OF WHITE WRISTBANDS, BRAD PITT and ETHIOPIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And guys - diamond, nbcrusader (the U2 prayer team guy ), headache, BAW, please tell us what you all are doing to help those suffering from AIDS in the developing world?

Hey Jamila I know you do excellent work I know what you do and it's fantastic but just as we shouldnt have to prove where our motives are I don't think we should ask other people to prove what they have done. Everyone's different and everyone has their own reasons some are more private about what they do thats okay too the point is I don't think we should judge ANYONE for what we THINK they may or may not do or why they may or may not be involved.

The best you can do is give the facts and in the end people all have to decide for themselves

here is an interesting note a friend sent me a while back who is involved with DATA

"I just came from a think tank meeting with top notch political analysts and advisors who informed me that our elected officials see us (activists) as having unrealistic goals; and that we have no real understanding of the amount of time involved in getting legislature passed through the Senate and the House. Also, they said that, while our recent endeavors have gotten us much media attention; the media is focusing on our tactics and not on the issues behind these tactics. They advised that if we want to win this "war" we need to get the support of middle America and that they do not see any real evidence that we have achieved this.

Jamila said:
You know, it's our conservative naysayers in this thread who are the ones who consistently will challenge any comment I post here. Sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive to me.

For those of us who have shown interest in the wristbands here - stars, BostonAnne, Mrs, Springsteen, even U2democrat, are all women who are ACTIVELY INVOLVED in political and social change organizations (especially involving Global AIDS) so for anyone to insinuate that we would wear these wristbands to substitute for active involvement in Global AIDS organizations is ridiculous ....and the naysayers know it. :tsk:

And guys - diamond, nbcrusader (the U2 prayer team guy :lol: ), headache, BAW, please tell us what you all are doing to help those suffering from AIDS in the developing world?

Unless you are doing more than the rest of us here, you actually belittle your own viewpoints and make yourselves look silly! :yes:

Let's keep the discussion in FYM ELEVATED - let's talk seriously about issues and solutions of problems and not try to hijack threads because you don't like the poster.

That is just childish on your parts.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE DREAMING. IT'S WHAT YOU'RE GONNA DO.

http://www.data.org :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

eh hem.. eh heh hem...

sorry, needed to clear my throat...

NEENER NEENER NEENER NEENER... how's that for childish?

FYI... I have a Lance Armstrong "LiveStrong" bracelet... however I rarely wear it. I don't need to go around showing everyone in the world "hey look at me! i don't like cancer!" not that everyone who wears them is doing just that, but the things have gotten so popular that many wear them just as a fashion statement at this point.

also, i don't feel the need to roll up my sleeve juuuuust enough to show people that i shelled out a dollar for a yellow bracelet like certain dodgy politicians have been known to do.

i don't need to PROVE to ANYONE what i have done for charity... be that actuall hands on work, or be it donating money. i know what i've done, and i keep it to myself, close to my heart. i don't need to share with the world every good thing I've done in order to make me feel better about myself.

who you really are isn't measured by the good you do when everyone's looking, it's by the good you do when no one's looking.

oh... AND i love HOW keeping FYM "positive" involved DIRECTING personal attacks at THOSE who may DISAGREE with YOU.

Last edited:
jamila,
i rarely look who the author of threads are.
i didnt notice u were the author of this one.
i was given a view point and wasnt looking to take a swipe at your good works.
ok?
:)
peace,
db9

Last edited:
You cannot be a conservative or a republican and be an AIDS activist.:mad:

You cannot possibly practice acts of good work and charity if you are a conservative and a republican because the acts that you do do are ususally self-serving ones:ohmy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I fail to understand why people can point out how many ribbons ect. that we pin on ourselves is to be somehow translated into a personal attack on a member of this forum.

It is an observation and in my opinion a valid one. I also plan on getting myself one of these bracelets as soon as I can.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is through Grace and Grace alone that we receive the forgiveness of our Sins.........All of the charity we do that seves to elevate ourself above our neighbor and make us feel all superior is sinful in God's eyes. I feel that wearing these badges, while the intentions are wonderful, somehow feed into that. IMHO.

I am so sick of people in here questioning what others do for charity as if you have a view of anyone elses soul besides your own.

I agree Dreadsox. No offense Jamila - while I appreciate what you do and your kind words about me, I don't like singling people out like you did, in the way you did. I just don't see what warranted that. Maybe you took things personally that weren't meant that way. I don't want to assume or speak for you though :)

People here do far more than I do, and I don't question anyone's motives and or heart and soul when it comes to this issue, or what they do to better the world.

This thing about giving time being more important than money is really a silly thing to say, because you holding the hand of an AIDS victim won't do a single thing to further the research at all.

I don't mind Hollywood throwing money at causes, because the way I see it, we need Mary to bring home the bacon, which allows those of us who volunteer and work in the field to do so in an easier manner.

As for those on this forum who feel the need to pat themselves on the back while putting down others, they should be reminded that sort of attitude says a lot more about themselves than they may want people to know.

anitram said:
This thing about giving time being more important than money is really a silly thing to say, because you holding the hand of an AIDS victim won't do a single thing to further the research at all.

I don't mind Hollywood throwing money at causes, because the way I see it, we need Mary to bring home the bacon, which allows those of us who volunteer and work in the field to do so in an easier manner.

As for those on this forum who feel the need to pat themselves on the back while putting down others, they should be reminded that sort of attitude says a lot more about themselves than they may want people to know.

Best post yet.

Time, money, and awareness are all important in fighting poverty, disease -- virtually any cause. I don't think anyone who gives any of those very important things should be criticised.

So to those who criticised those who wear bracelets -- SLAP!

To those who criticised those who don't wear bracelets -- SLAP!

Each of us need to do what we can and we all need to stop being so damned concerned with what others are doing (or their possible motives).

indra said:

So to those who criticised those who wear bracelets -- SLAP!

To those who criticised those who don't wear bracelets -- SLAP!

Man I am going to wear a bracelet on one arm and none on the other....

Will you slap me twice....:flirt:

harder baby....yeah :cute:

Dreadsox said:

Man I am going to wear a bracelet on one arm and none on the other....

Will you slap me twice....:flirt:

harder baby....yeah :cute:

Ooohh! A man after my heart! :sexywink:

U2democrat said:
wow wristbands really are the new ribbons. there are also pink ones for breast cancer awareness. i want that and i want a white one now.
We sold the pink, yellow and I thought a red one at the store I work at. They absolutely blew out of the store and they don't know if they can get anymore. Everday customers come in looking for them. My boss bought a pink one for me.

:( Remember everyone - there's no them - there's only us....

The bracelets are good. Everyone that wears them will most likely think of the causes that they stand for more than they would if they didn't. Awareness is a good thing. Support is a good thing.

I don't agree that people should be private about their causes. Believing in something and working for something is healthy and good. Why hide it? (Boasting is another story however.:no:)

BostonAnne said:
[BBelieving in something and working for something is healthy and good. Why hide it? (Boasting is another story however.:no:) [/B]

That's the problem, there are a couple people here who cannot discuss their cause without boasting, horn tooting, preaching, and being judgemental and condescending to others. The worst thing is the sugar coated, sarcastic, vieled attacks covered by smilies. I am not the only person who feels this way. It does your cause no good to treat others like that.

U2Kitten said:

That's the problem, there are a couple people here who cannot discuss their cause without boasting, horn tooting, preaching, and being judgemental and condescending to others. The worst thing is the sugar coated, sarcastic, vieled attacks covered by smilies. I am not the only person who feels this way. It does your cause no good to treat others like that.

I understand what you are saying. I agree, it isn't helpful to drive people away from your ideas/beliefs with criticism and judgment. However, it goes both ways. Sometimes sincere and challenging comments are misinterpreted and insulted. I read the same posts and see someone that is on a set path to do good things to bring awareness to an emergency that is costing too many lives every day. So many times I see the rebuttals to the way the poster is trying to achieve support, but nothing to offer to the subject at hand.

In summary, I have seen both sides be overly judgmental to the other and hope that both sides will think twice before attacking the other party.

I also think that all parties involved should reflect on how to handle themselves better towards each other, take a step back and be more considerate. Come on, shake hands.... truce... please..

nbcrusader said:

You can wear all the stuff you want - it would be far better to send money to the organization in need.

Who is to say that by wearing that stuff, it isn't inspiring others to send money too and then the organization might have more money.

Not directed to nbc,

but what do you think of all the Patriotic stuff that has been sold since 9/11. The millions of flags for cars and now the "support our troops" ribbon magnets for cars to name a couple. Patriotic supplies are available year round now, not just around the 4th of July. Can this be compared to awareness bracelets?

I understand what you are saying. I agree, it isn't helpful to drive people away from your ideas/beliefs with criticism and judgment. However, it goes both ways. Sometimes sincere and challenging comments are misinterpreted and insulted. I read the same posts and see someone that is on a set path to do good things to bring awareness to an emergency that is costing too many lives every day. So many times I see the rebuttals to the way the poster is trying to achieve support, but nothing to offer to the subject at hand.

In summary, I have seen both sides be overly judgmental to the other and hope that both sides will think twice before attacking the other party.

I also think that all parties involved should reflect on how to handle themselves better towards each other, take a step back and be more considerate. Come on, shake hands.... truce... please..

BostonAnne that is an excellent post
:hug:

Last edited:
BostonAnne said:

Problem here is.......

It is a two way street.

The GOAL is not to ELEVATE yourself above others so that you feel superior to them.

If we are ONE but not the same, we can still work together, without insulting each other.

Example, I consider you to be a person who exemplifies this. we may not agree on our politics, butwe have ALWAYS treated each other with repect and you made me feel welcome in the fight against AIDS and POVERTY. You did not urge people to ignore me and hope that I would go away in the first thread that you did not politically agree with.

I fail to see how any of us who have felt the brunt of the veiled smiley attack, laced with religious superiority, laced with the I can attack you because I am better than you because of my charity work, laced with the impression that we are not worthy to criticize, laced with comments that republican charity helping oneself(END OF RUN ON) have not been tolorant. We are tired of it. :(

Dreadsox said:

Example, I consider you to be a person who exemplifies this. we may not agree on our politics, butwe have ALWAYS treated each other with repect and you made me feel welcome in the fight against AIDS and POVERTY. You did not urge people to ignore me and hope that I would go away in the first thread that you did not politically agree with.

I did not understand what that was all about and know your feelings were hurt. I miss your posts in the fight against AIDS and POVERTY and hope you continue again. I am very interested in hearing an update from you on your project for Church.

I totally agree that this is a two way street and meant ALL parties involved.

I think it is possible to have both symbolism and substance. I don't think one precludes the other. Just wearing a white bracelet in itself doesn't mean that much without action of some sort to go with it. If you go out and raise some sort of hell and are motivated by that white bracelet, then more power to you.

BostonAnne said:
Not directed to nbc,

but what do you think of all the Patriotic stuff that has been sold since 9/11. The millions of flags for cars and now the "support our troops" ribbon magnets for cars to name a couple. Patriotic supplies are available year round now, not just around the 4th of July. Can this be compared to awareness bracelets?

But, I will answer :wink:

This is an excellent example. When flags and ribbons began to appear after 9/11 and through the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, there were complaints from the anti-war crowd that their patriotism was brought into question - some even referenced the flags and ribbons. Ribbons and bracelets for these other causes fall in the same category.

Free speech means we can make our statements.

But frequently, with fad statements of support, a feeling of "if you are not with us (and wearing the appropriate ribbon, etc.), you are against us" is present. I've seen people essentially argue that they care more about a cause because they were wearing the right color-coded ribbon. It is this attitude, no matter what the underlying cause, I reject.

Just for the record, I put a flag symbol on my Tripod site right after 9/11, when they made it available for us to put on our sites for free. It's still there. To me it had nothing to do with partisan politics, just solidarity with all of the people that were suffering from the atrocity.

NuggetsBoykins1112.jpg

earl boykins wears one, and earl boykins is the man!

shrmn8rpoptart said:
NuggetsBoykins1112.jpg

earl boykins wears one, and earl boykins is the man!

:hmm: perhaps you're right...

look... here's kenyon martin wearing a white one AND a yellow one!!!
1.jpg

and hey! here's everyone's favorite pothead carmello anthony wearing a yellow one!
2.jpg

and here's mello again... wait a minute... what color is that band that's around his wrist?
3.jpg

and oh my... there's that light blue one again, this time on k-mart's wrist...
4.jpg

sorry to disapoint... but as someone who's been involved in basketball my whole life, first as a player, now as a coach, i can tell you that wearing a thick rubber band around one's wrist is a basketball fashion statement started by kevin garnett, who first started wearing it on the court so he could "snap" himself if he made a mistake. and as with everything, eventually it gets overplayed and overmarketed, to the point where the nba now has colored rubberbands to match each team's uniforms... as you can see, the denver nuggets colors are white, yellow and carolina blue.

here is the man who started the trend himself, kevin garnett, wearing a deeper blue band, which matches the color of his uniform...

kg.jpg

so while it's possible that the wee little lad earl boykins is wearing a "poverty band," i tend to doubt it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom