Nuke-u-ler. It's pronounced nuke-u-ler.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thatsnotmypuppy

War Child
One bomb.

No respect for human life.

Where would you take out?

Totally hypothetical of course.

This topic was started on another board and got... slightly interesting and heated.

i don't understand the title. it is actually pronounced "new-clee-ur"

maybe it is just me, and given recent events in my life. but this is pretty nasty. i'm not participating. i just wanted to restate the pronounciation.

Sorry - title was an attempt at recreating a Simpsons quote. The point is to determine where in the world as it stands now you would rather not have as an issue. On another forum Jerusalem was the big winner (if you could describe it as a win).

It is a nasty question - but one that can open other avenues of discussion.

I can think of plenty of places with problems I'd "rather not have as an issue", but I can't think of any where dropping a nuclear bomb would do much to 'solve' them, whether I had "respect for human life" or not. Not sure where you first saw this question, but I must say it seems like a pretty f*ed-up way of getting at the topic, especially on an international forum such as this one.

yolland said:
I can think of plenty of places with problems I'd "rather not have as an issue", but I can't think of any where dropping a nuclear bomb would do much to 'solve' them, whether I had "respect for human life" or not.

True story: my old boss (an Israeli Jew) thought he had the perfect solution for the Middle East. Give everyone in Israel (+ Gaza and West Bank) 2 weeks to vacate the land (give them all immigration papers for other countries) and then drop several nukes so the land is uninhabitable for 10,000 years. Anyone who chooses to stay, too bad for you.

I'm not joking either.

That example was pretty much what people came up with on another forum. Utterly horrific and unPC - but it openend the avanues of conversation. From there we discussed how Australia may have ended up being the Jewish homeland (true story - north Western Australia was mooted as apossible home land in the 40's) and how the Arab neighbours to Israel would handle millions more refugees etc.

anitram said:

True story: my old boss (an Israeli Jew) thought he had the perfect solution for the Middle East. Give everyone in Israel (+ Gaza and West Bank) 2 weeks to vacate the land (give them all immigration papers for other countries) and then drop several nukes so the land is uninhabitable for 10,000 years. Anyone who chooses to stay, too bad for you.

I'm not joking either.

Go to the conservative site Free Republic, and you'll see suggestions like that 10 times in any Middle East/Muslim thread. Turn it all into a glass ashtray! Yeehaw!

yolland said:
I can think of plenty of places with problems I'd "rather not have as an issue", but I can't think of any where dropping a nuclear bomb would do much to 'solve' them, whether I had "respect for human life" or not. Not sure where you first saw this question, but I must say it seems like a pretty f*ed-up way of getting at the topic, especially on an international forum such as this one.

:yes:

Auckland. Now where's timothius so we can continue our long-standing Auckland vs Wellington "feud"? :wink:

anitram said:

I'm not joking either.

But what would be the point of that? Nuking land doesn't solve social problems...if you want to solve those via nuclear weapons, it's the people you need to nuke, not the land.

I get what he's getting at, but does anyone really believe that "land disputes" are about land?

Unless they all go to the same place and fight there...

CTU2fan said:
Unless they all go to the same place and fight there...

Ah! You're sounding like a Republican! Move the Israeli's and Palestinians to North Western Australia and have them fight it out there = "Middle East" Issue Solved!

I must be a really bad person, but the first thing I thought was: wait until Congress is in session and everyone is there cause it's a big issue (or all the cameras are on and they all want to be seen by the folks back home "working for 'em") and then nuke DC.

No, it wouldn't solve any problems (because politicians are like cockroaches -- even when you kill one there are dozens more to take it's place), but for a split second it would feel good. :)

Im surprised nobody has proposed knocking out an ice shelf or triggering a volcanic erruption; but maybe thats just the supervillain in me.

kellyahern said:

I dream of attending a Bush event and screaming out, "It's 'new-clee-ur'! 'New-clee-ur' you dumbass! You went to Yale for God's sake, say it right!" :rant:

It has always really bugged me :reject:.

Not to mention his brutalizing of the word "terror" and it's various forms. I mean, the "War on Tear" (or tare, whatever)? It's "terrOr" you jackass, not only can't you win a war against it, ya can't even SAY it.

You know, it wasn't bad enough we elected a boob president. Gotta love America, we RE-elected one :( USA, USA!

indra said:
I must be a really bad person, but the first thing I thought was: wait until Congress is in session and everyone is there cause it's a big issue (or all the cameras are on and they all want to be seen by the folks back home "working for 'em") and then nuke DC. :)

holy shit... give us some advance warning so the rest of us can get out! :shifty:

CTU2fan said:
Not to mention his brutalizing of the word "terror" and it's various forms. I mean, the "War on Tear" (or tare, whatever)? It's "terrOr" you jackass, not only can't you win a war against it, ya can't even SAY it.

:lol: This is one of my pet peeves. Tare-rists. Tare-er. :huh: Then again, I never listen to the man speak anymore; if he comes on, I change the channel. I don't want to waste even a few seconds of my life on him.

Back
Top Bottom