Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2861U2 said:

By making this political. Just because it doesn't include some references to the war in Iraq, he nays it.

"six resolution paragraphs establishing Sept. 11 as a day of remembrance, extending sympathies to families of victims who died and honoring those who have fought in Afghanistan and Iraq."

He can't even support that. That is a slap in the face to the families of 9/11 victims and the families of soldiers.

He has to make it political.

no.

this is something your friends at fox news won't be telling you

Congressman Dennis Kucinich has just announced that he will begin holding new hearings into 9/11 beginning in September because "the Commission Final Report... never resolved certain conflicts." '9/11 PRESS FOR TRUTH' details those conflicts like no other movie has, featuring five members of the 9/11 Family Steering Committee (the small group of victim's relatives who forced the creation of the 9/11 Commission), who reveal for the first time in the movie that "70% of our questions" were not answered by the Final Report.

he is the only one who is not slapping the victims in the face. he is the only one who is trying to push this investigation forward to get them the answers they deserve.

martha said:

you adddress challenges in threads rather than ignore the hard ones.

:rolleyes:

Oh, excuse me for calling people out when they say stupid and/or just plain wrong statements. I don't care if they are "hyperbole."

2861U2 said:

Oh, excuse me for calling people out when they say stupid and/or just plain wrong statements. I don't care if they are "hyperbole."

Well, do you care to address the other statements made since your last one?

And by it being hypebole, it is not stupid or just plain wrong, it is a figure of speech. Most recognized here that he meant "2816 believes that Iraq was somehow involved in 9/11."

2861U2 said:

This is the second time you have tried to call me out on an attempt at humor, one that most others got. Humor can't be wrong or right, it can only be good or bad.

When I made this comment and when I made the Fox News will not call him a Democrat comment, those were attempts at humor. Most people got them because they understood the references I was making; which were you still equate 9/11 with Iraq, and Fox has called Republicans Democrats when there is scandal involved. Now these attempts may be funny or they may not be, that's up to you all, but you can't label them right or wrong. Are we clear?

Wait a minute. Are you guys saying that 9/11 and the war in Iraq are not related????? Didn't the President and his administration say that we are going into Iraq because they have ties to al-Qaeda???

Am I missing something here??? Surely, the President would know whether there is a connection with 9/11 or not wouldn't he???? And he certainly wouldn't lie about it right?

But hey, even if Iraq doesn't have connections with 9/11, President Bush did a good thing by going in and taking those WMD's out of Saddam's control. :up:

Thompson Says He's No Churchgoer, Won't Tout Religion on Stump

Kim ChipmanTue Sep 11

Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Republican presidential contender Fred Thompson, who has based his campaign on appealing to conservative voters, said he isn't a regular churchgoer and doesn't plan to speak about his religion on the stump.

Thompson, in his first campaign stop in South Carolina, told a crowd of about 500 Republicans yesterday that he gained his values from ``sitting around the kitchen table'' with his parents and ``the good Church of Christ.''

Talking to reporters later, Thompson, a former Tennessee senator, said his church attendance ``varies.''

``I attend church when I'm in Tennessee. I'm in McLean right now,'' he said referring to the Virginia suburb of Washington, D.C., where he lives. ``I don't attend regularly when I'm up there.''

Thompson said he usually attends church when visiting his mother in Tennessee and isn't a member of any church in the Washington area.

Thompson's remarks may not play well with religious voters who represent a sizable segment of the Republican Party and whose support he has been courting, portraying himself as a ``common sense conservative.'' President George W. Bush received 78 percent of the evangelical Christian vote in 2004 while Democrat John Kerry got 21 percent of that vote, according to the Pew Research Center.

Talking About God

Thompson's comment about not speaking out about his personal religious beliefs prompted a question from the crowd on whether he would commit to talking about God nationwide, not just in a southern state such as South Carolina, where many people identify themselves as evangelical Christians.

``I know that I'm right with God and the people I love,'' he said in Greenville. It's ``just the way I am not to talk about some of these things.''

Thompson's churchgoing habits weren't a problem for at least one onlooker.

``As long as he was acclimated in some kind of church, involved in the church, that's very important,'' said Jamie Darnell, 27, of Greenville.

Asked by reporters later to clarify his stance on religion, Thompson said: ``Me getting up and talking about what a wonderful person I am and that sort of thing, I'm not comfortable with that, and I don't think it does me any good. People will make up their own mind about that, and that's the way I like it.'' :applaud:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Thompson, in his first campaign stop in South Carolina, told a crowd of about 500 Republicans yesterday that he gained his values from ``sitting around the kitchen table'' with his parents and ``the good Church of Christ.''

question for Republicans/conservatives:

does this stuff really fly with you? i mean, do you believe it? do you believe Fred? do you believe that you can take a boy out of Tennessee and have him go off and act in a bunch of movies and fuck a whole bunch of women and go to DC and be in the Senate and fuck a whole bunch of women and not do anything for 8 years but fuck a whole bunch of women and that he's still just a regular guy from Tennessee? do fuzzy homilies like these resonate with you? do you think homespun knowledge is better than what you might learn in a junior year political science seminar?

MrsSpringsteen said:

Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- Republican presidential contender Fred Thompson, who has based his campaign on appealing to conservative voters, said he isn't a regular churchgoer and doesn't plan to speak about his religion on the stump.

Besides being on Law & Order, this is the first thing I like about this man...

I said it last week, if this man get's the nom, he'll lose a big portion of the voters that made it possible for Bush to "win":)wink:).

Irvine511 said:

question for Republicans/conservatives:

does this stuff really fly with you? i mean, do you believe it? do you believe Fred? do you believe that you can take a boy out of Tennessee and have him go off and act in a bunch of movies and fuck a whole bunch of women and go to DC and be in the Senate and fuck a whole bunch of women and not do anything for 8 years but fuck a whole bunch of women and that he's still just a regular guy from Tennessee? do fuzzy homilies like these resonate with you? do you think homespun knowledge is better than what you might learn in a junior year political science seminar?

it worked for Clinton

MaxFisher said:

it worked for Clinton

erm, how?

other than he being a child from a broken marriage with an abusive alcoholic father and was pretty poor growing up but became the president of the united states and is the living embodiment that, yes, the meritocracy just might still be working?

but, see, beyond that, i don't care about that stuff, or being the son of a meeeelworker.

see, that seems legit. it's these "homespun" narratives that i find so weird.

Irvine511 said:

erm, how?

other than he being a child from a broken marriage with an abusive alcoholic father and was pretty poor growing up but became the president of the united states and is the living embodiment that, yes, the meritocracy just might still be working?

but, see, beyond that, i don't care about that stuff, or being the son of a meeeelworker.

see, that seems legit. it's these "homespun" narratives that i find so weird.

Here's the difference on why consevatives gravitate to Fred and not Bill.

Freddy has had a sorid past, made amends and corrected his life, now has a beautiful wife that adores him.
VS
Bill having a sorid past pre 1992 promising to correct it to the country and wife on 60 minutes and then getting busted again and again, along with other allegations and to this day he claims to be a victim.

Huge difference between the 2 men.

Lastly until you Irvine realize that neither Freddy or Mitt is running for Christian in Chief nor Mormon in Chief will you be able to reconcile this.

And based on your penchant for promiscuity I would encourge Memphis to keep you on a very short leash.

dbs

diamond said:
And based on your penchant for promiscuity I would encourge Memphis to keep you on a very short leash.
:| I don't care if this was a "joke," it's not appropriate at all.

diamond said:

Here's the difference on why consevatives gravitate to Fred and not Bill.

Freddy has had a sorid past, made amends and corrected his life, now has a beautiful wife that adores him.
VS
Bill having a sorid past pre 1992 promising to correct it to the country and wife on 60 minutes and then getting busted again and again, along with other allegations and to this day he claims to be a victim.

Huge difference between the 2 men.

Lastly until you Irvine realize that neither Freddy or Mitt is running for Christian in Chief nor Mormon in Chief will you be able to reconcile this.

dbs

firstly, DBS, you have no idea what we're talking about. i'm talking about "homespun" narratives, you're talking about sex lives.

secondly, i've been totally in your court about how the president's religion means bugger all to me. it's YOUR party, YOUR people, YOUR fellow Christians, who seem to think that matters, and who are holding it against YOUR boy Mitt.

as for promiscuity ... well, it takes one to know one, i suppose. :shrug:

"After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this administration's pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such tragedy from happening again. I don't oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism.

What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne...

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of Al Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars," - Barack Obama, October 2, 2002

MrsSpringsteen said:
What I am opposed to is a dumb war. What I am opposed to is a rash war. What I am opposed to is the cynical attempt by Richard Perle and Paul Wolfowitz and other armchair, weekend warriors in this administration to shove their own ideological agendas down our throats, irrespective of the costs in lives lost and in hardships borne...

I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of Al Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars," - Barack Obama, October 2, 2002

:up:

and this is what we radical Cindy Sheehan-leftist-marxist-revolutionary-Jane-Fonda-commandos have simply been saying since 2002.

MrsSpringsteen said:
"After September 11th, after witnessing the carnage and destruction, the dust and the tears, I supported this administration's pledge to hunt down and root out those who would slaughter innocents in the name of intolerance, and I would willingly take up arms myself to prevent such tragedy from happening again. I don't oppose all wars. And I know that in this crowd today, there is no shortage of patriots, or of patriotism.

What the hell was he thinking? Undetermined length, undetermined cost, undetermined consequences? Fanning the flames of the worst impulses of the Arab world?? Strengthen Al Qaeda recruitment??

Pssh. Like that would ever happen! :lol:

:|

Bill Richardson just issued this statement linking the New England Patriots spying scandal -- which cost the Pats a first-round draft pick and their coach a fine worth hundreds of thousands of dollars -- and President Bush.

"The President has been allowed to spy on Americans without a warrant, and our U.S. Senate is letting it continue," Richardson said. "You know something is wrong when the New England Patriots face stiffer penalties for spying on innocent Americans than Dick Cheney and George Bush."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom