Obama General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(CNN) – At the start of President Obama's third year in office, a new poll indicates that the president's approval rating is on the rise.

A Quinnipiac Poll released Thursday showed Obama's approval rating at 48 percent - nearing the 50 percent approval rating he has not held since October 2009.

Obama continued to receive high marks from his own party with an 85 percent approval rating among Democratic voters in the poll. Across the aisle, 84 percent of Republican voters disapprove of the job the president is doing. Independent voters disapproved of the president 46 to 41 percent.

Obama also received positive marks when compared to his predecessor: asked whether Obama is a better president than George W. Bush, 43 percent of voters indicated they thought he was, while 37 percent did not.

Regarding the president's policies, health care continued to be a contentious issue among voters.

In two separate questions, which allowed for any answer, voters were asked to name the president's best and worst achievements while in office. Twenty-six percent of voters named health care as the best thing the president has done, while an almost equal amount (27 percent) said health care is the worst thing he has done.

The Quinnipiac University poll was conducted from January 4 – 11 and includes interviews with 1,647 registered voters by telephone. The poll has a sampling error of 2.4 percentage points.

A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released last month also showed the public was split on how Obama has handled his duties, with 48 percent saying they approve and an equal amount saying they disapprove.

An extremely insightful comment from over at The Dish:

I think we've just seen how a master works. I tend to be lukewarm on most of Obama's speeches because, unlike Bill Clinton, he can't really sustain the "this is worth hearing, America!" impetus unless he really crafts the speech well. He's not really an applause-line speaker (though that does seem to be what he aims for most of the time), but a Kennedy-esque "coiner" whose greatest strength is the philosophy of his phraseology. Lines like "We are the ones we have been waiting for" make you pause, think, reflect - not stand up and cheer, necessarily - and stick with you well beyond the speech and even the context. When Obama doesn't do that, when he's just lecturing or doing his "fired up, ready to go" bit, he's really not particularly great.

But what Obama did in Tucson was a magic trick. For one thing, he was able to maintain the gravitas of his message not only despite the crowd, but at times even heighten it because of the crowd--such as when he sort of laughed about how the guys tackled Loughner, as though it was such a heroic act that even he couldn't believe it, turning a routine ceremonial thanks into something more personal. (He also managed to maintain his tempo evenly throughout the 30 minutes, which is difficult to do even if you don't have impromptu cheers interrupting you and urging you in a campaign-style atmosphere). For a speech that (presumably) wasn't designed for a pep-memorial, he made it work remarkable well.
Secondly, he kept a fine balance between addressing the victims and addressing the nation--it would have been easy for this to turn into a "look at me, I have compassion for normal people" photo-op, and on the flip side, have it be a crass political speech using the dead as cover.

But if you look at the speech as a whole, it's truly remarkable what an illusion Obama pulled off. Even as I was listening to it, I was somewhat perturbed by Obama's theme on "rather than pointing fingers or assigning blame"--a tacit rebuke of Democrats' criticism of Sarah Palin, despite the fact that no Democrat of any consequence has actually assigned the blame on anyone but Loughner; if we cannot scream at the top of our lungs at someone who is, for whatever reason or intention, whatever effect or consequence, indicating that people be "targeted" by the masquerade of a gun-sight, then what sort of healing can be expected when the eliminative harm-mongers can scream at the heal-mongers all they want?
Yet as Obama's speech unfolded, realize what he did: he led, by example. His speech was about community, brotherhood, love, understanding, listening, caring, healing, and yes, hope--all the things that are anathema to the world-view the Palinites are trying to espouse. Obama effectively took the rug out from under them, baring to the American people the soul of this Stalin, this Hitler, this death-panelist, and showing us that he is none of those things. You want to call Barack Obama Hitler? Then show me Hitler's Tucson.
So while Obama's words were more condemning of the Democratic discourse of the past few days, the speech itself was a ringing rebuke of all the Republican delusions, the delusions that the Democratic government is evil, that it's full of Manchurian candidates and sleeper agents and gran'ma-smotherers, that it's on the verge of turning America into the Union of the Third Reich of Kenyanistan. In one fell swoop, Obama pulled his entire party away from the brink of confrontation with a weaponized political lunacy and stood, alone on a stage, staring all the hordes down, like Wyatt Earp at the OK Corral, daring them to draw their guns and aim their sights and try to take him down, that no cross-hair or brandished gun can stop the power of love and hope, that no bullet can defeat the strength of the human spirit to open its eyes, and that there is no hate that cannot be washed away by rainpuddles.

I am glad that this man is our President.

Looking at the speech in this framework, I can only hope that it does mark the decline of some of the vitriolic rhetoric that's been aimed his way. Or at least a decline in the efficacy of that rhetoric.

That's a great way of putting it. Anyone who didn't find themselves touched by his speech last night...well, I honestly don't know what to say about them.

I just watched it online. I'm still wiping tears away.

such as when he sort of laughed about how the guys tackled Loughner, as though it was such a heroic act that even he couldn't believe it, turning a routine ceremonial thanks into something more personal.

I really loved the way he did that. And I also loved when he talked about those who lost their lives, his recaps of their lives were short and sweet and summed up each person perfectly. Each one felt special and was delivered appropriately for each respective person-you could easily picture him saying the exact same things about them if he were doing eulogies at their individual funerals. I wish I could've met and known these people.

(He also managed to maintain his tempo evenly throughout the 30 minutes, which is difficult to do even if you don't have impromptu cheers interrupting you and urging you in a campaign-style atmosphere)

I was impressed he kept his tone and tempo so even given the fact he had to talk about people who lost their lives. He seemed to get particularly emotional when talking about Christina...you just know he was thinking of his own daughters when mentioning her, realizing that they're not too much older than she was, thinking about them at that age. But he still kept his composure somehow.

His comments on family and fleeting life were perfect, too. And I think it would do this country a world of good to perhaps look at things through a child's eyes again. Couldn't hurt.

And I have no problem whatsoever with the way the crowd reacted through the speech. They've earned the right to cheer and let loose some feelings of happiness for a few minutes. Besides that, what other kind of reaction are you supposed to give people who manage to tackle a gunman and rob him of his weaponry?

Superb speech. Absolutely beautiful. Perhaps the best one he'll probably deliver his entire time as president.

Angela

I think he's the most moving speaker I've heard since Henry V at the battle of Agincourt. Of course King Hal had the best speech writer in history.

The thing that stands out to me is his impeccable timing. He speaks like Sinatra sings, with flawless instinct and timing. He knows when to be plaintive, when to be thoughtful, when to ignore the cheers and turn up the volume.

I was in Mile High stadium for the acceptance speech and I was glued to my television in 2004 when he spoke at the DNC. This speech was great, but those shook the earth.

I was in Mile High stadium for the acceptance speech and I was glued to my television in 2004 when he spoke at the DNC. This speech was great, but those shook the earth.

Hey I was in Denver too that glorious evening! I will never forget it. Remember the soft breeze floating around the stadium and the perfect weather that felt to me like the spirit of Dr.King, JFK, RFK were there joining us in that incredible moment? I continue to be moved so much by this man. Like others described such as NBC's Savannah Guthrie who is a Tucson native, she said the feeling in the arena was electric and people were hungry for something to cheer for.

All I can say is bravo, and if I know one thing, it's that thoughts and prayers have been answered and manifested in this exceptional human being, our President Barack Obama. I for one will continue to pray for his protection and level headed calm zen-like wisdom.:applaud: Lead on Sir, lead on!:applaud::heart:

Here is a clip of the Denver 2.5 min ovation he got when he walked out to ...oh ya... his campaign song..U2's COBL!! :) I was sitting in the same area. At one point halfway through you can hear the stadium rumble from the foot stomping going on like a U2 show! This was amazing! It did feel like we had united the energy of good for a time that night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj6ynI9tVFI

The thing that stands out to me is his impeccable timing. He speaks like Sinatra sings, with flawless instinct and timing. He knows when to be plaintive, when to be thoughtful, when to ignore the cheers and turn up the volume.

what i also love is how he's able to express complexities in a clear way, without dumbing them down.

example:

"And if, as has been discussed in recent days, their deaths help usher in more civility in our public discourse, let’s remember that it is not because a simple lack of civility caused this tragedy, but rather because only a more civil and honest public discourse can help us face up to our challenges as a nation, in a way that would make them proud."

he accomplishes so much in this single, dexterous sentence. he acknowledges the tragedy, acknowledges what is being said about the tragedy, what is true and what isn't true about what was said, and then asks us to elevate ourselves from this tragedy in order to properly memorialize this tragedy. he essentially refocuses the conversation with just this. and, evidently, he wrote most of it himself.

agree or disagree with his policies, but you really cannot dispute the depth of his intellectual understanding of the issues, or of emotions.

what i also love is how he's able to express complexities in a clear way, without dumbing them down.

example:

he accomplishes so much in this single, dexterous sentence. he acknowledges the tragedy, acknowledges what is being said about the tragedy, what is true and what isn't true about what was said, and then asks us to elevate ourselves from this tragedy in order to properly memorialize this tragedy. he essentially refocuses the conversation with just this. and, evidently, he wrote most of it himself.

agree or disagree with his policies, but you really cannot dispute the depth of his intellectual understanding of the issues, or of emotions.

Preaching to the choir here :D but this is why I admire him so much. From what I understand, he also went off script and spoke spontaneously directly from his heart. :heart:

Hey I was in Denver too that glorious evening! I will never forget it. Remember the soft breeze floating around the stadium and the perfect weather that felt to me like the spirit of Dr.King, JFK, RFK were there joining us in that incredible moment? I continue to be moved so much by this man. Like others described such as NBC's Savannah Guthrie who is a Tucson native, she said the feeling in the arena was electric and people were hungry for something to cheer for.

All I can say is bravo, and if I know one thing, it's that thoughts and prayers have been answered and manifested in this exceptional human being, our President Barack Obama. I for one will continue to pray for his protection and level headed calm zen-like wisdom.:applaud: Lead on Sir, lead on!:applaud::heart:

Here is a clip of the Denver 2.5 min ovation he got when he walked out to ...oh ya... his campaign song..U2's COBL!! :) I was sitting in the same area. At one point halfway through you can hear the stadium rumble from the foot stomping going on like a U2 show! This was amazing! It did feel like we had united the energy of good for a time that night.

YouTube - Obama Speech at Invesco Field from The Cheap Seats, Democratic Convention in Denver 2008

God, what an incredible, historic night that was. Still gives me chills. I don't think anyone will ever see anything like it again...in politics anyway.

I remember the Focus on the Family folks down in the Springs praying for rain. And it turned out to be the most GLORIOUS Colorado evening. The temperature of your living room, with not a cloud in the sky. The sun set over the Rockies and painted the sky over the stadium in a perfect gradient of bright orange and dark blue.

It was as if God was telling the nuts, "if you think I'm on YOUR side, you've got another thing coming. YOU'RE the false prophets I was talking about in the Bible!" :)

Irvine's point about his intellectualism-that's one thing I like about him, too. He doesn't treat people like they're idiots. He doesn't patronize. He's a smart guy and not afraid to express it. That's incredibly refreshing.

I love hearing that he went off script, too, looking back on the speech, I can easily believe that. People who read word for word off a piece of paper never come off that sincere and emotional.

I remember the Focus on the Family folks down in the Springs praying for rain. And it turned out to be the most GLORIOUS Colorado evening. The temperature of your living room, with not a cloud in the sky. The sun set over the Rockies and painted the sky over the stadium in a perfect gradient of bright orange and dark blue.

It was as if God was telling the nuts, "if you think I'm on YOUR side, you've got another thing coming. YOU'RE the false prophets I was talking about in the Bible!" :)

That's really funny :D. I like that story.

My god, look at the number of people in that clip. I was living in Colorado in 2008 and wanted to go to that so bad, but I wasn't able to. I remember watching that speech on TV, though, watching the whole convention on TV, and feeling really good at the end of it all. I'd like to think we haven't totally lost that optimism and hope yet, I'd like to think it's still there in some form and will still play a part in how we do things from here on out.

Angela

what i also love is how he's able to express complexities in a clear way,

Are you sure?

I still think reckon he's a sleazy lawyer in an empty suit.

The Sinatra comparison is very apposite.

His financial backers are interesting, I suspect.

Why is he there, why did he get the job, who's really behind him? Those kind of questions are worth asking.

"The Fed No Longer Even Denies that the Purpose of Its Latest Blast of Bond Purchases ... Is To Drive Up Wall Street" | zero hedge

God, what an incredible, historic night that was. Still gives me chills. I don't think anyone will ever see anything like it again...in politics anyway.

Hahaha! Funny! And remember the Rep. convention was washed out by a hurricane? HA! That was the biggest karmic sign of all. Plus I don't know what this means but I am a big believer in signs and divine messages. I noticed how the number 8 and 4 played a part of that election way back. That night was 8/28/08 =26 2+6=8 His birthday is August the 8th month on 4th, the election was on 11/04/08 and he was elected the 44th president. 4+4=8 Weird huh? No clue what that means, just thought it was cool how that worked. I also am very intuitive and I actually had a preminision about the inauguration years before it happened. It was really strange but I knew he was going to be elected the first time I heard him speak in 2004. There's that number again (4) :D

Sorry for all the gushing. :reject: I can't help myself sometimes! But I think it's good to remember why we voted for this great man. I have a confession. :reject: Sometimes when I feel really blue I pull the election night videos to remember the joy when things are getting tough. Makes me feel better instantly!

Are you sure?

Why is he there, why did he get the job, who's really behind him? Those kind of questions are worth asking.

"The Fed No Longer Even Denies that the Purpose of Its Latest Blast of Bond Purchases ... Is To Drive Up Wall Street" | zero hedge
I don't really take the same tactless approach as you, FG, but essentially I am thinking the same thing, despite being an Obama supporter.

It's interesting how many people thought Obama would bring a wave of transformative change to the way Washington works at its heart ($$$$$$), but he has proven to be part of the establishment.

He is an excellent diplomat given the system he has been handed to work in, but there is no real transformative change in his agenda. The way he has navigated the landmines of the Presidential office are very interesting, and he's playing a long-term game I think we don't have our heads around yet.

Jury's out, I suppose, as it should be when someone is only half through his term.

Are you sure?

while he (and his supporters) have no doubt been mugged by reality, and his behavior with Wall Street certainly merits criticism, i don't think there's much to any conspiracy theory beyond the idea that some Democrats may have gotten together and urged him to run because they feared not a Hillary presidency in and of itself, but that Hillary was at the time still too polarizing a figure.

John Edwards this man is not. and i think we see evidence of a genuine complexity of vision that let us know he's much, much more than a hack or some kind of Manchurian Candidate.

he may fail miserably. but not through fault of motive, imho.

The way he has navigated the landmines of the Presidential office are very interesting, and he's playing a long-term game I think we don't have our heads around yet.

Exactly. I agree with this.

He can see the bigger picture and has to work with the system at hand. In other words, the system in place now was NOT of his doing but by his predcessors, starting namely with Ronald Reagan who started the hand off to the corporations and big money. How does one man dig out from under a system in 4-8 years? Very slowly, very carefully, with much finesse. The corporate take over of America didn't happen overnight, how can we expect such big progress against the machine in just 2 years? It's with baby steps and sometimes that means taking 5 steps forward (passing legislations that actually helps the middle class) and then 3 steps back, compromising on tax cuts, single payer health care ect...

Did you all see *GASP* Caplitalism; A Love Story? That scene where Reagan is standing on the podium at the stock exchange and Don Regan behind him telling him what to do. "we are going to turn the BULL loose" This is the only clip I could find on Utube it's from the Young Turks, but the clip is only a few seconds in ..very short:

YouTube - Clip From Michael Moore New Movie Gets Leaked

Washington Post

After the shootings, Obama reminds the nation of the golden rule

By John McCain
Sunday, January 16, 2011;

President Obama gave a terrific speech Wednesday night. He movingly mourned and honored the victims of Saturday's senseless atrocity outside Tucson, comforted and inspired the country, and encouraged those of us who have the privilege of serving America. He encouraged every American who participates in our political debates - whether we are on the left or right or in the media - to aspire to a more generous appreciation of one another and a more modest one of ourselves.

The president appropriately disputed the injurious suggestion that some participants in our political debates were responsible for a depraved man's inhumanity. He asked us all to conduct ourselves in those debates in a manner that would not disillusion an innocent child's hopeful patriotism. I agree wholeheartedly with these sentiments. We should respect the sincerity of the convictions that enliven our debates but also the mutual purpose that we and all preceding generations of Americans serve: a better country; stronger, more prosperous and just than the one we inherited.

We Americans have different opinions on how best to serve that noble purpose. We need not pretend otherwise or be timid in our advocacy of the means we believe will achieve it. But we should be mindful as we argue about our differences that so much more unites than divides us. We should also note that our differences, when compared with those in many, if not most, other countries, are smaller than we sometimes imagine them to be.

I disagree with many of the president's policies, but I believe he is a patriot sincerely intent on using his time in office to advance our country's cause. I reject accusations that his policies and beliefs make him unworthy to lead America or opposed to its founding ideals. And I reject accusations that Americans who vigorously oppose his policies are less intelligent, compassionate or just than those who support them.

Our political discourse should be more civil than it currently is, and we all, myself included, bear some responsibility for it not being so. It probably asks too much of human nature to expect any of us to be restrained at all times by persistent modesty and empathy from committing rhetorical excesses that exaggerate our differences and ignore our similarities. But I do not think it is beyond our ability and virtue to refrain from substituting character assassination for spirited and respectful debate.

Public life has many more privileges than hardships. First among them is the satisfying purpose it gives our lives to make a contribution to the progress of a nation that was conceived to defend the rights and dignity of human beings. It can be a bruising business at times, but in the end its rewards are greater than the injuries sustained to earn them.

That doesn't mean, however, that those injuries are always easy to slough off and bear with perfect equanimity. Political leaders are not and cannot reasonably be expected to be indifferent to the cruelest calumnies aimed at their character. Imagine how it must feel to have watched one week ago the incomprehensible massacre of innocents committed by someone who had lost some essential part of his humanity, to have shared in the heartache for its victims and in the admiration for those who acted heroically to save the lives of others - and to have heard in the coverage of that tragedy voices accusing you of complicity in it.

It does not ask too much of human nature to have the empathy to understand how wrong an injury that is or appreciate how strong a need someone would feel to defend him or herself against such a slur. Even to perceive it in the context of its supposed political effect and not as the claim of the human heart to the dignity we are enjoined by God and our founding ideals to respect in one another is unworthy of us, and our understanding of America's meaning.

There are too many occasions when we lack that empathy and mutual respect on all sides of our politics, and in the media. But it is not beyond us to do better; to behave more modestly and courteously and respectfully toward one another; to make progress toward the ideal that beckons all humanity: to treat one another as we would wish to be treated.

We are Americans and fellow human beings, and that shared distinction is so much more important than the disputes that invigorate our noisy, rough-and-tumble political culture. That is what I heard the president say on Wednesday evening. I commend and thank him for it.

The writer, a senator from Arizona, was the 2008 Republican nominee for president.

He really hit it out of the park with that speech. I never remarked on it on this forum, but it has been almost universally praised. :up:

Good job, speechwriters :up:

GC8PP.jpg

He is an excellent diplomat given the system he has been handed to work in, but there is no real transformative change in his agenda. The way he has navigated the landmines of the Presidential office are very interesting, and he's playing a long-term game I think we don't have our heads around yet.

Jury's out, I suppose, as it should be when someone is only half through his term.

Nice. You hit the nail on the head, here.

He really hit it out of the park with that speech. I never remarked on it on this forum, but it has been almost universally praised. :up:

GC8PP.jpg

This made me lol. I watched the entire series of TWW this past summer, and loved it. And hearing all the praise for this speech made me think of Toby and Sam and Will, and I wondered who crafted this one.

GC8PP.jpg

Word is that he wrote most of it (if not all) himself and even went off script according to the pundits. They usually get copies of the speech before hand and they mentioned it was different.

Btw, I love the West Wing too! I have all the dvd's and watch it all the time. It's amazing how the story lines in some of the scripts mirror what's happening now.

politicsdaily.com

Former Vice President Dick Cheney said he still believes Barack Obama will be a one-term president, in part because of the health care overhaul he championed.

In an interview with NBC News, the first since his heart surgery in July, Cheney also said Americans should not be too quick to assume that heated political rhetoric helped set the stage for the Jan. 8 mass shooting in Arizona.

Cheney reiterated his belief that Obama will not be re-elected because "he embarked on a course of action when he became president that did not have as much support as he thought it did," referring to the new law mandating health insurance coverage, among other changes.

"I think he's enacted a program that a great many people are very worried about," Cheney told NBC's Jamie Gangel. "And that there's a lot of support out there for the effort to repeal that health care package." An excerpt from the interview, conducted at Cheney's home on Maryland's Eastern Shore, aired Monday night on "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams," and the full interview ran Tuesday morning on "Today."

The former vice president said Obama's other big weakness is his failure to realize the public wants smaller government. Cheney implied that Obama is off course in his "overall approach to expanding the size of government, expanding the deficit, and giving more and more authority and power to the government over the private sector. . . . And I think he'll be a one-term president."

But he softened earlier criticism when he had maintained the country was less safe under Obama. He said the president has come to understand that some of the surveillance and security policies employed by the past administration were necessary. "He obviously has been through the fires," Cheney said. ". . . I think he has learned from experience."

Later in the interview, Cheney said he thought Obama did a good job in the aftermath of the the Tucson shootings that killed six and wounded Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, among others. "I think the president handled it well," he said. "I thought that was one of his better efforts."

This from a man that shot someone in the face and was too drunk to talk to the police until 24 hours later.

This from a man that has had dozens of heart surgeries that have been paid by Health Insurance provided by the American people that has probably cost over a million dollars.

He's got his, who cares about anyone else?

Good thing he doesn't live in Arizona and isn't on insurance for the poor-he'd be cut off from a transplant and might be dead by now.

"I think he's enacted a program that a great many people are very worried about," Cheney told NBC's Jamie Gangel.

Except that they have no real concrete reason as to why they're worried. If they're worried, it's due to the fear-mongering and lies that many managed to whip up and spread about the program.

"And that there's a lot of support out there for the effort to repeal that health care package."

Except that more Americans are starting to ease their opposition according to recent news, because once they understand what actually DOES exist in this bill, they surprisingly rather like it. It ain't perfect, but it's better than what they had.

And once again, it had a lot of Republican ideas added into it. So the complaining makes even less sense as a result, but whatever.

The former vice president said Obama's other big weakness is his failure to realize the public wants smaller government.

And we all know how well your administration adhered to such a belief :up:.

At least he praised his handling of the whole Tuscon situation, though, so there's that.

Continuing on, from the oh-so-brilliant mind of Rick Santorum today:
Santorum invokes Obama’s race in abortion debate - Yahoo! News

*Headdesk*

Angela

Continuing on, from the oh-so-brilliant mind of Rick Santorum today:
Santorum invokes Obama’s race in abortion debate - Yahoo! News

Ick, what a douche.

Fox has rejected a proposed Super Bowl ad from a conservative comedy site called JesusHatesObama.com.

The ad shows two bobblehead dolls: one of Jesus and one of President Obama. As "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" plays, the video cuts between the two bobbleheads until Jesus seemingly makes the Obama bobblehead fall into a fish tank, whereupon the logo for the site comes up.

Fox said the ad was unacceptable and could not air during the Super Bowl.

A representative for the site said that it was founded by a man named Richard Belfry. On the site, people can order anti-Obama merchandise, such as t-shirts and hats. A block of text on the front page of the site explains, "do we really believe that Jesus hates Obama? Of course not! However, we do believe in freedom...as in the freedom to make fun of the Obama administration with novelty t-shirts...our products may be a joke but so are the policies of this administration."

YouTube - 2011 Banned Super Bowl Commerical - JesusHatesObama.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom