Obama delivers speech on race and politics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Obama's speech on race.

Posted: 06:00 PM ET

Obama will deliver a speech on race and politics Tuesday.

PITTSBURGH, Pennsylvania (CNN) — Far from putting the controversial issue of race behind him, Barack Obama has decided to address the issue head on in a speech Tuesday.

"I am going to be talking not just about Reverend Wright, but the larger issue of race in this campaign — which has ramped up over the last couple of weeks," Obama told reporters in Monaca, Pennsylvania.

Obama's chief strategist David Axelrod characterized the speech, to be delivered in Philadelphia, as "a discussion on race and politics."

"Given the events of the last few weeks, Obama felt it was time to address the issue of race and politics directly, and what it means in our country," Axelrod said.

Within 24 hours we will have the text of this speech.

This topic deserves its own thread.

Race is one of America's biggest issues.

Dose supporting one candidate over another, address the core issues of race?

Will it assuage your conscious?

Can Obama be "America's get out of jail free" card?

deep said:

Can Obama be "America's get out of jail free" card?

Umm, what do you mean by this statement that you get repeating?

Please clarify for us dimmer folk.

thank u,

dbs

I've been watching the news about "Obama's Pastor" on all the networks and what I believe I am witnessing is the assasination of Barack Obama. Maybe it's all for the better if Hillary is the nominee - if there is an economic collapse coming who the hell would want to be President. Leave it for McCain and Clinton to fight it out. From what I heard (and I admit I may not have heard it all) what Jeremiah Wright said about America is dead on RIGHT!!! It is a corrupt country (as are all countries), they have jailed a ridiculous number of young black males for minor drug use and the three strikes law is sick and twisted. Although I may change my mind right now at this particular moment I'm thinking America will get what it deserves - Hillary or McCain - not much difference between the two. You had your chance for something that could have been terrific but it seems like you've blown it. When everyone thought the media was against Hillary (it was a brilliant smokescreen) we can now see clearly this is not the case. I guess some of the same forces behind the scenes don't have to pull a trigger anymore - they can assasinate someones character through lies and exaggerations, through fear and suspicion...and of coarse race. Come to think of it I really didn't have much hope for America anyway. O.K. I actually did for a brief moment but that has completely disappeared. There is something in the air and it don't smell right. Good luck.

" The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing "God Bless America". No, no, no, not God Bless America, God Damn America, that's in the bible for killing innocent people...God Damn America for treating our citizens as less than human"

- Jeremiah A. Wright Jr.
Chicago Trinity United Church of Christ

WHAT'S NOT ABSOLUTLEY TRUE ABOUT ANY OF THIS???

SORRY.

IT'S ALL TRUE.

SAD BUT NEVERTHELESS TRUE.

^ see, i sort of agree with you. the point of it is correct.

and this is where the Cheesecake Factory people kind of miss the forest of rhetoric for the trees of mean-sounding words.

I don't really understand why this story is still news. It's as if it's because it came out at the end of the week/weekend, and they want to make sure it gets its limelight on a weekday or two.

Utoo said:
I don't really understand why this story is still news. It's as if it's because it came out at the end of the week/weekend, and they want to make sure it gets its limelight on a weekday or two.

No, it's because the powers that be were scared about the momentum that Obama was gaining. They want Hillary Clinton as the nominee. Period (over 100,000 Republicans voted for Hillary Clinton in Texas - what does that tell you???). Therefore either handing the Presidency to McCain OR handing the great depression of 2008 to Hillary. Either way everyone loses...as usual.

Last edited:
I'm with you, Irvine. I fear a repeat of the 1968 convention. If something crazy happens, i.e. Superdelegates taking this nomination away from Obama, you can expect bricks through windows, riots, police, physical mental and emotional distress and the fracture of the Democratic Party.

I don't want it to happen...but I do fear it's possibility.

more like 72

a candidate cinching the nomination on being "against the war"

with the "youth" being his base

and then a electoral college wipe out.

I don't expect the superdelegates to override the pledged delegates.

As far as the occasion for Obama's speech, I think it was inevitable from the beginning that some of Rev. Wright's past remarks would become an issue, and when his church decided to release Wright's sermons on video following his retirement last month, that provided journalists with a goldmine of dirt to dig through. Obama really has no choice but to address this at length if he wants to avoid large-scale abandonment by white voters scared off by the specter of the Angry Black Man, irrational though that is.

yolland said:
Obama really has no choice but to address this at length if he wants to avoid large-scale abandonment by white voters scared off by the specter of the Angry Black Man, irrational though that is.

it does not even need to be large-scale

the last two elections have turned on the smallest of margins

and I still believe this is only about 2 or 3 states.

if it is more than that it will be a blow out for McCain

U2democrat said:
There's a LOT more to Obama than being against the war.

The youth are also actually turning out this time around. There's no comparison between Obama and McCarthy.

Obama is no Eugene McCarthy.

It seems his supporters have no problem comparing him to JFK, MLKjr and RFK.

George McGovern was
a very successful candidate also from that era.

He did a very good job in the primary campaign and debates.
He did a better job getting the Democratic nomination than either Hillary or Obama.

00536D1A.jpg

Last edited:
yolland said:
abandonment by white voters scared off by the specter of the Angry Black Man, irrational though that is.

and this is what the Clintons have been playing off of, especially in the now immortal "3am" ad.

who's a bigger threat to white women and their sleeping children?

muslims?

angry black men?

or,

angry black muslim men who have funny names?

how can this stuff not make any awake human being want to scream?

I think if Obama had an (R) next to his name, he'd win in a landslide against McCain.

Race has nothing to do with his electabilty.

Let me illustrate the point this way. If Colin Powell a popular Republican were running for President in this election cycle he would bring:

Hillary
Obama
McCain
and
Mitt

all to their knees.

Race has nothing to do with nothing. Our country as a whole being right of center and divorcing itself of racist attitudes of the past would love nothing more to have a strong, non wavering, level headed military minded man leading this country during these tumultous times and the man best suited would be Colin Powell, not John McCain.

Now can we move on to a real topic?

colinpowellheadshot.jpg

dbs

diamond said:
I think if Obama had an (R) next to his name, he'd win in a landslide against McCain.

Race has nothing to do with his electabilty.

Let me illustrate the point this way. If Colin Powell a popular Republican were running for President in this election cycle he would bring:

Hillary
Obama
McCain
and
Mitt

all to their knees.

Race has nothing to do with nothing. Our country as a whole being right of center and divorcing itself of racist attitudes of the past would love nothing more to have a strong, non wavering, level headed military minded man leading this country during these tumultous times and the man best suited would be Colin Powell, not John McCain.

Now can we move on to a real topic?

if only it were that simple.

why do you think Colin Powell has never sought elected higher office?

Irvine511 said:

if only it were that simple.

why do you think Colin Powell has never sought elected higher

office?

his wife has requested him not to everytime it's been broached.

dbs

deep said:
more like 72

a candidate cinching the nomination on being "against the war"

with the "youth" being his base

and then a electoral college wipe out.
It could make for better reading if that was the case.

Story.fearandloathing.jpg

"a case of "the chickens coming home to roost."
--Malcolm X, 1963, on the assassination of JFK

"America's chickens are coming home to roost"
--Jeremiah Wright, 2001, on the first Sunday after 9/11

"But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline."
--MLK, 1963, I Have A dream speech.

Dr King saw injustice but he prayed FOR his country, not it's damnation.

Sad, truly sad to see Christians cheer this man from the pews and people here agree. :(

Last edited:

Sad, truly sad to see Christians cheer this man from the pews and people here agree. :( [/B]

yes, there's really only one way blacks should be thinking. you should go and tell them how they should talk, act, look, and pray. there's only one way to be an American, and people should ignore 400 years of history combined with their present day realities and simply be grateful that they get to live in the same country as you. anger? what anger? certainly a degree from Princeton should be more than enough to make up for Michelle Obama the number of times she's been called a bitch, or a n*gger, or not been seated at a restaurant, or not been able to get a cab, or any other number of things blacks suffer through every day. all she has to say is, "stop, cab driver! i went to Princeton and i love my country!"

INDY500 said:

Sad, truly sad to see Christians cheer this man from the pews and people here agree. :(

and, of course, you feel this way about Robertson, Fallwell, Dobson, Hagee, etc.?

INDY500 said:
"a case of "the chickens coming home to roost."
--Malcolm X, 1963, on the assassination of JFK

"America's chickens are coming home to roost"
--Jeremiah Wright, 2001, on the first Sunday after 9/11

"But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline."
--MLK, 1963, I Have A dream speech.

great post :up:

Irvine511 said:
and, of course, you feel this way about Robertson, Fallwell, Dobson, Hagee, etc.?

as a Christian evangelical, yes, I do feel the same way about these 4 you mentioned.

Irvine511 said:

Why do you keep bringing them up? Yes, they've all said bad things. But you cannot equate them to the Wright story. Believe me, if one of those four was McCain's pastor for 20 years, it would be a huge story. More and more I'm hearing Democrats on the news say "well what about Hagee?" when Wright comes up. That's a pretty weak response. If anyone thinks you can compare McCain and Hagee with Obama and Wright, you're an idiot.

MaxFisher said:

as a Christian evangelical, yes, I do feel the same way about these 4 you mentioned.

do you see them as no different than Wright? the same?

also, is it not possible to find good thoughts in the writings of MLK, Malcolm X, and Wright? or, like Indy seems to think, we have to choose one, and only one, since these three men are obviously incompatible.

despite the fact that their different writings illuminate the complexity of race in America.

it's never just one thing.

2861U2 said:

Why do you keep bringing them up? Yes, they've all said bad things. But you cannot equate them to the Wright story. Believe me, if one of those four was McCain's pastor for 20 years, it would be a huge story. More and more I'm hearing Democrats on the news say "well what about Hagee?" when Wright comes up. That's a pretty weak response. If anyone thinks you can compare McCain and Hagee with Obama and Wright, you're an idiot.

What? :huh: Hagee and Dobson have been big parts of the Republican party in general, not just McCain's campaign. So yes very comparable, they've been in your camp for years.

Back
Top Bottom