Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #441
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Obama Boy - I Have A Crush On Obama - YouTube
__________________

MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #442
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500

I'll compare them because we all have debt crises being compounded by a lack of political courage and looming demographic challenges in the near future.
So why should the middle class and poor bear responsibility for this debt crisis?
__________________

Irvine511 is online now  
Old 06-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #443
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Because they aren't job creators. Duh.
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 04:14 PM   #444
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BigMacPhisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,313
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Or, at least, they don't call themselves "job creators" which is more important than actual job creation.
BigMacPhisto is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #445
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 01:21 PM
We might as well just name the upper class "The Job Creators," since you don't have to create any jobs to be called a job creator. You just have to have a lot of money sitting in a bank.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #446
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 01:21 PM
i don't see why tax cuts on the rich should be funded by service cuts for the poor.

how is that not "class warfare" on poor people?
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 06-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #447
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
So why should the middle class and poor bear responsibility for this debt crisis?
Is it me or do believe the economy revolves around government spending? More of it benefits the middle class and "stimulates" the economy while less of it is "austerity" and harms the middle class.

I share your concern for the middle class and poor but my prescription isn't "trickle down government." What's my right-wing extremist answer?, well I have a feeling you won't care for it.

Do you share your concern about the middle class and poor when it comes to this president's harmful energy policies? Putting his environmental campaign donors ahead of cheaper energy by delaying the Keystone Pipeline and his EPA's attacks on the coal industry. Yeah, middle class coal workers in Kentucky and W Virginia are quite enamored with this president aren't they? If only they understood how much better they are receiving a check from Obama rather than some coal company right? One of the few economic bright spots during this recession (other than the housing industry around Washington D.C. ) has been the natural gas industry via fracking. Guess what the EPA has in its sights next? Guess what the cumulative effect of all this is on the energy bills of the middle class and poor?

Do you share that concern for the middle class and poor when Republicans are said by this president to "want dirtier air and dirtier water" for simply telling the truth that excessive government regulations are choking small businesses and driving manufacturing from this country? The same goes for promoting a business tax code that would lower rates for businesses and incentivize the return of off-shore profits and capital formation. Just more "tax breaks for the rich" right?

Finally, how do you rectify your concern for the middle class and poor while supporting a president that wants to grant amnesty to illegal aliens and whose Justice Dept actively sues states trying to rein in illegal immigration. Do you not understand that an unchecked flow of unskilled labor depresses wages in those industries and costs Americans jobs? That an unchecked flow of poor illegal immigrants floods the basic government and private services most utilized by the middle class and poor?

What's the best thing that could happen for the middle class and poor in this country? Barack Obama losses his job this year.
And I bet I'm right about you not caring for my answer.
INDY500 is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #448
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
We might as well just name the upper class "The Job Creators," since you don't have to create any jobs to be called a job creator. You just have to have a lot of money sitting in a bank.
A lesson on banking for Philly courtesy of George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life.



Quote:
"No, but you're thinking of this place all wrong, as if I have the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Well, your money's in Joe's house, that's right next to yours. And in the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Makelin's house, and a hundred others. You're lending them the money to build, and then they're going to pay it back to you as best they can. Now, what're you going to do, foreclose on them?"
INDY500 is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #449
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,715
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it fracking that's leading to people's water in their sinks catching on fire? Or something related to the natural gas stuff is doing that? I fail to see exactly how that benefits anyone.

Also, what exactly do the business people who complain about the government regulations consider "excessive" about said regulation?

And in the towns I've lived in, any immigrant populations who live there tend to work in the service industry at fast food places or your local department stores or something. Lower-paying jobs, jobs that aren't exactly "Ooh! Aah!" types of work. It often either seems to be immigrants, or older people, or high school/college kids looking for part-time work doing those jobs. Most people who aren't in one of those three groups aren't working those jobs because they're shooting for something "better". But if they spend all that time looking for that perfect job instead of just bucking up and taking the low-paying, not so glamorous job, then they can't really complain if, while they're looking elsewhere, someone else comes in and takes the job they're not interested in until the time comes when they have no other choice BUT to look into that kind of work.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #450
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Is it me or do believe the economy revolves around government spending? More of it benefits the middle class and "stimulates" the economy while less of it is "austerity" and harms the middle class.

I share your concern for the middle class and poor but my prescription isn't "trickle down government." What's my right-wing extremist answer?, well I have a feeling you won't care for it.

Do you share your concern about the middle class and poor when it comes to this president's harmful energy policies? Putting his environmental campaign donors ahead of cheaper energy by delaying the Keystone Pipeline and his EPA's attacks on the coal industry. Yeah, middle class coal workers in Kentucky and W Virginia are quite enamored with this president aren't they? If only they understood how much better they are receiving a check from Obama rather than some coal company right? One of the few economic bright spots during this recession (other than the housing industry around Washington D.C. ) has been the natural gas industry via fracking. Guess what the EPA has in its sights next? Guess what the cumulative effect of all this is on the energy bills of the middle class and poor?

Do you share that concern for the middle class and poor when Republicans are said by this president to "want dirtier air and dirtier water" for simply telling the truth that excessive government regulations are choking small businesses and driving manufacturing from this country? The same goes for promoting a business tax code that would lower rates for businesses and incentivize the return of off-shore profits and capital formation. Just more "tax breaks for the rich" right?

Finally, how do you rectify your concern for the middle class and poor while supporting a president that wants to grant amnesty to illegal aliens and whose Justice Dept actively sues states trying to rein in illegal immigration. Do you not understand that an unchecked flow of unskilled labor depresses wages in those industries and costs Americans jobs? That an unchecked flow of poor illegal immigrants floods the basic government and private services most utilized by the middle class and poor?

What's the best thing that could happen for the middle class and poor in this country? Barack Obama losses his job this year.
And I bet I'm right about you not caring for my answer.

if you think it's environmental regulations that's causing the shrinking of the middle class, then you've truly got all the wrong enemies.

if you're so concerned about DC housing prices, go talk to your GOP lobbyists who are driving up prices making a $450K 1-bedroom in Logan Circle sound like a bargain.
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 06-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #451
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
A lesson on banking for Philly courtesy of George Bailey in It's A Wonderful Life.

The Savings and Loan was over-leveraged.

Should have been more tightly regulated, INDY
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #452
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131 View Post
Should have been more tightly regulated, INDY
Again your knee-jerk reaction is a call for bigger more intrusive government.

No government meddling is needed when a simple company policy against nepotism will do the trick.

INDY500 is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #453
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
No government meddling is needed when a simple company policy against nepotism will do the trick.
And up until Obama came along companies were doing this. Up until then we could trust companies to regulate themselves, we could trust them not to cut corners, we could trust them to do the right thing. Right?

I miss the good ole days too. The days when corporations were people too...
BVS is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #454
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
For an author who has specialised in giving us such graphic pictures of the "other" America, from its underbelly to its dark margins, has Barack Obama's bright new administration led to a change in his inner landscape, I ask, or even the outer landscape – the America he sees around him? "The world of American politics is more contentious than it has ever been in my lifetime," he says, in an explanation that sounds as much a description of his characters as the national psyche. "Obama's campaign was built on vilifying Bush republicans. Anything that starts out with hatred, contempt and vilification... I think America is just so in love with conflict. People could disengage from it in an instant, but we have an addiction to high levels of engagement with it that always keeps us in battles. It's a game we play."
Chuck Palahniuk: 'I shy away from non-consensual violence' - Features - Books - The Independent
financeguy is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #455
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,715
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Again your knee-jerk reaction is a call for bigger more intrusive government.

No government meddling is needed when a simple company policy against nepotism will do the trick.
Yes. That will clearly solve the problem.

Seriously?
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #456
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Seriously?
It's a movie !!
INDY500 is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #457
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 01:21 PM


No doubt Mittens and the other Republicans will be lining up soon to thank Obama for the lower gas prices. Analysts are predicting they'll hit less than $3/gallon by the fall.

Since it was his fault that gas prices soared, must be now that it's a stunning achievement.

No?
anitram is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #458
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 12:21 PM
Where is Mrs G?
BVS is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #459
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 11:21 AM
Average gas prices--January 26, 2009

Quote:
Average gas prices--January 26, 2009

Regular gasoline/gallon $1.84
Just to put $3.44 in perspective.
INDY500 is offline  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:22 PM   #460
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 10:21 AM
That can't be right, can it? I know time moves fast, but I would swear on my .... uh .... my U2 bootleg collection that gas has not been that cheap since ... god, I can't even remember when it was below $2.50.

And here in the PNW, we're typically well above the national average. That chart says west coast $2.06 and even that seems unbelievable to me.

Do I just have a crappy memory? That was only 3 years ago and that just seems so ... well, wrong!
__________________

corianderstem is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×