nuclear fearz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonofnattic

The Fly
My buddy at work says I listen to too much News-radio, but I'm getting creeped out by this stuff. Is anyone else a bit "freaked" from talk about a "shadow gov't" to function in case of nuclear attack? What about the U.S. gov't moving sensors to the borders to detect "dirty bombs" & such? Methinks it's scary.

Evil people SUCK.

This is exactly why they must be rooted out wherever they are, and destroyed, because if they are NOT.. then they will attack us again... ON our Soil.. They've done it before, and they're more than planning on doing it again.

Congratulations, you see how shitty these people are.

And just another point about the shadow government.. There are ~3,000,000 Government Workers/Employees here in this country.. And how many people are in this proposed/created shadow government?.. 75-125... Which means that 99% of all the government workers we have are Unnecessary.. We can run our country with 75 people in charge of things... Just think about that.. When you hear all those people complaining that they're not being told enough of the gov't. It's cuz they're embarrassed to not be a part of this gov't.. In other words Necessary to the Gov't.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-05-2002).]

Originally posted by Lemonite:
There are ~3,000,000 Government Workers/Employees here in this country.. And how many people are in this proposed/created shadow government?.. 75-125... Which means that 99% of all the government workers we have are Unnecessary.. We can run our country with 75 people in charge of things... Just think about that..

Um..Lemonite. I think our federal government has some fat that should be trimmed off, and could be run more efficiently. But the statement that we only need 75 people to run the federal government...that was a joke right? Sorry to get off topic, I just wanted to be sure.

And yes, bonofnattic, the "dirty bomb" idea is a very scary one. Sometimes I can get really freaked out thinking about. Mostly I try not to think about it.

Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
But the statement that we only need 75 people to run the federal government...that was a joke right? Sorry to get off topic, I just wanted to be sure.

Yah.. In all modes of senses and purposes, It is a Joke.. But isn't it a thought-provoking little statement, I mean look at it this way, If we had to.. our government would be run by only 100 people... It's one of those situations that is just weird/crazed/so Far from what we have now...

But yah, more of a Radical Parallel to provoke thought et al.

L.Unplugged

Perhaps this is the ostrich approach, but I try not to worry constantly about things that are out of my control. If something is going to happen, it will happen regardless of how much I fret or don't fret. Why waste the mental and emotional energy? I dunno. If there are things I can actively do to help prevent disasters from occuring, then by all means I'll do so. But other than that, all I can do is live well, make each day count, and focus on the things that matter most in life, not waste those moments worrying about things that can't be changed.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Perhaps this is the ostrich approach.

Ahhh, the ostrich approach
biggrin.gif
. That's great!

As far as 3,000,000 government employees are concerned, remember that teachers, construction workers, cops, and firemen all are government workers. You have a good 2 million right there. As far as America needing to trim a little government fat, oh hell yes. It makes me so angry how many councils and crap like that we have roaming around either proving the obvious or nothing at all to us, all the while spending my tax money!!
mad.gif

------------------
*Proud owner, maker, and baker of THE U2 cookies*

Hey, I wil re-join the government on monday. I hope you don't want me to be trimmed
frown.gif

This is exactly why they must be rooted out wherever they are, and destroyed, because if they are NOT.. then they will attack us again... ON our Soil.. They've done it before, and they're more than planning on doing it again.

Um, thats alot easier said than done. Do you really think we can root out and destroye very possible terrorist cell capable of danger? You really do believe the hype dont ya?

Here's a thought: If we can root out and destroy every terrorist cell capable of homeland danger, SIX MONTHS after 9/11, why isnt Osama's head on a plate???

Not to scare you all, but there will be more terrorist attacks and more wars on terror because everytime we go into these muslim extremists countries, the people that would never think of killing americans but have their brothers/children/parents killed by a war on a government that they did not even support, we are angering ALL the Moslem extremists in ALL the Moslem countries. It is a never ending cycle.

Am I against what is being done in the Middle East? No, not really. I wish we had been quick, tactical, and accurate. But we werent, and it looks like we will have to pay the price in the long run. When will Osama be dead or on trial for the 9/11 atrocities? Why isnt anyone upset with the Administration for not accomplishing this yet?

Although I am not against the war on terror, I am not fooled for a moment into thinking that the U.S. will be safer any time in the near future.

Things have changed forever.

Now, regarding the shadow government, that is a good idea. Duh, what if some sneaks a nuke in or makes one and takes it to DC. How much damage does our government suffer? Too much.

Shadow government is smart thinking, too bad we weren't smarter in every way possible.

[This message has been edited by U2LA (edited 03-07-2002).]

I think it would take a miracle to catch Osama. Think about it, it's just one person. Even if US military/intelligence/whatever was a million times better then it is, it's pretty easy for one person to 'disappear' when he's got half the Middle East, Africa and Asia to play hide and seek with. It's just one person.

I think it's unrealistic for people to expect the US to get him. I don't think they've failed if they don't. I think it would be pretty incredible if they did.
It's also unrealistic for the US to think they can rid the world of terrorism. They can smash the worlds worst, hardcore networks succesfully, but it only takes one person who is pissed off to be able to do something that can be pretty devestating, and this isn't a bashing, but I can't see that people being pissed off with the US is going to end anytime soon, it will probably get worse.

And the shadow government, it could work with just 75 people, but they'd have to accept doubling up a few jobs, like George Bush, in between being President and Commander in Chief would have to do a little time on reception, take a few calls while Colin Powell, the normal receptionist, is on lunch break. Donald Rumsfield orders the stationary in between military briefings. Stuff like that.

Originally posted by U2LA:
Um, thats alot easier said than done.

Here's a thought: If we can root out and destroy every terrorist cell capable of homeland danger, SIX MONTHS after 9/11, why isnt Osama's head on a plate???

Am I against what is being done in the Middle East? No, not really. I wish we had been quick, tactical, and accurate. But we werent, and it looks like we will have to pay the price in the long run. When will Osama be dead or on trial for the 9/11 atrocities? Why isnt anyone upset with the Administration for not accomplishing this yet?

Although I am not against the war on terror, I am not fooled for a moment into thinking that the U.S. will be safer any time in the near future.

Oh Boy.. Apparently you have not read my posts where I have also stated in support of the administrations statements that this is not going to be over in 6 months.. There is no 'hype' to this. You'd be a fool to believe there is, It's a lengthy plan, with long term goals, 6 Months is hardly a lengthy amount of time.

USA not being tactical?.. WHy do you think there is this huuuge battle going on right now, where we've got hundreds of Al Queda and Taliban surrounded?.. Because instead of taking the leaders out one by one, We let them regroup, giving us the opportunity to take many leaders out at one time.. Tactical?.. Extremely.

And again, to reemphasize the post above, It's very difficult to find one person, especially one with connections, one with money, and one with many places to hide, in a short amount of time.. don't think for a minute that this war is a failure if we don't get Osama or Mullah Omar, That's just a small part of the objective.. It's the 'public's' objective.. And It will happen, Our intelligence is so shitty right now, It's amazing we're knocking out the things/people we are.. But it's getting better, Just be patient, they will be caught and killed.

We'll be able to judge if we're safer 10 years down the road, but I will say that we have caught many and stopped even more terrorist acts from happening since we started this War on Terrorism, if anything, more than if we had done nothing after 9/11.

L.Unplugged

Oh Boy.. Apparently you have not read my posts where I have also stated in support of the administrations statements that this is not going to be over in 6 months..

No I haven't read them as I find Free Your Mind a bit much to deal with on a daily basis, I have to be in the right mood. so I havent read all the posts in this Forum...

USA not being tactical?.. WHy do you think there is this huuuge battle going on right now, where we've got hundreds of Al Queda and Taliban surrounded?.. Because instead of taking the leaders out one by one, We let them regroup, giving us the opportunity to take many leaders out at one time.. Tactical?.. Extremely.

That makes alot of sense. Hope it is true...(I dont believe everything the government tells us)

And again, to reemphasize the post above, It's very difficult to find one person, especially one with connections, one with money, and one with many places to hide, in a short amount of time.. don't think for a minute that this war is a failure if we don't get Osama or Mullah Omar, That's just a small part of the objective.. It's the 'public's' objective.. And It will happen, Our intelligence is so shitty right now, It's amazing we're knocking out the things/people we are.. But it's getting better, Just be patient, they will be caught and killed.

We'll be able to judge if we're safer 10 years down the road, but I will say that we have caught many and stopped even more terrorist acts from happening since we started this War on Terrorism, if anything, more than if we had done nothing after 9/11.

L.Unplugged

Good points...I am just a bit more pessimistic about them being able to eradicate terrorists(and terrorism in this country) as you indicated earlier. It takes a leap of faith to believe that, and after all the faith I had shattered on 9/11, it aint so easy to believe again.

[This message has been edited by U2LA (edited 03-07-2002).]

If you are worried now, imagine what it must have been like for kids growing up in the 1950s! Just go ask your parents or grandparents for most of you...

Sorry, I forgot where I lived then.

Hey, I grew up in the 70s and the nuiclear threat was pretty scary back then too. It wasn't until the fall of Russia that things got a little mellower in that area.

ANyone remember this: FREEZE NOW!

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
If you are worried now, imagine what it must have been like for kids growing up in the 1950s! Just go ask your parents or grandparents for most of you...

Sorry, I forgot where I lived then.

Hell, let's remember the 1940's, when our grandparents were facing three facist regimes. Did they worry that they might never be able to utterly rid the world of totalitarianism? Prolly not. And even if they did worry, they still went to work and went to war.

Back
Top Bottom