Obama General Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the thing you and your friends have to ask is would McCain and Palin be doing a better or worse situation given the circumstances?

If one sat back and "let the market heal itself" would we be in a better position?

We know if Palin had any say that we'd already be in war with Iran...

I think the thing you and your friends have to ask is would McCain and Palin be doing a better or worse situation given the circumstances?

If one sat back and "let the market heal itself" would we be in a better position?

We know if Palin had any say that we'd already be in war with Iran...

None of us are wishing McCain and Palin won. Neither one of us liked them.

But Obama is the president, that is what matters now. He's not doing much about the job crisis, that is quite obvious to my friends and I.

None of us are wishing McCain and Palin won. Neither one of us liked them.

But Obama is the president, that is what matters now. He's not doing much about the job crisis, that is quite obvious to my friends and I.

He spent $800 billion on a 'stimulus' bill.

We can play 'what if' until the cows come home, but we also can't speculate that it would have been any better under McCain.

My point is that Obama is doing little to combat the job problem. Instead, he tackled health care, which should've come after the employment crisis was solved. There's plenty of people who feel this way.

You seem to be saying, BVS, that my friends and I should accept the lack of jobs out there and accept our degrading positions working menial jobs in the meantime.

So where are the jobs?

Good question.

Economists say the stimulus didn't help - Apr. 26, 2010

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The recovery is picking up steam as employers boost payrolls, but economists think the government's stimulus package and jobs bill had little to do with the rebound, according to a survey released Monday.

In latest quarterly survey by the National Association for Business Economics, the index that measures employment showed job growth for the first time in two years -- but a majority of respondents felt the fiscal stimulus had no impact.

NABE conducted the study by polling 68 of its members who work in economic roles at private-sector firms. About 73% of those surveyed said employment at their company is neither higher nor lower as a result of the $787 billion Recovery Act, which the White House's Council of Economic Advisers says is on track to create or save 3.5 million jobs by the end of the year.

We can play 'what if' until the cows come home, but we also can't speculate that it would have been any better under McCain.

People like to speculate

I will speculate that things would be going better with President Hillary,

I don't think the tea partiers, would be quite as strident, and I think there may have be a wee bit more bipartisanship.

I didn't say things would've been better if McCain were elected. I did mention that I didn't like him. I didn't even vote for him.

Yeah, but to say you regret voting for Obama, makes me think that the alternative was to have voted for McCain, and who's to say we wouldn't be here asking the same questions?

I just made the correlation to be that "I regret voting for Obama" equals "wish I'd voted for the other guy."

Not what you meant?

"I'm disappointed in Obama" is one thing, but if that's what you meant, then yeah, obviously my comment doesn't apply.

If you read my initial post, I said I didn't vote for Obama because I was skeptical of him. Now since I admit I didn't vote for McCain, that means I didn't vote for either one. I am too cynical of politicians to believe their campaigns.

When I talk about the regret for voting for Obama, that comes from my friends who do not have regular, full time jobs. They were the ones who voted for Obama, hoping he would turn around the employment crisis. But he hasn't.

My point is that Obama is doing little to combat the job problem. Instead, he tackled health care, which should've come after the employment crisis was solved. There's plenty of people who feel this way.

You seem to be saying, BVS, that my friends and I should accept the lack of jobs out there and accept our degrading positions working menial jobs in the meantime.

I'm saying like Cori, we can play "what if" and speculate all we want...

If seeing little results equals "doing little" then you're right.

I for one am a little more practical and knew that finding or creating jobs in this environment would be next to impossible.

I can't speculate that anyone would have done much of a better job. We are in tough times, times that are similar to times we've had in the past but also very unique and never seen before... There is no playbook and anyone that tells you differently is a liar.

I will speculate that things would be going better with President Hillary

I have to agree. I don't think there would be any more bipartisanship but I can't imagine that she would have tried to spend so much money in the middle of our worst recession. I think that started all the problems for Obama. Of course there are people who wouldn't like him no matter what he did or didn't do.

Just speculation of course but I think she would have been much more cautious

the ironic thing is that one of my main reasons for supporting Obama was that i felt he'd be better at bridging the divide than Hillary, because the Republicans were completely batshit insane in the 1990s and they made her an object of hate on par with her husband. and there's the creepy psycho-sexual dimension -- you know how diamond posts all those pictures of her looking like a witch? it's all sexual. and don't forget, she was a far, far more divisive political figure and despised by the Right. these are the people who believe she murdered Vince Foster.

it really doesn't matter who's president. the GOP are a bunch of power-hungry nihilists, and their media barons -- Beck, Hannity, Palin -- make more money when they are out of power.

so no matter who was president, so long as it is a Democrat, you can expect insanity from the GOP.

And I'm not sure what people want Obama to do. Everything he's done economically, to me, seems like the best move. There's nothing he could have done more that would have improved the job situation. This shit takes time to take effect.

We live in an instant gratification world, if you don't get the results you want right away you give up, regret, or throw it out...

It's why there are so many work out gimmicks sitting in our landfills...

I just think this is funny. Gee, nothing shy about her. First meeting and you bring that up? Awkward :slant:

Washington (CNN) - A new book reveals an unusually personal–and apparently awkward–moment during the first encounter between First Lady Michelle Obama and France's First Lady, Carla Bruni.

The book's author, Newsweek editor Jonathan Alter, writes that Bruni, "delighted in telling friends that she shocked Michelle Obama at their first meeting."

Alter describes the meeting between the first ladies in which Bruni boasted that she and French President Nicolas Sarkozy, "once kept another foreign leader waiting while they finished having sex."

"Bruni wanted to know if, like the Sarkozys, Michelle and the president had ever kept anyone waiting that way," Alter writes. "Michelle laughed nervously and said no."

The book, "The Promise: President Obama, Year One," was obtained by CNN in advance of it's May 18 release.

against who?

McCain was perhaps the best brand in politics in 2008, and he was crushed.

elections are won from the middle. and the Teabaggers want nothing to do with the middle. if they are the national force you claim they are, Mittens won't even make it past the primary. all Palin, all the time.

2008 was the anti-Bush vote
you don't think Hillary would have won big in 2008, too

2012 will be much different
it can be an unknown, just like Obama was in 2008

I'm afraid the deficits will continue to grow, and the economy won't bounce back strong, it may creep up a bit

the economy really was not that bad in 1992, but Bush 1 lost to a relatively unknown

you seem just to be looking at things through your "tea bag" glasses

I realize your vote does not swing, and mine most likely won't either, but we will not be the deciders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom