Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-I was just thinking the other day that I've never even met anyone from Alaska, nor known anyone who's lived there. Sometimes an insider's perspective, partisanship notwithstanding, can be invaluable in making sense of some political phenomenon or person in the context of the political subculture that produced them. Especially when it's as remote a place as Alaska.

A co-worker's brother used to live in Alaska. She told me Friday that after Palin took over as governor, everything went Republican and he left the state. Another co-worker's daughter still lives there. I'm sure my co-worker will have something to say today. :yes:

if palin was an already known public figure the majority of these things would be no big deal. the fact that we don't know who she is is why all the so called red flags are now such a big deal. there are certainly tons of red flags in biden, obama and mccain's past history but they are all already known by the public. last week the democrats hailed a guy who drunkenly drove off a bridge and killed a woman as a hero. this week we're picking through a teenager's myspace page and blasting someone because her daughter got pregers. this woman is an unknown, so all her skeletons are "shocking." to blast her for her lack of experience and her stance on the issues is one thing... to give her hell because of the relatively tame red marks she has on her record is utterly ridiculous.

Nothing he said really surprises me - he's a 17 year-old-guy, I'm sure he's not the only one with these views.

That said, I can't figure out how any thinking person could conclude that the best thing to do is to have this boy committed to marriage. He's sure mature enough for it!

And John McCain's judgment is pathetic with respect to Palin.

This was my earlier point...although not stated so well.

I do not understand the point of directing them to marriage. marriage is not going to make things better for these two TEENAGERS. Will it make things better in the eyes of voters? Possibly.

Gay marriage is bad, but making two teens get married because they are pregnant is OK? Makes perfect sense.

God Bless America.

I blame Harry Vest for this whole mess.

It's quite obvious that McCain's people scour Interference for campaign ideas (especially HV's FYM threads, because -- as everyone knows -- Harry Vest has his finger on the pulse of the typical US voter) and when they saw this thread it suddenly dawned on them: "Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!!" So he did.

Damn you, Harry. It's all your fault! :angry:

I blame Harry Vest for this whole mess.

It's quite obvious that McCain's people scour Interference for campaign ideas (especially HV's FYM threads, because -- as everyone knows -- Harry Vest has his finger on the pulse of the typical US voter) and when they saw this thread it suddenly dawned on them: "Oh My God...McCain could win if he picks Palin!!!" So he did.

Damn you, Harry. It's all your fault! :angry:

:lmao:

if palin was an already known public figure the majority of these things would be no big deal. the fact that we don't know who she is is why all the so called red flags are now such a big deal. there are certainly tons of red flags in biden, obama and mccain's past history but they are all already known by the public.

That's true. Should the Obama pastor crap have happened in September or October, it could've been crushing. Now, it's mostly forgotten by everyone except those who probably wouldn't have voted for him anyway. The fact that little things like these are perceived as big deals simply because Palin is a new face is perhaps yet another example of why she was such a poor choice. Had he announced her as his choice in, say, June, there would have been plenty of time for it all to have blown over by Election Day. Now, she has two months---and during all of that time, the investigation will be going on, and I'm sure a few more skeletons will come out, as well. Far too close to the big day to bring in somebody who's got a fresh history for mining.

Like I said----Just wait until the pre-Miss Wasilla nude pictures come out.

1. I watched one of the major news networks last night and it gave this statistic.

30% of girls under the age of 20 become pregnant.

again, the Bristol Palin and Obama's mama stories are unremarkable, that is why people that are not supporting Obama have not tried to exploit the fact that his mom got pregnant when she was 17 and unmarried.

At the DNC speech, Obama described it as a "brief encounter" :huh:

2. as for the vetting

McCain: Palin Vetting Was "Thorough"

By Robert Barnes

PHILADELPHIA -- John McCain's campaign has worked aggressively to shoot down questions about whether it adequately investigated the background of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin before he selected her as his running mate.

Today, McCain himself weighed in, albeit briefly.

"The vetting process was completely thorough and I'm grateful for the results," John McCain said during a campaign stop this morning at Engine Company 56 of the Philadephia Fire Department.

His aides have said nothing has emerged in news reports about Palin that McCain and the campaign did not know before selecting her, including that her 17-year-old daughter Bristol was pregnant.

3. and as for everyone that says, I just feel sorry, for that poor girl, Bristol.

get real

she lives in a small town,
and every news report I have read said everybody in that small town knew about her situation

Oh well if McCain says he vetted, it must be true!

Give me a break.

so, reading through some postings and blogs and op-eds, a few strange thoughts.

1. could this be some kind of weird judo move by McCain? like, he says to the Republicans and especially the base, "is this what you want? because i just gave it to you. what? are you saying she's unqualified? but, my goodness, she's pro-life, an evangelical, loves guns and hates taxes. and you've stated that this is the heart of the GOP. i just gave you the VP of your dreams. and everyone's now saying, 'wait a minute here ...' fine. then give me the VP i actually want (Lieberman) when she removes herself from the race this week. now STFU and let me do what i want."

2. he knew all this would happen, and gets a perverse joy watching the base of his party come up with wackado justifications of her experience -- Alaska is next to Russia! she was in charge of the Alaska National Guard! -- and smile when they say it, fully aware of how difficult this would be. perhaps McCain has seen the internal numbers, he knows that the Barackolypse is coming, and is saying "fuck off" to the Republican base.

3. he really did just sell out and fought as hard as he could for Lieberman and this is karma.

either way, some blogs are pointing to the sobering and sad reality that we might have a McCain/Romney ticket before too long. especially given the recent polling, which is all the campaigns care about anyway.

1. could this be some kind of weird judo move by McCain? ........ then give me the VP i actually want (Lieberman) when she removes herself from the race this week. now STFU and let me do what i want."

3. he really did just sell out and fought as hard as he could for Lieberman and this is karma.

It's either Option 1, which could hurt him in a way by showing that he did a shitty job with Palin & has poor judgement.....or it's Option 3, which shows that he lets his advisors control him and make his decisions. Either way, if one were to really break it down, the whole situation makes McCain look like an idiot. :up:

Oh well if McCain says he vetted, it must be true!

Give me a break.

The two big (leftie blog) controversies

1. Bristol preggers

2. trooper gate

I do believe were known by the McCain camp. :shrug:

now, if we get some naked :sexywink: pictures
that will be something

being that she is 3 years, younger than Obama, she did admit she inhaled, unlike Bill Clinton

But, I guess she did not commit a felony and use cocaine like the Constitutional Law professor.

so, reading through some postings and blogs and op-eds, a few strange thoughts.

1. could this be some kind of weird judo move by McCain? like, he says to the Republicans and especially the base, "is this what you want? because i just gave it to you. what? are you saying she's unqualified? but, my goodness, she's pro-life, an evangelical, loves guns and hates taxes. and you've stated that this is the heart of the GOP. i just gave you the VP of your dreams. and everyone's now saying, 'wait a minute here ...' fine. then give me the VP i actually want (Lieberman) when she removes herself from the race this week. now STFU and let me do what i want."

I just heard that from an Obama supporter 15 minutes ago

That Palin is a Harriet Miers, preparing the way for Alito (Lieberman)

This just not pass the logic test.

Lieberman, loses more than he adds.

I just heard that from an Obama supporter 15 minutes ago

That Palin is a Harriet Miers, preparing the way for Alito (Lieberman)

This just not pass the logic test.

Lieberman, loses more than he adds.

I think that's silly too.

I think she very well could be Miers (although the right doesn't hate her), but not as a placeholder for Lieberman.

So, do you guys think Palin either being removed or removing herself from the ticket is a real possibility? I mean...unless Palin was in on it from the beginning, that doesn't seem real fair to her...as unqualified as she is, on a human level, it doesn't seem fair to use her like that without her knowledge, getting her all excited, letting the world in on her daughter's pregnancy, etc, and then taking the job away from her, thus causing her disappointment and making her daughter's insertion into the headlines for nothing...if indeed it was without her knowledge.

But, I guess she did not commit a felony and use cocaine like the Constitutional Law professor.

you're looking sillier than Mrs. McCain talking about the critical foreign policy lessons learned when one lives in a state that's close to Russia.

but perhaps you're in on the meta joke as well?

it's so hard to tell anymore.

On the one hand, I think they are pushing and spinning too hard on the networks to actually get rid of her now.

On the other, I wonder how many days until she has to go "spend time with her family."

I don't think it is likely, but it wouldn't shock me if it happened.

I think that's silly too.

I think she very well could be Miers (although the right doesn't hate her), but not as a placeholder for Lieberman.

agreed.

i mean, i think W seriously thought that Miers would make a "fabulous" SCOTUS nominee, because, well, after all, he did "know her heart."

i do think McCain isn't as simplistic and sentimental and gullible as W is, so maybe he saw the Miers thing as some sort of template?

or maybe i'm giving him too much credit?

So, do you guys think Palin either being removed or removing herself from the ticket is a real possibility? I mean...unless Palin was in on it from the beginning, that doesn't seem real fair to her...as unqualified as she is, on a human level, it doesn't seem fair to use her like that without her knowledge, getting her all excited, letting the world in on her daughter's pregnancy, etc, and then taking the job away from her, thus causing her disappointment and making her daughter's insertion into the headlines for nothing...if indeed it was without her knowledge.

Republicans have always been known for their compassion.

The more I hear about the Harriet Miers parallels, the more I can see it. Bush said he thought it was important to bring in someone "from outside the judicial system", in his words, which of course is the perfect move when nominating a Supreme Court Justice.:doh: If he really did bring her in purely as a ploy, so he could stir shit up, and then bring in Romney, Ridge, Lieberman, or whomever, it'll backfire on him worse than this did. Do you really think moderate and independent voters, many of whom are still undecided, are going to go for a guy who nominates a VP this unqualified, after claiming to have fully vetted her, then dumps her and goes for someone else? That would look so hypocritical and unprofessional to most voters. If he feels he made the wrong choice, that's too bad for him. He made his bed, let him lie in it.

Sarah is no Harriet Miers.

1903451448_635a36aed2_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom