Obama General Discussion... (Part 2)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anybody ever happen to think what would have happened if Saddam did have WMD but we didnt act what would have happened? Better to be safe than sorry. By the way there are millions of Iraqi's who are grateful to this country that he's gone. While I am disappointed that Bin laden is still out there I am kind of glad that Saddam is gone with all of the evil he commited and potential for much more.

Alot of people forget that a few years before this war that something happened in NY, Washington, and Pa. I mean nobody here was concerned that Saddam wasnt cooperating with the weapons inspectors.

None of this, I mean none of this is reason for war. What happened in NY had nothing to do with Iraq, do you still think it does? You don't invade based on "better safe than sorry", or these people will be happy...

Bruce would be so disappointed. :sad:

Now that's just silly. What's to stop us from invading Russia because there's some report out there that says Putin wants to destroy Michigan? Better to be safe than sorry!
We were all well aware of what happened on that Tuesday. Some of us kept it in mind so much that we weren't willing to sacrifice more American lives in a fruitless search that would further drive a wedge between us and the Middle East.

Has Putin committed Genocide? Has Putin Murdered millions of innocents? Has Putin ever aggressively threatened us?

while i disavow any Bush/Hitler comparisons, i think one fair distinction to make is that those comparisons were made when Bush manipulated intelligence to justify an illegal war that has killed tens of thousands of Iraqis.

Obama wants to give everyone health coverage.

reasonable people can debate how we go about providing health care, and i think that has gone on in other threads, but i think there's a big, big difference between invoking a wild historical comparison when a big fucking invasion is at stake, versus when you're debating health care.

I try and avoid reductio ad Hitlerum arguments but one doesn't have to use much imagination to see the very real specter of at least soft-tyranny in such an all-encompassing reach into the lives of individuals by the state. In Nazi Germany the word was Gleichschaltung, state promised social protections in return for the forfeiting of certain individual liberties. The common good before the private good.

Actually yes to your first question, of course Africa is a continent and not a country.

When did Iraq "make threats" on the U.S?

This is exactly how you came into the tour section, guns a blazing attacking as much as you can.

Again you have to point out guns ablazing. The guy posted a racist comment and I simply pointed it out.

Again you have to point out guns ablazing. The guy posted a racist comment and I simply pointed it out.

Having one of your first posts in FYM calling someone's post the dumbest in all history and then questioning their fan status? Especially since the comment wasn't racist at all...

Not a good move.

Having one of your first posts in FYM calling someone's post the dumbest in all history and then questioning their fan status? Especially since the comment wasn't racist at all...

Not a good move.

"and for the GOP as well as they are now a party for old Southern white straight christian men".

Your right BVS thats not racist. It only becomes racist if I change the words around. While I understand that as a conservative I am in the minority here and expect to take my lumps. But whats right is right. If I substitute some words in what he said there would be an outcry. Why is it good for one but not the other?

Has Putin committed Genocide? Has Putin Murdered millions of innocents? Has Putin ever aggressively threatened us?

so you're for a war with russia?

sorry, but the US trying to be the police of the world and being involved in other countries affairs is partially why we are in this economic mess, AND why 9/11 happened, whether you want to admit it or not.

"and for the Democrats as well as they are now a party for young, Northern, non-white, gay-loving, multi-religioned people."

or women, you know.

You'd be hard pressed to find a liberal in here to take offense to something like that, apart from the, "Hey! I'm white!!!!"

What does being a U2 fan have to do with anything? Why is that brought up periodically, as if it's impossible that a "real" U2 fan could have opposing, and sometimes controversial views? :shrug:

:lol:

yes, U2 fans are ONLY allowed to have X political views on Y subject.

In Nazi Germany the word was Gleichschaltung, state promised social protections in return for the forfeiting of certain individual liberties. The common good before the private good.

and we could say the same thing about Sweden, 2009. :shrug:

the parallel is really, really loose as it stands.

so you're for a war with russia?

sorry, but the US trying to be the police of the world and being involved in other countries affairs is partially why we are in this economic mess, AND why 9/11 happened, whether you want to admit it or not.

That's not what he's saying. I get his point, but I don't get his point. If Bush had had an address to the nation saying, "I'm going to get Saddam Hussein because he's a murderer of innocents and an architect of genocide," then the war would have been justifiable. A little bit out there considering our concerns (Al-Qaeda) at the time, but at least we could say, "Shit man, the guy is right, we need to take him down at some point."
He didn't say that. He, and Rumsfeld, and Condi, and yes, even Powell got on our televisions and said that these WMDs were an imminent threat. This was not the truth.

Not the truth. Not the truth. Not the truth. Not the truth. Not the truth. Repeat that over and over please.

Nice try but I dont think I was mistaken. Again if I had made the same comment with the exception of one or two words I'd be crucified here and I would be embarrased as well.

Since you are not going to even try and explain why it was racist, let me explain to you why it wasn't.

First of all he didn't saying anything about an entire race, or try and generalize "white culture", etc...

Secondly even if he did, would saying they are Republican be an attack? If I call you a Republican is that a bad thing?

He used hyperbole to categorize a certain portion of voters. I'm male, white, straight, Southern, and Christian... and I'm not a Republican, I didn't take any offense, because I know for the most part he's right.

If you want to see real racism in FYM I could show you.

sarcasm_detector.jpg

What the? Somewhere there's a giant trough of Kool Aid. Do they actually read the bill?

Huffington Post
It was only a matter of time. Chuck Norris has weighed in on the health care debate.

In an op-ed for the conservative outlet TownHall.com, the former kung-fu action hero says that he was thumbing through the health care bill and found a disturbing section that "is about the government's coming into homes and usurping parental rights over child care and development."

The idea that health care reform will lead to government agents raising your children has been floating around right-wing blogs for the last several weeks. Norris' op-ed quickly got a link on the Drudge Report.

But it has no basis in reality. Norris is referring to section 1904 of the House bill, which "[p]rovides grants to States to support voluntary, evidence-based home visitation programs for pregnant women and for families with pre-school age children in order to improve the well-being, health and development of children."

The programs would be voluntary, a number of states already have such programs, and this sort of legislation is introduced almost every year.

Last Congress it was H.R.2343, which sought to "expand quality programs of early childhood home visitation that increase school readiness, child abuse and neglect prevention, and early identification of developmental and health delays, including potential mental health concerns, and for other purposes."

What kind of radical government-takeover advocates cosponsored such treachery? Thaddeus McCotter (R-Mich.), a member of House GOP leadership, for one. And Republicans Mark Souder (Ind.), Zach Wamp (Tenn.), and Rick Renzi (Ariz.).

The Senate version was introduced by that well-known communist Kit Bond, a Republican from Missouri. Former Republican Rep. Kenny Hulshof of Missouri backed the House measure before he left Congress to run for governor. Republican Senators Pat Roberts (Kan.) and Olympia Snowe (Maine) cosponsored Bond's bill.

Rep. Todd Platts (R-Penn.) sponsored a similar measure this year, H.R. 2667, the Early Support for Families Act. H.R. 2205, the Education Begins at Home Act of 2009, is cosponsored by Republicans Mike Castle (Del.), John McHugh (N.Y.), Vernon Ehlers (Mich.), and Thomas Petri (R-Wisc.).

The bill passed committee unanimously by a voice vote. Republicans spoke highly of home visits at the hearing.

Joe the Plumber, however, has yet to weigh in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom