OF WHITE WRISTBANDS, BRAD PITT and ETHIOPIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, i'm sure you're right, i remember when garnett first started wearing that rubber band, pretty soon everyone on the junior high team had one. i know i had a cool red one from my paper route.

however, none of this changes the fact that earl is the man!

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
The problem with these symbolic gestures of support is that they become a trite measuring stick of care (I have my ribbon on, so I care - where is yours).

That potential problem is much smaller than the benefits that can be gained by wearing a gesture of support. You know my view that more people need to be aware, more people need to add their voice in bringing justice to Africa. While the motives of some may be what you fear, I believe that wearing a white bracelet will spark more conversation and awareness. This emergency might register with people when they see numerous white bands on people through out their day.

nbcrusader said:

You can wear all the stuff you want - it would be far better to send money to the organization in need.

In this emergency our voice - our voice that we care and want something done - is what is most needed.

If you haven't already, please check out the intro to "Make Poverty History" campaign.

http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/

After the intro, please notice the first thing that is mentioned.

We don't want your money.

Then, please note all of the organizations that have banded together to run this campaign. They scroll by on the bottom right corner.

World Vision, Unicef, Christian Aid, and Save the Children are there to name a few. All of these organizations do accept donations and do great things with the money they collected - but they are banding together to say that it isn't enough. Charitable donations aren't what is needed to solve the problem. The issues need to be resolved at a government level to bring about change. Sending money to the individual organizations isn't making the difference.

thnaks, stars and BostonAnne, for trying to understand that this thread was only to provide info for those who were interested in supporting people's efforts to raise awareness of the Global AIDS crisis.:wink:

Instead, the thread was allowed to deteriorate to berate the very people's lives which are of the utmost importance - those languishing in desparate poverty and losing their lives simply because they are poor and born in the developing world. :sad:

If a person didn't approve of this idea, then the best thing was to simply find a post that they could FIND SOMETHING POSITIVE to contribute to. Instead certain posts here have made A MOCKERY OF THE UNNECESSARY SUFFERING OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WORLDWIDE. :tsk:

I truly wonder what Bono would think of some of the posters in this and other threads for discounting the seriousness of extreme poverty in our world and for offering nothing constructive but to belittle and make fun of his and other sincerely motivated people's efforts simply to help the poor!

I think he might have a few choice words for some people. :yes:

Blessed be the poor....:hug:

Jamila said:
Instead certain posts here have made A MOCKERY OF THE UNNECESSARY SUFFERING OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE WORLDWIDE. :tsk:

Really, there have been posts that mock the poor? Where, please site one example?

Jamila said:
I truly wonder what Bono would think of some of the posters in this and other threads for discounting the seriousness of extreme poverty in our world and for offering nothing constructive but to belittle and make fun of his and other sincerely motivated people's efforts simply to help the poor!

yet again show me examples, where have the people you so wonderfully publically attacked done this. Show me where any of them have EVER disounted the SERIOUSNESS of poverty. Please, if you are going to say something about them at least quote them.:|

Clearly you have the market cornered on sincerity in your motivation. None of the conservatives could have ever done anything and have been sincere about it.:ohmy:

Bono works with everyone, maybe you should try and follow his example insteading of judging others SINCERITY.

by discounting people's sincere efforts to raise awareness of poverty in our world by making unnecessary "fun" of wristbands or any other tool to focus people's attention on this issue, in effect you are belittling the seriousness of this issue.

I don't have to try to convince anyone of the truth I am speaking - all a fair-minded individual has to do is to read the way this thread was purposefully hijacked and they can "judge" who in this thread are sincerely motivated to help others and who aren't.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:angel:

And I stand by my Bono statement. He WOULD have a few choice words to say to some who have posted here - you can figure out for yourself who that might be! :bono: :up:

I just don't know why people can't find threads where they can be happy and post positive things - or do some people just post to tear down and destroy?

Jamila said:
I don't have to try to convince anyone of the truth I am speaking - all a fair-minded individual has to do is to read the way this thread was purposefully hijacked and they can "judge" who in this thread are sincerely motivated to help others and who aren't.

I, a fair-minded individual, have directed comments to both sides of this issue. Jamila, I so appreciate your inspiration and your drive to bring justice to Africa - but quite frankly - you are as judgmental as those you criticize.

People have a right to wonder what the point of the bracelet is. You would be much more productive to answer them with facts instead of insults. Don't take the thread hijacking personally. Everyone's threads get hijacked here and there - not just yours. If you want a thread of 100% agreement to everything you say, FYM isn't the place to get that.

If someone is out of line in their critiscizms to you, I'll always be there to support you - but please take a step back and stop asking for trouble by getting others riled up.

PS. I am in 100% agreement on helping with the emergency to bring justice to Africa, but I am not in 100% agreement of your opinions of those that don't get it yet. :)

i think we all wasted too much time debating if it was appropiate to wear the bands or not.

if i was suffering in an impoverish country and i saw wealthy americans debating on what color, type of wrist band to wear- while my family and countrymen were suffering and dying around me, i would somehow find the strength to slap the sh#t out of the nattering debators, and exhort them to send the f*cking aid or f/o.

how much time was ill spent on this thread?
how many ppl died while we debated?

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
James 1:22-25 (ESV)

Aug 08, 2004

peace,
db9

Last edited:
i find it funny how people, without naming names of course, plead with people to remain positive while slamming other people, without naming them, for having a disagreeing viewpoint. it makes me laugh.

i would like someone to point out in one thread where I, seeing as I don't care of the whole ribbon/bracelet thing, have criticized the poor or sick or whatever?

frankly, the only criticizing i see going on is by YOU, no names mentioned of course, telling me that i haven't done anything and don't care about people with aids, people in poverty, people with cancer just because i chose not to broadcast it to the world. you have no clue what i do, charity wise. and you will continue to have no clue, because it's no one's business but my own.

Last edited:
diamond said:
i think we all wasted too much time debating if it was appropiate to wear the bands or not.

if i was suffering in an impoverish country and i saw wealthy americans debating on what color, type of wrist band to wear- while my family and countrymen were suffering and dying around me, i would somehow find the strength to slap the sh#t out of the nattering debators, and exhort them to send the f*cking aid or f/o.

how much time was ill spent on this thread?
how many ppl died while we debated?

But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.
James 1:22-25 (ESV)

Aug 08, 2004

peace,
db9

Wow diamond, that was great! Go James! What does the Aug 8, 2004 stand for besides the Edge's BD?

My effort in this thread was to try to inspire people to look beyond the bracelet and to the emergency instead and to try and bring a truce to my friends here at fym. I hope I came across that way.

zooperson said:
la la la la la you're all being rediculous do de do la la!!!

:( There is a rational discussion going on here to and I would like to see that continued. I really hate feeling like I said something logical and it gets lost in the crap that has been going on. I'm NOT being ridiculous and I can spell the word right. :madspit:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
you have no clue what i do, charity wise. and you will continue to have no clue, because it's no one's business but my own.

please check out http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/

We don't want your money.

We want a little bit of your time and your passion, and together we can make poverty history.

Read back at my comments to nbc about charity. Charity isn't the solution. It's justice.

Charity isn't cutting it.

FYI....this is no joke.

This past Weds, I discovered a lump(a growth) on my back near my spine. I discovered it because it started to cause me great pain. It is actually fairly big (the size of a quarter) and protudes a bit. I do not know what it exactly is, but I am very concerned that it might be malignant.

I go on Tuesday to have it looked at by a doctor. Why do I tell you this?

Because I need to conserve my peace of mind and positive thoughts and being in this forum is contentious and does not bring me upliftment. And so, much to the happiness of many who have posted here, I will seldom be posting in this forum.

I have come to see over the months I have been in FYM that it is really not a place to exchange ideas but to exchange debate and sometimes insults. That is not the sort of threads that I prefer. I prefer dialogue that encourages each other, that inspires each other - that is seldom found in FYM.

To those who want to discount me, take a look at a recent thread here in FYM and see that it is possible to discuss an issue and not battle with each other:

http://forum.interference.com/t102315.html

I would particularly like for people to notice my posts in stars' thread and my posts in this one: when I am not attacked first, I don't attack. But when attacked, I DO attack back.

But continual negativity is not in my best interest and that is all I find in FYM.

So, I leave this forum for now to conserve my positive energy for myself and for those who truly appreciate me (and there are many people who do appreciate me, but I will not find them here).

I wish no one personal ill. I thank those few of you who have had the courage to stand up for my right to speak my mind and state my passion of over 30 years (Africa).

I hope those few of you will continue to put forward your ideas here, but I will tell you that you probably already know that persuading folks to rethink their positions is a losing proposition. I have precious time for losing propositions - maybe you will still have the energy to try to enlighten others here.

I will visit this thread no more - it doesn't exist to me anymore and I expect this thread to be filled with more dispersions on me and maybe some more jokes at my expense - so be it. It shows the underlying meanness in others that will always be there.

So, enjoy this last opportunity to tear me apart . It means nothing to me anymore - as does this forum.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Adios.

Jamila said:
FYI....this is no joke.

This past Weds, I discovered a lump(a growth) on my back near my spine. I discovered it because it started to cause me great pain. It is actually fairly big (the size of a quarter) and protudes a bit. I do not know what it exactly is, but I am very concerned that it might be malignant.

:hug: My thoughts and prayers will be with you and I hope everything turns out ok.

Jamila said:
So, I leave this forum for now to conserve my positive energy for myself and for those who truly appreciate me (and there are many people who do appreciate me, but I will not find them here).

I appreciate your positive energy and inspiration 100%. I don't agree with your opinions of others in this board.

Jamila said:
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Albert Einstein

Adios.

You have implied that we have mediocre minds here so you must go. That is simpily untrue Jamila. This is an example of when I don't agree with your opinions.

Everything Anne just said......:up:

You are in my prayers this morning Jamilla

Jamila said:

I've always respected your opinions, Jamila, but the arrogance of this statement amazes me. Nothing you have posted convinces me that you're any more intelligent than those you dismiss as "mediocre minds." All you've ever done is to restate arguments which have been made time and time again and to add in some insults and bullying for good measure.

In any case, truly great and intelligent people don't find it necessary to constantly remind others of their greatness.

Good luck for the future and I hope your health concerns will be quickly resolved.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I've always respected your opinions, Jamila, but the arrogance of this statement amazes me. Nothing you have posted convinces me that you're any more intelligent than those you dismiss as "mediocre minds." All you've ever done is to restate arguments which have been made time and time again and to add in some insults and bullying for good measure.

In any case, truly great and intelligent people don't find it necessary to constantly remind others of their greatness.

Good luck for the future and I hope your health concerns will be quickly resolved.

I must second this (and also BostonAnne's post above). While I certainly hope for the best for you healthwise and understand you have great passion for your cause Jamila, you do not help it one tiny bit with your insults and overweening arrogance.

You have the right to speak your mind, but you don't seem to feel others have that same right. You always manage to imply that if someone disagrees with with any aspect of your posts he or she is actively killing poor africans, or at the very least a poor excuse for a human being. That's not helping anyone, and I suggest you learn to encourage people instead of attacking them (and cut it with the all caps). Currently I imagine that there are a fair amount of people who do what I often do -- ignore your posts.

A fashionable flag pin worn by a politician, a magnet on a car, a braclet worn by a celebrity doesn't change a thing. The ribbons change colors but the causes are still there.

I don't give a shit about who's wearing what. The majority of those magnets you see on people's cars support whoever came up with the idea not the troops. I'm poor I can't give a lot of money but I do my thing, and that's all I have to give. PERIOD!

Jamila, just telling us we have "mediocre" minds isn't going to help matters any. We are people of very diverse opinions and mindsets. I hope your health problems work out. It's no fun being sick.

verte, no one ever accused you of anything - I have always had great friendship and respect for you.

and I want to thank, diamond, for his comments on this page - I actually think they were sincere and I hope the both of us can just "truce" .

The big issue is the saving of people's lives (maybe now my own) which is the only reason this thread was started. I don't want to spin wheels here and I hope no one else does either.

Let's just all get on with our lives and hopefully we can all find the best ways for ourselves to make our own contributions in this world.

Because every day....

6,000 more children are orphaned because of the AIDS pandemic.

29,000 children lose their lives to totally preventable causes like hunger, lack of clean water, lack of immunizations, etc.

6,500 Africans die of AIDS

9,000 Africans contract the HIV/AIDS virus.

Let's get back to working to improve their lives. :wink:

That's the only thing to me which is important. Love and Peace. :hug:

FYI for those of you interested in the bands Siobhan at the Make Poverty History Campaign informs me

"The campaign does not actually publicly launch until 1 January 2005, so the bands will be available from that point on. We will soon be including information on the website about where you can get the bands from so do please keep checking www.makepovertyhistory.org for updates on this and how you can get involved
in activities".

Back
Top Bottom