Offensive/Sexist Comments By An Alabama Political Candidate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Bama said:
YES, candidate A IS a Democrat.

Someone asked what the issues were or why she waon or something; her issue was name recognition. Her ex-husband was the former (and popular) state Attorney General and Lieutenant Governor; they divorced, she kept the name, and entered politics and has won every race since then.

She was not the religious right candidate; her opponent was the clear religious right candidate.

We also need to discuss the South Carolina Governor's race and the Montana Senate race. In both of these races, entities supporting the Democratic candidates did some sexuality-baiting against their opposing Republican campaigns.

In South Carolina, Republican candidate for Senate Lindsey Graham brought Rudolph Giuliani to town for a campaign fundraiser event. His Democratic opponent then attacked Graham's association with Giuliani because, allegedly, Giuliani was kicked out of his house by his wife and had taken up residence with two gay men. Lindsey Graham won the election.

In Montana, the Democratic candidate for Governor ran a television ad showing video footage of the Republican candidate working as a hairdresser, thus insinuating that he was gay. The Republican candidate won.

~U2Alabama

not quite...mont. was a senator race. Baccus(sp) the demo won.

here's the SC quote:

He's an ultra-liberal," Sanders said. "His wife kicked him out and he moved in with two gay men and a Shih Tzu. Is that South Carolina values? I don't think so."

FYI-Barney Frank made a statement denouncing sanders.

And then there's this one....

Yesterday, Hawaii Reporter talked to a handful of people outside the Republican Party who had direct knowledge of a new secret whispering campaign against Republican Gubernatorial Candidate Linda Lingle. Apparently a woman claiming to be the former lover of Lingle is calling targeted Republicans as a part of a smear campaign against Lingle. Lingle says she is not gay and in fact has been married twice.

Lingle supporters says smear mongers are hoping to distract voters from the real issues like the fact that the state has hit rock bottom in almost every category -- education, business, social problems, importation of drugs, domestic violence, theft -- because of poor political leadership.

Democrats tried this same smear in 1998 against Lingle when she ran for governor against incumbent Benjamin Cayetano and against some of their own candidates in years prior who weren't the "chosen" party candidates, including a Democrat candidate for mayor and a Democrat candidate for governor

I guess the "smear" didn't work this time. She won.

us3 said:

not quite...mont. was a senator race. Baccus(sp) the demo won.

You're right; it was my error. I knew it was the Montana governor's race, as Max Baucus won his Sente seat.

Isn't this the first time in about 40 years that Hawaii has elected a Republican Governor? It is also the first time in 120 years that Georgia has elected a Republican Governor.

~U2Alabama

Massachusetts:

Elected its Third Republican Governor in a ROW.

The big news....and the one that is giving our new governor a mandate to be fiscally responsible is the fact that ....

Our Income Tax was almost abolished by a ballot question.

AMAZING here in the state of the Bleading Hearts......

Could Teddy Kennedy be gone next???????

Dreadsox said:
Our Income Tax was almost abolished by a ballot question.

oh my god. is that for real? your state almost abolished income tax? did whoever proposed that suggest any alternative way of funding public expenditure?

FizzingWhizzbees said:

oh my god. is that for real? your state almost abolished income tax? did whoever proposed that suggest any alternative way of funding public expenditure?

For real.......Here was the question.http://www.state.ma.us/sec/ele/elebq02/bq021.htm

Here is the result:

BALLOT QUESTIONS
1 No Income Tax
2,155 of 2,157 precincts -- 100%
No 1,060,525 -- 55%
Yes 881,738 -- 45%

Dreadsox said:

For real.......Here was the question.http://www.state.ma.us/sec/ele/elebq02/bq021.htm

Here is the result:

BALLOT QUESTIONS
1 No Income Tax
2,155 of 2,157 precincts -- 100%
No 1,060,525 -- 55%
Yes 881,738 -- 45%

The people who proposed that disgust me.

And I'm shocked that it was rejected by such a narrow margin. Although I guess if you asked people if they wanted to pay more or less tax and didn't explain fully the consequences of that, most people would choose not to pay taxes.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

The people who proposed that disgust me.

And I'm shocked that it was rejected by such a narrow margin. Although I guess if you asked people if they wanted to pay more or less tax and didn't explain fully the consequences of that, most people would choose not to pay taxes.

That is a shame.....

They are Patriots. They are correct in wanting accountability by our government. They are correct that too much of our money is wasted.

Dreadsox said:

They are Patriots. They are correct in wanting accountability by our government. They are correct that too much of our money is wasted.

They didn't ask for accountability. They asked for an end to income tax. They asked for a tax which pays for schools, hospitals, fire stations and police, to give just a few examples, to be removed.

If patriotism involves taking away healthcare and education from those who need it, by removing the means to pay for them, then I'm happy to be unpatriotic.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

They didn't ask for accountability. They asked for an end to income tax. They asked for a tax which pays for schools, hospitals, fire stations and police, to give just a few examples, to be removed.

If patriotism involves taking away healthcare and education from those who need it, by removing the means to pay for them, then I'm happy to be unpatriotic.

Please do not put words in my mouth, I did not call you unpatriotic.

45% of the people were for it, the state must be doing something wrong.

It did not take place until July 2003. Plenty of time to figure it out.

It meant property taxes and sales taxes go up.....Maybe hitting some of those more wealthy people you want to "Progressively" tax.

They are patriots...they want what our founding fathers wanted. How is England by the way?

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

Please do not put words in my mouth, I did not call you unpatriotic.

45% of the people were for it, the state must be doing something wrong.

It did not take place until July 2003. Plenty of time to figure it out.

It meant property taxes and sales taxes go up.....Maybe hitting some of those more wealthy people you want to "Progressively" tax.

They are patriots...they want what our founding fathers wanted. How is England by the way?

Property tax and sales tax are the opposite of progressive taxation. They mean that poorer people pay proportionally more of their income in taxation. Progressive taxation is the opposite - richer people should pay proportionally more.

I didn't mean to imply you called me unpatriotic (although it wouldn't bother me if you had.) so sorry if that's the impression my comments gave.

Even if the tax didn't end until next July, what are you going to figure out in the next few months? Which schools and hospitals to close? Or how many firefighters to lay off?

And England's cold and rainy and has a puppet instead of a prime minster, but thanks for asking. :happy:

finally figured our how to post picts...no need to call that rocket scientist, older brother will do.

us3 said:

u might be on to something. ppl listening to the kennedy/nixon debate thought nixon won. TV viewers thought opposite.

Bono concurs....

3359%3A%3A4323232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2327%3D%3B64%3D%3C8%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E232334%3A9%3A5%3A%3A5ot1lsi

diamond don't be jealous of her.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Property tax and sales tax are the opposite of progressive taxation. They mean that poorer people pay proportionally more of their income in taxation. Progressive taxation is the opposite - richer people should pay proportionally more

Wouldn't they since theoretically their property will be worth more? I am in no way shape or form an expert on taxes.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I didn't mean to imply you called me unpatriotic (although it wouldn't bother me if you had.) so sorry if that's the impression my comments gave.

OK...You are unpatriotic.....said while laughing :laugh: and with admiration.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

Even if the tax didn't end until next July, what are you going to figure out in the next few months? Which schools and hospitals to close? Or how many firefighters to lay off?

We get taxed again Next spring....plenty of time to stay solvent for another year....into 2004.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

And England's cold and rainy and has a puppet instead of a prime minster, but thanks for asking. :happy:

A puppet....LOL Controlled by who? GW?

us3 said:
finally figured our how to post picts...no need to call that rocket scientist, older brother will do.

who is that "sexy" anyhow?:angry:
she doesnt look like a Nixon to me..

-diamond
:dance:

Could that be the afore mentioned Laura Ingraham?

Yes, conseratives whoop and hollar!

Somebody will be breakin' out the lube.

deep said:
Could that be the afore mentioned Laura Ingraham?

She wrote a nice article about Bono like a yr and a half ago.:up:
I wonder if Bono was giving payola for the sexy article?:huh:
Her hair color switch threw me..:angry:

DB9
:dance:

Yes, conseratives whoop and hollar!

Somebody will be breakin' out the lube.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom