Obama General Discussion, vol. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolf Blitzer suggested Monday that President Obama's decision to go on "The View" will be "potentially a missed opportunity" to meet with foreign leaders.
Obama does not have bilateral meetings scheduled for the United Nations General Assembly this week, but will tape an episode of "The View" in New York on Monday. The administration has defended the decision, explaining that Secretary of State Clinton will meet with people.

Wolf Blitzer: Obama's 'View' Appearance Could Be 'Missed Opportunity' To Meet With World Leaders (VIDEO)

I have to agree with this. While it is true that we are weeks away from a major election, Obama is still the President of our country and he still has work to do with doing foreign relations with other world leaders. Just beause he's running for re-election doesn't mean that he stops being the President. I don't know who advised him on this, but I don't think it was very wise.

Wtf? Back slowly away from the baton and cheerleader outfit Madonna. At times like these I think about Elton John skewering her and I lmao. Well I do no matter what :D

Madonna Obama Black Muslim
Madonna called Obama a "black Muslim in the White House."

Madonna brought her MDNA Tour to Washington, D.C. on Monday night, and added a bizarre dose of politics to the show.

"Y'all better vote for f--king Obama, OK? For better or for worse, all right? We have a black Muslim in the White House. Now that's some amazing s--t," she said. "It means there is hope in this country. And Obama is fighting for gay rights, so support the man, goddamnit."

I was there. I didn't even hear "Muslim."

Pretty sure she was taking a dig at the birthers.

Was also the lamest part of the show. She was trying to sound all tough an gangster and it was just silly.

She doesuch better when shes mixing pop iconography and musical genres. The show was nicely dark and very high tech, and because its Madonna it came across like a Catholic rave.

Has anyone seen the latest Newsweek magazine cover? Andrew Sullivan is calling President Obama "The Democrat's Reagan". As much I as like Obama I don't know that the analogy fits. I don't see him winning in a landslide like Reagan did, and it's too soon to say if he's going to have the kind totemic reverence among Democrats that Reagan gets among Republicans.

I think Bill Clinton would be a better "Democrat Reagan."

I'm finding Newsweek increasingly lame and sensational.

Pretty sure she was taking a dig at the birthers.

I figured that-but taken out of context and by certain people....

Newsweek is behaving like Madonna-desperate to be relevant. I like Madonna but it isn't the 80's anymore. I guess that's her 2012 version of a sex book and burning crosses. It's like her in a cheerleader's outfit-silly and kinda embarrassing. And taking jabs at Lady Gaga (when she clearly just idolizes her)-just silly and makes her look catty and envious. Cue Elton-please, just please. Meowch.

I think that Bill Clinton and Franklin Delano Roosevelt have the best cases of being the Democratic Reagan. Of 20th/21st century Democratic presidents...

Woodrow Wilson: I like him a lot, but he's not that well known anymore, and he had racist tendencies (I like him for things other than his racist tendencies).
Franklin D. Roosevelt: The Great Keynesian. Massively important for American economic history, and World War II increases his historical prominence.
Harry S Truman: Fairly well regarded, but he tends to be overshadowed by FDR.
John F. Kennedy: Very well regarded, but he wasn't able to accomplish a whole lot before his assassination.
Lyndon B. Johnson: Vietnam.
Jimmy Carter: Not very well regarded.
Bill Clinton: President during an economic boom, and a time many Americans remember fondly. For better or for worse, generally a moderating force for the Democrats, which I think generally makes Republicans like him better than Democrats like Reagan. The Lewinsky scandal was unfortunate and not to his credit, but it doesn't seem to be marring his approval ratings nowadays.
Barack Obama: I like him a lot, but, unless things really pick up economically in the next four years (which I am not convinced of, under any president), I don't think people will remember 2009-2017 too fondly, and that will hurt Obama even among future Democrats.

Madonna said something shocking to get attention? GET MY SMELLING SALTS.

Everything she has done lately has just reeked of desperation.

That being said, I can't wait to see her in Seattle next week! :lol:

And taking jabs at Lady Gaga (when she clearly just idolizes her)-just silly and makes her look catty and envious.

YES. THIS.

Irvine, MrsS, and Cori summed up my thoughts on the Madonna thing (and I too like a lot of her music).

Besides that, like undecided voters are going to look to her to figure out who they'll vote for?

digitize, good summary of the Democratic presidents there. It's just too hard and too soon to predict how Obama will be looked at in history. Especially since some of the things he does now, or will do should he get his second term, may take years even beyond his time in office before we properly start seeing the results. It's not often people see the results of a president's actions immediately.

Ten years from now, if not longer, we'll be able to start better figuring out where he ranks among the Democrats. I hope he will be regarded among the best, I hope his second term is amazing in what it accomplishes. But I do think he will get some respectable consideration for what he did accomplish, even if it isn't as much as we hoped it would be.

corianderstem said:
That being said, I can't wait to see her in Seattle next week! :lol:

I'm not the hugest Madonna fan, at least not as gay guys go. I think LAP, EY, and Vogue are euphoric pop masterpieces. And I've admired how she really does dig in and embrace a less-mainstream-than-you'd-think deep dance sound. She can sing ok, dance pretty good, and is totally a star. But I find a lot of her tiresome and desperate.

But not this production. This is some cirque du Soleil level stuff. And some of the visuals (and the violence) are very challenging. This show doesn't care about the 45 year olds in the audiences dressed up for True Blue. She wants to be a performance artist, dammit, and she will see together the most hallucinogenic fever dream Catholic mass you'll ever pay $300 to see.

Have a great time.

"Like A Prayer" is my favorite Madonna song.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show overall, Irvine, and Cori, hope you have fun when you see her, too.

As for Obama, meant to say earlier, by the way, that I agree with Pearl on the whole "The View" thing. First and foremost because, you know, world leaders and all, kinda important.

And second, just 'cause, for cripes' sake, it's "The View" :p.

The View was the right way to go.

None of these world leaders can vote for him, especially with these new voter ID laws.

Woodrow Wilson: I like him a lot, but he's not that well known anymore

Now, now, I'm pretty sure everybody who grew up in the nineties knows who he is because of that Simpsons episode where Bart pranks Mrs Krabappel with love letters signed by "Woodrow", inspired by seeing a picture of Woodrow Wilson. :wink:

Such a d-bag! :kiss:

I was originally going for the cheap seats, but then friends asked if I wanted to go with them, and they were getting the mid-level seats, and it was worth the extra $$ to see it with a fun group. :)

Madonna clarifies Barack Obama 'Black Muslim' stage comment | Gigwise

Madonna clarifies Barack Obama 'Black Muslim' stage comment

Madonna has been forced to explain exactly what she meant when she called President Barack Obama a 'Black Muslim' whilst performing in America this week.

The debate became so serious that Madonna has subsequently released an official statement explaining her words. The statement reads: "I was being ironic on stage. Yes, I know Obama is not a Muslim - though I know that plenty of people in this country think he is. And what if he were?

"I was being ironic moronic on stage."

That's better.

Yes. Hell of a lot more offensive and stupid than whatever Madonna blathered about onstage. Especially since we have people who actually work in the government at its local, state, and federal levels who brought into that bullshit. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence and reassurance in me.

Ronald Reagan is to Barack Obama as U2 is to Milli Vanilli.

But Barack can actually sing, with a teleprompter anyway. . . :wink:

Anyway it's moot with you, no? You're a Republican. It's the "Democrat's Reagan". . . The question is whether Obama represents to Democrats what Reagan represents to Republicans. I would argue no. I think that title better fits Clinton (or FDR if you want to go back that far).

It's the "Democrat's Reagan". . . The question is whether Obama represents to Democrats what Reagan represents to Republicans. I would argue no. I think that title better fits Clinton (or FDR if you want to go back that far).

"Who the fuck is Ronald Reagan?" - FDR

But Barack can actually sing, with a teleprompter anyway. . . :wink:

Ronald Reagan is to Barack Obama as U2 is to Al Green?
Anyway it's moot with you, no? You're a Republican. It's the "Democrat's Reagan". . .

Reagan was destined to be the Democrat's Reagan at one time but he left the Democratic Party precisely because he foresaw the hard left turn that would one day produce a Barack Obama presidency.

The question is whether Obama represents to Democrats what Reagan represents to Republicans. I would argue no. I think that title better fits Clinton (or FDR if you want to go back that far).

If that's the premise I would agree with you 100%. To think otherwise is to think history began with the internet and cable TV. I would vote FDR a great president.

After four years of invective, four years during which the right has called President Obama a traitor, a communist, a fraud, an affirmative-action case, a terrorist-sympathizer and a tyrant, its shrillest voices have been reduced to the most primal insult of all. They are calling Obama’s mother a whore

With ‘Dreams From My Real Father,’ Have Obama Haters Hit Rock Bottom? - The Daily Beast

As the election heats up and anti-Obama messaging proliferates, a new film, Dreams From My Real Father, argues that Obama’s pop wasn’t Kenyan, but an African American member of the Communist Party USA

Obama and the Filmmaking Fringe-Right Conspiracists | Scoop News

:|

Seriously, people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom