Obama should "stop acting like he's white"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
The Rev. Jesse Jackson called Tuesday on Democrats seeking the 2008 nomination for president to give S.C. voters “something to vote for” when they go to the polls in January.

On a statewide tour to register new voters, Jackson said South Carolina will determine “who has momentum” in the primary when it votes Jan. 29.

Jackson sharply criticized presidential hopeful and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama for “acting like he’s white” in what Jackson said has been a tepid response to six black juveniles’ arrest on attempted-murder charges in Jena, La. Jackson, who also lives in Illinois, endorsed Obama in March, according to The Associated Press.

“If I were a candidate, I’d be all over Jena,” Jackson said after an hour-long speech at Columbia’s historically black Benedict College.

“Jena is a defining moment, just like Selma was a defining moment,” said the iconic civil rights figure, who worked with Martin Luther King Jr. in the 1965 Selma civil rights movement and was with King at his 1968 assassination.

Later, Jackson said he did not recall making the “acting like he’s white” comment about Obama, stressing he only wanted to point out the candidates had not seized on an opportunity to highlight the disproportionate criminal punishments black youths too often face.

http://www.thestate.com/local/v-print/story/177514.html

i wonder if they'll make jackson appologiiiiiize...

1101_apology-727235.jpg

When did Jesse Jackson become the spokesperson for black people everywhere?

Whether or not it's a better place because of him has nothing to do with him telling Senator Obama to stop acting like he's white. I think that's pathetic and sad-and counterproductive.

do people believe this is true because they saw it on Drudge or Fox News?

perhaps one should check with what the Obama campaign and Jackson people are saying on the matter?

It's on Huffington Post and CNN and other sites too, I don't think it's any sort of right wing conspiracy. Of course he says he doesn't recall saying it, so maybe some people who were there will confirm or deny.

"Later, Jackson said he did not recall making the “acting like he’s white” comment about Obama, stressing he only wanted to point out the candidates had not seized on an opportunity to highlight the disproportionate criminal punishments black youths too often face."

deep said:
king-jes.jpg

7001.jpg

Is America a better place because of Jesse Jackson?

I think so.

jesse jackson has certainly done some great things for the civil rights movement throughout the years. but he has become increasingly irrevelant due to his inability to keep his foot out of his mouth.

not to mention the fact that he is someone who fights against racism, yet has said some incredibly anti-semeitc things over his career.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

not to mention the fact that he is someone who fights against racism, yet has said some incredibly anti-semeitc things over his career.

which always struck me as ironic, given american jew's very active participation in the civil rights movement.

Well it's like any minority group and/or group that is hated and discriminated against making anti-female comments, homophobic comments, etc. You would think those who are discriminated against would be far less likely to turn around and do that, but it's not always the case.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well it's like any minority group and/or group that is hated and discriminated against making anti-female comments, homophobic comments, etc. You would think those who are discriminated against would be far less likely to turn around and do that, but it's not always the case.

just look at the entire new york knick organization

Headache in a Suitcase said:
“If I were a candidate, I’d be all over Jena,” Jackson said after an hour-long speech at Columbia’s historically black Benedict College.

:lol: does he really mean to say that he's not (all over it)? Doesn't he get his nose in everything anyway?

and....is Obaman mixed race? 1/2 black and he's 1/2.......what else?

I thought his Mom was white...I could be totally wrong but I really think he's mixed.

CTU2fan said:
I thought his Mom was white...I could be totally wrong but I really think he's mixed.

yeah thats what I thought to.

Ok....so then Jesse Jackson.....Halle Berry should stop acting like she's all black! HA! there, how ya like them apples?!

She's mixed too and I remember a few years ago (yes I know this is off topic but I'm explaining my retort), she won one of the big awards for something and went on and on and ON about how wonderful this was for black women and all that. Now I'm not against that, but she's mixed too! HELLO???!!! If Obama wants to act white or....that just even sounds so stupid!!!! He is white. He's white and he's black. Get over yourself Jesse!!!

Just like Halle...she's black and she's white. Big whoop!

Why does Jesse Jackson ALWAYS have to make it about a color thing? hmmmmmmmmm? Let it go Jesse. Why not try to live with out the color lines?!

Kiki said:

yeah thats what I thought to.

Ok....so then Jesse Jackson.....Halle Berry should stop acting like she's all black! HA! there, how ya like them apples?!

She's mixed too and I remember a few years ago (yes I know this is off topic but I'm explaining my retort), she won one of the big awards for something and went on and on and ON about how wonderful this was for black women and all that. Now I'm not against that, but she's mixed too! HELLO???!!! If Obama wants to act white or....that just even sounds so stupid!!!! He is white. He's white and he's black. Get over yourself Jesse!!!

Just like Halle...she's black and she's white. Big whoop!

Why does Jesse Jackson ALWAYS have to make it about a color thing? hmmmmmmmmm? Let it go Jesse. Why not try to live with out the color lines?!

See I don't really see any issue with Halle Berry. Yes she's mixed but clearly she identifies herself as black, and I think people consider her black. Of course it goes back to racism and the Jim Crow days, and 1 drop of black blood = black...but that's where we are. It is ironic, in Obama's case, that he'd be criticized for not acting black when his ancestry is both black & white.

"I am pleased that the Louisiana state appeals court recognized that the aggravated battery charge brought in this case was inappropriate. I hope that today's decision will lead the prosecutor to reconsider the excessive charges brought against all the teenagers in this case. And I hope that the judicial process will move deliberately to ensure that all of the defendants will receive a fair trial and equal justice under the law," - Barack Obama, September 14.

"When nooses are being hung in high schools in the 21st century, it's a tragedy. It shows that we still have a lot of work to do as a nation to heal our racial tensions. This isn't just Jena's problem; it's America's problem," - Barack Obama, September 10.

Halle Berry is black, and she is whatever she wants to identify herself as-that's entirely her choice, and not ours, as far as I'm concerned. When you think about it that sort of talk starts to eventually lead to the point that we have with some people saying Senator Obama is "not black enough". Like he said, he's somehow always black enough when he's hailing a cab. Just like Halle Berry is black when she is still turned down for certain movie roles just for that reason-never openly stated of course.

i think that both Halle Berry and Obama would say that while they are black and white, society will treat them as black due to their physical features -- they both "look" identifiably african-american, and as such are going to have a harder time flagging a cab.

This is the same issue that always crops up. You have outspoken guys like Bill Cosby, outliers in the black community, telling everyone else to stop letting their kids embrace thug culture, get educated, pull themselves up by their bootstraps, et cetera. On the other side, you have a lot of the black community disliking being told what to do by a privileged celebrity.

I think Obama is in a similar situation. He's not being particularly preachy as Cosby is in public speaking engagements, but I think there's a similar dynamic at play here.

Irvine511 said:
i think that both Halle Berry and Obama would say that while they are black and white, society will treat them as black due to their physical features -- they both "look" identifiably african-american, and as such are going to have a harder time flagging a cab.

I don't think Halle would have much trouble.... :wink:

Though, I'm mixed race, I genrally identify as black. It's just easier that way.

To be honest, there's probably not an African American in America who isn't part white.

Back
Top Bottom