Obama General Discussion, vol. 4 - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #261
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 10:30 AM
but for a reason to vote for Obama in 2012?

any real deficit hawk and law and order conservation should stand up and applaud this

Quote:
Medicare fraud crackdown leads to charges against 107
By Richard A. Serrano / Tribune Washington Bureau | Thursday, May 3, 2012 | Home - BostonHerald.com | Healthcare


WASHINGTON - Doctors, nurses and social workers from across the country, 107 in all, were charged in what federal officials in Washington called a "nationwide takedown" of medical professionals accused of fraudulently billing Medicare nearly half a billion dollars.

The amount of bogus Medicare claims, about $452 million, was the highest in a single raid in the history of a federal strike force combating rising fraud in the medical industry, according to the Justice Department. Arrests were made in seven major cities.

The Obama administration said it was toughening its attack on those who file bills for ambulance rides never taken and medical procedures never provided.

In addition, officials in the Health and Human Services Department suspended or took other administrative actions against 52 medical providers after analyzing billing requests and finding additional "credible allegations of fraud."

Assistant Attorney General Lanny Breuer, head of the Justice Department’s criminal division, said the arrests, fourth in a series of Medicare fraud takedowns over the last two years, served as another warning to future scammers.

"Medicare is an attractive target for criminals," Breuer said, even as prosecution and jail time is risked with every false claim.

"If you don’t believe it," he said, "ask Lawrence Duran, the former owner of a mental health care company in Miami who was sentenced last year to 50 years in prison. Or his two co-owners, each of whom was sentenced to 35 years."

Of the 107 defendants in the latest crackdown, 87 were arrested Wednesday. Federal agents were either still looking for the others or expecting them to surrender voluntarily.

The cities involved were Miami; Tampa, Fla.; Houston; Baton Rouge, La.; Los Angeles; Detroit; and Chicago.

In the Los Angeles area, eight people, including two doctors, were charged with fraudulently billing about $20 million for services never provided.

Bolademi Adetola, owner of health care equipment provider Latay Medical Services in Gardena, Calif., was charged with billing Medicare for power wheelchairs that were never purchased. Greatcare Home Health in Los Angeles allegedly paid kickbacks to recruiters to find "patients" who were perfectly fine, and then have doctors knowingly write phony prescriptions for them.

Dr. Augustus Ohemeng and Dr. George Tarryk, who treated patients at the Pacific Clinic in Long Beach, Calif., were among four individuals who allegedly billed falsely for feeding tubes for patients who did not need them.

None of the defendants or their lawyers could be reached for comment.

The Obama administration has stepped up efforts to combat fraud in the Medicare program, which provides health coverage to about 50 million elderly and disabled Americans.

Last year the federal government charged 1,430 people with health care fraud, up from 797 in 2008, according to the Health and Human Services Department. The agency also reported revoking the eligibility of more than 60,000 Medicare and Medicaid providers and suppliers and recovering $4.1 billion in fraudulent claims.

Although there is broad agreement that fraud is widespread in Medicare and Medicaid, estimates of the scope of the program vary from $20 billion a year to $100 billion. Total spending on Medicare and Medicaid is expected to reach about $1 trillion this year.

Louis Saccoccio, chief executive of the National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association, said the latest round of arrests was encouraging and reflected the intensified efforts by the government to combat fraud, especially since 2009.

He said he was most pleased to see that Health and Human Services had stopped payments to 52 providers by using new tools to analyze data and detect potentially fraudulent charges.

The system, which was set up by the health care law President Barack Obama signed two years ago, relies on a computer program to identify patterns of potentially fraudulent charges by providers. "That really has the promise to be a game-changer," he said. "In the future, what you will see is the real impact is going to come from preventing fraud."

Visit Tribune Co. at Los Angeles Times - California, national and world news - latimes.com
__________________

deep is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #262
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep
his supporters can't have it both ways, touting the books as credible reasons to give him the nomination and now saying 'not factually correct' does not matter.
I haven't met many of these people, but honestly I think that most people understand that biographies and autobiographies use artistic license. Those people also understand the difference between license and lies.
__________________

BVS is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #263
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 01:30 PM
The Medicare story is great
BVS is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #264
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
on that ^ topic

1. I don't care

2. does it matter? well, I could go back four years in here and show you several places where when I suggested that Hillary Clinton was the best candidate several of his more ardent supporters told me his life story counted as life experience that made him qualified to be president, they kept asking me if I had read his autobiography, that if I only read that, I would have a true picture of who he was and what he had been through

his supporters can't have it both ways, touting the books as credible reasons to give him the nomination and now saying 'not factually correct' does not matter.
1. I was simply stating that I'd rather read about his love life as a 22 year old than the head scratching stuff that's been going on in this thread. It's not like it's 50 Shades of Grey. Even though they apparently had sex on their first date.

2. I bought his books as a historic something to save, cheap in paperback from Costco. Never read either one of them. I was a Hillary supporter, I have her book signed that I waited in line for. I'm sure hers isn't 100 % factually correct either. Neither is GWB's. Or anyone else's.

He said it was a composite girlfriend in his autobiography, not in the new bio of him that's coming out. Genevieve says that he had an icy cool side and that he replied "thank you" when she told him she loved him. Just an interesting (to me) tidbit, don't expect anyone here to care. Hopefully, for Michelle's sake, he's changed since he was 22. Seems as if he has, if the image I have of him as a husband and father is in any way accurate.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #265
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
This from someone who thinks FDA research librarians making $62k a year are the cause of our national debt?
Some public sector workers are overpaid, particularly the unionised ones. Only on this forum is this viewed as a dramatic, outlandish controversial thing to suggest.
financeguy is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #266
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 02:30 PM
Te outlandish suggestion is that federal workers in DC are the cause of the national debt.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 PM   #267
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 11:30 AM
Depends on the region. Not all unions are bad, but I've seen unions defend really terrible employees. The kindergarten teacher had tenor, had multiple complaints from parents, and made $80,000 a year. Then I move out west where there are much stricter requirements for being a teacher (a few extra years of schooling) and see high school teachers only making $28,000 a year. It depends. Some are drastically overpaid, and some make barely enough to be above the poverty line despite getting a PhD.

Can't judge all of them just because one guy makes what in your opinion is "too much".
ladyfreckles is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #268
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,715
Local Time: 01:30 PM
I haven't had personal experience with unions, but I presume they're like most other things out there-they have their good points and benefits and they have their moments when they fail people, too.

I do find it funny, however, that public sector employees get attacked if they do make a comfortable living, but to dare suggest the same thing of private employees is class warfare, however. I don't care what job you're in, if you're making six figure salaries or more, that's sure a hell of a lot of money in my eyes, more than many people will ever see in their paychecks in their lifetimes, and there's a point where I would consider the pay in either line of work to be "too much".
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #269
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
How about, as a filter, we open our minds to something outside of our realm in which we feel comfortable.
Please. This isn't a situation where either people will nod their heads and say, "That makes sense" or they're just close-minded. That's what you and other pseudo-intellectuals like to do to blind yourself to the fact that you're throwing insane bullshit at the wall. Your post reads like you wrote the entire thing without a single thought. It's the equivalent of downing a few fingers of scotch and shouting into a Siri application about all the angry thoughts that pop into your head.

Maybe you should open your mind up to the possibility that people react so negatively and so strongly against your recent string of posts because they're insane bullshit, not because they're close-minded liberals who can't see the truth that you're preaching.

This is what conservatives and "conservative-leaning independents" (or whatever you prefer to call yourself) like to do. You like to bait those who lean liberally into reacting angrily by turning the dial up on the crazy, and then when they dismiss your arguments, you get to say, "Oh, we're close-minded because we're conservative? LOOK HOW CLOSE-MINDED AND DISMISSIVE YOU ARE!" You think it drips with irony, that you're exposing some sort of buried hypocrisy that we'll never be able to see.

This is too much, and it's not gonna happen any longer.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:35 AM   #270
Acrobat
 
ladyfreckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 402
Local Time: 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I haven't had personal experience with unions, but I presume they're like most other things out there-they have their good points and benefits and they have their moments when they fail people, too.

I do find it funny, however, that public sector employees get attacked if they do make a comfortable living, but to dare suggest the same thing of private employees is class warfare, however. I don't care what job you're in, if you're making six figure salaries or more, that's sure a hell of a lot of money in my eyes, more than many people will ever see in their paychecks in their lifetimes, and there's a point where I would consider the pay in either line of work to be "too much".
Just about every single person I know that makes a six figure income works their butt off for it and in my opinion has earned ever penny. I live in a very wealthy area (Seattle is overpriced enough to compete with San Francisco--seriously, and not even the high median income is enough to cover our cost of living), so I know a lot of them. Many of them work 70+ hour work weeks doing very complicated work that most of us would never be capable of doing.
ladyfreckles is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #271
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 20,715
Local Time: 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfreckles View Post
Just about every single person I know that makes a six figure income works their butt off for it and in my opinion has earned ever penny. I live in a very wealthy area (Seattle is overpriced enough to compete with San Francisco--seriously, and not even the high median income is enough to cover our cost of living), so I know a lot of them. Many of them work 70+ hour work weeks doing very complicated work that most of us would never be capable of doing.
I certainly can believe that . To make that kind of money I can only imagine the sorts of hours people have to put in, I don't know how they manage it. I hope I didn't imply anything bad in my post and I'm sorry if I did. Just saying in many people's eyes that is a LOT of money. It'd be worth all the hard work, though, I'm sure.
Moonlit_Angel is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #272
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 18,918
Local Time: 02:30 PM
I think part of the problem with the 99%/1% split is that it sounds good as a slogan but in fact is a bit deceiving.

There are different ways of defining the 1%. Most commonly a line is drawn somewhere around $500K annual income, although some people look at total wealth which is probably a better indicator.

However, the beef is really not with the 1% but with the 0.1%. Those who are making $500K/year certainly sound wealthy to most of us, but remember that these are people who are still working, and probably working very hard. It's only when your annual earnings reach into the millions that you can probably bet that the person is making money off interest or investments rather than from collecting a salary.
anitram is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #273
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Canadiens1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,363
Local Time: 02:30 PM
My issue with income inequality mainly just comes down to the fact that if you are making 250,000 a year after tax, you will never be in a situation where you have to decide between buying essential medication and feeding yourself and family at the end of the month. Lifestyle inflation with increasing income is a personal choice.

If that isn't an argument against a flat tax then what is?
Canadiens1131 is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #274
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,076
Local Time: 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1131
My issue with income inequality mainly just comes down to the fact that if you are making 250,000 a year after tax, you will never be in a situation where you have to decide between buying essential medication and feeding yourself and family at the end of the month. Lifestyle inflation with increasing income is a personal choice.

If that isn't an argument against a flat tax then what is?
Regarding a flat tax, and taxes for the rich in general, I can see a situation where developed countries begin to compete with each other for the tax money of high earners by cutting tax rates for them in a sort of "race to the bottom" to a Nash equilibrium that really doesn't benefit the world economy at large in the end. We're not there yet, and there are obviously steps happening to prevent it (see: François Hollande, though I'm not at all a fan of his, and I think a 75% income tax on the rich is silly at best), but I can see it as eventually being a possibility.
digitize is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #275
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it's a long read, but damn, Barry was really, really fucking cool back in the day ... and his waxings on TS Eliot are just the kind of thing that make liberal's hearts to pitter-patter.
Truly, honestly - this is pathetic. Alongside this, the birth truthers' theories look like rational analysis.

You're clearly a very intelligent person but I fear that your time working in the media has dumbed down your brain and led you to posting this sentimental mush.

He is a glib lawyer from Chicago with a nice turn of speech that has done deals with Wall Street to get elected and looks like doing so again because of the incredibly weak opposition. That's where it begins and ends, to me.
financeguy is offline  
Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #276
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,392
Local Time: 02:30 PM
Jesus, relax. It was meant to be somewhat funny.
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 02:30 PM
Humor is not allowed here

Did anyone see The Avengers this weekend? God I love that Robert Downey Jr.- he must ad lib most of his lines. Good for him for getting sober and changing his life.

Plus he's just super hot.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #278
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:30 PM
I find it absolutely laughable that whenever even mild criticisms of the Sun King Obama are expressed, the lefties just change the subject and descend into triviality.
financeguy is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #279
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Call out weak arguments all you like, but vulgar attacks on another poster's character will not be tolerated.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #280
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Call out weak arguments all you like, but vulgar attacks on another poster's character will not be tolerated.
That's not true, Yollland. Attacks on right wing posters character are permitted all the time.
__________________

financeguy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×