Obama General Discussion, vol. 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention, while I agree that executive orders can be heavily abused and think a discussion of Obama's use of them in and of itself is fine, ever consider the fact that part of the reason Obama's doing this is because he's frustrated with Congress not bothering to agree on a damn thing anymore? Seriously, Congress hasn't done shit lately that's worthwhile, or if they have, it's only after everyone made a big fuss and shamed them into it. So I can understand a president saying, "Fuck it, you guys won't help me, I guess I'll have to try and get things moving myself."

There's also a difference between using the orders to actually get legitimate actions done and using them just because you can for the hell of it, too, so, yeah.

abcnews.com

Not a very smart thing to say, even in the full context. Talk about handing them a runaway soundbite.

By Jake Tapper
Did Obama Say, If Youve Got a Business, You Didnt Build That?

Conservatives have been jumping on comments President Obama made in Roanoke, Va., in which he said “if you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that.”

As an example, read what the Heritage Foundation posted at its blog that the comment was a “slap in the face to hard-working Americans conveyed Obama’s belief that it takes a village – a heavily subsidized village – to create that venture you’re profiting from.”

A Romney campaign spokeswoman told Fox the comment was “insulting” to small business owners.

The president’s argument, which is similar to one made by Massachusetts Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren, revolves around the idea that business people need the infrastructure provided by the government in order to succeed.

Here’s the full context of what he said:

" We’ve already made a trillion dollars’ worth of cuts. We can make some more cuts in programs that don’t work, and make government work more efficiently…We can make another trillion or trillion-two, and what we then do is ask for the wealthy to pay a little bit more …

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me, because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president – because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.”

Talk about creating a distraction out of nothing and taking this way out of context and blowing it out of porportion. Look at the shiney things over here....ewwwww pretty shiney things....

Could he have said that better sure, but come on.

The screaming headlines should be why Romney won't release his tax statements. Hiding something there Mitt?? I smell a rat.

I get his point, but the wordsmithing could use some work.

Elizabeth Warren said the same thing but worded it better:

“There is nobody in this country who got rich on their own. Nobody. You built a factory out there - good for you. But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory... Now look. You built a factory and it turned into something terrific or a great idea - God bless! Keep a hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.”

Elizabeth Warren is fantastic! I respect her so much! Yes, she said that very well. She needs to run for higher office after she wins her Senate seat in November! She will make a fantastic public servant with an actual moral code of conduct! ! Let's hear it for people that actually have a conscience and integrity! :applaud:

guys, Rush is here to put it all in perspective for us:

WARREN: I hear all this, "You know, well, this is class warfare. This is whatever." No! There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody! You built a factory out there? Good for you! But I want to be clear: You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You, uh, were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn't have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory and hire someone to protect against this because of the work the rest of us did.

RUSH: Now, a couple of interesting things about this. Let's look at roads, for example. Which came first, the paved road or the car? Well, which necessitated which? I would submit to you that the car came along, and then the government (and all of the people that really made this thing work) built the roads. What Obama and Elizabeth Warren want you to believe is that government is the center of everything, that government starts everything. And government doesn't. Government reacts.

It was the market that built cars.

It was somebody.

It was a bunch of people that built cars.

It was a bunch of people who invented the assembly line to make them efficiently and quickly. Government had nothing to do with it! The second point about this is, you know what this really is? This is a bunch of people that don't count. This is a bunch of people with miserable, meaningless lives who are lying to themselves; trying to tell themselves that they matter. So you had Mr. Big Factory Owner who is Mr. Big Business Guy and Mr. Wealthy in their view.

"Well, he didn't do it on his own! He couldn'ta done it without all of us. We built the roads and we built the regulations. W built the stoplights, and we built the trains!" Yeah? Well, if you did all that, how come you're sitting there with nothing? If you made it all happen, how come you've got nothing? "Well, the rich business guy stole it from me! We're the ones that actually made it all happen."

This is such a crock.

This is a bunch of meaningless people (who know that their lives don't account for anything) trying to matter, and coming up with this ridiculous philosophy that says, "Successful people have not done it on their own. Successful people only exist because of the nameless, faceless, real, true hard workers." You know, before Marx there was no such thing as class-driven economics. If that guy had been aborted, we'd have a whole different world today.

Here's Obama in Roanoke on Friday night...

OBAMA: Look, i-i-if you've been successful, you didn't get there on your own.

FOLLOWERS: That's right!

OBAMA: You didn't get there on your own. I'm always struck by people who think, "Well, it must be because I was just so smart!"

FOLLOWERS: (laughing)

OBAMA: There are a lot of smart people out there. "It must be because I worked harder than everybody else." Let me tell you something. There are a whole bunch of hardworkin' people out there!

FOLLOWERS: (cheers and applause)

OBAMA: If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help!

FOLLOWERS: Yeaaaaaah!

OBAMA: There was a great teacher somewhere in your life.

OBAMA: Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges! If you've got a business, you -- you didn't build that!

OBAMA: Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

RUSH: Yeah, well, you know who really invented the Internet? It was the military. It was a DOD project, and Obama hates that. But, folks, look. Here he is repeating it: Roads and bridges. The roads and bridges came after what was necessary, or what made the roads and bridges necessary. They came after that. I'll tell you what. I think it can now be said, without equivocation -- without equivocation -- that this man hates this country. He is trying -- Barack Obama is trying -- to dismantle, brick by brick, the American dream.

There's no other way to put this.

There's no other way to explain this.

He was indoctrinated as a child. His father was a communist. His mother was a leftist. He was sent to prep and Ivy League schools where his contempt for the country was reinforced. He moved to Chicago. It was the home of the radical-left movement. He hooks up to Ayers and Dohrn and Rashid Khalidi. He learns the ruthlessness of Cook County politics. This is what we have as a president: A radical ideologue, a ruthless politician who despises the country and the way it was founded and the way in which it became great.

He hates it.

I try to not let political stuff seriously anger me too much, but that infuriates me.

country. He is trying -- Barack Obama is trying -- to dismantle, brick by brick, the American dream.

Yes, having achieved it, he wants to kill it for the rest of us.

His father was a communist.

I thought he was a Muslim?

He was sent to prep and Ivy League schools where his contempt for the country was reinforced.

Like George Bush and Mitt Romney?

He moved to Chicago. It was the home of the radical-left movement.

Whaaaa happened to San Francisco??

God, Rush, just shut up already.

Yeah, anyone reading Obama's quote in its proper context knows full well what he meant, and whom he was referring to (i.e., he wasn't insulting your average small business owners and people who work hard at businesses everyday).

Sheesh, people.

I have absolutely no issue with what Obama said or how he chose to phrase it. It is shameful that a sentence or two ripped out of context is being used to attack him that way, and it's ridiculous that he has to be that careful about his phrasing. There is no substantive or stylistic difference in what he and Warren said. The only difference is she didn't say the exact words "You didn't build that."

according to Elton John, who actually does know Rush, it's really all act. he's in it for the money.

i'm just saying.

Source?

Not that I don't believe you, but it would be interesting to read that.

What difference does it make if it's an act or not? Vile is vile.
Oh but wait I keep forgetting, the far right wants us to believe black is white, up is down and hate is ok if there is black guy in the white house.

Yep, you nailed it. The only reason I dislike President Obama's spending, overstepping of executive powers, growth of government, and petty politicking is because he's a black man. I wondered when someone would figure this out. Good job.

Yep, you nailed it. The only reason I dislike President Obama's spending, overstepping of executive powers, growth of government, and petty politicking is because he's a black man. I wondered when someone would figure this out. Good job.

You know what I wonder? Why those on the right didn't dislike Bush's spending, overstepping executive powers, growth of government and petty politicking?

And why don't you dislike Romney's? Well he hasn't had a chance to overstep federal executive powers, but everything else he's proven, so give him time, right?

Here's what I don't get. The formation of the Tea Party and the hatred towards Obama started well before he even enacted anything. Why is that? How come the first Tea Party rally was being held on Tax day of Obama's first year? Why did they wait to protests Bush's policies after he got out of office, but why were they choosing to make their hateful signs about Obama instead of Bush?

I think if you were being honest with yourself you know the answers. Maybe not you, but a good portion of the right are hating not based on policy. Even Glenn Beck said himself during the primaries that if the right chose to rally behind Romney he had to wonder if it was based on race this whole time(of course he's chosen to ignore that statement now :shrug:).

What difference does it make if it's an act or not? Vile is vile.

Seriously. Although I'd say doing it for money, knowing that most people do not get it's a schtick, and supposed to be (apparently) "entertainment," makes it even more vile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom