Official Campaign 2008 Hot Stove Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are 3 co-front runners right now, U2Democrat. Obama, Edwards, and Clinton. They're all pretty close together in the polls, and Obama and Clinton are close in fundraising, with Edwards not far behind.

LyricalDrug said:
I think there are 3 co-front runners right now, U2Democrat. Obama, Edwards, and Clinton. They're all pretty close together in the polls, and Obama and Clinton are close in fundraising, with Edwards not far behind.

Oh I agree, but the media is so shocked by Obama and Edwards keeping up with Hillary and I don't understand why they are so surprised.

U2democrat said:

Oh I agree, but the media is so shocked by Obama and Edwards keeping up with Hillary and I don't understand why they are so surprised.

I think each Democratic candidate is trying to position themselves as NOT being the front-runner. It's always nicer to be the "little guy" who comes from behind and rallies to defeat the heavily-favored candidate (a la Bill Clinton in the '92 primary).

As a Hillary supporter, I'm glad people are finally beginning to stop referring to her as the presumptive winner.

Campaigning in Alabama on Tuesday, the former New York City mayor portrayed himself as a fiscal conservative and an aggressive fighter of terrorism who has a lot in common with the Deep South state.

But when asked about more mundane matters - like the price of some basic staples - Giuliani had trouble with a reporter's question.

"A gallon of milk is probably about a $1.50, a loaf of bread about a $1.25, $1.30," he said.

A check of the Web site for D'Agostino supermarket on Manhattan's Upper East Side showed a gallon of milk priced at $4.19 and a loaf of white bread at $2.99 to $3.39. In Montgomery, Ala., a gallon of milk goes for about $3.39 and bread is about $2.

Asked about the flying of the Confederate flag in some Southern states, Giuliani said, "That's a good thing to be left on a state-by-state basis."

The former mayor never mentioned his position on gay rights and abortion that separate him from traditional Republican voters in the state, but he said he would always be straight with voters.

[q]The former mayor never mentioned his position on gay rights and abortion that separate him from traditional Republican voters in the state, but he said he would always be straight with voters.[/q]

giulianidrag.jpg

From the NY Times.

In interviews on Tuesday, the Republicans said they were concerned about signs of despondency among party members and fund-raisers, reflected in polls and the Democratic fund-raising advantage in the first quarter of the year. Many party leaders expressed worry that the party’s presidential candidates faced a tough course without some fundamental shift in the political dynamic.

“My level of concern and dismay is very, very high,” said Mickey Edwards, a Republican former congressman from Oklahoma who is now a lecturer in public policy at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton. “It’s not that I have any particular problem with the people who are running for the Republican nomination. I just don’t know how they can run hard enough or fast enough to escape the gravitational pull of the Bush administration.”

“We don’t have any candidates in the field now who are compelling,” Mr. Edwards said, adding: “It’s going to be a tough year for us.”

Republican leaders said they saw little chance the party could retain the White House if conditions in Iraq did not improve noticeably over the next year.

“The war in Iraq and public opposition to it has put a pall on Republicans,” said John C. Danforth, a former Republican senator from Missouri.

Representative Peter T. King, Republican of New York, said, “As long as the war appears not to be doing well, it’s going to hurt Republicans.”

The biggest problem, several Republicans said, is the disparity between the level of enthusiasm on display among Democrats and that on the Republican side.

“You’re seeing a carryover of the energy and the enthusiasm and the momentum from the 2006 Democratic takeover,” said Representative Adam H. Putnam, Republican of Florida. “Momentum is an important force in sports and politics, and the momentum is clearly on their side.”

Campaigning in Alabama on Tuesday, the former New York City mayor portrayed himself as a fiscal conservative and an aggressive fighter of terrorism who has a lot in common with the Deep South state.

But when asked about more mundane matters - like the price of some basic staples - Giuliani had trouble with a reporter's question.

"A gallon of milk is probably about a $1.50, a loaf of bread about a $1.25, $1.30," he said.

A check of the Web site for D'Agostino supermarket on Manhattan's Upper East Side showed a gallon of milk priced at $4.19 and a loaf of white bread at $2.99 to $3.39. In Montgomery, Ala., a gallon of milk goes for about $3.39 and bread is about $2.

Asked about the flying of the Confederate flag in some Southern states, Giuliani said, "That's a good thing to be left on a state-by-state basis."

The former mayor never mentioned his position on gay rights and abortion that separate him from traditional Republican voters in the state, but he said he would always be straight with voters.

:huh:

Giuliani, Romney have cash on hand

By Mike Dorning
Washington Bureau
Published April 13, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani ran a frugal presidential campaign during the first three months of this year, leaving him with nearly as much money in the bank for next year's Republican presidential primaries as the party's most formidable fundraiser, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney.

Giuliani reported $10.8 million in cash available for the primary season from contributions of $13.6 million for those elections as of March 31. Romney showed a balance of $11.9 million from $20.7 million in contributions.

With all that money on hand
you know those guys would love to go down to Fashion Week
fashionweek.jpg

Romney could shop for some new wives

and Rudy could shop for some new outfits.

giuliani_in_drag.jpg

Oh dammit. I was just going to make a thread poking fun of Rudy's "outfits."

giuliani%20drag.jpg

What Would Reagan Do?

LyricalDrug said:

I think each Democratic candidate is trying to position themselves as NOT being the front-runner. It's always nicer to be the "little guy" who comes from behind and rallies to defeat the heavily-favored candidate (a la Bill Clinton in the '92 primary).

I agree. It's a pain in the neck being the front runner this early in the game.

I just like that term "tonsorial stylings"

Edwards' haircuts cost a pretty penny
Candidate's multiple tonsorial stylings cost over $200 a clip
The Associated Press
Updated: 3:08 p.m. ET April 17, 2007

WASHINGTON - Looking pretty is costing John Edwards' presidential campaign a lot of pennies. The Democrat's campaign committee picked up the tab for two haircuts at $400 each by celebrity stylist Joseph Torrenueva of Beverly Hills, Calif., according to a financial report filed with the Federal Election Commission.

FEC records show Edwards also availed himself of $250 in services from a trendy salon and spa in Dubuque, Iowa, and $225 in services from the Pink Sapphire in Manchester, N.H., which is described on its Web site as "a unique boutique for the mind, body and face" that caters mostly to women.

A spokeswoman for Edwards' campaign did not respond to requests for comment.

Torrenueva - who specializes in men's haircuts - confirmed in an interview with The Associated Press that Edwards is a longtime client and friend.

"I do cut his hair and I have cut it for quite a while," Torrenueva said. "We've been friends a long time."

Referring to a picture of Edwards published Tuesday in The Los Angeles Times, Torrenueva said: "That's my cut." The stylist said he couldn't vouch for the source of Edwards' haircuts in other photos.

One reason the cost of the cut was so steep even by Beverly Hills standards is that Torrenueva went to Edwards rather than the candidate coming into the stylist's salon a block off Rodeo Drive.

"I go to him wherever convenient," Torrenueva said. He declined to identify where the cuts paid for by the campaign took place.

Campaign records also show the former North Carolina senator's campaign paid $248 on March 1 to the Designworks Salon in Dubuque.

According to Designworks' Web site, the salon and spa features a wide variety of beauty and health services, including massages, facials, body polishes, self tanners, and rosemary mint and Caribbean therapy body wraps.

The salon's owners did not return a call.

Edwards, 53, who has made alleviating poverty the central theme of candidacy, has been criticized for building a 28,000-square-foot house for $5.3 million near Chapel Hill, N.C. The complex of several buildings on 102 acres includes an indoor basketball court, an indoor pool and a handball court.

Edwards, who was John Kerry's vice presidential runningmate in 2004, is also the subject of a YouTube spoof poking fun at his youthful good looks. The video shows the candidate combing his tresses to the dubbed-in tune of "I Feel Pretty."

In 1993, Cristophe gave former President Clinton a $200 haircut aboard Air Force One as it sat on the tarmac at Los Angeles International Airport. Late-night comedians and columnists poked fun at the president for the expensive cut.

deep said:
Does it matter if he pays $5 or $200 for a hair cut?

Why anyone would care is beyond me.

it just reeks of hypocrisy.

like being born in CT and going to Harvard and Yale but talkin' like yer straight outta Hee-Haw.

Well, I reckon I do have roots practically right out of Hee Haw and I spend obscene amounts of money on my hair, obviously overcompensating for my redneck roots, lol.

Seriously, I would expect any Presidential candidate to spend a lot of money on his/her appearance. You can have humble roots, be down to earth, and still spend a lot of money on your appearance and I guess I don't see that as being all that hypocritical. He's running for President. Throw in a bit of color and a manicure and I'd say $200 is a deal. But I'm crazy that way.

joyfulgirl said:
Well, I reckon I do have roots practically right out of Hee Haw and I spend obscene amounts of money on my hair, obviously overcompensating for my redneck roots, lol.

Seriously, I would expect any Presidential candidate to spend a lot of money on his/her appearance. You can have humble roots, be down to earth, and still spend a lot of money on your appearance and I guess I don't see that as being all that hypocritical. He's running for President. Throw in a bit of color and a manicure and I'd say $200 is a deal. But I'm crazy that way.

And the fact that the hairdresser came to him, it almost sounds cheap...

^ indeed

Is it a gender thing? Are they just making fun of him again for being "pretty"? I'm sure Hillary spends a fortune on her hair. I mean, what are they really saying here?

joyfulgirl said:
^ indeed

Is it a gender thing? Are they just making fun of him again for being "pretty"? I'm sure Hillary spends a fortune on her hair. I mean, what are they really saying here?

Good question...:hmm:

It just seems like a desperate attempt to dig up something on him. If that's all they've got, big whoop de do -- no pun intended but it's good, don'tcha think? :wink:

deep said:
I don't think very many straight:ohmy: men pay $200 for a hair cut.

Now, for (a) trim. :whistle:

But what if it was a cut, shave, and color (oh my) plus him traveling there? Yes I admit still a little steep, but not that bad once you figure in his travel and that he's a Rodeo drive stylists...

It reminds of the Bill Clinton Christophe haircut story, and how they tried to make a big deal of that.

joyfulgirl said:
^ indeed

they're trying to make him the Gay Candidate.

and draw attention away from Rudy-in-a-dress.

I just think it rocks that he went to a place called the Pink Sapphire. I've seen his hair in person, it is quite lustrous and lovely.

Seriously I think it's commendable that a man cares about his appearance enough to do that- as long as it doesn't become an obsession, same for women. I think it's preposterous to think that has any effect or anything to do with his caring for the poor or his policies. His house-well I think it's way over the top but he came from very humble roots and he earned it. So if that's how he wants to live, that's his choice. It would take much more than that to convince me that he's a phony.

:giggle:

Quad City Times

Quad-City barbers put down their shears and sputtered words like “preposterous” and “impossible” Wednesday when they heard of Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards spending $400 for a haircut. In the Quad-Cities, $10 or $12 is about average.

“If I charged $400 for a haircut, they’d come after me with white coats,” said Leo Fier, who has been cutting hair for 49 years at his shop in DeWitt, Iowa.

Edwards’ campaign committee filed a financial report with the Federal Election Commission noting that the White House hopeful paid $400 for haircuts in California and New Hampshire, and $248 for salon services in Dubuque, Iowa.

“That’s impossible, $400,” said Don “Dutchman” Braafhart, who runs Dutchman’s Barbershop in Davenport.

Next time he’s in town, Edwards would get a real bargain at Davenport Barber College, where supervised student barbers charge only $7.50.

Even some Quad-Citians who allow their locks to grow long are shocked by a $400 haircut.

“My Santa Claus long hair is my trademark,” said Terry Lunardi, Davenport restaurateur. “I just had my hair cut Monday for $10. And I have a lot of hair to cut.”

Kurt Ullrich, a Scott County deputy auditor whose hair runs long, said, “Edwards and I are of a similar age and I took note of his hair when I visited briefly with him in Davenport. His hair is thick, full and beautifully coiffed, whereas mine is counter-culture long. Sixteen dollars is the most I’ve ever paid for a haircut.”

There are a few Quad-City shops that rise above the $10 average. A man’s haircut may range from $18 to $42 at some specialty salons. Operators at two of those shops said they would welcome Edwards, and not charge his campaign $400.

A barbaric price for cutting hair may not be unusual. Jay Ledford, who runs Cut Rite, Moline, with his dad, Jay Sr., insists that a number of years ago, President Clinton had his hair cut in Davenport. “I can’t remember the barber, but he only charged him $150,” Ledford said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-zoPgv_nYg

Sen. John McCain brought his "Straight Talk" tour to South Carolina Wednesday morning.

The presidential hopeful spent 90 minutes talking to nearly 500 people who crammed into the Murrells Inlet VFW Hall.

At the campaign rally, McCain was asked if an attack on Iran is in the works, the GEORGETOWN TIMES reports.

McCain began his answer by changing the words to a popular BEACH BOYS song.

“Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran,” he sang to the tune of Barbara Ann.

One McCain aide who attended the event said McCain was adding a little levity to the discussion and the crowd reacted with laughter.

McCain went on to discuss the seriousness of the issue, saying he supports the President, and he will not allow Iran to destroy Israel.

I suspect he was playing off of "Bomb Iraq" to the same tune which Capitol Steps recorded several years back. It's one thing for a band of political satirists to do that though...

McCain's 2nd amendment / V-tech statement

and

bomb Iraq

forgiving Imus

etc.

will only help him close the gap in the GOP primaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom