Now I'm Getting Pissed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
WASHINGTON - Congressional budget negotiators have decided to take back $125 million in Sept. 11 aid from New York, which had fought to keep the money to treat sick and injured ground zero workers, lawmakers said Tuesday.

New York officials had sought for months to hold onto the funding, originally meant to cover increased worker compensation costs stemming from the 2001 terror attacks.

But a massive labor and health spending bill moving fitfully through House-Senate negotiations would take back that funding, lawmakers said.

"It seems that despite our efforts the rescission will stand, very sadly, and that is something of a promise broken," said Rep. Vito Fossella (news, bio, voting record), R-N.Y. "We will try hard in the coming weeks, but ultimately Congress will have something of a black eye over this."

A spokeswoman for Rep. John Sweeney (news, bio, voting record), R-N.Y., said the congressman also had been told New York would lose the funding in whatever compromise version of the spending bill finally reaches the floor.

The tug-of-war over the $125 million began earlier this year when the White House proposed taking the money back because the state had not yet spent it.

New York protested, saying the money was part of the $20 billion pledged by President Bush to help rebuild after the Sept. 11 attacks. Health advocates said the money is needed to treat current and future illnesses among ground zero workers.

The Senate voted last month to let New York keep the $125 million, but the House made no such move. House and Senate budget negotiators then decided to take the money back, lawmakers and aides said.

Top New York fire officials recently lobbied Congress to keep the funding. Fire and police officials say they worry that many people will develop long-term lung and mental health problems from their time working on the burning pile of toxic debris at ground zero and they want to use the money to help them.

Fossella and other New York officials hope they can win the money back in an emergency spending measure, expected later this year, that would pay for Hurricane Katrina recovery efforts.

Welcome to the true nature of the Republican Party. Someone has to pay for all the tax cuts for the wealthy and the war that has no end.

Melon

I read somewhere recently that appx the same amount of relief money has been raised for katrina as 9/11 for victims. It came out to be about $3M per victim in 9/11, and $1000 per household in Katrina.

I doubt they will run short on money for 9/11 victims. The reality may be that funding for this program is already covered. But the emotional impact of "taking away" funds makes a far better story.

nbcrusader said:
I doubt they will run short on money for 9/11 victims. The reality may be that funding for this program is already covered. But the emotional impact of "taking away" funds makes a far better story.

I actually agree with you. I work for a nonprofit and when our grantees don't use all the money we give them during the term of the grant it's really not okay for the money to just sit there--both we and our grantees are accountable to the IRS for how the money is given and spent. They can't just decide "oh, we'll just keep it in case we need it next year." Nope, they have to present a new grant proposal for the remaining funds. We very rarely rescind but they simply have to use the money for the purpose for which they were given it or present a new grant proposal for the remaining funds. Of course this is completey different from what's happening in NYC (because of the long term health possibilties) but I do agree that it's possible that the amount of money that was needed was simply over-estimated.

eh hem... pardon my french, but some of you are out of your F'ing minds.

really... how long until 9/11 is just another day, the same way december 7th is? 2 years? 5 years? 10? or is it already?

we really do live in a what have you done for me lately nation... and it friggin pisses me off. they're even getting ready to lift the ban on knives on airplanes. the ACLU fights tooth and nail every single security measure put in place in new york city. fire departments in bumfuck montana get more funds per resident than the FDNY does.

the rebuilding process is not complete... newsflash... the recovery process still isn't complete. but we've already forgotten. wonderful.

after everything is done... after the skyline is restored, after the proper research is done on the long term effects being suffered by those who worked 24 hour shifts on a steaming pile of rubble, despertely seaking out survivors... after EVERYTHING is done... if there's still money left over? by all means... take it back. but you do not fucking touch a penny of that money until everything is done.

Ok, I see what you're saying and believe me, I hate this fucking administration and how they spend money in all the wrong places. I am also an ex-New Yorker with friends directly impacted by 9/11. I was simply offering a perspective as a grantor as to why it's a problem when money isn't spent. You don't have to get so nasty.

I'm saddened by the fact that the $125M from the federal government is gone, but I'm sure it won't mean that the people who need help won't get it.

I'll just get to pay for it through my NY state taxes (NJ and CT will also pay too!).

Don't think for a minute that this means the feds have forgotten 9/11. It's a terribly difficult thing to manage the budget, and I thank those who have the guts to do it and face the anger :mad:.

Back
Top Bottom