Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
Look at this, some woman is claiming the Clintons or someone in their camp broke into her home and stole a manuscript of a negative book she was writing about them.

http://www.nbc12.com/newslettertest/9698922.html

Reeks of Marilyn Monroe's diary disappearing :eyebrow: The powerful will do what it takes to stay that way, this is why they should never be trusted.

Yes, or an unknown author needs some publicity for her next book.

Washington Post

A top adviser to former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney appears to be behind today's launch of a new Web site attacking GOP presidential rival Fred Thompson.

The site, www.phoneyfred.org, paints an unflattering picture of Thompson, dubbing him: Fancy Fred, Five O'clock Fred, Flip-Flop Fred, McCain Fred, Moron Fred, Playboy Fred, Pro-Choice Fred, Son-of-a-Fred and Trial Lawyer Fred.

Shortly after a Washington Post reporter made inquiries about the site to the Romney campaign, the site was taken down.

Before it vanished, the front page of the website featured a picture of a regal Thompson dressed in a frilly outfit more befitting a Gilbert and Sullivan production than a presidential campaign. Under the heading, "Playboy Fred," the site asks the question: "Once a Pro-Choice Skirt Chaser, Now Standard Bearer of the Religious Right?"

Nowhere on the site does it indicate who is responsible for it. But a series of inquiries leads directly to the website of Under the Power Lines, the political consulting firm of Warren Tompkins, Romney's lead consultant in South Carolina.

The website is hosted by a company called bluehost.com, a firm based in Orem, Utah. An inquiry of that website about phoneyfred.org returns the following statement: "Domain phoneyfred.org is still attached to your politicalnetroots.com account as Addon," the site states. "For security reasons, you must remove it BEFORE you can continue. After detaching phoneyfred.org from politicalnetroots.com, you should experience some brief downtime on phoneyfred.org while its DNS propagates to your new account."

The site www.politicalnetroots.com brings up the homepage for "Under the Power Lines," which lists Tompkins as "Partner, Consultant," along with Terry Sullivan and Welsley Donehue.

South Carolina politics is known to be rough-and-tumble. In 2000, it was in South Carolina that then-candidate John McCain ran into an organized effort to tar his character, including anonymous allegations that he had fathered a black child.

At the time, then-candidate George Bush was desperate to stop a surging McCain, who had just won a stunning upset in the New Hampshire primary. Tompkins was the chief strategist for Bush in South Carolina at the time, though Bush campaign officials have always denied that the campaign was responsible for the attacks.

A spokesman for Romney's campaign said he would look into questions about the anti-Thompson site. "Our campaign is focused on the issues and ideas that are of paramount concern to voters," said spokesman Kevin Madden. "The website we are focused on is MittRomney.com."

Tompkins did not return calls or emails for comment.

phoneyfred_screenshot.jpg

I think it's almost time for Mitt to pull out, you see at the end of the day, I'm a pramatic polictical realist
He hasn't got any real traction, and it's too bad if one of his staffers did this and/or if Mitt sanctioned this, I hope that isn't true.

He should save his money, bow out and throw his support probably behind Fred and hopefully unite the GOP behind the larger threat.

btw-the link to phonyfred is dead, on my comp anyway.
dbs

What about his statement do you disagree with? That Iraq and Sept 11th terrorist attacks are not connected? That is the point he is trying to make here. Unlike everyone else, he is holding this administration accountable for their lies.

diamond said:
and it's too bad if one of his staffers did this and/or if Mitt sanctioned this, I hope that isn't true.

I love how you are quick to blame a staffer, yet hold Clinton accountable and know about every dollar that comes in and where from in another thread... typical double standard.

unico said:
What about his statement do you disagree with? That Iraq and Sept 11th terrorist attacks are not connected? That is the point he is trying to make here. Unlike everyone else, he is holding this administration accountable for their lies.

Exactly. If more had a backbone they would have actually read the act word for word and voted against it as well.

But 286 believes we have satellite footage and that Iraqis were in the planes, so of course he's upset.

diamond said:
I think it's almost time for Mitt to pull out, you see at the end of the day, I'm a pramatic polictical realist

hey, don't give up

his five sons are risking their lives!!!!
serving their country
trying to get Mitt elected:eyebrow:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But 286 believes Iraqis were in the planes

Excuse me? Please tell me when I said that. I'd love to be surprised. Sir, I never said that, nor do I believe that, so again you are wrong.

This seems to be becoming a habit for you.

Tuesday's nonbinding resolution was a relatively short document. It had 12 "whereas" clauses — stating things like what happened the day of the terrorist attacks, who was affected and how terrorists have been targeted since then — and six resolution paragraphs establishing Sept. 11 as a day of remembrance, extending sympathies to families of victims who died and honoring those who have fought in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"It is important that Congress wake up to the truth and exercise its obligation under the Constitution to save our nation from being destroyed from the lies that took us into Iraq, the lies that keep us there, the lies that are being used to set the stage for war against Iran and the lies t

hat have undermined our basic civil liberties here at home," Kucinich said in a statement.

"The September 11 resolution that Congress considers today should have made reference to those matters. It does not, so I cannot support it," Kucinich said.

The man is right there is zero connection to the people that died on 911 and the ones dying in Iraq now.

It is a lie.

This Administration used 911 for the Iraq War.

They needed to broaden it to include the soldiers that died in every other conflict if they wanted to include Iraq.

2861U2 said:

Excuse me? Please tell me when I said that. I'd love to be surprised. Sir, I never said that, nor do I believe that, so again you are wrong.

Well, if you believe Iraq is related to 911 and should be included with a 911 rememberence you are just as wrong.

phillyfan26 said:

Where did he disgrace any victims?

By making this political. Just because it doesn't include some references to the war in Iraq, he nays it.

"six resolution paragraphs establishing Sept. 11 as a day of remembrance, extending sympathies to families of victims who died and honoring those who have fought in Afghanistan and Iraq."

He can't even support that. That is a slap in the face to the families of 9/11 victims and the families of soldiers.

He has to make it political.

deep said:

Well, if you believe Iraq is related to 911 and should be included with a 911 rememberence you are just as wrong.

:scratch:

"extending sympathies to families of victims who died and honoring those who have fought in Afghanistan AND Iraq"

2861U2 said:
By making this political. Just because it doesn't include some references to the war in Iraq, he nays it.

"six resolution paragraphs establishing Sept. 11 as a day of remembrance, extending sympathies to families of victims who died and honoring those who have fought in Afghanistan and Iraq."

He can't even support that. That is a slap in the face to the families of 9/11 victims and the families of soldiers.

Which is worse? Saying nay to a remembrance day bill he knew would pass merely as a statement, or using 9/11 as an excuse to take us to war?

The bottom line is that Kucinich is absolutely correct with everything he said.

Now, I ask you, how can you be in support of bigots? I'm glad most of THEM don't have a snowball's chance in hell either.

phillyfan26 said:

The bottom line is that Kucinich is absolutely correct with everything he said.

If he's right all the time, I'm curious as to why he barely charts on the Democratic polls. What's he at now? A percent?

phillyfan26 said:
Now, I ask you, how can you be in support of bigots? I'm glad most of THEM don't have a snowball's chance in hell either.

What are you referring to?

2861U2 said:

:scratch:

"extending sympathies to families of victims who died and honoring those who have fought in Afghanistan AND Iraq"

Why not Bosnia? or Panama? or Africa and every place else where they have died?

because it is a 911 remembrance and they include Iraq
they are making it political

they are desperate to extend this surge that the American people and the Iraqi people do not want on the blood of the 911 victims, how shameful!!!!~

2861U2 said:

This seems to be becoming a habit for you.

It's called hyperbole... You are always trying to link 9/11 with Iraq.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You are always trying to link 9/11 with Iraq.

I don't care what I'm trying to do. Please don't say that I said Iraqis flew the planes on 9/11, because I didn't.

Did you ever get in trouble much in school citing quotations?

2861U2 said:
If he's right all the time, I'm curious as to why he barely charts on the Democratic polls. What's he at now? A percent?

What are you referring to?

I don't understand your point there. I agree with him on everything he's saying, it doesn't mean that he's going to win the democratic primary. He doesn't have the support of other candidates. I can't speak for everyone else.

Fred Dalton Thompson.

2861U2 said:

It was made political well before that, that's kinda the point he's making. If it wasn't for 9/11 how many would have supported Iraq? They were tied together politically asap by this administration. You were one of the ones that fell for it, you should know.

2861U2 said:
I don't care what I'm trying to do. Please don't say that I said Iraqis flew the planes on 9/11, because I didn't.

He was making a point. He didn't literally mean that. It seems to have gone over your head.

2861U2 said:

Ok, 2861u2 never stated that Iraqis were flying the planes.
2861U2 said:

This is funny coming from you.

I never felt the need to quote when making an obvious exageration as a joke.

But please show me elsewhere where I'd get in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom