Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
McCain seems to be in a lot of trouble

I read a survey on Free Republic, a bellwether of conservative opinion if ever there was one, a few days ago, and only a couple of percent supported him.

Still, it's early days yet.

Yeah, sadly I think McCain is done as a serious candidate. I like his toughness, but I suppose his age is starting to show. If the 2007 McCain was the McCain we saw in 2000, I have no doubt he would be far ahead in the GOP race.

2861U2 said:
Yeah, sadly I think McCain is done as a serious candidate. I like his toughness, but I suppose his age is starting to show. If the 2007 McCain was the McCain we saw in 2000, I have no doubt he would be far ahead in the GOP race.

The age factor could be an issue right enough. Of course, Reagan was relatively old even back in 1980, but Reagan looked very young for his age. I have the impression the electorate may look towards a middle aged candidate, but also one with experience, and that might point towards Clinton or Giuliani.

Rudy_Giuliani.jpg

2861U2 said:

Do you really think so? I was always under the impression that the Republican "base" didn't care much for him.

Isn't it more that he's losing his luster with the wider public as well as the Republican base?

maycocksean said:

Do you really think so? I was always under the impression that the Republican "base" didn't care much for him.

Isn't it more that he's losing his luster with the wider public as well as the Republican base?

Yeah, that's true. Republicans just arent that crazy about him anymore, not like in 2000. Needless to say, this immigration bill is doing McCain in as far as conservative support for him goes.

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's Celine Dion- You And I :huh:

That Sopranos spoof is cute and clever-and Bill looks hot in that shirt in a suburban Dad going bowling sort of way.

I found a few things about it disturbing:

1-That Hilary even watches the Sopranos, or is even familar with it or comfortable enough with it to use it as a parody. It's a show that glorifies violence:down:

2-The way both Clintons acted so well was disturbing in a way. I mean they both came across as so natural that they've been in the spotlight for so long and pan to the cameras so well, there is nothing real about them.:no:

Anybody but Hilary

dbs

diamond said:

1-That Hilary even watches the Sopranos, or is even familar with it or comfortable enough with it to use it as a parody. It's a show that glorifies violence:down:

2-The way both Clintons acted so well was disturbing in a way. I mean they both came across as so natural that they've been in the spotlight for so long and pan to the cameras so well, there is nothing real about them.:no:

Anybody but Hilary

dbs

1. Millions of people watched the Sopranos. Does that mean each and every one of us are a bunch of violent imbeciles? Or that we all glorify violence? Please, it's a parody of something that's in the current realm of popular culture. Not everything has to be so deeply analyzed.

2. All politicians are actors to some extent, believe it or not. Hell, Ronald Regan was an actor before his stints in office.

3. The most disturbing thing in all of this is the fact that a Celine Dion song is her campaign song. :wink:

diamond said:

Anybody but Hilary

dbs

Give me a fucking break. Ronald and Arnold both acted in violent films, do they disturb you? Take your double standards somewhere else.

The Sopranos is the best TV show ... evAH!

more people die in 30 minutes of, say, "Total Recall" than in an entire season of The Sopranos.

Good point made by John Gibson yesterday:

So in the video, Hillary is the head of the family and Bill is the wife. OK, it's all very symbolic and new age-y. They're going back to the White House with switched roles. Great.

But is it just me or does the idea of a hit man eyeing a former president and a presidential wannabe seem just a bit much?

Let's just suppose a conservative jokester had made the same short film with Bill and Hill look-alikes and put that hit man, Johnny Sack, in. Wouldn't somebody be screaming for heads?

I'm just asking.

2861U2 said:
Good point made by John Gibson yesterday:

Let's just suppose a conservative jokester had made the same short film with Bill and Hill look-alikes and put that hit man, Johnny Sack, in. Wouldn't somebody be screaming for heads?

I'm just asking.

Wow, this man doesn't know how a spoof works. There's a big difference in doing it yourself and someone else spoofing you. So this analogy doesn't work.

This Gibson fellow isn't too bright is he?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wow, this man doesn't know how a spoof works. There's a big difference in doing it yourself and someone else spoofing you. So this analogy doesn't work.

This Gibson fellow isn't too bright is he?

You've no idea. I'd put his acuity just above Rush Limbaugh and just below a sack of hammers.

His logic here is the same logic that wonders why it's OK for blacks to use the n-word...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Give me a fucking break. Ronald and Arnold both acted in violent films, do they disturb you? Take your double standards somewhere else.

I don't think all violence in film equate the same way.

Would violence found in a Harrison Ford movie film equate the same way as viloence found in a Quentin Tarantino film?

I also think you should take your break from using profanity in these fourms.

Thanks,

dbs

Last edited:
2861U2 said:

I'm still waiting to learn why it is ok.

I don't want to derail this thread, so I'm going to give you a rather simplified answer. If you have further questions feel free to PM me and we can discuss this in further detail.

The reason its "okay" for blacks to say the "n" word (though not all blacks agree that it is, including me) is the same reason it's okay for you to complain about your mom but if someone ELSE starts talking about your mom, well we have a problem.

Make sense?

diamond said:

Would violence found in a Harrison Ford movie film equate the same way as viloence found in a Quentin Tarantino film?

Thanks,

dbs

Or Mel Gibson, right?

diamond said:

Thanks,

dbs

Violence is violence. Like Irvine511 said more people died in Total Recall then every season combined of Sopranos.

I will stop cussing as soon as you stop being a hypocrite and practice what you preach. Deal?

unico said:

:trying to think of an Arnold film that doesn't glorify violence:

umm...maybe jingle all the way? i didn't see the whole thing.

Twins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom