no longer a lock for the GOP, many of those voters like Warner, Kaine, and Webb as they are moderate guys who speak to them as opposed to writing them off and talking down to them. The more the Democrats show authentic business/faithful/military types like Warner, Kaine and Webb, the more the phonys like Allen get exposed for who they are. Same holds true for Virginia as it does for Ohio, Florida, Missouri, W VA, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, all states Democrats can win in if they are smart. BIG IF, but the recent evidence is good.

Back
Top Bottom