Now I'm confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
Yes, please only cite science that keeps in line with traditional environmental dogma.

and whenever possible, confuse the issue and distract with shiny objects that distract from mountains of evidence.

Ignoring some evidence to focus on select evidence doesn't lend credibility to the argument.

This is not the first time scientific evidence has been presented disputing the notion that man-made climate change is occurring.

nbcrusader said:
Ignoring some evidence to focus on select evidence doesn't lend credibility to the argument.

This is not the first time scientific evidence has been presented disputing the notion that man-made climate change is occurring.

look! a puppy!

nbcrusader said:

you're incorrect on the 2nd part.

there's a general consensus that climate change is due to human activity. that's not a question.

the question is how much and to what extent.

Irvine511 said:

you're incorrect on the 2nd part.

there's a general consensus that climate change is due to human activity. that's not a question.

the question is how much and to what extent.

No, that is incorrect.

The general consensus is politically driven, selective highlighting of scientific data.

Last year, we had a thread about the political pressures placed on scientists who do not automatically accept the "general consensus".

:scratch: Well, as far as I can tell there's no new evidence nor research involved here--just some random Russian astronomer proclaiming that it's gonna happen....?

nbcrusader said:

No, that is incorrect.

The general consensus is politically driven, selective highlighting of scientific data.

Last year, we had a thread about the political pressures placed on scientists who do not automatically accept the "general consensus".

no, you are incorrect.

the consensus, as expressed in 2001 by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the National Academy of Sciences, and recently confirmed by a joint statement of the G8 academies of science, is that nearly all the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities; most "evidence" to the contrary is usually politically influenced and designed to give certain people "ammunition" to help them ignore this overwhelming evidence so they continue to consume fossil fuels at current levels.

ignore at your own peril. soon, you may have beachfront property!

It's widely accepted that solar variation has had an effect on the climate in the past, and will no doubt have effects in the future. However, I'd be curious to hear about this astronomer's motivation for taking such a strong stance on this.

Last edited:
DrTeeth said:
However, I'd be curious to hear about this astronomer's motivation for taking such a strong stance on this.

Got his name in the news? :shurg:

One Russian scientist claims that the earth is going to get colder soon, and it means that global warming is therefore false? I'd wait until at least one other "authority" agrees that it will get colder.

Irvine511 said:
the consensus, as expressed in 2001 by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the National Academy of Sciences, and recently confirmed by a joint statement of the G8 academies of science, is that nearly all the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities; most "evidence" to the contrary is usually politically influenced and designed to give certain people "ammunition" to help them ignore this overwhelming evidence so they continue to consume fossil fuels at current levels.

And the global warming mantra help envirnomentalist organizations in their fundraising. The political influence to maintain the "general consensus" is tremendous, especially when we can blame "evil corporations" or "consumers of fossil fuels" if we don't step in line.

Do you really think proposed reductions of emmissions as a percentage of the volume of the atmosphere will make an impact? Or will natural cycles cause the changes we "fear"?

nbcrusader said:

Start Here

If you are open to this idea, I am sure you will find more.

OMG!!!

you mean one scientist disagrees with everyone else? let's listen to him first, and only, and then use him to discredit everyone else.

you would never be so casual to dismiss international consensus on the basis of one dissenter on any other topic, why are you so willing to do so on this subject?

this sounds like the same tactic used to dissmiss the "mainstream media" -- it's liberal! every word is meant to further an agenda! don't listen to any of it! it's in some groups best interests to keep up interest in climate change! it's all about lining the pockets of those greedy scientists and facult members! don't listen to any of them!

if you're ever in DC, i'd like you to meet my friend who works for the EPA. she'll tell you stories about the extent to which the Bush administration goes to stifle the EPA on this subject, precisely because the actual science about what fossil fuels are doing to the earth -- in conjunction with other factors, everyone agrees that climate change is in some part natural, and in many parts man made -- would spell disaster for the oil companies.

Well now NBC, you said the political pressure was tremendous, so you wouldn't mind giving me a few more links now would you? This one particular example is highly unconvincing. That's probably why the thread didn't really get much response.

One thing I at least would say is that the issue is very politically charged, but most of the political pressure I see seems to be aimed against Global Warming science, not supporting it.

nbcrusader said:
OMG!!!!!!

I said start here.

But I guess your ONE friend who will give a non-partisian view

notice that my ONE friend isn't on TV. she has no agenda to push, it was revealed over a few beers.

but because she's friends with me, she must be a raging liberal who's just a Bush-hater, so let's dismiss her outright before she can open her mouth.

DrTeeth said:
One thing I at least would say is that the issue is very politically charged, but most of the political pressure I see seems to be aimed against Global Warming science, not supporting it.

bingo.

there's much more money to be made going against the consensus than agreeing with it.

DrTeeth said:

Between the UN and all the countries who signed up to the Kyoto Treaty, you think most of the political pressure is against global warming science??

nbcrusader said:

Between the UN and all the countries who signed up to the Kyoto Treaty, you think most of the political pressure is against global warming science??

between the oil companies and the car companies and the US government, who do you think is going to spend the most amount of money to do whatever they can to grasp at any straws to discredit the general consensus that much of climate change is due to man-made activity?

Irvine511 said:

and whenever possible, confuse the issue and distract with shiny objects that distract from mountains of evidence.
Sorry but have you read the forcast for Europe with climate change? Predictions of glaciers covering Wales, extremely cold winters. The idea of global warming has been discredited because global climate is more complex than a 1:1 - CO2: Heating effect. That is why the terminology climate change has been introduced.

Far from distracting from the mountains of evidence pieces like this can add to the evidence, understanding what is going on is what is done with the evidence and ideally it should not ignore key pieces of evidence.

We are in an inter-glacial period right now and there is a good deal of concern that we could be heading back into an ice age. Global warming may in fact be keeping us out of it. Importantly Kyoto does not adress the problem, it costs money and in future tighter central planning schemes will be pushed to curb emissions when applications of technology can yield better results (again geosequestration and climate engineering). Claiming consensus left, right and centre without actually putting up your evidence is not science, it is politics.

Is it even worth pointing out to you that the issue here is solar output and it's effect on climate? Just as Milankovitch cycles have periodic effects on how much solar energy reaches the earth and tempreture is altered correspondingly.

Last edited:
Ooooh another scary man with an agenda - how dare he look at more than 200 years of time
`They call me a global warming heretic," says David Bellamy, the conservationist who has dismissed the imminent demise of the planet under a tidal wave of melted polar ice caps as "poppycock". "I have assured them that they cannot burn me at the stake because of all the dioxins my body will give off." The bearded botanist emits a hoot at this scientific bon mot, but in truth he isn't finding his current predicament very funny at all.

Ever since he stuck his head above the undergrowth to question the view that man-made carbon dioxide emissions are responsible for climate change, Bellamy has found himself frozen out of the debate on global warming. Rather than blaming pollutants, he argues that the current change in climate is simply part of an eons-old global cycle; one that humans are as powerless to stop as they are blameless in starting. "Natural climate change has been happening for a long time," he says. "If you were sitting in London 10,000 years ago there would be woolly rhinos walking around because it would be the end of the ice age. Now we are in a pretty wobbly phase and some people are saying that this is caused by carbon dioxide pouring into the atmosphere and drowning us all. I just don't believe that."

The problem is that the thought police of the conservation community will brook no dissent and have contrived to silence his voice and that of his supporters. "I always thought that was what science was all about: arguing publicly and publishing both sides of the point, finding the answer," he says. "But we simply cannot get our stuff published. They don't tolerate dissent because they are not telling the truth. There is no consensus whatsoever on global warming; there are just as many people dissenting but they will not publish those papers in journals."

He believes the reason that non-believers are being silenced is fear: after all it is reassuring to think that whatever the cataclysm ahead we at least have the power to head it off. Much less comforting to believe that there is nothing we can do.

Bellamy, who endeared himself to a generation with his mangled pronunciations and saliva-soaked enthusiasm on television, might make an unlikely rebel, but that is what, reluctantly, he has become. He is no apologist for the car industry, he says, though his views are likely to be more acceptable around the water coolers of General Motors than Greenpeace. "If you believe that CO2 actually is causing man-made global warming then the car is bad news," he says. "But I think the car industry should be patted on the back. They are all doing their bit making more and more efficient cars, and increased fuel efficiency is a good thing because it will make the oil last longer."
source

A_Wanderer said:
Is it even worth pointing out to you that the issue here is solar output and it's effect on climate? Just as Milankovitch cycles have periodic effects on how much solar energy reaches the earth and tempreture is altered correspondingly.

As I said before, the importance of solar activity and Milankovitch cycles in climate modelling are widely recognized throughout the scientific community. It's very important to review every piece of information in this. However, it's impossible to review this particular scientist's claim as the 'article' lacks sufficient information. I'm highly suspicious of claims like this when it's not backed up.

Back
Top Bottom