Obama General Discussion II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, backseat psychoanalysis. Always good for an article or two.

But, can you prove it isn't true? Can you????

Semi-seriously, there are aspects of his background that are slightly mysterious. I wouldn't go any further than that.

Arguably, anyone that voluntarily puts themselves through the living hell that is a US Presidential election campaign has potential deep-seated psychological issues.

there are aspects of his background that are slightly mysterious. I wouldn't go any further than that.

Arguably, anyone that voluntarily puts themselves through the living hell that is a US Presidential election campaign has potential deep-seated psychological issues.

These can be said about almost every president, at least those of the 20th century and beyond.

The second can, not so much the first, I'd argue. For example, Clinton, Carter, or Reagan didn't have particularly mysterious backgrounds, with the possible exception of the Whitewater 'scandal' in respect of the Clintons which turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Of course, there was a lot of stuff about Nixon and Kennedy that came out in recent years, but much of it was rumoured and hinted at even in their day.

Now, the Bushies are a different story, a lot of mysterious shit there, according to some sources.

The second can, not so much the first, I'd argue. For example, Clinton, Carter, or Reagan didn't have particularly mysterious backgrounds, with the possible exception of the Whitewater 'scandal' in respect of the Clintons which turned out to be much ado about nothing.

Of course, there was a lot of stuff about Nixon and Kennedy that came out in recent years, but much of it was rumoured and hinted at even in their day.

Now, the Bushies are a different story, a lot of mysterious shit there, according to some sources.

If I remember right there were some whisperings about things that happened in Reagan's Hollywood days, can't remember too much about Carter. But my point is that anyone who goes this far under the microscope always seems to have some kind of "mystery", because there always seems to be that one thing they aren't willing to talk about or that one thing they seemed to want covered up. Most of the time it's nothing.

Huffington Post

President Obama's clarification on Saturday of his endorsement of the Ground Zero mosque (the president stressed he had not been commenting on the "wisdom" of the project) elicted groans among the White House's liberal critics, many of whom had been delighted by Obama's initial remarks.

But on Sunday it was a leading Republican who took the president to task for lacking clarity. Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) accused Obama of "trying to have it both ways" on the project, leaving the impression that he supported the construction of an Islamic cultural center in Lower Manhattan only to hide behind unobjectionable arguments about first amendment rights.

"The president is a gifted speaker and tremendous communicator," King said, during an appearance on CNN's State of the Union. "Obviously his words were carefully chosen on Friday, and the inference or the clear impression that everybody came away with was that he was supporting the mosque at ground zero, and he can parse it later on and sort of back away, but the fact is that was clearly the impression that he wanted to leave."

"All I can think is perhaps there was political pressure from people in his own party that urged him to walk back away from that on Saturday," King added. "Let me just say if [Rep.] Jerry Nadler had given a speech on this issue, nobody would have doubted where he stood and he would not have taken it back the next day. If the president was going to get into this, he should have been much more clear, much more precise and you cannot change your position from day-to-day on an issue which does go to the constitution and also goes to extreme sensitivity. That's where I'm critical of the president...for not being clear."

A leading critic of the mosque, King's comments are similar to those being aired in more progressive circles -- albeit with different long-term objectives.

But both King's remarks and the broader discussion about the president's clarification has downplayed or ignored an important element of the administration's approach, White House backers say. In endorsing the constitutionality of the Cordoba House, Obama was arguing that the rest of the debate is moot. The question was not whether there was "wisdom" in building an Islamic cultural center near Ground Zero; but rather whether there was "wisdom" in a society guaranteeing religious freedom. If the answer to the latter is "yes" (and for Obama, it clearly is) than there is no point in arguing the former. The geo-political ramifications are similar if not the same.

As Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), a mosque defender, put it during the same segment on CNN's "State of the Union":

"We do not put the Bill of Rights, we do not put religious freedom, to a vote... I hope that people will understand that government has no role in this."

The placement of religious buildings will often draw concern. The debate isn't as simple as some make it out to be. For instance, I think if some billionaire decided to build a huge cathedral in the best part of the Vegas Strip there would be opposition.

However, most of the hype is simply to get people riled up and divided again. I personally think that allowing the mosque sends a signal we are truly a religious tolerant country. It doesn't matter that Saudi Arabia doesn't allow churches, that's something they will have to address as they want to progress as a society.

Republican Ben Quayle, son of former gaffe-prone vice president Dan Quayle, is running for Congress in Arizona's third district. He's out with a new TV ad!

The ad opens with a close-up on Quayle staring intensely into the camera. "Barack Obama is the worst president in history," he says. "In my generation, we'll inherit a weakened country. Drug cartels in Mexico, tax cartels in D.C....what's happened to America?"

Quayle, who's been sitting, dramatically stands up. "Somebody has to go to Washington and knock the hell out of the place."

YouTube - Ben Quayle Commercial

There is not a rolleyes smiley big enough.

Here you go:

megaeyerollvg5.gif

However, most of the hype is simply to get people riled up and divided again. I personally think that allowing the mosque sends a signal we are truly a religious tolerant country. It doesn't matter that Saudi Arabia doesn't allow churches, that's something they will have to address as they want to progress as a society.

Exactly :up:

Republican Ben Quayle, son of former gaffe-prone vice president Dan Quayle, is running for Congress in Arizona's third district. He's out with a new TV ad!

The ad opens with a close-up on Quayle staring intensely into the camera. "Barack Obama is the worst president in history," he says. "In my generation, we'll inherit a weakened country. Drug cartels in Mexico, tax cartels in D.C....what's happened to America?"

Quayle, who's been sitting, dramatically stands up. "Somebody has to go to Washington and knock the hell out of the place."

YouTube - Ben Quayle Commercial

My name is Ben Quayle and I'm a fucking idiot.

Huffington Post

President Obama's clarification on Saturday of his endorsement of the Ground Zero mosque (the president stressed he had not been commenting on the "wisdom" of the project) elicted groans among the White House's liberal critics, many of whom had been delighted by Obama's initial remarks.

But on Sunday it was a leading Republican who took the president to task for lacking clarity. Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) accused Obama of "trying to have it both ways" on the project, leaving the impression that he supported the construction of an Islamic cultural center in Lower Manhattan only to hide behind unobjectionable arguments about first amendment rights.

"The president is a gifted speaker and tremendous communicator," King said, during an appearance on CNN's State of the Union. "Obviously his words were carefully chosen on Friday, and the inference or the clear impression that everybody came away with was that he was supporting the mosque at ground zero, and he can parse it later on and sort of back away, but the fact is that was clearly the impression that he wanted to leave."

"All I can think is perhaps there was political pressure from people in his own party that urged him to walk back away from that on Saturday," King added. "Let me just say if [Rep.] Jerry Nadler had given a speech on this issue, nobody would have doubted where he stood and he would not have taken it back the next day. If the president was going to get into this, he should have been much more clear, much more precise and you cannot change your position from day-to-day on an issue which does go to the constitution and also goes to extreme sensitivity. That's where I'm critical of the president...for not being clear."

A leading critic of the mosque, King's comments are similar to those being aired in more progressive circles -- albeit with different long-term objectives.

But both King's remarks and the broader discussion about the president's clarification has downplayed or ignored an important element of the administration's approach, White House backers say. In endorsing the constitutionality of the Cordoba House, Obama was arguing that the rest of the debate is moot. The question was not whether there was "wisdom" in building an Islamic cultural center near Ground Zero; but rather whether there was "wisdom" in a society guaranteeing religious freedom. If the answer to the latter is "yes" (and for Obama, it clearly is) than there is no point in arguing the former. The geo-political ramifications are similar if not the same.

As Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), a mosque defender, put it during the same segment on CNN's "State of the Union":

"We do not put the Bill of Rights, we do not put religious freedom, to a vote... I hope that people will understand that government has no role in this."

I have to agree with King.

Politically, it might have been better for Obama to stay out of this issue altogether. But once we weighed in, he needed to not backtrack and be clear about where he stood.

i just thought this was funny:

But neither of these potential problems is a clear and present danger. Social Security has been running surpluses for the last quarter-century, banking those surpluses in a special account, the so-called trust fund. The program won’t have to turn to Congress for help or cut benefits until or unless the trust fund is exhausted, which the program’s actuaries don’t expect to happen until 2037 — and there’s a significant chance, according to their estimates, that that day will never come.

Meanwhile, an aging population will eventually (over the course of the next 20 years) cause the cost of paying Social Security benefits to rise from its current 4.8 percent of G.D.P. to about 6 percent of G.D.P. To give you some perspective, that’s a significantly smaller increase than the rise in defense spending since 2001, which Washington certainly didn’t consider a crisis, or even a reason to rethink some of the Bush tax cuts.

The New York Times > Log In

What are the mysteries in Obama's background?

What's mysterious to me is that he's seen as the guy that is going to reform Wall Street whereas in fact he was heavily funded by them from day one.

Obama way ahead of McCain in Wall Street firms funding

Remember all the prosecutions of bankers after the crash and all the photos of top Wall Street guys doin' the perp walk?

Yeah, you're right, that didn't happen.

A Close Encounter with Joe Cassano -- RollingStone.com

The Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission: The Joe Cassano guide to escapology | The Economist

I think there's a serious case to be made that the Bush administration had much a better record in prosecuting corporate malfeasance.

I have to agree with King.

Politically, it might have been better for Obama to stay out of this issue altogether. But once we weighed in, he needed to not backtrack and be clear about where he stood.

Peter King has two phases to his career, the first was as a prime political PR guy in the US for republican terrorists in Northern Ireland, the second, post-911 phase, was when he decided that terrorism was a really really bad thing after all and then proceeded to try to turn himself into the most aggressively anti-Muslim, er sorry, I mean anti-terrorist politician in America.

Support of the IRA
In the 1980s, King frequently traveled to Northern Ireland to meet with IRA members.[5] In 1982, speaking at a pro-IRA rally in Nassau County, New York, King said: “We must pledge ourselves to support those brave men and women who this very moment are carrying forth the struggle against British imperialism in the streets of Belfast and Derry.”[5][6] A Northern Irish judge ordered King ejected from the former's courtroom, describing him as “an obvious collaborator with the IRA”.[5] He became involved with NORAID, an organization that the British, Irish and US governments accuse of financing IRA activities and providing them with weapons.[5][7][8][9] He was banned from appearing on British TV for his pro IRA views and refusing to condemn IRA activity in the UK.[5]

In 2000, he called then-presidential candidate George W. Bush a tool of "anti-Catholic bigoted forces."[5]

He stopped supporting the IRA after being offended by Irish public opposition to the invasion of Iraq,[5] labelling it as begrudgery rather than suspicion of and opposition to the war.

In 2008, King spoke in defense of bail for a fugitive IRA member, Pól Brennan, who had escaped from prison in the UK and been detained in Texas 15 years later. The IRA member, who had broken out of prison during the Maze Prison escape and entered America illegally,[10] was being held without bail after his work permit expired; King said: "My experience dealing with (Irish) republicans is that they don't jump bail in this country. They honor their commitments."[11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_T._King#Support_of_the_IRA

What's mysterious to me is that he's seen as the guy that is going to reform Wall Street whereas in fact he was heavily funded by them from day one.

Obama way ahead of McCain in Wall Street firms funding

Remember all the prosecutions of bankers after the crash and all the photos of top Wall Street guys doin' the perp walk?

Yeah, you're right, that didn't happen.

A Close Encounter with Joe Cassano -- RollingStone.com

The Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission: The Joe Cassano guide to escapology | The Economist

I think there's a serious case to be made that the Bush administration had much a better record in prosecuting corporate malfeasance.

Oh, I see you're talking about THAT kind of mystery. Yeah, Rolling Stone has been Obama for quite some time for going easy on Wall Street.

Peter King has two phases to his career, the first was as a prime political PR guy in the US for republican terrorists in Northern Ireland, the second, post-911 phase, was when he decided that terrorism was a really really bad thing after all and then proceeded to try to turn himself into the most aggressively anti-Muslim, er sorry, I mean anti-terrorist politician in America.

Peter T. King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He's a tosser and a hypocrite, I simply cannot take him seriously on any subject whatever.

I have no knowledge of this man at all. I simply agreed with what he expressed. That's hardly unqualified support of the man himself.

I have no knowledge of this man at all. I simply agreed with what he expressed. That's hardly unqualified support of the man himself.

I didn't think you were expressing unqualified support, I was just pointing out the background of said Mr King for those not aware of it.

abcnews.com

Karl Rove Slams President on 'No, We Can't' And Islamic Center Comments

Former Bush Adviser Says Obama Did 'Real Damage to America's Standing in the World' By Weighing in on the New York Islamic Center

By HUMA KHAN

Aug. 18, 2010—

Karl Rove, former adviser to President George W. Bush, today slammed President Obama for chiming in on the New York Islamic center debate and for saying the Republican Party's slogan is "No, we can't."

"The president was better to have signaled a tone of respect for Islam without engaging in a local controversy, which he previously avoided," Rove said on "Good Morning America" today.

"He did real damage to America's standing in the world," Rove continued, by saying on Friday that he believes Muslims have "the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in Lower Manhattan," and then walking back on his comments Saturday by saying that he would not comment on the "wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there."

The White House has denied that there was a change in Obama's message. White House Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton said Saturday that it's not the president's role to "pass judgment on every local project. But it is his responsibility to stand up for the constitutional principle of religious freedom and equal treatment for all Americans."

Still, several prominent Republicans seized on Obama's remarks and demanded that the president and Democrats state their opposition or support for the proposed cultural center one way or another.

The debate has even divided Democrats, with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid coming out in opposition to the Islamic center being built on the proposed site, which is a few blocks from ground zero.

Rove said he's worried about the GOP taking Obama's comments too far and damaging the outreach of his former boss and Obama to the Muslim world. But he placed the blame of making this a national debate solely on Obama.

"I don't want the mosque to be built there, but it's a local issue," Rove said.

The Fox News contributor, who has faced his share of controversy over the years, also panned Obama for "unpresidential sarcasm and attempting to be the messenger for the Democrats."

At an fundraiser for Sen. Patty Murray in Seattle Tuesday, the president found a new line of attack against the GOP.

"You remember our slogan during the campaign: 'Yes, we can.' Their slogan is 'No, we can't,'" he said to laughter from the Democratic crowd. "'No, we can't.' It's really inspiring."

Karl Rove Slams President Obama

Obama chided Republicans for obstructing the agenda he and his fellow Democrats are trying to push in Washington.

"No on help for small businesses, no on middle-class tax cuts, no on clean-energy jobs, no on making college more affordable, no on Wall Street reform," he said.

Rove argued that the president's delivery only hurts Democrats in what is expected to be a tough midterm election year for many in the party.

"He doesn't make it better for Democrats by constantly being on the stage and constantly attempting to set the stage for fall, especially with this kind of tone," Rove said.

The former adviser predicted that, as in the 2006 midterm elections, this year's races would also likely be decided by a narrow margin of votes, which could have huge consequences for the political landscape in the United States.

abcnews.com

"He did real damage to America's standing in the world," Rove continued

Bullshit, Karl. Didn´t get enough munchies or what´s his problem?

Bush caused real damage to America´s standing in the world. Obama´s just trying to clean the mess up that Bush left.

The world is generally happy that America just once has a relatively normal Prez; the expectations towards his administration have been very high. I, for one, give him some credit for not starting another war, for not breaching international law. He made too many presents to the banks and to the rich, while faking an indignant face - not my problem (taxes), our politicians did the same (my problem).

According to news reports this t-shirt is outselling the "I vacationed with Obama t-shirt in 2010" in Martha's Vineyard. Supposedly even Democrats are buying it..don't know how they'd know that unless the stores ask people what they are or they just volunteer that.

It says "how's that hopey changey thing working out for ya". I wonder if Sarah gets a % from that.

31uHv0S7wZL._AA300_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom