Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane L said:
John Edwards is my favorite candidate.

Next week, I'm planning to attend a book signing he'll have for his new book at a Barnes & Noble in Manhattan, and I will have two words for him: "Please run."

I feel the same. I really want to vote for him in two years. I love Obama but he's too inexperienced for a presidential campaign. Edwards has more experience, having served an entire Senate term and his campaign experience.

mkdominatr said:

haaaa. i wish. Would he still do Eagles post game live? I think so:wink:

Ed Rendell would never leave that position.

I'm not a Democrat but I love Ed Rendell.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/12/04/D8LQ4G4O0.html

Brownback is probably in. Which means, sorry Mitt, but you just lost the evangelical vote, if you even had it in the first place. It's going to be interesting to watch some of the Republicans play the "no, I'm more conservative than you" game.

I do have to give Brownback props for actually putting all of his money where his mouth is and working on social justice issues and poverty issues in addition to pro life campaigning.

Two of the candidates that I wished would run (Warner and Feingold) have now dropped out :(

Looking at the pool of candidates now, an Edwards/Richardson ticket is my choice.

From CNN.

President Bush, according to reports, is strongly considering sending a "surge" of troops to Iraq in the new year -- 20,000 or more. Sen. John McCain and Sen. Joe Lieberman have already backed such a plan. But a new poll for CNN released Monday found that this idea draws the support of only 11 percent of Americans.

Every Democrat should hang this surge like an anvil around the neck of McCain. Way to pick a loser issue!

anitram said:
From CNN.

Every Democrat should hang this surge like an anvil around the neck of McCain. Way to pick a loser issue!

Edwards is. He's already calling it the "McCain Doctrine" or something like that to link the increase in troops with McCain. Smart :up:

Dodd declares '08 presidential candidacy

By BETH FOUHY
Associated Press, January 11 2007

NEW YORK — Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd announced Thursday he will run for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008, saying problems at home and abroad meant it was time for him to "get out of the bleachers and onto the arena floor."

Dodd, a 26-year Senate veteran, told the "Imus in the Morning" radio show he will file paperwork to establish a campaign committee later in the day. "I know how to do this. I know what has to be done. I'm going to get out and make my case," Dodd said. He described himself as a dark horse in a Democratic field dominated by Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama — neither of whom have yet entered the race. "There's a heightened sense of urgency about the condition of the country. But it isn't just Iraq — there are problems here at home that are huge," Dodd said. He said he planned to focus on issues like education, energy policy and health care in his campaign.

Dodd planned to travel late Thursday to Iowa, home to the first nominating caucus in January 2008. On Sunday, Dodd intended to visit South Carolina, an early primary state.

Several other Democrats have already entered the race or are expected to do so soon. Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, who leaves office Friday, has announced his presidential candidacy, as have former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, Ohio Rep. Dennis Kucinich and Delaware Sen. Joe Biden. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson also probably will run.

Dodd's career in Washington began in 1974 when he was elected to the House in the wake of the Watergate scandal. His father, Thomas J. Dodd, served two terms in the Senate; the younger Dodd won a Senate seat in 1980. Dodd has forged strong ties with labor unions, advocated fiscal accountability for corporations and championed education and other children's issues. This month, he became chairman of the influential Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee and is a senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Dodd voted in 2002 to authorize military intervention in Iraq, but has become an outspoken critic of the war and now calls his vote a mistake. He has said he would oppose an escalation of U.S. forces in Iraq and has said Congress should consider withholding funding for such a troop increase.

Dodd has been politically active on behalf of other Democrats, raising money and campaigning for candidates across the country and headed the Democratic National Committee from 1995-96.

Dodd and his wife, Jackie Marie Clegg, have two daughters, age 5 and 22 months.

The Clintons will be back in the White House in 2008 -- you can take that to the bank.

Lots of other great Dem candidates, though. Obama and Edwards are going to be tough to beat.

Too early. Haven't recovered from 2004 yet. Think I'll sit 2007 out.

Link.

"Speaking as a private individual, I would not vote for John McCain under any circumstances," said James Dobson, founder of the Colorado Springs-based Focus on the Family as well as the Focus Action cultural action organization set up specifically to provide a platform for informing and rallying constituents....

[T]he McCain Feingold Bill kept us from telling the truth right before elections … and there are a lot of other things. He's not in favor of traditional marriage, and I pray that we won't get stuck with him," Dobson said.

Brilliant.

Senator Brownback would seem to be right in Dobson's wheelhouse. That's not a winning candidate though.

I wonder how Dobson feels about Mormons??

I bet Dobson likes the Mitt Romney style Mormon :shrug:

The Associated Press
Updated: 11:03 a.m. ET Jan 16, 2007

WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Barack Obama said Tuesday he is taking the initial step in a presidential bid that could make him the nation's first black to occupy the White House.

Obama announced on his Web site, www.barackobama.com, that he was filing a presidential exploratory committee. In a video on his exploratory committee web site, Obama said, "On February 10th, at the end of these discussions, in my home state of Illinois, I'll share my plans with my friends, neighbors and fellow Americans."

"I certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position a year ago," Obama said in a video posting. "I've been struck by how hungry we all are for a different kind of politics. So I've spent some time thinking about how I could best advance the cause of change and progress that we so desperately need."

MrsSpringsteen said:
I bet Dobson likes the Mitt Romney style Mormon :shrug:

The Associated Press
Updated: 11:03 a.m. ET Jan 16, 2007

WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Barack Obama said Tuesday he is taking the initial step in a presidential bid that could make him the nation's first black to occupy the White House.

Obama announced on his Web site, www.barackobama.com, that he was filing a presidential exploratory committee. In a video on his exploratory committee web site, Obama said, "On February 10th, at the end of these discussions, in my home state of Illinois, I'll share my plans with my friends, neighbors and fellow Americans."

"I certainly didn't expect to find myself in this position a year ago," Obama said in a video posting. "I've been struck by how hungry we all are for a different kind of politics. So I've spent some time thinking about how I could best advance the cause of change and progress that we so desperately need."

why is he taking so damn long??? the suspense is killing me!

redhotswami said:

where? i wanna go!

At the Jefferson-Jackson Day dinner in Richmond. I've gone every year since 2003 and met John Kerry (twice), John Edwards, Wesley Clark, Al Sharpton, and Joe Biden.

I'm volunteering so I get in free, otherwise it's $165 for regular people and $50 for students.

redhotswami said:
how can i get in on the volunteering?

I could hook you up, but there are a limited number of spots as it is, and I'm trying to get YDs from school in first. However I'm sure you could show up and sneak in, that's what my parents do every year :sexywink:

U2democrat said:

I could hook you up, but there are a limited number of spots as it is, and I'm trying to get YDs from school in first. However I'm sure you could show up and sneak in, that's what my parents do every year :sexywink:

:hmm: lemme see what is up with the YDs here. i need to kick somebody's ass because I had not heard of this. I'll get back to you.

Obama introduces bill to cap number of US troops in Iraq

Jan 18 3:59 PM US/Eastern

Democratic Senator Barack Obama, a likely presidential contender, introduced legislation that would cap the number of US troops in Iraq, joining a roiling debate over President George W. Bush's new war strategy.

Speaking on the floor of the Senate, Obama said his plan would also call for the gradual redeployment of US troops from the region "within two to four months."

"This measure would stop the escalation of the war in Iraq," he said, adding that "it's my belief that simply opposing the surge is not enough."

im not her biggest fan...but at the same time, im not quite sure why so many people just can't stand her. anyone wanna share their views if they don't like her?

i just simply dont agree with some of her views. and that stripe on the web site background bothers me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom