Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #741
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




but isn't that the problem? there's no there there!

he doesn't stand for anything other than the empty Regan figurehead into which the RNC and political consultants will pour positions that will make him appear appealing and electable.

he'll remain an actor. through and through.
Fine. Let him announce/debate and if he's a vapid Reagan shrill than he'll crash and burn and I'll admit I'm wrong.
__________________

MaxFisher is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #742
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 06:14 PM
Thompson is DOA. You may hope he makes something of himself, but the guy, for all his celebrity, is pathetic at raising money. He stands for nothing and looks like an unenergized, old windbag on TV. He'll end up being McCain Part Deux and Giuliani will probably weasel through. Now there's someone whose authoritarian style scares the shit out of me.
__________________

anitram is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #743
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 06:14 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MaxFisher
Quote:

That's because these candidates have announced and have been debating. Give Thompson a chance to get out there and he'll communicate what he stands for.


he had a whole tenure in the Senate! what more do you need in order to create some sort of political ideology and principles?
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #744
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher


I'm a Christian and so are a few of my friends. We'll all support Thompson if he gets the nomination.
Christian doesn't always = Christian right. That's something many on this board need to figure out.

That being said, Thompson already got a publicized questioning of credibility by James Dobson. Not good if you want the Christian right vote. But the christian right isn't Thompson's problem(I was speaking of other canidates when I made that statement) his problems goes far beyond that. His problem is more with the "real" Republicans not the neo-cons. His part in watergate, the fact that he's still trying to be a serious actor and not distancing himself(like other actors before him), and his well publicized laziness are just a few of his hurdles.
BVS is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #745
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




he had a whole tenure in the Senate! what more do you need in order to create some sort of political ideology and principles?
A cursory view of his votes shows he was for lower taxes, pro-life, pro-gun, voted for the war, he's strong on national security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic..._Fred_Thompson
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #746
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 06:14 PM
if Fred becomes the nominee, i can't wait to see the Christian Right struggle to find a way to embrace all those "Hollywood Values."
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 PM   #747
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher


A cursory view of his votes shows he was for lower taxes, pro-life, pro-gun, voted for the war, he's strong on national security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic..._Fred_Thompson


this tells me he was a Republican Senator.

there are 50 of them, and most aren't running for president.

what has he done? what foreign experience does he have?
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #748
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 06:14 PM
but, seriously MF, why would you vote for Fred over the other Republican candidates?
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #749
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Christian doesn't always = Christian right. That's something many on this board need to figure out.

That being said, Thompson already got a publicized questioning of credibility by James Dobson. Not good if you want the Christian right vote. But the christian right isn't Thompson's problem(I was speaking of other canidates when I made that statement) his problems goes far beyond that. His problem is more with the "real" Republicans not the neo-cons. His part in watergate, the fact that he's still trying to be a serious actor and not distancing himself(like other actors before him), and his well publicized laziness are just a few of his hurdles.
In May he asked Law and Order to release him of his acting responsibilities. He's not trying to be a serious actor.

In what way are "real" Republicans his problem?
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #750
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher


In May he asked Law and Order to release him of his acting responsibilities. He's not trying to be a serious actor.

In what way are "real" Republicans his problem?
But he hasn't said anything about leaving acting, in fact there is talk that he has roles lined up. Others have taken a hard stance that they will not act again, or at least until they are out of office. He's still holding on for a back up plan(which he should).

I listed his problems.
BVS is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #751
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


But he hasn't said anything about leaving acting, in fact there is talk that he has roles lined up. Others have taken a hard stance that they will not act again, or at least until they are out of office. He's still holding on for a back up plan(which he should).

I listed his problems.
Imdb.com shows he has no upcoming acting roles.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000669/

Arnold didn't vow to give up acting and he won.
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #752
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




this tells me he was a Republican Senator.

there are 50 of them, and most aren't running for president.

what has he done? what foreign experience does he have?
What more did he have to do except establish himself as a solid Republican?

What foreign experience do Hillary or Obama have? Romney or Rudy?
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #753
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher


Arnold didn't vow to give up acting and he won.
Arnold did make a big statement that he would give acting during his term, in fact he turned down some "big roles" according to his statement.
BVS is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:45 PM   #754
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher


What more did he have to do except establish himself as a solid Republican?

If that's all it takes for you, then by all means vote for him. I would hope it takes more for a president, but given the general voting populace I know it's hard to ask for more.
BVS is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #755
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


If that's all it takes for you, then by all means vote for him. I would hope it takes more for a president, but given the general voting populace I know it's hard to ask for more.
:



Every candidate, Dem and Rep at this point is toeing their party line and appealing to their base. The next year of campaigning will show who has "it" and who doesn't.
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #756
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher
:



Every candidate, Dem and Rep at this point is toeing their party line and appealing to their base. The next year of campaigning will show who has "it" and who doesn't.
No my point is that some of these canidates have actually tried introducing legislature making changes, but not him...

Sorry you can't see that.
BVS is offline  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:18 PM   #757
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,395
Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher


What more did he have to do except establish himself as a solid Republican?

What foreign experience do Hillary or Obama have? Romney or Rudy?


well, Richardson has it in droves, but Hillary is on the Armed Services Committee

i do agree, though, "experience" isn't as important as good judgement and good advisors, something Bush lacks in droves. and it seems to me that Fred has about as much curiosity about the world as Bush, which is to say none. and i'd contrast this to Obama, who does strike me as the most thoughtful of all the candidates, almost too professorial.

also, none of the Dems are running as far left as all the Reps are running to the right. you haven't seen a single Dem backtrack on a previously held position -- with the big exception being the 2002 vote on the Iraq war -- in the way that Rudy, Mitt, and Fred are claiming that they were actually pro-life before they were pro-choice and are now pro-life again.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 PM   #758
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher


I'm a Christian and so are a few of my friends. We'll all support Thompson if he gets the nomination.
Do you people ever actually think? You just said you'll support him, right after you said you don't know what he stands for as a presidential candidate.
martha is offline  
Old 08-31-2007, 08:07 AM   #759
War Child
 
MaxFisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 776
Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha


Do you people ever actually think? You just said you'll support him, right after you said you don't know what he stands for as a presidential candidate.
I posted a link that clearly shows he is a solid Republican. Since he hasn't announced yet, sure, I don't have a complete understanding of his platform. But I have no reason to believe it won't be in accordance with his voting record as a Senator.

"You people"-- I'd like to see the FYM reaction to gays or minorities being refered to this way.
MaxFisher is offline  
Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 AM   #760
Blue Crack Supplier
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,555
Local Time: 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxFisher


I posted a link that clearly shows he is a solid Republican. Since he hasn't announced yet, sure, I don't have a complete understanding of his platform. But I have no reason to believe it won't be in accordance with his voting record as a Senator.

"You people"-- I'd like to see the FYM reaction to gays or minorities being refered to this way.
Perhaps "you people" was a bit strong. Perhaps. But I stand by the rest of what I said. Fred has no plans, no recommendations or solutions or proposals. He's only got his Bible so far.
__________________

martha is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×