O Canada, We Want to Move to Thee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious about any of the complaints our Canadian posters have about living in Canada? I know drugs are cheap, but from what I know there are some other big issues with health care (not like we don't have our own...).

Come on up and join us! :wave:

Canada is one of the least jingoistic countries you will find, and we tend not to be blatant flag-wavers, but today I can honestly say that I am really, really happy to be a Canadian.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I can't wait to get out of here for a couple of days this weekend. :up:

I'm proud to be American, btw, just so no one accuses me of ever being unpatriotic. :wink:

(I was supposed to stop posting in here today.)

Same here! A few days in Canada this weekend will be a nice change but realistically, I don't know many people who will actually follow through with their threats to move.

Last edited:
and our election campaigns last about 6 weeks. and theres between 3 and 5 parties.

bonosloveslave said:
I'm curious about any of the complaints our Canadian posters have about living in Canada? I know drugs are cheap, but from what I know there are some other big issues with health care (not like we don't have our own...).

relatively speaking, canada's health care problems seem minor.

the problems that we do have exist because the system is not perfect. at the moment it is ok. given the right funding regime and regulatory environment it would be great and perhaps approach perfection.

in short each province and territory receives health care $ from the federal gov and tops that up with their own contribution, which will obviously vary. in exchange for the cash the feds require the provs to abide by the canada health act (minimal private service delivery, minimal user fees, acceptable wait times, etc).

as you can see from this system, conflict will arise from the requirement to abide by the federal rules-provinces argue that each of their situations is unique and thus they should not be treated unilaterally. provinces have come up with various ways of responding (threats to forfeit the act and fund their own way, begin private delivery, etc.)

the real problem for 'users' is the increase in wait times. eastern ontario recently had a MRI wait of 8 weeks or so i believe. surgeries are delayed.

a recent federal : provincial deal hopes to resolve these problems however. more money was provisioned and the provinces agreed to performance indicators (for things like wait times).

the newer threat is primary care practitioners. i can't find a doctor in ottawa. none are accepting patients. i will eventually have to resort to going to the suburbs for one. there are several supposed causes: we do not give qualified doctors immigrating to the nation a fair shot at qualifying to work as one in canada, we are not producing enough doctors and those that we are producing are very attracted to the states as we are not paying nearly the same amount.

im not much of a health care user but that is my understanding. if anyone has any questions, pm me.

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:

Same here! A few days in Canada this weekend will be a nice chance but realistically, I don't know many people who will actually follow through with their threats to move.

I know two people who have already moved to Canada (both gay) and one who is moving to Austria this weekend. All of them have other good reasons to move (significant others, jobs, etc.) but all say that the current political climate in the US was one of the top 3 reasons.

And I have a marriage proposal from my ex-Italian boyfriend. :sexywink: It's all been a joke but he actually would marry me to give me an Italian passport if I wanted it.

But, this American story isn't over yet. I think everyone should relax and remain hopeful as events continue to play out on the world stage. I do believe in karma and that when we exercise our free will to promote change and it doesn't happen, it's meant to be. I'm not a Christian and am sorta down on religions in general, but I do believe in a supreme being that oversees everything that happens and this must be Its will.

And as the brilliant Cornel West said to me when I had the opportunity to meet him last year, "You be strong in your work, sistah, you be strong."

Last edited:
joyfulgirl said:

I know two people who have already moved to Canada (both gay) and one who is moving to Austria this weekend. All of them have other good reasons to move (significant others, jobs, etc.) but all say that the current political climate in the US was one of the top 3 reasons.

And I have a marriage proposal from my ex-Italian boyfriend. :sexywink: It's all been a joke but he actually would marry me to give me an Italian passport if I wanted it.

But, this American story isn't over yet. I think everyone should relax and remain hopeful as events continue to play out on the world stage. I do believe in karma and that when we exercise our free will to promote change and it doesn't happen, it's meant to be. I'm not a Christian and am sorta down on religions in general, but I do believe in a supreme being that oversees everything that happens and this must be Its will.

And as the brilliant Cornel West said to me when I had the opportunity to meet him last year, "You be strong in your work, sistah, you be strong."

I have the same belief that whatever happens it meant to be. That's why I can have some peace and calm about this whole thing. For one reason or another this was the way it was meant to be. Whether it's to teach Americans a lesson, or it is a good and right step, I don't know. All I know is God is in charge and God knows what He's doing.

Ya know, if this thread wasn't created by a moderator, it would probably be closed.

Being a resident of PA, I also find this pretty offensive as well:

I DIDN'T vote for Kerry, nor did 48% of the state. Fat Ed's Philly was the only reason PA went blue.

BTW, Kerry wouldn't aprove of this thread either, as he chose SE Asia over Canada a while back...

They had some ex patriots from the US on CBC news the past couple weeks, one of whom was totally in tears over the whole thing, saying it was the only way she felt she had a voice..

I heard a few people on CBC radio from San Francisco saying they wanted to move to Canada - one young girl even said, "Vancouver, here I come!" San Fran and Van are quite similar in some ways I guess. :shrug:

I love Canada.

I was born elsewhere, lived in 3 different countries before coming here as a refugee. I remember it well, the day I arrived - I was 12 years old, lived through poverty and communism and war and came to a place that owed me nothing and gave me everything it had. I will never forget that or lose the gratitude.

The true north, strong and free, they're not just words.

bonosloveslave said:
I'm curious about any of the complaints our Canadian posters have about living in Canada? I know drugs are cheap
Because the US pays all the R&D costs for the drugs before the pharmaceutical companies sell them up north.

And some politicians want us to import cheaper drugs from Canada, i.e. they want the government to pay for them twice.

but from what I know there are some other big issues with health care (not like we don't have our own...).

Just hope that you don't tear an ACL up there.

joyfulgirl said:

I know... one who is moving to Austria this weekend.

Tell them they are welcome in Austria!

If they need anything, I am happy to offer some help.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

Tell them they are welcome in Austria!

If they need anything, I am happy to offer some help.

:hug:

She used to live in Vienna so she has lots of friends there but I told her maybe I'd come visit when U2 tours. I'll let you know. :)

Funny, I just came across this article on www.commondreams.org.

Ten Reasons Not to Move to Canada
by Sarah Anderson
November 3, 2004

Ready to say screw this country and buy a one-way ticket north? Here are some reasons to stay in the belly of the beast.

1. The Rest of the World. After the February 2003 antiwar protests, the New York Times described the global peace movement as the world's second superpower. Their actions didn't prevent the war, but protestors in nine countries have succeeded in pressuring their governments to pull their troops from Iraq and/or withdraw from the so-called coalition of the willing. Antiwar Americans owe it to themajority of the people on this planet who agree with them to stay and do what they can to end the suffering in Iraq and prevent future pre-emptive wars.

2. People Power Can Trump Presidential Power. The strength of social movements can be more important than whoever is in the White House. Example: In 1970, President Nixon supported the Occupational Safety and Health Act, widely considered the most important pro-worker legislation of the last 50 years. It didnt happen because Nixon loved labor unions, but because union power was strong. Stay and help build the peace, economic justice, environmental and other social movements that can make change.

3. The great strides made in voter registration and youth mobilization must be built on rather than abandoned.

click for the other 7
http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1103-28.htm

This "America vs Canada" or another country comparison is silly. Every country has its good and bad points.

Canada rocks in many ways and sucks in many ways (ask the Aboriginal Nations). I'm from Pakistan...moved here (Vancouver, BC) in the mid-'70s...it's the best country i've ever experienced. US is a close second (better say this as my wife is 'Murrican) ...Turkey a close third. Pakistan? Ah well, it's trying.

However, moving here because you didn't like the result of a democratic process in the States sounds disingenious. Things can change if enough people want them to...eventually.

**edited to add the "dis" in "ingenious"!

Last edited:
I can perfectly well understand your feelings pax, when you see that more than half your country could bring themselves to vote for someone like Bush. However though quitting might release the disgust of having to live in a society that in its majority considers this President a valid leader and stands by the values he supports, unfortunately you can never get away completely because American politics have a tremendous impact throughout the world and most especially on our Western side.

[q]Unhappy Democrats Need to Wait to Get Into Canada

Wed Nov 3, 1:16 PM ET

By David Ljunggren

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Disgruntled Democrats seeking a safe Canadian haven after President Bush (news - web sites) won Tuesday's election should not pack their bags just yet.

Canadian officials made clear on Wednesday that any U.S. citizens so fed up with Bush that they want to make a fresh start up north would have to stand in line like any other would-be immigrants -- a wait that can take up to a year.

"You just can't come into Canada and say 'I'm going to stay here'. In other words, there has to be an application. There has to be a reason why the person is coming to Canada," said immigration ministry spokeswoman Maria Iadinardi.

There are anywhere from 600,000 to a million Americans living in Canada, a country that leans more to the left than the United States and has traditionally favored the Democrats over the Republicans.

But recent statistics show a gradual decline in U.S. citizens coming to work in Canada, which has a creaking publicly funded healthcare system and relatively high levels of personal taxation.

Government officials, real estate brokers and Democrat activists said that while some Americans might talk about a move to Canada rather than living with a new Bush administration, they did not expect a mass influx.

"It's one thing to say 'I'm leaving for Canada' and quite another to actually find a job here and wonder about where you're going to live and where the children are going to go to school," said one government official.

Roger King of the Toronto-based Democrats Abroad group said he had heard nothing to back up talk of a possible exodus of party members.

"I imagine most committed Democrats will want to stay in the United States and continue being politically active there," he told Reuters.

Americans seeking to immigrate can apply to become permanent citizens of Canada, a process that often takes a year. Becoming a full citizen takes a further three years.

The other main way to move north on a long-term basis is to find a job, which in all cases requires a work permit. This takes from four to six months to come through.

Official statistics show the number of U.S. workers entering Canada dropped to 15,789 in 2002 from 21,627 in 2000. Early indicators on Wednesday showed little sign of this changing.

A spokesman for Canada's foreign affairs ministry said there had been no increase in the number of hits on the Washington embassy's immigration Web site, while housing brokers said they doubted they would see a surge in U.S. business.

"Canada's always open and welcoming to Americans who want to relocate here, but we don't think it would be a trend or movement," said Gino Romanese of Royal Lepage Residential Real Estate Services in Toronto.

Those wishing to move to Canada could always take a risk and claim refugee status -- the path chosen earlier this year by two U.S. deserters who opposed the war in Iraq (news - web sites).

"Anybody who enters Canada who claims refugee status will be provided with a work permit ... it doesn't matter what country they're from," Iadinardi said.

Refugee cases are handled by special boards, which can take months to decide whether to admit applicants. The rulings can be appealed and opposition politicians complain some people ordered deported have been in Canada for 10 years or more. [/q]

Judah said:
This "America vs Canada" or another country comparison is silly. Every country has its good and bad points.

Canada rocks in many ways and sucks in many ways (ask the Aboriginal Nations). I'm from Pakistan...moved here (Vancouver, BC) in the mid-'70s...it's the best country i've ever experienced. US is a close second (better say this as my wife is 'Murrican) ...Turkey a close third. Pakistan? Ah well, it's trying.

However, moving here because you didn't like the result of a democratic process in the States sounds disingenious. Things can change if enough people want them to...eventually.

**edited to add the "dis" in "ingenious"!

"Ingenious" and "disingenuous" are both words, but "disingenious" is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom