NYC has stopped recycling pickups....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McGlinn

Babyface
Now we have rats in the steets.

All the entrepreneurs of the street are now scavenging through dirty garbage bags filled with rotting meat and dirty dim sum to get at the 5 cent morsels.

Bring back recycling, please.

Yours truly,

MiCk

dude, what part of NYC are you in? Where I'm at they're still picking up metal cans and newspapers but stopped picking up plastic and glass containers. The 5 cent deposit is on metal cans only I believe.

As for the rats and people picking through trash for cans-- this is New York City. The rats and trash pickers were a normal occurance before they changed the recycling rules.

Does it suck that they stopped part of the recycling program? Yep. But at least part of it is still going and you can find local recycling outlets to drop off your stuff.

sharky said:
dude, what part of NYC are you in?

Kensington, Crooklyn.

As for the rats and people picking through trash for cans-- this is New York City. The rats and trash pickers were a normal occurance before they changed the recycling rules.

Before the trash pickers were only searching in bags that had just cans. Now that everyone is putting the cans and bottles with the trash, they are all creating a mess.

check out this article via the daily news:

The end of plastic and glass recycling has left the streets of Gravesend strewn with garbage and a magnet for rats, says Assemblyman William Colton.
"Now that people are disposing of their deposit bottles with their regular garbage, scavengers looking to collect the 5 cents are ripping the bags open and leaving a mess on the streets," he said.

Colton (D-Gravesend), chairman of the Legislative Commission on Solid Waste, said he heard complaints about the trash days after the recycling program was suspended. "The program was suspended on July1. We recorded the first complaint on July 10," he said.

City Councilman Michael McMahon, (D-S.I.), who led the effort to preserve the plastic- and glass-recycling program said he's not surprised.

"It's unfortunate but I'm being proven right in that I predicted this would happen," McMahon said. "One of the forces that led to recycling in the first place was people were rummaging through the trash after the deposit law was passed.

"I'm afraid the problem is only going to get worse," he said.

Colton said in his neighborhood the problem is bad enough right now.

"We have already seen the development of a rodent problem and residents in the community are up in arms," Colton said. "I understand there is some construction work going on [in] the nearby subway which could bring out the rodents. But those ripped-open garbage bags are an invitation to rats."

Inspected & baited

A spokesman for the city's Health Department said several Gravesend areas have been inspected for rats, and poison bait has been distributed.

"We also encourage everyone to use containers with rodent-proof lids," said agency spokesman Greg Butler.

Sanitation spokesman Vito Turso said the department anticipated problems when it suspended the recycling program. "We recognized there would be some problems in pulling glass from the recycling program," Turso said.

"But just because people can no longer mix glass and plastic with their cans and metals doesn't mean you can put those items out separately," Turso said. "I'm not advocating as a policy, but just because the bottles are put out separately doesn't mean they won't be picked up as garbage."

MIck

It sucks.....

I agree with you, it is definetly causing a mess.

There's a guy in our neighborhood, who is NOT a bum or homeless, he just collects the cans and bottles. Whenever I see him digging in the garbage now it makes me want to pass around fliers on my block to suggest putting bottles seperate for him.

He's harmless, and he's probably unemployed and he'll helps the garbage men, so why not help him out instead of risking the trash to get messy.

Plus I hate throwing soda bottles and other plastics in the garbage now....it takes up so much room!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom