Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Bama

Rock n' Roll Doggie
From Today's BIRMINGHAM NEWS:

"Candidate A" and "Candidate B"asked voters Monday to elect them lieutenant governor because of their years of experience.

In the final day of a close campaign, "Candidate A" pointed to her term as state treasurer and said she knows government and works well with people.

"Frankly, I think another trait that is of value is being a female," "Candidate A" said when asked why people should elect her instead of "Candidate B" to be presiding officer of the state Senate.

"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.

"That compassion and caring and wanting to do what's right with all members of the family will certainly be valuable in doing what's right with all members of that Senate," said "Candidate A", 64, who has two grown children.

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on candidate A's comments from today's newspaper.

~U2Alabama

Last edited:
could you imagine if a male candidate had said, "you know, men are naturally tougher and more decisive in decision-making, therefore I feal I am better qualified than my opponent"

of if a white candidate said, "you know, I am white and most Americans are white, so cleary I identify more with the American people than my [insert minority designation here] opponent"

Clinton's opponents should point out that they didn't let their dog get hit by a car, thus making them more sensitive to animals and the environment

i'll nurture her face.

U2Bama said:
"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," "Candidate A" said. "That's because we were going to be caretakers of the family. I think government is caretaker of the people.

"That compassion and caring and wanting to do what's right with all members of the family will certainly be valuable in doing what's right with all members of that Senate," said "Candidate A", 64, who has two grown children.

that's really lame.

I dont think being female in any given scenario is something to be considered a virtue. Its just the way things are. Duh.
"I think God gave women, the female gender, an extra little nurturing trait," --blah. Whatever. Some women have it, some dont. Some men have it, some dont. Interesting statements to base your political career on? Who cares that she will love and treat her public like children and nurture them...does she have the balls to do the job?

Oops, I said balls...I will throw myself in front of the next semi driven by a feminist.

U2Bama said:
"Frankly, I think another trait that is of value is being a female," "Candidate A" said when asked why people should elect her instead of "Candidate B" to be presiding officer of the state Senate.

They're attempting to play the religious right, who would actually be stupid enough to fall for this.

Melon

Unfortunately, the reaction to such a statement will largely depend on whether there is a little "R" or a little "D" next to their name.

Angela Harlem said:

Oops, I said balls...I will throw myself in front of the next semi driven by a feminist.

I consider myself a feminist, yet I don't drive a semi, burn my bra or agree with what this senator said.

:scratch: Stereotypes.. go figure. :|

ugh......

We had a female Democratic candidate for Governor, who should have won :D, but anyway..as far as I know, she never made any statements like that.

But her opponent (a guy) did call her conduct in the last debate 'unbecoming' :rolleyes: :yuck:

Many people considered that to be very patronizing and chauvinist...I did

Gina Marie said:

But her opponent (a guy) did call her conduct in the last debate 'unbecoming' :rolleyes: :yuck:
Of course her conduct in that debate was deplorable, and probably what cost her the election. Catcher's Mitt could certainly have picked a better word than "Unbecoming" of course, but it was curious that Shannon didn't mention it during the debate, but the next day while she campaigned with Hillary Clinton (who is not sensitive to animals, ask Buddy ;) ), it gets mentioned as a sexist remark.
I'm just sad Robert Reich lost in the primary...would have been fun to see him carrying a milk crate to the podium every time he had to make a speech.

Hewson said:

I'm just sad Robert Reich lost in the primary...would have been fun to see him carrying a milk crate to the podium every time he had to make a speech.

Well, I have nothing to say about the merits (lack thereof :D) of Mitt Romney :yuck:..frankly I find most things about him to be 'unbecoming'..he reminds me of a Ken doll :p

Reich is shorter than even :bono: *runs away*

:tongue:

That was the big problem with this election, you had most people choosing who was least offensive, basically deciding between the lesser of 2 evils.

Re: Re: Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?

melon said:

They're attempting to play the religious right, who would actually be stupid enough to fall for this.

Melon

I don't think the "compassion and caring" and women are better than men line came from the religious right. That's right out of the left and its feminists and you know it. I don't think I've heard Jesse Helms speak about how women are superior...hmmmm...maybe I'm missing something.

The arguement is incredibly lame and plays out to the grrrl power types. Besides, every woman in politics is just like every man. They talk the same and act the same. They're just as petty (Shannon O'Brien is a great example) and mean-spirited. Party politics and values seems to be more of a defining factor.

When I hear someone boasting about how compassionate and caring they are, I hear "more welfare" and "endless social welfare programs".

My question is, what were her stances on other issues? Yes, the whole idea of her being a woman makes her somehow more competant for a particular job is bull. Was this "nuturing of the state" the cornerstone of her campaign? Was her spin the fact that she was a woman? Or was she elected because of stances on other issues such as education, civil rights, etc....

Gina Marie said:
ugh......

We had a female Democratic candidate for Governor, who should have won :D, but anyway..as far as I know, she never made any statements like that.

Many people considered that to be very patronizing and chauvinist...I did

Not that many people thought so, or Romney wouldn't have won. In fact, her and Hillary's crying about such a non-issue probably hurt her substantially in the election...that, and her general conduct leading to Romney's statement. Frankly, that was one of the most absurd tactics the Dems used in this election, trying to frame his use of "unbecoming" as a sexist remark. That's just stupid.

Last edited:
No offense, and I have complete distaste for 'arguing' in FYM, but honestly, I think that's a bit sexist to say they were 'crying' about that.

I think that and the debate (s) were a small part of it. He did win by only 5 percent. People seem to have the perception that Romney the businessman and person who seems to claim he singlehandedly rescued the troubled Olympics = person who can turn around the economy in MA. I think that was the most important factor in his victory. We will just have to wait and see how effective he is.....

Olive, sorry if you found that offensive. None was intended. The pros and cons of femminism are a debate for another thread. But anyways, tongue in cheek if you like :) Its very un PC even if you swap the gender role imo.

Meh...Massachusetts' Congress is 80% Democratic. Mitt Romney, just like Jane Swift, is irrelevant.

Melon

Angela Harlem said:
Olive, sorry if you found that offensive. None was intended. The pros and cons of femminism are a debate for another thread. But anyways, tongue in cheek if you like :) Its very un PC even if you swap the gender role imo.

Thanks Angela. :) Yes, for another thread I agree- and we'd probably agree on the pros and cons, too. :)

Gina- even more reason I like ya, we vote the same! :p :mac:

http://www.samizdata.net/blog/archives/002389.html#002389

Channel 4 News had Michael Moore on for the Democrats and Laura Ingraham for the Republicans. She did rather well, but Mr. Moore had the last word:

"No wonder they win, they look better than us."
I wonder what would have happened if such a really harmless joke had come from the lips of a liberal or a conservative rather than a Leftist?

Political Correctness is not a matter of what is said; it is a matter of who says it. The annointed are "allowed" freedoms of speech unavailable to the hoi polloi. Had it been myself on ITV news, making the same remark, I would be pilloried for it.

Do not get me wrong: I am not castigating Michael Moore for this remark. I am merely pointing out there is an inherent asymmetry and illogic to the Left's position on Freedom of Speech. The fact is, I agree with Michael Moore. Laura Ingraham is better looking than he is.

Smarter too.

us3 said:
[B"No wonder they win, they look better than us."[/B]

Quite frankly, I doubt he is far off. During John F. Kennedy's election in 1960, when polled, many female voters admitted that they were only voting for him, because of his looks. Appearance is everything, frankly. People may never want to admit to it, but the packaging has just as much to do, if not more, than the actual message.

Melon

diamond said:
Hey:censored:
Everybody KNOWS that Nixon was sexier then Jack Kennedy:angry:

thank
u
DB9
:dance:

Yeah Diamond......

I am sure all of those women at home watching that debate......

found the sweat pouring off Nixon quite sexy.......

LOL

Peace to all......

U2Bama said:
From Today's BIRMINGHAM NEWS:

Well, I can say that candidate A is clearly a Democrat.

No self-respecting Republican believes we need the governement to take care of us.

Caretaker of the people....PLEASE.........

Last edited:
Actually, it probably is a Democrat. These arguments remind me of the same arguments that "progressive" people used to argue for women's suffrage. As well intentioned as it was in this case (and I'm sure it was the same way with the Alabama political candidate), women and all other subordinate hegemonic groups deserve equality quite simply because we are human.

But, as activist Harry Hay once said, lamentingly, "Well, as a matter of fact, minorities don't have rights. To be let in, they have to be bringing something that the society needs and doesn't have." And I think that's why asinine comments like the one made by the Alabama political candidate continue to be made.

Melon

us3 said:
Laura Ingraham is better looking than he is.

Smarter too.

How DARE you claim that ANYONE, especially a conservative like Laura Ingraham, is smarter than Michael Moore!!!! That is a cardinal offense! We all know that Michael Moore is the greatest and smartest and most special person in the world!

I cannot belive that you would have the audacity to make such a claim in the "Free Your Mind" forum os a U2 message board. How offensive!

babu1.gif

~U2Alabama

YES, candidate A IS a Democrat.

Someone asked what the issues were or why she waon or something; her issue was name recognition. Her ex-husband was the former (and popular) state Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor; they divorced, she kept the name, and entered politics and has won every race since then.

She was not the religious right candidate; her opponent was the clear religious right candidate.

We also need to discuss the South Carolina Governor's race and the Montana Senate race. In both of these races, entities supporting the Democratic candidates did some sexuality-baiting against their opposing Republican campaigns.

In South Carolina, Republican candidate for Senate Lindsey Graham brought Rudolph Giuliani to town for a campaign fundraiser event. His Democratic opponent then attacked Graham's association with Giuliani because, allegedly, Giuliani was kicked out of his house by his wife and had taken up residence with two gay men. Lindsey Graham won the election.

In Montana, the Democratic candidate for Governor ran a television ad showing video footage of the Republican candidate working as a hairdresser, thus insinuating that he was gay. The Republican candidate won.

~U2Alabama

melon said:

Quite frankly, I doubt he is far off. During John F. Kennedy's election in 1960, when polled, many female voters admitted that they were only voting for him, because of his looks. Appearance is everything, frankly. People may never want to admit to it, but the packaging has just as much to do, if not more, than the actual message.

Melon

u might be on to something. ppl listening to the kennedy/nixon debate thought nixon won. TV viewers thought opposite.

Bono concurs....

http://www.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=5415494/PictureID=98751607/t_=4841968

diamond don't be jealous.

Back
Top Bottom