Obama delivers speech on race and politics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in regards to AIDS, i am reminded of hearing about a statement, in the early part of the epidemic, that was the following: "AIDS is killing the right people."

meaning society's undesirables. in the beginning, it was gays, IV drug users, and Haitians.

i don't think this was intentional, i don't think it was created by the government (it's too fiendish and clever a virus to have been invented). but i think that the lack of government response to the AIDS crisis in the beginning was due to the fact that it was killing people who politicians didn't want to acknowledge.

if AIDS had been killing Italian grandmothers, and if AIDS had nothing to do with sex, it would be a very different situation.

Bono's shades said:

I agree with this somewhat.

I just saw a replay of a little bit of Obama's speech on TV.

Wow. I was really moved. It also seems he's been getting rave reviews for it.

He really does seem like he's got the same protective layer of Teflon that Reagan and Bill Clinton had.

But I wouldn't count out the rabid Obama haters just yet. I think they are just waiting for him to get the nomination before they really, truly go after him. And I'm afraid it's going to be extremely ugly.

Yeah, I'm afraid it's going to be ugly.

LemonMelon said:
Barack's speech is getting extremely positive feedback. I'll track it down online in a minute.

Now, I suppose we'll just wait and see if this is enough to pull him out of the ditch or not. It won't hurt him, I'll tell you that.

It certainly won't!

deep said:

I suppose quiting the church now,
could be interpreted as throwing him under the bus, because of the timing

Obama is in a jam, of his own making

It seems a bit like people wanting me to feel sorry for Bush because the Iraq thing got so messed up.

a smarted person would have chosen a smaller church closer to his home
a couple of years ago
when he started considering higher office

I think he addressed the issue of changing churches very well in the speech.

U2democrat said:
With typical politicians in a typical election, 2-3 states will be the margin.

With someone like Obama, we will see a different electoral map. New, different states will be in play.

Yeah.

I am impressed by that statement from Mike Huckabee, that's refreshing to read and I like it. After watching Senator Obama's speech and his interviews I understand this whole situation much better. And that man is a friend of his for twenty years, he's not going to throw him under the bus for political reasons and I admire that. How many of us have friends that we are still friends with in spite of some things they say and do? Some people remain friends with people who are guilty of much more heinous things than Rev Wright is. Of course we're not running for President so for him it has to go way beyond the personal, a lesson learned I guess. I was especially touched by what Senator Obama said about his white grandmother and some race related comments that she has made.

I think it's a situation that we can all learn something from once we get past our initial reaction to it. Maybe we can think about others too and how they relate to their churches and religions.

U2democrat said:
With typical politicians in a typical election, 2-3 states will be the margin.

With someone like Obama, we will see a different electoral map. New, different states will be in play.

I think you can say the same for McCain. Right now, RCP has McCain holding Ohio and Florida against both candidates, and also leading in Pennsylvania, a blue state. He'd be tough to beat if he won all three.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I am impressed by that statement from Mike Huckabee, that's refreshing to read and I like it.

I agree. :up:

I know it's off-topic for this thread, but on television appearances and with statements like this, he seems like such a genuinely nice, reasonable and good-humoured man, almost avuncular in nature, that it's very difficult to reconcile what I see with his ghastly outlook and horrendous policies that are based on his religious-right views.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I feel so special * dreamy sigh* It's almost as good as being BFF with Mitt, but not quite

:shh: the only reason diamond wants to be friends is because you were once governed by dreamy Mitt Romney.

lucky girl.

Abomb-baby said:

Ummm No Mr. Obama I haven't. I guess the difference between me and you is that:

1. My church focuses on the teachings of Jesus, not on the political ideology of a church and a Pastor.

2. If my Pastor had made such divisive statements, and I was touting myself to be a "Post-racial Candidate", I would find another church to attend.

He said this pastor had been so involved w his life, he won't just walk away. He'd hold to the good and denounce what he felt was not good/productive.

2- DOn't you know that the black church was one of the ONLY places black people could get together and besides sharing spiritual worship and fellowship, that it WAS a place to plan political an social stuff.

on a different aspect..............the anger the preacher flamed with..........
take for instance the fact that a RECCENT study showed that
a black man WITHOUT a criminal record is STILL LESS LIKELY to be hired,
THAN a WHITE man WITH a Criminal record.

And you wonder why some black folk still get angry & bitter at times, huh?

Oh come on. There is absolutely no excuse for a man who influences so many people to spew that kind of crap. It's blatantly hateful and to continually support a church like that is ridiculous.

Even though many things that Rev. Wright said were true albeit angry, I worried that Barack had found himself trapped where he could not recover.

Today, major commentators have called this one of the greatest speeches in American history, even better than "I Have A Dream."

I don't trust such claims, especially when they come so quickly.

That said, Obama has turned something scary into such a profound moment for all of us. The attention he's received and his honesty about his white side as much as his black side suggest to me that he might actually make this greatest moment.

Frankly, I cannot imagine settling for McCain or Clinton when we have such a rhetorical genius in our midst.

Obama has flaws, but these generally have to do with how mainstream and middle of the road he is, not with how radical he is.

God bless him and his campaign and --sorry-- but goddamn the racist lynch mobs trying to stop history from being made.

Back
Top Bottom