Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How dare they bring up stuff that has nothing to do with qualifications for being president!

Being a POW does have nothing to do with being qualified to be president. There have been thousands upon thousands of POW's during our country's many wars. I honor their service and bravery, and I'm grateful for all that came out alive, including John McCain. Very few would have the qualifications necessary to become president and be able to handle all the situations and complicated issues our country faces. That being said, I don't think anyone would mind McCain's POW experience being talked about at the GOP convention. It's a part of his story, and like all conventions, the story of the nominee is one of the biggest parts.

Being a POW does have nothing to do with being qualified to be president. There have been thousands upon thousands of POW's during our country's many wars. I honor their service and bravery, and I'm grateful for all that came out alive, including John McCain. Very few would have the qualifications necessary to become president and be able to handle all the situations and complicated issues our country faces. That being said, I don't think anyone would mind McCain's POW experience being talked about at the GOP convention. It's a part of his story, and like all conventions, the story of the nominee is one of the biggest parts.

will you stop with your distinctions, nuance, and understanding?

it keeps the Republicans from being able to view their opponents as communist sympathizers who eat aborted babies for breakfast.

will you stop with your distinctions, nuance, and understanding?

it keeps the Republicans from being able to view their opponents as communist sympathizers who eat aborted babies for breakfast.

Sorry. I always forget to turn off the button in my mind that allows me to form logical, rational thoughts.:doh: It would make life so much easier if I did, though.

Being a POW does have nothing to do with being qualified to be president. There have been thousands upon thousands of POW's during our country's many wars. I honor their service and bravery, and I'm grateful for all that came out alive, including John McCain. Very few would have the qualifications necessary to become president and be able to handle all the situations and complicated issues our country faces. That being said, I don't think anyone would mind McCain's POW experience being talked about at the GOP convention. It's a part of his story, and like all conventions, the story of the nominee is one of the biggest parts

Laughable.

This should be in the Republican convention thread BTW, don't you think?

Exactly what experience does qualify someone for president? Because the life experiences of these folks, to me, seem the most important of all. It's who they are, and bears GREAT, GREAT influence on their decisions related to such matters as... let's say...

war.

erm, is it just Democrats who are talking about this? it seems it's the Republicans who are on TV "defending" the pick and explaining away the drip-drip-drip of strangeness.

and it's only been 72 hours.

did the McCain campaign not see this coming? i thought she was thoroughly vetted?

it is interesting to note, the McCain campaign is lashing out at CNN for simply asking for a single example of Palin commanding the Alaska National Guard — as retribution, they pulled McCain off Larry King tonight.

I don't know that I'm fair and biased :shifty: but she was clearly just trying to ask him a question. :banghead:

"retribution" =
tantrum.gif
?

Sure, but I don't understand what that has to do with anything.

firstly, it seems more appropriate to talk about the RNC in the RNC thread.

but in that thread i wrote a post specifically about McCain's POW experience, and then we get another sweeping conservative generalization that's inaccurate, and also offensive.

i was personally offended by MI's post, as if i'd mock the actual experience of being a POW -- which is entirely distinct from using the status of being a POW as both a reason in and of itself to be CIC and as a justification/explanation for everything in one's life.

these are distinctions that have been made, consistently, and at length, by the "Obama supporters" who've called out McCain using his POW status to talk about his 7 houses. and still, we get these histrionics.

it's frustrating and, yes, offensive.

Laughable.

Exactly what experience does qualify someone for president? Because the life experiences of these folks, to me, seem the most important of all. It's who they are, and bears GREAT, GREAT influence on their decisions related to such matters as... let's say...

war.

i'll say it again. being a POW in and of itself is not a qualification for being president.

I frankly am one of those conservatives that is sick and tired of it... every time I turn on the TV. I don't know what democratic punk pundit they had on CNN tonight before the convention, but he was like... "this is a story that won't go away".

Such BS.

I'm anything but a "Conservative" or "Republican" although on the issue of abortion I am pro-choice-but...meaning I don't think they should overturn Roe v Wade BUT at the same time all sides should always ENCOURAGE ADOPTION OVER ABORTION...Having said that, I'm anything but conservative or Republican and this stuff is starting to really bug me...what I mean is if I'm feeling towards this woman then how many folks in middle America are??? This quite possibly could tear the Democrats apart. The only sane Democrat seems to be Obama himself.:huh:

Laughable.

war.

Certainly not being in a war. What experience qualifies someone to be president, the biggest and most powerful job in our government? Oh, I don't know, maybe actually having served in government? If being in a war makes one qualifed to be president, than my grandfather and my great uncles should've been nominated years ago. They all served our country heroically, and 2 of my uncles even went blind during World War II, and they were all injured, though not severely, in some capacity. I wouldn't want any of them being president. Having fought in a war certainly doesn't mean you're capable of running one, or running the country. By your logic, no one should ever bother to run unless they've served in the military. That's absolutely ludicrous. Franklin Roosevelt never joined the military. He is one of our best presidents and was an excellent Commander in Chief of our troops during World War II. Ulysses S. Grant was a general during the Civil War and was one of our worst presidents. One has nothing to do with the other.

If being in a war makes one qualifed to be president, than my grandfather and my great uncles should've been nominated years ago.

We're coming from two far corners of the universe U2isbest. I don't understand why you keep saying this. I'm talking about experience, as in what you learn from it, and apply to your life. If you don't get that... then I hope you never have to hire anyone.

:reject:

How many conservatives to do we have in FYM? 8?:wave:

I'd probably be considered "centrist," except being gay and secular automatically means "far left" in U.S. politics. My Canadian friends already view me as "center right," at the very least, if not "conservative" by their standards, although that isn't very empirical frankly.

Guaranteed, though, if the GOP stopped being so downright bigoted and anti-intellectual, I think there would be more gay Republicans. As it stands, though, I really don't have any serious options outside of the Democratic Party, and so it doesn't do me any good to even contemplate voting Republican. I'm generally scared of most Republican elected officials, although, frankly, most of the "Blue Dog" Democrats are equally frightening to me.

This quite possibly could tear the Democrats apart. The only sane Democrat seems to be Obama himself.:huh:

What are you talking about? What is going to tear the Dems apart? You keep rattling off, but you aren't making sense or addressing the issues that people are bringing up...

I really don't have any serious options outside of the Democratic Party, and so it doesn't do me any good to even contemplate voting Republican. I'm generally scared of most Republican elected officials, frankly.

i agree. i see myself as more progressive than liberal.

i think Obama is intensely gifted and could do great things.

i think the Republican Party, in 2008, is a freak show religious circus that has no space for serious people.

We're coming from two far corners of the universe U2isbest. I don't understand why you keep saying this. I'm talking about experience, as in what you learn from it, and apply to your life. If you don't get that... then I hope you never have to hire anyone.

:reject:

How does having experience fighting in a war qualify one to be president? Presidents, while technically "head" of the military, aren't involved in day-to-day operations of troops. Military experts from the Pentagon on down are in charge of that. Serving in a war doesn't mean one is well-versed in the politics, culture, history, etc. of all the countries of the world. It doesn't mean one understands the issues and challenges facing the domestic situations at home such as the economy, education, civil rights, health care, social security, the energy and environmental crises, foreign policy in all capacities, national security, immigration, poverty or any of the other numerous areas our president has to be able to make policy and decisions for. I know many people who fought in a war who wouldn't have the first clue on addressing any of these issues. Fighting in a war has nothing to do with one's ability to govern.

i agree. i see myself as more progressive than liberal.

i think Obama is intensely gifted and could do great things.

i think the Republican Party, in 2008, is a freak show religious circus that has no space for serious people.

We've come a long way since 2000! We've executed some of the religious circus show types. I say we'll be a healed party by 2012!

;)

Whether Irvine/Melon like McCain or not, he's definitely a step in the right direction for the GOP when it comes to the gay community. I'm guessing, 4/8 years, that will be behind us.

What are you talking about? What is going to tear the Dems apart? You keep rattling off, but you aren't making sense or addressing the issues that people are bringing up...

Sorry pal, it's obviously you that haven't been reading properly. What's going to tear the Dems apart is this constant nagging and bickering about Palin and her daughters prenancy - this is hypocritical in exactly the same way if the page was turned and it was Obama's daughter the Republican's would have a field day with it - having said that, what I'm getting from watching many Democrats bickering on news talk shows is that the majority of folks watching are going to be turned off the Democrats because of this. They are going to side with the underdog (Palin) and fight the bullly (The Democrats)...maybe McCain is smarter than everyone thinks and knew this is exactly what would happen. Or maybe not. But I'm really beginning to wonder from the majority of reactions from the "left" on such a non-issue as some teen girl getting knocked up. Let it go already. Before it bites you where it hurts.

U2isbest,

I can't argue with you. You don't know shit about the day to day ops of the President, or fighting 2 wars, or anything else that our current administration does right now. I can't believe I'm being so mean here -- but I simply need to call a stop.

Stop.

Now, I will back away as politely and apologetic as I can and go to bed. ;) I'm sorry for being such an ass, but I don't have the phalangal dexterity or heart to carry this on with you. Check back in about 20 years... and we can probably talk this through.:|

U2isbest,

I can't argue with you. You don't know shit about the day to day ops of the President, or fighting 2 wars, or anything else that our current administration does right now. I can't believe I'm being so mean here -- but I simply need to call a stop.

Stop.

Now, I will back away as politely and apologetic as I can and go to bed. ;) I'm sorry for being such an ass, but I don't have the phalangal dexterity or heart to carry this on with you. Check back in about 20 years... and we can probably talk this through.:|

Completely inappropriate. How dare you insinuate that I don't know what I'm talking about because of my age, or because I don't agree with your, or whatever. Your condescending attitude and apparent belief that you're always right is what is preventing a debate from taking place.

Sorry pal, it's obviously you that haven't been reading properly. What's going to tear the Dems apart is this constant nagging and bickering about Palin and her daughters prenancy - this is hypocritical in exactly the same way if the page was turned and it was Obama's daughter the Republican's would have a field day with it - having said that, what I'm getting from watching many Democrats bickering on news talk shows is that the majority of folks watching are going to be turned off the Democrats because of this. They are going to side with the underdog (Palin) and fight the bullly (The Democrats)...maybe McCain is smarter than everyone thinks and knew this is exactly what would happen. Or maybe not. But I'm really beginning to wonder from the majority of reactions from the "left" on such a non-issue as some teen girl getting knocked up. Let it go already. Before it bites you where it hurts.

You're right. It's going to backfire BIGTIME. Liberals would be smart to drop it NOW, but of course, they won't.

That I know for sure, that I am not always right. How old are you?

And lastly, I don't believe you do know the day to day ops of the president, and what makes someone qualified or not. It's my opinion, based on your posts.

You're right. It's going to backfire BIGTIME. Liberals would be smart to drop it NOW, but of course, they won't.

we'll see.

my guess is that Palin is going to step down before the end of the week.

but it's not the Dems who need to "drop it" -- what keeps it going is the increasingly bizarre justifications the Reps are giving us for her selection.

my guess is that Palin is going to step down before the end of the week.

I've encountered that rumor/prediction a couple times today on various sites. Unfortunately, I think it is certainly possible, and I wouldn't toss that guess aside too quickly. :no:

And lastly, I don't believe you do know the day to day ops of the president, and what makes someone qualified or not. It's my opinion, based on your posts.

No. Your problem is that I disagree with you, therfore, I must be an idiot. I have nothing to prove to you. If you can't handle differing of opinions, I suggest you no longer try to debate and discuss them.

How does having experience fighting in a war qualify one to be president? Presidents, while technically "head" of the military, aren't involved in day-to-day operations of troops. Military experts from the Pentagon on down are in charge of that. Serving in a war doesn't mean one is well-versed in the politics, culture, history, etc. of all the countries of the world. It doesn't mean one understands the issues and challenges facing the domestic situations at home such as the economy, education, civil rights, health care, social security, the energy and environmental crises, foreign policy in all capacities, national security, immigration, poverty or any of the other numerous areas our president has to be able to make policy and decisions for. I know many people who fought in a war who wouldn't have the first clue on addressing any of these issues. Fighting in a war has nothing to do with one's ability to govern.

I'm pretty sure that MadelynIris feels the experience of fighting in a war is beneficial in addition to other experience (in John McCain's case, 25 years being a member of the US Congress), not that military experience alone makes a candidate qualified to be president.

McCain IS qualified to be president -- I seriously question the intellectual capabilities of anyone who says he isn't. Personally I don't like McCain's stances on many issues, nor do I like the Republican Party's platform, so I won't be voting for him, but I won't deny he is qualified to be president.

I can't argue with you. You don't know shit about the day to day ops of the President, or fighting 2 wars, or anything else that our current administration does right now.
Please stop being so condescending. I understand that the two of you are coming at this from totally different perspectives, but she was obviously not looking to personally insult you.

I've encountered that rumor/prediction a couple times today on various sites. Unfortunately, I think it is certainly possible, and I wouldn't toss that guess aside too quickly. :no:

it could also not happen. we'll see.

it's been a very interesting 72 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom