Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #141
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
look where mindless austerity gets you:
Just curious, other than defense spending is there any budgetary reduction you don't label "mindless austerity"?

Quote:
all this despite all efforts by the GOP to keep the unemployment rate high by slashing public sector jobs.
all this despite all efforts by the Democrats to keep the unemployment rate low by throwing stimulus money at public sector jobs.

Quote:
mindless slashing due to deficit panic is bad policy.
Oh, sometimes it's "mindless slashing."

Quote:
, but we're certainly better off than we were on January 19, 2009.
Better off in that we're 1191 days closer to the end of this presidency.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #142
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

No faith in Mittens?

To be fair, I don't think that it's fair to imply that "mindless austerity" is the only thing contributed to the double dip recession. The double dip is part of what defines a deleveraging cycle - a long and painful process where growth is weak.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Just curious, other than defense spending is there any budgetary reduction you don't label "mindless austerity"?
i'd love a simplification of the tax code especially when it comes to deductions that only the wealthy can capitalize on.

we agree on the retirement age.

most things related to social services are bare boned at this point, and couldn't be pared down without harming the most vulnerable -- the poor, children, women, the disabled, and the elderly. and it's not like they get a whole lot of money anyway.

Quote:
all this despite all efforts by the Democrats to keep the unemployment rate low by throwing stimulus money at public sector jobs.

why do you hate public sector jobs? are they not jobs? are they not ways to keep people employed so they can buy shit at Wal-Mart?

Quote:

i look forward to either Hillary or Cuomo in '16.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #144
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
I'm ticked because I thought I made a good point with the gas prices. You listed "higher gas prices" under a list of Obama's failed economic policies, and I pointed out that criticism is flawed because all policies that lower gas prices are not necessarily good policy. Case in point, the financial crisis. And using it as a simple metric for evaluating the economy is also flawed, because gas prices will increase if demand increases- i.e, if the economy is actually doing well and expanding. It's even bad from a geopolitical standpoint, as praising the American government for lowering prices encourages policies that prop up "stable" Middle Eastern dictators!
Sorry you feel neglected. I don't have time to "answer" to everyone here. There's me, Indy500 who might share a similair opinion. And then theres everyone else. And im only here because of injury. I usually don't post in here when the weather is nice.

Quote:
Your only response was to ignore that and jump to different topics; the housing market and the national debt. If you refuse to engage in any form of actual discussion about your posted views, then I hardly see it as a loss to place me on your ignore list.

INDY, I see your post and will get to it.
Fair enough, as you wish.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #145
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
this guy is such a nerd.
who?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
No, sorry, you HAVE to look at what happened in the past to try and figure out why things are going the way they are now. We need to look at how the Bush administration handled the economy-
BUSH is not running
BUSH is not running
BUSH is not running

I really dont see why this is so hard?

Quote:
I really am getting tired of the "too lazy to work" stuff that people keep coming up with. Seriously. I know there are some people who fit that description, but how many times do I have to explain that not everyone is like that? You remember my posts about my family from recent pages, right, how we didn't fit that stereotype of people on welfare you seem to keep repeating constantly? Please stop with that insinuation, because it's really getting beyond insulting.
Of course i remember your earlier posts. And I told you then and i will tell you again, im not talking about YOU or YOUR family. I thought we cleared that up. Still, the problem remains, it deserves to be mentioned.

I dont have time to respond to anything else as you have written a very long post. Im just saying that right now to get it out there, please dont be offended.

Take care
Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #147
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Durable Goods Demand Plummets in March

Quote:
Durable Goods Demand Plummets in March

A new report from the Department of Commerce today showed that demand for durable goods declined drastically in March:

New orders for manufactured durable goods in March decreased $8.8 billion or 4.2 percent to $202.6 billion, the U.S. Census Bureau announced today.

Inventories once again hit a new all-time high in March:

Inventories of manufactured durable goods in March, up twenty-seven consecutive months, increased $1.7 billion or 0.4 percent to $375.1 billion. This was at the highest level since the series was first published on a NAICS basis and followed a 0.3 percent February increase. Transportation equipment, also up twenty-seven consecutive months, had the largest increase, $0.8 billion or 0.7 percent to $118.0 billion. This was also at the highest level since the series was first published . . .

As the Washington Dispatch reported last month, the excess of inventories over orders continues to show that the U.S. economy remains exposed to the risk of a "double-dip" recession:

Old 04-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #148
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Right Direction or Wrong Track - Rasmussen Reports™

Quote:
Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Twenty-nine percent (29%) of Likely U.S. Voters say the country is heading in the right direction, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey taken the week ending Sunday, April 22.

This finding is up two points from last week and back to the level found for the previous three weeks.
29% say we're heading in the right direction, 63% say we're heading on the wrong track.

WoW..very impressive numbers.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #149
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
BUSH is not running
BUSH is not running
BUSH is not running

I really dont see why this is so hard?
Do you think that, given the state of our economy in 2008/9, you could realistically expect a president to completely turn everything around? Particularly when that president has to deal with an opposition party that has all but stated (but then, some members have even plainly stated) that their #1 goal is to defeat the president and oppose anything that would look like a victory for him?

Is it possible that, just like these supposed Obama supporters who you deride as having completely bought into the hype of hope and change, that you are holding Obama to higher standards than reality could ever hope to achieve?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 AM   #150
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
who?
barry obama.

i suppose i have to vote for him again, because he's a better option than dog shit... and being a nerd or not is not a reason to vote or not vote for somebody... but, yea. this "cool guy obama" thing is such an act. he's an uber geek.

i've thought this for a while... his attempt at slow jamming the news only confirmed it.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #151
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i'd love a simplification of the tax code especially when it comes to deductions that only the wealthy can capitalize on.

we agree on the retirement age.
So far so good.
Quote:
most things related to social services are bare boned at this point, and couldn't be pared down without harming the most vulnerable -- the poor, children, women, the disabled, and the elderly. and it's not like they get a whole lot of money anyway.
Oh, oh.
The claim is always that nothing can be cut even as spending is going up. Food stamps, Medicaid, Disability and Unemployment comp have all EXPLODED in the past few years and seriously?, nothing can be cut? The same claim was made about Welfare Reform in the 90's, that children would be sold into slavery, families would turn to cannibalism and all that. But funny thing, I don't remember that at all. In fact, aren't we now told that the Clinton presidency was a golden time in American history? So let's go back to Clinton era domestic spending?

Quote:
why do you hate public sector jobs? are they not jobs? are they not ways to keep people employed so they can buy shit at Wal-Mart?
Wal-Mart pays their employees from their profits, the government pays it's employees from taxes.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #152
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Wal-Mart pays their employees from their profits, the government pays it's employees from taxes.
I guess we need more for-profit highways?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #153
Blue Crack Supplier

Pave your own damn roads then, Indy, an print your own money and test your own food.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #154
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

why don't you come to DC and visit our apartment. you can then repo all our fancy furniture these two sodomites have purchased with YOUR TAXES! it's like WE'RE STEALING FROM YOU! BECAUSE A GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE WITH AN ADVANCED DEGREE AND A STERLING WORK ETHIC IS DOING WORK THAT HELPS THE GOVERNMENT FUNCTION AND PROTECTS YOU FROM BEING BLOWN UP BY TERRORISTS AND YOU'RE HAVING TO GODDAMN PAY FOR IT ALL BY YOURSELF WITH YOUR TAXES!!!

(my entirely private sector job is better paid, though )
Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Do you think that, given the state of our economy in 2008/9, you could realistically expect a president to completely turn everything around? Particularly when that president has to deal with an opposition party that has all but stated (but then, some members have even plainly stated) that their #1 goal is to defeat the president and oppose anything that would look like a victory for him?

Is it possible that, just like these supposed Obama supporters who you deride as having completely bought into the hype of hope and change, that you are holding Obama to higher standards than reality could ever hope to achieve?
Diemen, im not going to deride anyone. Everyone has the choice to vote for whom they want to and i support that. I can and will be happy to live with the end result...whatever that is.

I think it would be much more realistic to have *completely* turned everything around if Mr. Obama wasn't throwing away money to wall street and keeping people addicted to social programs and govt handouts, instead of pursuing class warfare and keeping the job producers overseas. He knows who his base is, and he's pandered to them quite well. They know that at least if he's in office they are going to get those "Obama bucks".

And besides, he said he was going to turn this around. He said we would see change within a year, and if he didnt get it done in 3 years then it would be a one term proposition. Its what he ran on....so you doubt him?

Maybe i would take him more seriously if he weren't constantly golfing or appearing on late night talk shows, or partying with college students on the govt dime. Meanwhile real people are hurting.....and even those of us that aren't....our agency is so broke we can't even buy paper for our copy machines and the weeds outside of our building are only getting cut once a quarter instead of once a week. How's that for a prize military installation?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #156
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Diemen, im not going to deride anyone. Everyone has the choice to vote for whom they want to and i support that. I can and will be happy to live with the end result...whatever that is.

I think it would be much more realistic to have *completely* turned everything around if Mr. Obama wasn't throwing away money to wall street and keeping people addicted to social programs and govt handouts, instead of pursuing class warfare and keeping the job producers overseas. He knows who his base is, and he's pandered to them quite well. They know that at least if he's in office they are going to get those "Obama bucks".

And besides, he said he was going to turn this around. He said we would see change within a year, and if he didnt get it done in 3 years then it would be a one term proposition. Its what he ran on....so you doubt him?

Maybe i would take him more seriously if he weren't constantly golfing or appearing on late night talk shows, or partying with college students on the govt dime. Meanwhile real people are hurting.....and even those of us that aren't....our agency is so broke we can't even buy paper for our copy machines and the weeds outside of our building are only getting cut once a quarter instead of once a week. How's that for a prize military installation?

And maybe some of us would take you more seriously if you stopped using the same old song and dance of "keeping people addicted to govt handouts", "Obama Bucks", and "class warfare" and actually engaged us like an adult.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
barry obama.

i suppose i have to vote for him again, because he's a better option than dog shit... and being a nerd or not is not a reason to vote or not vote for somebody... but, yea. this "cool guy obama" thing is such an act. he's an uber geek.

i've thought this for a while... his attempt at slow jamming the news only confirmed it.
I guess it just depends on your definition of "nerd"

I went to school with guys like him, ive served with guys like him, they were some of the funnest people to be around. So i wouldn't call him a nerd. He's a very gifted speaker and a very charismatic person....personally id love to meet the guy and have a beer or discuss things other than politics (once he's out of office).

As far as dogshit goes, we obviously are going to disagree on that, since this administration has taken over we have class warfare and racial division much more prominent on the national scene than anytime i can remember in my life. That's not the hope and change i was hoping for.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #158
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:

You are giving far too much weight to these Obama bucks people.

Quote:
Here's some of the change I've seen that I appreciate: the worst recession in 80 years was halted, and we were able to recoup pretty much all of the money given to the banks. The auto industry, which many Republicans (including the presumptive presidential nominee) said should be allowed to fail, is now flourishing. Our troops are out of Iraq. America has been a very vocal supporter of the Arab Spring, but hasn't tried to insert itself into every uprising. Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed, allowing gay men and women to serve our country without having to lie about who they are. And it was done so in a responsible way that had buy in from the top brass. More and more states are granting equal rights to homosexuals. Bin Laden is dead.

Now granted, he hasn't turned everything around, but if you took "change" to mean "everything that was wrong will be fixed" - well, that's your problem, not mine. You also didn't address the portion of my question that mentions that he's working with an opposition party that is very vocal about opposing everything he proposes. In some way I'm actually surprised at how much he has been able to accomplish given the atmosphere in Washington.

Quote:
Maybe i would take him more seriously if he weren't constantly golfing or appearing on late night talk shows, or partying with college students on the govt dime.
Oh, come on. Do you really believe that Obama isn't working his ass off?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #159
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
As far as dogshit goes, we obviously are going to disagree on that, since this administration has taken over we have class warfare and racial division much more prominent on the national scene than anytime i can remember in my life. That's not the hope and change i was hoping for.
You're blaming the racial division on Obama??
Old 04-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnie Shavers View Post
No, of course the US would *want* it back, but there's absolutely no reason why Iran *have* to give it back. Illegally flying into Iranian airspace and crashing a machine purpose built for only spying on Iranian soil isn't the same as accidentally kicking a ball into your neighbours yard. Remember also that Iran don't say it crashed, they say they shot it down, and they have every right in the world to do that too.

But yes, the resulting diplomatic mess and decision on what to do about getting it back do go to the President. Perhaps the decision was that it's not actually worth whatever Iran would likely want in return, especially with everything else in regards to Iran at the moment?
I suppose they could keep the drone as a trophy and some sort of moral victory for their regime. Or they could sell it to the Russians, Chinese. Or just have it reverse engineered and use it to spy on and possibly harm Americans.

No of course they don't have to give it back. Just like we don't have to persuade Israel not to attack them either. I forget, what was the good option again?