Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrsSpringsteen said:
"After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this administration's pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such tragedy from happening again. I don't oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism.

What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne...

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of Al Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars," - Barack Obama, October 2, 2002

Well said, Obama!

Wesley Clark endorses Hillary

Wesley Clark has announced his endorsement of Hillary Clinton. What do you think? I still think Hillary is too divisive. I'm still supporting Edwards. I think he's more electable.

I think he's looking for a VP position. And I think he's a reasonably good bet.

I'm beginning to think Fred Thompson is actually stupid. First there was the whole "I don't remember the Schiavo case well enough to comment" idiocy. I guess he's run out of a platform so he's embracing the tried and true, let's bash Hillary Clinton for something stupid that I myself said. Hilarious!

MIAMI - Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson blamed Democratic rival Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday for the publicity surrounding his remark suggesting Cuban immigrants are bringing suitcase bombs to the United States.

When asked by Florida's WTVJ about the perception in the Cuban-American community about his comments, Thompson replied, "I think that was a Hillary Clinton news release that she put out or a statement that she made trying to capitalize on something when she knew better."

During a trip to South Carolina in June, Thompson was talking about illegal immigration from Cuba and elsewhere and said, "I don't imagine they're coming here to bring greetings from Castro. We're living in the era of the suitcase bomb."

DES MOINES, Iowa (CNN) -- Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton announced a $110 billion health care reform plan Monday that would require all Americans to have health insurance.

Clinton unveiled her plan during a high-profile speech at a hospital in the key campaign state of Iowa, surrounded by supporters, American flags and campaign banners.

"Here in America people are dying because they couldn't get the care they needed when they were sick."

"I'm here today because I believe it is long past time that this nation had an answer," Clinton said. "I believe America is ready for change."

"It's time to provide quality affordable health care for every American," Clinton said. "And I intend to be the president who accomplishes that goal finally for our country."

Under the plan, federal subsidies would be provided for those who are not able to afford insurance, and large businesses would be required to provide or help pay for their employees' insurance.

Clinton said her plan would not require small businesses to take part, but will offer tax credits to encourage them to do so.

About 46.6 million people in the United States were without health care insurance in 2005, including 8.3 million children, according to a U.S. Census Bureau report released last year.

"I know my Republican opponents will try to equate this plan with government-run health care. Well don't let them fool you again," Clinton said, explaining that her plan would allow participants to "keep the doctors you know and trust" while it would expand "personal choice" and keep costs down.

Clinton's package would also require insurers to provide coverage for anyone who applies for it and would also bar insurance companies from charging people with greater health care costs more for their premiums.

As first lady in 1993 and 1994, Clinton spearheaded an effort that would have overhauled the provision of health care. Critics compared her plan to socialized medicine, and it was killed by opposition from special-interest groups -- including doctors and pharmaceutical companies.

Clinton's Democratic rival, Sen. Chris Dodd of Connecticut, used her past attempts at health care reform in criticizing Clinton's proposal.

"The mismanagement of the effort in 1993 and 1994 has set back our ability to move toward universal health care immeasurably," Dodd said in a statement. "We've known what the problems have been for nearly 15 years and what the solutions could be. What's been missing is leadership that knows how to bring people together and get the job done."

The campaign of fellow Democrat John Edwards, which has already put out a detailed a health care plan, will up the ante Monday during a speech to the Laborers' International Union of North America in Chicago, Illinois, campaign sources said.

The Edwards proposal would cut off health care for the president, Congress and all political appointees in mid 2009, if a universal health care plan for all Americans has not been passed by then.

Edwards is expected to outline "basic principles" the health care plan would have to meet, the sources said.

square-large-redefeat.gif

I know,
and true lefties really don't like her

that picture just made me laugh

some conservatives are such simpletons

Last edited:
capt.d14c2487810f4f9a8d8dc123ae15692e.clinton_2008_democrats_labor_dcgh123.jpg

She said she could envision a day when "you have to show proof to your employer that you're insured as a part of the job interview — like when your kid goes to school and has to show proof of vaccination," but said such details would be worked out through negotiations with Congress.

This would be a huge windfall for the insurance companies

I would not be surprised if she got support from them.

deep said:
This would be a huge windfall for the insurance companies

I would not be surprised if she got support from them.

and now Bush

is getting on board?

Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said President Bush wants to achieve universal health care before he leaves office.

Leavitt told the USA TODAY editorial board that Bush will veto a Democratic plan emerging from Congress that would add $35 billion in taxpayer subsidies to the Children's Health Insurance Program over five years. In doing so, Leavitt said, Bush will urge Congress to join him in seeking coverage for all Americans.

"He'd like to see the larger debate begin," Leavitt said. "The very best opportunity we have may well be in the next 15 months."

not really

Hillary 93 was about reforming/changing health care from for profit to
single payer

the Insurance companies went nuts

and killed it

this time she is
for Insurance Companies
as are Romney and Bush

Moore pointed out that Insurance Companies goal is to maximize profits

The G.O.P.’s Candidate-Free Debate

In the category of What Are They Thinking?: all the principal Republican presidential candidates have decided to skip a major televised debate next week on minority issues. The absentees will be noted by nameplates at empty lecterns, and some party leaders warn that the perceived disrespect will prove costly at the polls.

Ken Mehlman, former chairman of the Republican National Committee, is urging the candidates to reconsider their rejection of the debate on the PBS network and “lay out their vision,” according to The Washington Post. Jack Kemp, the party’s 1996 vice presidential candidate, is more blunt in his dismay: “What are we going to do, meet in a country club in the suburbs one day?”

The candidates insist that their absence next Thursday is dictated by scheduling conflicts. But it’s important to note that the invitation to the debate at Morgan State University in Baltimore was sent out in February. “Baloney,” said Newt Gingrich of the scheduling excuse, warning of the “enormous error” in ducking the event. The Democrats’ comparable debate at Howard University in June was attended by all the major contenders.

Hillary Clinton officially declared she's not a lesbian - not that there's anything wrong with that.

During an interview with The Advocate to be published next week, Sean Kennedy, the gay magazine's news and features editor, asked the presidential candidate, "How do you respond to the occasional rumor that you're a lesbian?"

"People say a lot of things about me, so I really don't pay any attention to it," Sen. Clinton (D-N.Y.) replied.

"It's not true, but it is something that I have no control over. People will say what they want to say."

Kennedy told the Daily News he's convinced. "I 100% believe she's a straight, heterosexual woman," he said.

Well so many of those "uppity, assertive, calculating" types must be lesbians I suppose. Cause they just don't know how to cowtow to men. Oh well, at least she's still a shrew.

And that was sarcasm based upon some of the ideas that have been expressed in FYM, lest anyone think differently.

Last edited:
WASHINGTON — A homeland security adviser to Rudy Giuliani came under fire Thursday for claiming there were "too many mosques" in the United States _ and defended himself by saying his point was that not enough Muslim leaders cooperate with law enforcement.

Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., the former chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee and the top GOP member on the panel, said his comments to the Politico Web site were taken out of context. Democrats said Giuliani should drop him as a campaign adviser.

"I stand by everything I said other than the fact that the Politico totally took it out of context," King said Thursday.

In the Politico interview, King said: "Unfortunately we have too many mosques in this country, there's too many people who are sympathetic to radical Islam. We should be looking at them more carefully, we should be finding out how we can infiltrate, we should be much more aggressive in law enforcement."

After King complained, Politico posted video of the entire interview.

Giuliani, speaking to reporters Thursday in Northern Virginia, chuckled at the suggestion he dump King as an adviser.

"I've known Pete for 41 years, so I'm not about to do that," Giuliani said. "I know exactly what Pete meant. I knew before I even heard the clarification. What he means was that there are mosques in which violence is preached. I know that from my own investigations of Islamic terrorism. I also know that there are many mosques in which it isn't."

As for any political fallout, King told The Associated Press: "Rudy can take care of himself. He's a tough guy, but I would think that campaigns would respect someone like myself who says things that might be politically incorrect but are accurate in that too many Muslim leaders in this country do not denounce extremism."

The congressman was denounced by the DC-based Council on American-Islamic Relations, a group that has long accused King of lobbing unfair attacks against American Muslims.

"We call on Republican leaders and other people of conscience to repudiate Representative King's bigoted remarks and to support the civil and religious rights of all Americans," said CAIR official Corey Saylor.

Both the Muslim group and the Democratic party called on Giuliani to drop King from the campaign. Giuliani spokeswomen did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Democratic party spokeswoman Stacie Paxton called on King to apologize and urged Giuliani to drop King as his homeland security adviser, saying "this type of bigoted language has no place in public discourse."

King said his point was not that there were too many mosques in the United States, but that too many of those mosques do not cooperate with law enforcement _ a claim he made in 2003 and 2004 which also prompted criticism.

"I know of any number of mosques in New York that are under surveillance by law enforcement because they have suspicious links, at the very least radical links, that are inappropriate," he said.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Oh well, at least she's still a shrew.

Not a shrew, certainly not a Hilary Clinton and a real world leader.

When the Left have somebody of the same gender with a fraction of this leader's character and caliber, wake me up, otherwise trouble me no more concerning this matter.

thank you.

dbs

Attachments

• margaret.jpg
    margaret.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 46
diamond said:

When the Left have somebody of the same gender with a fraction of this leader's character and caliber, wake me up, otherwise trouble me no more concerning this matter.

How about you wake us up when you get a clue, stop using double standards and sexism, and actually adhere to the principals that you preach, this would be much easier for everyone here.

capt.b4f7e8d444504dc889b649d7624fbcd6.giuliani_2008_republicans_nra_dcgh121.jpg

"Let's see now, this is my wife calling, I think," Giuliani said, pulling his ringing cell phone from his jacket pocket.

"Hello, dear," he said, speaking into the microphone on the podium. "I'm talking to the members of the NRA right now. Would you like to say hello?"

The audience of about 500 gun owners at a downtown Washington hotel laughed a little as she appeared to decline.

He concluded the call with, "I love you. I'll call you as soon as I'm finished. Have a safe trip. Talk to you later. I love you."

Giuliani answered his wife's cell phone call several times for the photographers, as he has during other campaign appearances. It isn't planned, his campaign said.

"What you saw today was a candidate in a spontaneous moment on the campaign trail," Giuliani spokeswoman Maria Comella said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom